The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
truecaniac163

NCAA Football thread

1) The SEC is the best conference in football. No argument from anyone else is relevant or acceptable.

2) Anytime you need hate put on Alabame THM, just lemme know. I never pass up a chance to diss them. Ever. They all think Saban is gonna save their program; HAH! Makes me appreciate Tommy Tuberville even more.

3) Erin, when I said State's schedule is ok, I guess I was thinking about it in terms of an SEC team's schedule (like SC). Yeah, all the teams you mentioned that we have to play are tough, to a degree. But really they're only tough to teams that don't know better; other teams in tougher conferences would LOVE to have Miami and FSU as conference opponents--they'd be "W" games even before stepping on the field. Times have really changed; no one fears them anymore. Clemson is good, we'll know more about them as they face a solid SEC team, Alabama. Clemson should win, but IMO a middle-of-the-road SEC team can often beat a top team from a weaker conference. We'll see I guess. BC is alright, and Wake Forest is real good. So maybe one, two teams there to talk highly of...the rest get a pass from me.

To play devils advocate a bit on your first point:

The SEC has been the best conference for the past few years but that doesn't mean they will continue to be the best this year. Time will tell if that continues this year but by midseason someone else might be able to make that claim depending on the outcomes of conference games. People read too much into the stomping of (t)OSU by SEC teams two years in a row, the SEC has been the best but it is not head and shoulders above the Pac 10 at least. Things change quickly and another conference could come into dominance very suddenly.

1) The SEC is the best conference in football. No argument from anyone else is relevant or acceptable.

2) Anytime you need hate put on Alabame THM, just lemme know. I never pass up a chance to diss them. Ever. They all think Saban is gonna save their program; HAH! Makes me appreciate Tommy Tuberville even more.

3) Erin, when I said State's schedule is ok, I guess I was thinking about it in terms of an SEC team's schedule (like SC). Yeah, all the teams you mentioned that we have to play are tough, to a degree. But really they're only tough to teams that don't know better; other teams in tougher conferences would LOVE to have Miami and FSU as conference opponents--they'd be "W" games even before stepping on the field. Times have really changed; no one fears them anymore. Clemson is good, we'll know more about them as they face a solid SEC team, Alabama. Clemson should win, but IMO a middle-of-the-road SEC team can often beat a top team from a weaker conference. We'll see I guess. BC is alright, and Wake Forest is real good. So maybe one, two teams there to talk highly of...the rest get a pass from me.

As a State fan who is also an Auburn fan, yeah.. I can completely agree that the ACC is no where near on par with the SEC.. I never made that claim... when I say teams like SC and ECU and FSU are tough I mean tough FOR US. ECU will be a tough game for us, maybe not because they are good, but because they know us and know how to beat us.. if we can get our damn act together (and not lose 3 players a game like against SC) we can beat FSU, we've beaten them 3 or 4 times, with Mike OCain and Amato and maybe even with OBrien. UNC has beaten FSU and Clemson has beaten FSU. You are right, they arent that tough anymore. We have 3 ranked opponents in our schedule.. Wake, Clemson and South Florida... Wake is like 23rd.. so they may be unranked by the time we play them, but they are a good team. Clemson as you mentioned should be good, we shall see. South Florida? Who knows.. obviously they have pulled off big upsets in the past.. also beating State as an unranked team wouldnt even be considered an upset, so i guess it doesnt matter.

As far as the toughness of the schedule, yeah it may not par up to USC's schedule or Ohio State, but taking for granted it is an ACC schedule, and you can't help a cupcake game like vs Duke, State has a tough run through the ACC ranks because of our division. At least in years past, playing FSU AND Miami would have been suicide. They arent as good as they used to be, so maybe State can pull one out? UNC Maryland and Clemson are pretty good, State can beat them, will be close games most likely. Boston College and Wake Forest are probably two of the best teams in the conference right now (at least they were last year) so expect losses there. Duke is well.. Duke.. we've already dicussed, they should be much better then years past, but State should win easy..if they dont we have serious issues. If we lose to william and mary I probably wont even bother to watch the rest of the season..which is fine since after that none of the games except the thursday FSU game would be on TV any way. I am a diehard State fan.. but the last couple of seasons have just made me sick to my stomach..sometimes its painful to watch them struggle so much. I hope T OB has his stuff together, lest his visit to raleigh be a short one.

Auburn should stay in the top 10.. no problems there.. State needs to figure out what the heck they are doing... Wilsons injury is just an even more glaring reason of why the 2 QB system doesnt work.. each guy had only played one or two series and wasnt fully warmed up.. Evans was expecting to play half the game and not have to finish out the whole game.. he doesnt have that "back up" mentality like "if something happens.. i gotta come in and finish things up" he was just thinking "i'm up next series" and only thinking 3 plays into the future. Obviously he was flustered and didnt know what to do. You can't have two starters and no back up.. as we've seen it will be disasterous if one gets hurt and the other has toplay 100% of the snaps, cause they dont know what to do.

To play devils advocate a bit on your first point:

The SEC has been the best conference for the past few years but that doesn't mean they will continue to be the best this year. Time will tell if that continues this year but by midseason someone else might be able to make that claim depending on the outcomes of conference games. People read too much into the stomping of (t)OSU by SEC teams two years in a row, the SEC has been the best but it is not head and shoulders above the Pac 10 at least. Things change quickly and another conference could come into dominance very suddenly.

No depth in Pac 10. USC six consecutive league championships; completely knocks the conference out of the picture in terms of comparison to the SEC. I in no way see the SEC losing ground to any of the other conferences; our team depth is incredible and even better the coaches we have in the league are SECOND to none. Saban, Tuberville, Fulmer, Spurrier, Meyer, Miles, Nutt, Richt, Petrino, Brooks; the list is mind-blowing. No greater collection ever assembled like this before. I mean it really is amazing that a team can come out of the SEC with more than 8-9 wins; esp. considering all the great coaches.

The SEC just signed a monsterous deal with ESPN and CBS to have practically all their games televised; in the next 15 years this deal will bring in the SEC around 2.2 billion dollars. You think the "Big Ten Network" is special? HAH. This deal is a slap in the face to that. The SEC is everything right now, and the media knows it.

The SEC has lead the nation in total attendance (per conference) for 22 years STRAIGHT. Set records all over the place. The SEC went like 7-2 in bowls last season (9 teams sent to bowls was a record), Big Ten was like 2-5 or something. I'm not sure how the Pac 10 did; have to look into that.

The point is though that right now the SEC is dominating college football; playing wise, fan wise, and coverage wise. Yes things can change in future seasons, but I don't see the SEC magically dropping off anytime soon. MAYBE the Pac 10 can continue to grow, but they gotta fix that USC-dominance issue first. I don't see the Big Ten doing anything but continuing to suck for the next few years. ACC is a joke, Big East as well; Big 12 not too bad but really Oklahoma has gotta close the deal in their bowl games to gain respect. Kansas and Missouri will be interesting to watch. But still there's a lack of depth in the Big 12. And bowl victories.

SEC is best. No way to escape it now.

Ya know it wasnt too long ago, maybe 4 or 5 years ago that the ACC would send 6-7 teams to bowls.. and that was when we only had 8 teams in the conference. I dont know what happened, but OCains last year and Amatos first three State went to 4 bowls in a row, yes they were lower teir like Micron PC bowls, and the one time we went to the Orange bowl I think we lost. But you could count on the same 4 or 5 teams to make a bowl every year, NC State, Florida State, Maryland, Virginia... some years Clemson some years UNC. Strangly since we upped the conference to 12 teams and added "powerhouses" like Miami, VTech and BC football in the ACC has been awful.. What happened? i dont know... I know one thing.. the layouts of the two divisions BLOW... teams that formally would go undefeated until they met in the last game of the season like FSU and Miami and Virginia/Virginia Tech now meet up in the first or second game of the year and it counts as a conference loss for someone. Never again can any of those teams go undefeated and then meet in a bowl cause they knock each other off in conference first. The first year in the league FSU and Miami played each other the first game of the year.. I understood it was a lot of hoopla for the "new" conference.. but how ridiculous it was, that two teams who had gone undefeated or only 1 loss the year before now one or the other of them would start the season 0-1...

As far as the other conference.. the PAC 10 is a joke.. USC dominates every year cause the rest of the teams suck.. I wonder sometimes why USC is number #1 sometimes even if they are undefeated thier strength of schedule is awful and some team like Souther Methodist or something will be undefeated and unranked with the #2 hardest schedule in the nations.. but then again the polls never make any sense and the BCS is totally wacked out.

The Big Ten is outdated... all those midwestern schools still play run 1 yard at a time big corn fed smashmouth football.. which is great.. but its been replaced with NFL style passing and triple options and things of that nature and they get chased off the field..

The Big east is weird.. not much going on there since Miami BC and VT bolted to the ACC... somehow they have like 16 teams in the conference for basketball.. i never understood that.. they absorbed some other conference... something like that..

The ACC used to be a football conference.. I'm not sure whats happened.. I guess people around here only care about basketball...

New season, new bragging post.

2007-shb-ecu.jpg

See that? Nice, huh?

How'd State do in their bowl game last year? B)

Nah, but in all seriousness, I'm so glad college football's starting again. Always the best part of being a college student. I'm torn about the Pirates though. On the one hand, I want them to do well, and I know as long as Skip is the coach, you can never count them out. On the other hand, with the schedule we've got, there's a very real chance of starting 0-4. And Chris(t) Johnson can't be easy to replace.

Still, it's about the experience, not the results. Nothing better than a college football crowd.

New season, new bragging post.

2007-shb-ecu.jpg

See that? Nice, huh?

How'd State do in their bowl game last year? B)

Nah, but in all seriousness, I'm so glad college football's starting again. Always the best part of being a college student. I'm torn about the Pirates though. On the one hand, I want them to do well, and I know as long as Skip is the coach, you can never count them out. On the other hand, with the schedule we've got, there's a very real chance of starting 0-4. And Chris(t) Johnson can't be easy to replace.

Still, it's about the experience, not the results. Nothing better than a college football crowd.

Yeah, I'm excited about this season, yet awaiting the start of the game today with a little dread as well. While ECU has been known to be a giant killer in the past, starting the season against two top 25 ranked out of conference teams (VT and WVU), things could start looking ugly very fast. Though that may also make people overlook us, as well.

The running game by committee is something I'm very interested to see. Ironically, whenever I play EA Sports NCAA Football I play as ECU and do a running by committee gameplan because there have always been some decent running backs at ECU, and I've really kicked butt with it. So we could really shock people if it actually works in the real game as well.

Go Pirates!

Well, while I wouldn't call it an upset, it's still a great win. That blocked punt was simply beautiful. Just a great play.

Now we prepare for West Virginia, and upset them :P

Dumb mistakes and penalties are all they really need to work on. Typical first game stuff. If they can get those under control and have the same turnover ratio they did last year then everyone on the schedule better watch out for us. Defense looks strong (so great to see that), running game was good, and Pinkney looked very good as well. Wasn't a fan of him last year and preferred Kass, but today it was all Pinkney and he looked great.

The most frustrating thing is that the score didn't reflect the game very well. ECU was much better overall, but just a couple of very quick mistakes put them in the hole. Though maybe that will make everyone continue to underestimate us. ;)

Sad to see the stands look like a VT home game, but like the announcers said VT is closer to Charlotte than ECU is. I'm sick of the games being scheduled there, especially when we always play in Blacksburg and hardly ever here in Greenville. Makes sense for UNC or State to have home/home/neutral, but not VT when we finally get a chance to have a home game. Hope ECU gets a nice fat check from the revenues from that, because if VT gets any I'd really be upset. Though it did feel good watching the fans streaming out dejected like they did before the game even was over after watching them be so overconfident for most of the game.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing ECU win next weekend, though. :D

... the Big Ten is a joke.. OSU dominates every year cause the rest of the teams suck.. I wonder sometimes why OSU is number #1 sometimes even if they are undefeated their strength of schedule is awful

Fixed that for you.

Dumb mistakes and penalties are all they really need to work on. Typical first game stuff. If they can get those under control and have the same turnover ratio they did last year then everyone on the schedule better watch out for us. Defense looks strong (so great to see that), running game was good, and Pinkney looked very good as well. Wasn't a fan of him last year and preferred Kass, but today it was all Pinkney and he looked great.

The most frustrating thing is that the score didn't reflect the game very well. ECU was much better overall, but just a couple of very quick mistakes put them in the hole. Though maybe that will make everyone continue to underestimate us. ;)

Sad to see the stands look like a VT home game, but like the announcers said VT is closer to Charlotte than ECU is. I'm sick of the games being scheduled there, especially when we always play in Blacksburg and hardly ever here in Greenville. Makes sense for UNC or State to have home/home/neutral, but not VT when we finally get a chance to have a home game. Hope ECU gets a nice fat check from the revenues from that, because if VT gets any I'd really be upset. Though it did feel good watching the fans streaming out dejected like they did before the game even was over after watching them be so overconfident for most of the game.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing ECU win next weekend, though. :D

This stunned me. When I first turned on the game, and noticed that it wasn't on ECU's home turf, I thought to myself "Now wait, wasn't last year's contest AT Blacksburg? Why are they playing in Charlotte this time?". What is the deal with that? VaTech is too good to come to Greenville? What *edit*.

And yes you guys need to beat WVA; I don't know if they're gonna be real good again or not with their NFL exits. Auburn plays them later on in October I think.

The penalties were ridiculous. Every flag seemed to be against ECU. Ticked me off.

And that short period where we fumbled it twice in a minute, I had to step away from the TV. The first one's fine, I guess. Everyone's allowed to make a bad catch once in a while. But the second one, the kickoff return one? Jeez, even people who don't follow football know that once you gaff the return, jump on the ball. Don't try and pick it up and run or you'll end up with what happened there.

How did the ACC fare in the first week of the 2008 season?

Wake Forest: convincingly defeated Baylor.

Miami: defeated I-AA Charleston Southern

Georgia Tech: defeated I-AA Jacksonville State

N.C. State: SHUT OUT and BEAT DOWN by South Carolina on national TV

Virginia Tech: GETS UPSET by East Carolina when the Pirates beat them at their own game (special teams)

Virginia: TOTALLY OBLITERATED at home by Southern Cal

Maryland: barely scrapes by I-AA Delaware

Duke: defeated I-AA James Madison

North Carolina: barely scrapes by I-AA McNeese State

Boston College: defeated Kent State

Clemson: COMPLETELY EMBARRASSED on national TV by Alabama

Florida State: no game

So, by my math, that's 5-0 against I-AA teams, with TWO of those (by teams expected to be good this season) not decided til the final minutes. 2-4 against I-A teams, the two victories coming over a MAC team and the worst team in the Big XII. And four losses, two at neutral sites and an expected one in Charlottesville. But the two nationally televised beatdowns to SEC schools are beyond awful.

Take away the conference's automatic BCS berth. This is a sham.

This stunned me. When I first turned on the game, and noticed that it wasn't on ECU's home turf, I thought to myself "Now wait, wasn't last year's contest AT Blacksburg? Why are they playing in Charlotte this time?". What is the deal with that? VaTech is too good to come to Greenville? What *edit*.

Yes, as a fan of ECU football for over 15 years (plus alumnus on top of that), it's so frustrating that we still have this stuff of playing two away games before we can play a home game against VT and WVU. That's if we're lucky. Now we add in playing in Charlotte instead of Greenville, and it's a real slap in the face. I'm just glad WVU is here next week, at least.

It's that kind of stuff that makes it so satisfying to pull off the 'big upset' like today. Though as IceFrogg said earlier, it's not as much of an upset to fans like me following ECU like I do, as it is fans of other teams seeing what we already knew they could do. Though I'm already seeing where the VT fans are saying "If only we had the redshirt QB in the game..." :rolleyes:

And yes you guys need to beat WVA; I don't know if they're gonna be real good again or not with their NFL exits. Auburn plays them later on in October I think.

WVU is kind of a personal thing. We've got family friends that went there and always talk trash when WV wins. This is a year I feel I might finally get a chance to shove it back down their throats, since the past few games have been very close. ECU is better this year than last, even though we lost one of our biggest stars in the NFL draft. VT lost a ton, though, and so did WVU. Plus WV with a new coach, while ECU finally is all Holtz recruits. The key to beating WV for ECU will be shutting down their quarterback. If they can at least slow him, ECU should win this game. If not, they better have their offense ready for a shootout to stay in it, and then it's a crapshoot for who wins.

The penalties were ridiculous. Every flag seemed to be against ECU. Ticked me off.

Oh, don't even get me started on the penalties. That was pathetic. ECU got called for anything and everything and VT nothing. The thing is that ECU had a lot more veterans and VT a bunch of guys playing their first game, so if anything it should have been the opposite. That late hit to start the game? Horrible. He barely stepped on the line and the ECU guy needed to hit him to make sure he was out. The officiating crew was Big Ten though, didn't they say? Or was it Big East? Another major complaint I have along with the playing 2 away and 1 home in those series, is not being able to use Conference USA refs. It's not like it used to be where ECU was independent and didn't have any refs.

And that short period where we fumbled it twice in a minute, I had to step away from the TV. The first one's fine, I guess. Everyone's allowed to make a bad catch once in a while. But the second one, the kickoff return one? Jeez, even people who don't follow football know that once you gaff the return, jump on the ball. Don't try and pick it up and run or you'll end up with what happened there.

Those two fumbles are what made the game so close, too. Take those out, and this could have been a blowout by ECU. Instead, ECU went from looking like they were about to run away with the game to having to dig themselves out of a hole the rest of the game. The second one is what got me the most, too, for the very same reason.

The first one was just a fluke how the ball bounced right up into the defensive player's hands and he was able to run straight in. Speaking of which, same thing for that blocked field goal. Both of those were pure luck and nothing ECU could have done anything about. The fumble on the kick return, though, I was screaming at the guy to just drop on it while he was standing there grabbing down at his feet. That was all his fault, and the game could have been very different with them starting out in decent field position and not suddenly down by 14 a few seconds later. Thank goodness they were able to come back, though, and not just give up on the game at that point.

Hopefully they got those mistakes out of their system. Next week those could very well be even more costly. I'm sure Holtz will be pounding into them to stop the mistakes like that and the penalties this week.

The officials were from the Big 10. I was questioning the officials after that late hit, but it's not like we didn't deserve some of them. That one facemask late in the game? I thought for sure those 15 extra yards would be our undoing.

And to be fair to VT fans, their QB certainly wasn't helping their situation. Their last drive was absolutely terrible. Didn't even know where he was throwing the ball half the time. Now, it's easy to say the game would be different if they had a different QB, but in that same thought process, as you said, the game would be different if we hadn't screwed up on those two fumbles.

Yes, I'm sure most of the penalties were deserved against ECU. It's just, why so few against VT? There was a point where one of the VT players was getting in the faces of ECU, and even the announcers were saying he should be getting a penalty, but nothing. That facemask call made me wish they had kept the old 5 yard minor and 15 yard personal foul versions of facemasks. That was a very minor one, but yes at the worst possible time. That's what made most of the penalties against ECU so bad, was they were at times they mattered. The block below the waist that stopped their drive when they were really starting to march down the field right before the first fumble was returned was another.

And that's exactly it. I feel kind of bad for the QB getting so much blame, as it was really more that the ECU DL was getting to him. The other QB may have been able to run better, but how much does that matter when the problem is the OL isn't protecting the QB to begin with? He would have had nowhere to run. Plus you add in a lot of other factors like those fumbles. What if the PAT wasn't blocked and returned? ECU ties the game at that point, and VT probably collapses. Heck, going the other way one of the OL was already out for VT and another was injured on their first drive, so what if they both could have played the entire game? We could play "What if..." all night about those kinds of things, but the bottom line is that ECU was the better team and deserved the win.

If VT fans want to beat ECU, wait until the next game and they'll have another chance. It's what we go through ourselves quite often with teams like them.

Well, apparently, the coach decided to stay with the QB, even after today's game. Expect a burning effegy by the fans. Still, I think an running QB might have worked better for them, especially when almost all of their recievers were playing their first game.

Speaking of which, how do you think our pass defense will hold up this year? Obviously, last year we were...less than stellar, and it cost us a couple games. In today's game, the secondary didn't really see many deep passes, but when they did, they couldn't stop it. Doesn't bode well, IMO.

Well, it's hard to tell. They gave up really just the one big pass for 62 yards, but then they didn't give up much else other than that. Think the next biggest pass was 17 yards, then all others under 10 beyond that. Was it simply that the DL was putting pressure on the QB, or it seemed to me at least that it was a combo of the receivers being covered well and the DL being able to penetrate and put the pressure on the QB. So no place for the QB to throw and then no place to run with the linemen closing in. The cameras never really showed the secondary well enough to say for certain.

So not sure yet if that was just a fluke and it was simply because the VT QB is that bad and could have been making passes, or if it was for real. It sure looked good overall though, especially for a first game. This next game is going to be very telling. White is a mobile QB, and he also can throw deep, though they say WVU is switching from a running team to a passing team. Saw the highlights of the WVU-Nova game, and he had a few deep passes in that. I'm not familiar enough with the WVU receivers to know if they're experienced or new, or how difficult it will be to cover them. Think their new leading receiver is just a freshman, though.

How did the ACC fare in the first week of the 2008 season?

Wake Forest: convincingly defeated Baylor.

Miami: defeated I-AA Charleston Southern

Georgia Tech: defeated I-AA Jacksonville State

N.C. State: SHUT OUT and BEAT DOWN by South Carolina on national TV

Virginia Tech: GETS UPSET by East Carolina when the Pirates beat them at their own game (special teams)

Virginia: TOTALLY OBLITERATED at home by Southern Cal

Maryland: barely scrapes by I-AA Delaware

Duke: defeated I-AA James Madison

North Carolina: barely scrapes by I-AA McNeese State

Boston College: defeated Kent State

Clemson: COMPLETELY EMBARRASSED on national TV by Alabama

Florida State: no game

So, by my math, that's 5-0 against I-AA teams, with TWO of those (by teams expected to be good this season) not decided til the final minutes. 2-4 against I-A teams, the two victories coming over a MAC team and the worst team in the Big XII. And four losses, two at neutral sites and an expected one in Charlottesville. But the two nationally televised beatdowns to SEC schools are beyond awful.

Take away the conference's automatic BCS berth. This is a sham.

Hey at least no one lost to a 1-AA team this week, but when that is the positive note you're in trouble. I would say it can't get worse than this weekend for the conference but I have a sneaking feeling it might. But on the bright side if the rest of the conference is this bad that means GT might actually be able to make a bowl game this year despite the temporary pain of overhauling its offense way back to the 60's.

On a related note when is Clemson going to fire Bowden? They lay the egg like this at least once a year and loose a sloppy badly played game at the worst time, though it is usually after starting the season off well. With that complete blowout of a game it makes me question who is going to step up and win the conference, not that I didn't expected Clemson to blow there season at some point. At this point the only team who looked impressive against any form of competition is Wake Forest.

The ECU game was good. Looked like they were getting shut down in the first half and made a stunning comeback. Kinda hard for me to pick a side in that game considering VTech is ACC, so I would root for them, and ECU is a NC team, so I would root for them even with ECU being a hated rival of State. All in all I thought both teams played well and it was a great game. ECU had plenty of time to mount a drive, even if they hadnt blocked the punt, but that was just the perfect way to seal it.. dont take any chances and score now.

Besides pouring rain, crazy lightning and a 1 hour delay, the Duke game turned out to be a good game. I never would have expected them to beat anyone 31-7. One cool thing that you would only see if you were there in person, during the rain delay Coach Cutcliffe walked out onto the field and was walking around the track waving and pumping his fist and the crowd was roaring.. and then he walked over in front of the student section and they went absolutely nuts. Dukes QB has a pretty good arm on him.. so much so in fact that whenever a reciever missed a pass, it was because it was overthrown and was too high to catch.. thats a bad mistake, but at the same time it limits the chance for interceptions when the ball sails high out of bounds. One awesome play was the 65 yard interception return that set up dukes 4th touchdown, our seats were in the end zone right behind the goalposts, and JMU had their backs too us marching towards the opposite end zone... I saw the QB through the ball and the Duke player was sitting there kinda squatted down like a reciever waiting on a screen pass the the JMU QB threw it right too him.. he made the catch and then started running back to our side of the field and made it to like the 22 yard line. Even for a non Duke fan, that was a fun game and I had to applaud them for the spectacular butt whooping they laid on JMU.

It's pretty sad when the three best wins the conference can hang its hat on were against Baylor, Kent State, and James Madison. Didn't think it was possible, but the ACC looks even worse than people thought.

But but... adding MIAMI and VIRGINIA TECH was supposed to make the ACC the best football conference in all the land!!! That's what John Swofford told me! But what's actually happened is football's now a joke and the bread and butter of the league - basketball - has been watered down. No more double round robin FOR THIS $&*@?? Awful, awful, awful.

The conference looks as bad, if not worse than, the Big East did two or three years ago. And while Big East football isn't exactly the SEC, they at least have West Virginia and Rutgers and South Florida (!) to give the league a hair of credibility since the Utah/Pittsburgh embarrassment in the 2004(5?) Fiesta Bowl.

But but... adding MIAMI and VIRGINIA TECH was supposed to make the ACC the best football conference in all the land!!! That's what John Swofford told me! But what's actually happened is football's now a joke and the bread and butter of the league - basketball - has been watered down. No more double round robin FOR THIS $&*@?? Awful, awful, awful.

The conference looks as bad, if not worse than, the Big East did two or three years ago. And while Big East football isn't exactly the SEC, they at least have West Virginia and Rutgers and South Florida (!) to give the league a hair of credibility since the Utah/Pittsburgh embarrassment in the 2004(5?) Fiesta Bowl.

Typical Carolina fan... whine whine whine... want some cheese with that?