The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

Good luck App against LSU, go get it done. Are the Mountaineers projected to be at the top of the FCS (I-AA) again?

I'm actually excited about Duke football this upcoming season...we've got a great new coach, a stellar QB coming in, and a manageable schedule. All I want is an ACC win, preferably against those losers from Orange County.

I'm also excited about the Duke/NC State game at Wallace Wade...it'll be the first (and only!) time I'll see a Duke/State game as an undergrad here.

ECU!!! YAY!!!

Ewwww..... :P

Wooo! College football is back! My team(s) probably won't be very good but who cares.

Mine either! It's all about the "U" for me, but we're going to struggle BIG time this season....

The good news is, at least the game will be available on ESPN 360! :D

Ewwww..... :P

Mine either! It's all about the "U" for me, but we're going to struggle BIG time this season....

The good news is, at least the game will be available on ESPN 360! :D

ESPN 360 is the devil incarnate, for various reasons. I have to say I was very unhappy when I realized I was going to have to watch the beginning of the Paul Johnson era on my computer. On top of that I've had to find somewhere other than my apartment because Time Warner is rightly telling ESPN to go @#!$ themselves.

State kicks it off tonight. I dont know if we stand a change against South Carolina.. probably not.. I expect us to do moderately better then last year.. hopefully finish 6-6(or better) and go to a bowl which will be a big accomplishment. Of course Jamal Eugene is already hurt, so there goes our running game, unless Andre Brown can kick it up a notch.

As a State fan, State/Duke used to be a great football rivalry (until they put us in different divisions and ended that.. in fact we got totally screwed.. they put us in the Non-NC division with FSU, BC, VT, Va and Miami.) Can anyone tell me what in the world is wrong with Duke football? JUST when they get a coach into his third year and he wins 2-3 games, they think "OH.. we are on the way up now.. lets hire a BIG name coach" and fire the current coach and pick a new one who has to start the cycle all over again. They have done this 2 or three times since I was a undergrad at State starting in 98.. I know I'm supposed to hate duke, but it was fun for State to play Duke and Duke pulled out all the stops, flea flickers, trick plays, fake punts, and would play state close.. State won every game of course, but they were close.. like 28-21, 21-14 etc. I had a lot of respect for the former coach since he was making big steps and strides (won a conference game for the first time in eons) and they fired him for no reason whatsoever... makes absolutely no sense to me. The current coach is from missippi (ole miss? miss state? not sure) so he has worked a big name program and should have some success.. but the coaching carousel at Duke has to stop before they will have any success.

Also..why is it that USC (So Cal) is picked number 1 over all every bleeping year preseason when they have done nothing in the last couple of years to deserve it? They won the championship..what? 4 years ago? And they claimed they were going for three, when really they only got 1.. (LSU won that year.. not them. .regardless of the AP poll)... Why is everybody so stuck on USC? Sure..they recruit good.. but the guys dont stay.. they are full of one and dones every year.. look for a team with history and returning students like Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, Miami, Notre Dame someone like that to be no 1.. not USC. The prejudice for polls to align with big schools is why UNC State Wake and other ACC schools get no respect.. we could go undefeated and still not play for a national title.. and dont get me started on the calamity that is the BCS... stupid computers dont know how to pick football teams..

Anyway.. thus endeth the rant.

ESPN 360 is the devil incarnate, for various reasons. I have to say I was very unhappy when I realized I was going to have to watch the beginning of the Paul Johnson era on my computer. On top of that I've had to find somewhere other than my apartment because Time Warner is rightly telling ESPN to go @#!$ themselves.

Well, I have RR....so, will I not get the game then??

Well, I have RR....so, will I not get the game then??

Last time I checked I couldn't access it with road runner, maybe its changed in the last week. But all I've ever got was a screen telling me to contact my service provider and complain. If you google it there are supposedly ways around it but I just found somewhere else to watch it that wasn't a Time Warner connection, but part of me wants to not watch the game out of principal for how stupid ESPN360's business model is.

Last time I checked I couldn't access it with road runner, maybe its changed in the last week. But all I've ever got was a screen telling me to contact my service provider and complain. If you google it there are supposedly ways around it but I just found somewhere else to watch it that wasn't a Time Warner connection, but part of me wants to not watch the game out of principal for how stupid ESPN360's business model is.

It just seems EVERYONE always has a problem with TWC! MASN, ESPN360....jeesh, why can't they all just GET ALONG?!

Grrr.

Ill be pulling for App State this year oh yeah...and UNC ;) ). My nephew is on the team! (will probably get red shirted being a freshman and may not play), but still, hes practicing with and eating meals with the team, so whether hes on the field or not, Ill be a proud uncle! ;)

I may be at State but...

GO AUBURN

The deep south never leaves you, nor does the love of college football. I should be at Auburn.

WAR EAGLE :)

(I have two good friends who are Auburn Alums)

State kicks it off tonight. I dont know if we stand a change against South Carolina.. probably not.. I expect us to do moderately better then last year.. hopefully finish 6-6(or better) and go to a bowl which will be a big accomplishment. Of course Jamal Eugene is already hurt, so there goes our running game, unless Andre Brown can kick it up a notch.

As a State fan, State/Duke used to be a great football rivalry (until they put us in different divisions and ended that.. in fact we got totally screwed.. they put us in the Non-NC division with FSU, BC, VT, Va and Miami.) Can anyone tell me what in the world is wrong with Duke football? JUST when they get a coach into his third year and he wins 2-3 games, they think "OH.. we are on the way up now.. lets hire a BIG name coach" and fire the current coach and pick a new one who has to start the cycle all over again. They have done this 2 or three times since I was a undergrad at State starting in 98.. I know I'm supposed to hate duke, but it was fun for State to play Duke and Duke pulled out all the stops, flea flickers, trick plays, fake punts, and would play state close.. State won every game of course, but they were close.. like 28-21, 21-14 etc. I had a lot of respect for the former coach since he was making big steps and strides (won a conference game for the first time in eons) and they fired him for no reason whatsoever... makes absolutely no sense to me. The current coach is from missippi (ole miss? miss state? not sure) so he has worked a big name program and should have some success.. but the coaching carousel at Duke has to stop before they will have any success.

Also..why is it that USC (So Cal) is picked number 1 over all every bleeping year preseason when they have done nothing in the last couple of years to deserve it? They won the championship..what? 4 years ago? And they claimed they were going for three, when really they only got 1.. (LSU won that year.. not them. .regardless of the AP poll)... Why is everybody so stuck on USC? Sure..they recruit good.. but the guys dont stay.. they are full of one and dones every year.. look for a team with history and returning students like Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, Miami, Notre Dame someone like that to be no 1.. not USC. The prejudice for polls to align with big schools is why UNC State Wake and other ACC schools get no respect.. we could go undefeated and still not play for a national title.. and dont get me started on the calamity that is the BCS... stupid computers dont know how to pick football teams..

GO PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!

How convenient... State gets to begin the season by getting clobbered by SC and UNC starts thier schedule against 1-AA McNeese State.. can anyone say cupcake schedule? The sad thing is Rivals.com has UNC barely winning the game.. LOL...

Duke was not making strides. Roof was a mistake, was in over his head and should have never gotten to keep the job after being the interim head coach, end of story. He hadn't won a conference game since 2004 and the only BCS team he beat since then was Northwestern last year. Cutcliffe will be a much better coach and Duke should win more games this year, probably on 3 or 4, than it has in the past three years combined.

USC has been number one in the past (they are #3 to start the year this time) because of their talent level and Pete Carrol. And, as an aside, they don't have one and dones because of the NFL's rules you must be in school 3 years before you can inter the NFL. As for the other schools you list as potential #1's the only one on that list thats got a shot this year is (t)OSU. The other title contenders are definitely the University (sic) of Georgia, Oklahoma and maybe Florida, plus I'm sure there will be a darkhorse who emerges.

As for the ACC schools earning no respect, the reason is that the ACC has been mediocre at best for the past 5 years. They've only won a single BCS bowl game and that was in 1999 when FSU was a national champion. Until someone starts contending for a national title and the conference stops loosing non-conference games they won't be highly ranked or for that matter at all.

Duke was not making strides. Roof was a mistake, was in over his head and should have never gotten to keep the job after being the interim head coach, end of story. He hadn't won a conference game since 2004 and the only BCS team he beat since then was Northwestern last year. Cutcliffe will be a much better coach and Duke should win more games this year, probably on 3 or 4, than it has in the past three years combined.

USC has been number one in the past (they are #3 to start the year this time) because of their talent level and Pete Carrol. And, as an aside, they don't have one and dones because of the NFL's rules you must be in school 3 years before you can inter the NFL. As for the other schools you list as potential #1's the only one on that list thats got a shot this year is (t)OSU. The other title contenders are definitely the University (sic) of Georgia, Oklahoma and maybe Florida, plus I'm sure there will be a darkhorse who emerges.

As for the ACC schools earning no respect, the reason is that the ACC has been mediocre at best for the past 5 years. They've only won a single BCS bowl game and that was in 1999 when FSU was a national champion. Until someone starts contending for a national title and the conference keeps loosing non-conference games they won't be highly ranked or for that matter at all.

I hear what your saying.. but its hard to win a bowl game when you dont get picked for one. I know its the teams responsibility to win games, but I believe there may be an example in the past were a team with a winning record or at least .500 didnt get picked for a bowl, even though there should be plenty of bowls to go around.. I wonder some years if they will for the first time invite a team with a losing record when they run out of teams.

State is trying hard to up thier BCS ranking by playing quailty non conference teams (Ohio State as the reigning Nat Champs and took them to three overtimes? remember that).. Weve scheduled teams in the past few years like Notre Dame and South Carolina.. everyone else takes the easy win against UNC Greensboro (tongue in cheek) while we lose by 3 points in triple OT and get painted like we are terrible... States non conference play this year is SC (very tough), ECU always a dangerous team.. beat us bad a couple of years ago, William and Mary (cupcake, but local from nearby Va) and U. South Florida, which is a small team but dangerous and has pulled off some big upsets. Other than WnM, thats 3 quality BCS opponents in the NonConf schedule.

As far as Duke is concerned.. I wish them luck and I hope they get stuff worked out.. its hard to recruit players or have them stay when the coach changes every two years... if Cutcliffe can stay on for 5 or 6 years they will have much success... build a system and then recruit players who fit it. Duke players are obviously smart or they wouldnt be at Duke.. they can do wonders with 4 years of the same coaching staff...

South Carolina isn't tough. Nor is ECU. So really State has an "ok" non-conference schedule, followed by an "ok" conference schedule. Hardly impressive on either end.

Amato was a joke the last few years at State, and thus we fell (rankings AND respect wise) pretty swiftly from the glorious Rivers days. We've still got a lot of work to do to get our program back up. Tom O'Brien should get it done however; just look what he did at BC.

We may not be able to dominate basketball in the region, but football should absolutely be ours. So disappointing the last few seasons have been.

WAR EAGLE :)

(I have two good friends who are Auburn Alums)

Yes War Eagle indeed. State has been depressing the last few seasons, but my home-state Tigers have been doing the complete opposite...getting better and more respected with each passing year. Always a contender.

Wow ESPN360 was even worse then I thought it would be... couldn't even keep up with the game on a good connection. But on the bright side GT whipped Jacksonville State so badly I didn't feel the need to deal with the spotty connection for the second half.

This game was over when Wilson got hurt. We were just starting to move the ball. This is going to be a long, grueling season to watch if we're stuck with Evans the whole time.

Couldn't agree more. Getting stuck with Daniel Evans (again) would be the worst thing that could happen to NC State. I'd be happy with taking the redshirt off of Glennon if Wilson is out for a significant amount of time.

Wasted defensive effort. Silly Gamecock fans chanting "SEC" at the end there...this wasn't a conference power matchup. Oh well. Just hope Wilson is ok.

Must say though...for a second there I actually thought we were off to a great start to our season...just for a second...

...but the truth came out later on. Didn't take long either.

Silly Gamecock fans chanting "SEC" at the end there...this wasn't a conference power matchup.

Doesn't matter, it's not like this was Georgia killing Duke. The no better than SEVENTH BEST team in the SEC just kicked the ever loving snot out of a team that should be at LEAST middle of the road in the ACC. Nice to see that State is irrelevant not only in basketball, but football, too! I'd wager that if South Carolina was back in the ACC they'd be challenging for division titles. If the Gamecocks fans wanna chant SEC, more power to them, because while we already knew that the top of the SEC is better than the top of the ACC, we now know that the middle of the SEC is better than the middle of the ACC. And we all know Vandy'd slaughter Duke, too... so there. The ACC has some SERIOUS catching up to do if they want to even approach national relevance on the gridiron.

Oh, and I see we have some Auburn fans here. Fantastic. The more hate on Bama here, the better.

Wasted defensive effort. Silly Gamecock fans chanting "SEC" at the end there...this wasn't a conference power matchup. Oh well. Just hope Wilson is ok.

Must say though...for a second there I actually thought we were off to a great start to our season...just for a second...

...but the truth came out later on. Didn't take long either.

Yeah..the Defense played fantastic.. unbelievable really that with 4 interceptions we got no points. 34-0?? Damn.. i went to bed at 20-0 and I figured that was as bad as it would get... did we even play the 4th quarter?? *edit* happened there? I guess at that point it didnt really matter.

Evans played terrible.. several sacks and two interceptions, although the two fumbles were on the snapper, not him..

Wilson it would seem is fine.. thumbs up as he was carted off, but they said a concussion.. and we hockey fans know that could mean he plays next week against william and mary, or he's out for the season..ya never know.

Andre Brown ran the ball ok.. not fantastic.. dont know if Eugene could have done better..

All in all very dissapointing.. SC had no control in the first half and going to the locker rooms down 3-0 on a last minute field goal was fantastic.. the second half was a train wreck... hope they get that fixed fast. If we play this way against ECU it will be another 34-0 contest.

How is a schedule with games against BC, FSU, Miami, Maryland and Wake Forest just "ok"? Wake Forest is no joke and the others are normally at the top of the conference, although FSU has struggled a little lately. Clemson, South Florida and Wake are in the top 25, so thats 3 ranked opponents. Currently Carolina's only ranked opponent is Va Tech. With Non-conf against McNeese State, Rutgers and UConn... love how they get to play football against basketball powerhouses. If our schedule is "ok" then UNC's schedule is downright easy. No Wake, No FSU, No Clemson.

As far as Duke's issues, I should get to see tommorrow if things are better in the cutcliffe era.. My fiancees mom works at Duke hospital and has tickets to saturdays game against james madison. Thats a game I would assume Duke can win.. so lets see how they do. Hopefully they can win it. This will also be another conference stadium I get to go to which is cool, I've been to games at UNC and Clemson, so add Duke to the list. Maybe she can get us tickets to this years State Duke game.. I would love that.

Doesn't matter, it's not like this was Georgia killing Duke. The no better than SEVENTH BEST team in the SEC just kicked the ever loving snot out of a team that should be at LEAST middle of the road in the ACC. Nice to see that State is irrelevant not only in basketball, but football, too! I'd wager that if South Carolina was back in the ACC they'd be challenging for division titles. If the Gamecocks fans wanna chant SEC, more power to them, because while we already knew that the top of the SEC is better than the top of the ACC, we now know that the middle of the SEC is better than the middle of the ACC. And we all know Vandy'd slaughter Duke, too... so there. The ACC has some SERIOUS catching up to do if they want to even approach national relevance on the gridiron.

Oh, and I see we have some Auburn fans here. Fantastic. The more hate on Bama here, the better.

I wouldn't be so quick to call NC State a middle of the road ACC team. If they play like that all year it won't matter if it is against SEC competition or the bottom of the ACC. As for SC challenging for ACC division titles, they probably would be, but they have also challenged for SEC East titles in the past few years (primarily 2006). This is a team everyone has been waiting to really contend and never has to the level they should have. But I'm splitting hairs, whether or not SC belongs in the top, top, middle or bottom of the SEC doesn't really matter, the SEC is better than the ACC right now and until the ACC wins some games to prove otherwise there is not really an argument.

1) The SEC is the best conference in football. No argument from anyone else is relevant or acceptable.

2) Anytime you need hate put on Alabame THM, just lemme know. I never pass up a chance to diss them. Ever. They all think Saban is gonna save their program; HAH! Makes me appreciate Tommy Tuberville even more.

3) Erin, when I said State's schedule is ok, I guess I was thinking about it in terms of an SEC team's schedule (like SC). Yeah, all the teams you mentioned that we have to play are tough, to a degree. But really they're only tough to teams that don't know better; other teams in tougher conferences would LOVE to have Miami and FSU as conference opponents--they'd be "W" games even before stepping on the field. Times have really changed; no one fears them anymore. Clemson is good, we'll know more about them as they face a solid SEC team, Alabama. Clemson should win, but IMO a middle-of-the-road SEC team can often beat a top team from a weaker conference. We'll see I guess. BC is alright, and Wake Forest is real good. So maybe one, two teams there to talk highly of...the rest get a pass from me.