Sign in to follow this  
bmb2jn

What athletes/teams/sports do you like?

Hockey: Carolina Hurricanes and Philadelphia Flyers

Football: Carolina Panthers and teams with former NC State players

Basketball: NC State (dont watch NBA)

Baseball: NC State and Atlanta Braves

Players:

Eric Staal, Ron Francis, Sami Kapanen (and nearly all former and current Canes)

Philip Rivers (Chargers), Jerricho Cotchery (Jets), Steve Smith (He Hate Me), Julius Peppers

I havent watched baseball in a long time, but I remember watching Chipper Jones hit multiple home runs against the (then) expansion Arizona Diamondbacks in the first year of the new Turner stadium. That was a fun game.. Atlanta won like 13-2... My only game I've been too in person and it was a good one.

Hockey: Hurricanes

Football: Da Bears

Baseball: NL Cubbies; AL Yankees (only because I HATE the White Sox)

Basketball: used to be the Bulls, but haven't seen an NBA game since probably 2000...I kid you not. If you gave me free tickets, I probably wouldn't go.

Favorite athletes: Roger Stabach and Joe Montana....class acts and military men; Mike Singletary; Walter Payton; Scottie Pippin; Ryne Sandberg; Paul O'Neill (I remember one of his at bats in a world series game...must have faced about 15 pitches, and he kept fouling them off and staying alive...finally connected w/ one for a hit. That was great!)

And my idols growing up in the first wave of Title IX: Billie Jean and Martina and Chrissie. Girls Rock!

Carolina Hurricanes - National Hockey League (NHL)

Carolina Panthers - National Football League (NFL)

Duke - because my school has no athletic department (Alamance Community College)

Georgia Force - Arena League Football (AFL)

Houston Astros - Major League Baseball (MLB)

USA Sports (International Tournaments)

Lance Armstrong - Pro Biking

Payne Stewart - Former Pro Golfer (RIP)

Takeru Kobayashi - Professional Hot Dog Eating Champion

Dongchee - South Vietnamese Rice Flicking League (SVRFL)

Omad Malameer Albadui - Arabian Peninsula Ostrich Racing League (APORL)

OK, those last three are a joke

Paul O'Neill (I remember one of his at bats in a world series game...must have faced about 15 pitches, and he kept fouling them off and staying alive...finally connected w/ one for a hit. That was great!)

Oh yeah, I remember that too! Awesome! I loved O'Neill... and Mattingly, too.

don_mattingly.jpg

Wow, I don't remember that poster. Maybe it was because I was 3 years old when it came out. :D But Mattingly use to be my favorite, and probably still is, even though he's on med's Dodgers now :rolleyes: j/k

I personally have lost so much respect for all sports accept for hockey. IMO hockey is truely the ONLY "TEAM " sport left. NBA,NFL,MLB and even most college sports are all about the "LOOK AT ME" *edit* ,"I WANT TO BE ON ESPN PLAYS OF THE WEEK" and thats all most of the players want to do. This dancing,chest pounding and all the other look at me stuff it getting way to out of hand. If your a "PRO" you shouldn't have to do this stuff. It's your job to make a tackle,hit, shot or what ever and you have to celebrate after doing youe job? So a plumber should pound his chest after he unclogs a toilet, a wal-mart cashier goes running and slides across the vegetable isle when they ring you out,,,come on if they did you would say "what the heck are you doing moron". So why is all this stuff accepted in " SPORTS". Plus with the money these athletes make is just ridiculous. Sports IMO has gotten way out of hand and needs to be brought back to reality!!!!

And how dare hockey players celebrate after scoring a goal! It's their job, they shouldn't celebrate at all!

Now Frog did i say that,,just not after every hit,every pass,every save,every shift, if that was the case then yes i would be all over them as well.But after a goal i have no problem with that.. In the NFL someone after every play is doing something to bring attention to themselves. Same in the NBA and college basketball.

Plus Frog, maybe once you have worked for 20 to 30 years you will see what i mean..Once you grow up and live the REAL LIFE you will understand.(maybe) :rolleyes:

I don't see a problem with celebrating in sports. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to sack a QB? To intercept a pass? Probably about as difficult as scoring a goal, if not more so. You accomplish them, and you celebrate and rightly so.

Not to mention the adrenaline high that has to be a constant thing during professional sports. Sorry, but when you compared being a bag boy to playing professional football, you lost me.

I don't see a problem with celebrating in sports. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to sack a QB? To intercept a pass? Probably about as difficult as scoring a goal, if not more so. You accomplish them, and you celebrate and rightly so.

Not to mention the adrenaline high that has to be a constant thing during professional sports. Sorry, but when you compared being a bag boy to playing professional football, you lost me.

See,thats where and i guess its more your generation that likes stuff like that,,to me it shows alot more class if you make it look like you've been there and done that,,like its no big deal,,I am good and they can't stop me attitude shows the team up more than making yourself look foolish,,which by the way most of them do!

Oh yeah Frog,how would you know how hard it is to sack a QB in the NFL??? how many sacks do you have??,,,

yeah thats what i thought-------0

Baseball - Defense is a team sport. Pitcher throws a ground ball, hits it to the 3rd baseman or SS, who throws it to 2nd or SS for a force out there, which in turn, throws it to 1st for the force out there. Double play. THAT gets any baseball fan excited (except the opposing teams fans lol) and even the players.

Basketball - I don't follow basketball enough to know the positions (point guard? center?) but, when you make beautiful passes to one another, and score 2 points, thats great team work.

Football - Again, don't follow football, but I'm sure there's something teamworkish when a QB can throw the ball to a receiver and make that game winning touchdown. I dunno, someone else help me out there.

At the other end of the spectrum, yes you'll have people who are like Manny, Arod, Kobe, T.O.... but it's like that in every sport. Why does Ovechkin get the puck so much? people expect him to score, and when he does some "amazing" goal scoring, it's put onto the Top 10. Arods 500th homer, Kobe's 1000000 point, Farve's 359823750913850 touchdown pass. Yeah, individual stats, but I still like to look at it all as a team sport.

Hockey NHL Carolina Hurricanes AHL Albany River Rats

Baseball Boston Red Sox

Football New England

Basketball Do not follow it much but have to go with The Boston Celtics.

I personally have lost so much respect for all sports accept for hockey. IMO hockey is truely the ONLY "TEAM " sport left. NBA,NFL,MLB and even most college sports are all about the "LOOK AT ME" *edit* ,"I WANT TO BE ON ESPN PLAYS OF THE WEEK" and thats all most of the players want to do. This dancing,chest pounding and all the other look at me stuff it getting way to out of hand. If your a "PRO" you shouldn't have to do this stuff. It's your job to make a tackle,hit, shot or what ever and you have to celebrate after doing youe job? So a plumber should pound his chest after he unclogs a toilet, a wal-mart cashier goes running and slides across the vegetable isle when they ring you out,,,come on if they did you would say "what the heck are you doing moron". So why is all this stuff accepted in " SPORTS". Plus with the money these athletes make is just ridiculous. Sports IMO has gotten way out of hand and needs to be brought back to reality!!!!

This is an interesting discussion.. way off topic for this thread, but interesting nonetheless... Tell me, as a comparision.. what is an "individual" sport? Surprisingly there arent too many... Golf.. Bowling.. Darts... boring stuff right? Everything is a team sport.. Even if only two people like beach volleyball or doubles tennis. Regardless of team or indiviual sports.. there are always individual accomplishments involved in team sports.. blame newspapers... they have been keeping stats like strikeouts, homeruns, runs, stolen bases etc in baseball for the last 140 years. Those are individual accomplishments that help the TEAM win the game. I agree that everytime a guy gets a simple tackle in football he jumps up and waves his arms around its a little annoying, but football is a very high energy game and that energy is what keeps the fans into it. But they have rules.. unsportsmanlike conduct.. excessive celebration... many times they do try to reign this energy in... What do we do as fans when this guy makes a tackle? We yell and scream and clap and wave our arms and dance and jump and scream.. sound familar? Same thing the players do? They feed off the fans and the fans feed off the players.. thats how "spectator sports" work... A slow game like baseball you might get a fist pump from the pitcher after a strikeout.. a fast paced adrenaline soaked game like football you get a dance or a howl or something like that.

I dont disagree with you about the "me me me me me" attitude of most pro atheletes, but nearly all of that stuff happens off the court or off the field... begging for more money.. showing your rear on TV.. getting arrested for shooting someone in a strip club.. .yeah.. a lot of bad press and it makes sports stars seem a little off and a little jaded, but it doesnt have anything to do with the sport itself..

I dont know about everybody else, but when I fix something at home I thump my chest and dance :P

This is an interesting discussion.. way off topic for this thread, but interesting nonetheless... Tell me, as a comparision.. what is an "individual" sport? Surprisingly there arent too many... Golf.. Bowling.. Darts... boring stuff right? Everything is a team sport.. Even if only two people like beach volleyball or doubles tennis. Regardless of team or indiviual sports.. there are always individual accomplishments involved in team sports.. blame newspapers... they have been keeping stats like strikeouts, homeruns, runs, stolen bases etc in baseball for the last 140 years. Those are individual accomplishments that help the TEAM win the game. I agree that everytime a guy gets a simple tackle in football he jumps up and waves his arms around its a little annoying, but football is a very high energy game and that energy is what keeps the fans into it. But they have rules.. unsportsmanlike conduct.. excessive celebration... many times they do try to reign this energy in... What do we do as fans when this guy makes a tackle? We yell and scream and clap and wave our arms and dance and jump and scream.. sound familar? Same thing the players do? They feed off the fans and the fans feed off the players.. thats how "spectator sports" work... A slow game like baseball you might get a fist pump from the pitcher after a strikeout.. a fast paced adrenaline soaked game like football you get a dance or a howl or something like that.

I dont disagree with you about the "me me me me me" attitude of most pro atheletes, but nearly all of that stuff happens off the court or off the field... begging for more money.. showing your rear on TV.. getting arrested for shooting someone in a strip club.. .yeah.. a lot of bad press and it makes sports stars seem a little off and a little jaded, but it doesnt have anything to do with the sport itself..

I dont know about everybody else, but when I fix something at home I thump my chest and dance :P

Hey Eric,

I understand what you are saying about the "individual" sports, and you did mention a few but maybe if the guys whom do all that extra stuff (which now you can get a penalty for in college football) go and high five their "team mates" instead of trying to bring attention to themselves i might not have as much of a problem. Like in hockey when a guy scores he does a small celebration then usually points at the guy that fed him the puck and the guys on the ice all come together and tap each other on the head or do the group hug type thing, thats shows gratitude more than the look at me *edit* that goes on in the NFL. I guess its mostly football that bothers me because i guess its about the most visible or reported on. Not sure about you but i am tired of hearing about T.O.,Mike Vick,T.Romo,Pac-man Jones.Plaxico Burress,Ray Lewis ,Kobe,AI,,Canseco to name a few. So i have to dissagree with you on the point about not having anyting to do with the sport, those guys play that sport to bring attention to themselves and unfortunetly it usually brings a negative atmosphere to the entire team, Because of a individual's actions.

Now if i talk about a guy like Randy Moss,who use to want all the attention on him, he has pretty much decided to keep his mouth shut and be a good team player,, he is a much better player and team mate. He has his QB backing him and going to bat for him as well as other team mates and coaches.

I believe that there are very few players in the NFL,NBA,MLB that could give a you know what about the fans. Its all about them and thier paychecks which is a completely different discussion. So we won't even go there! ;)

Hey Eric,

I understand what you are saying about the "individual" sports, and you did mention a few but maybe if the guys whom do all that extra stuff (which now you can get a penalty for in college football) go and high five their "team mates" instead of trying to bring attention to themselves i might not have as much of a problem. Like in hockey when a guy scores he does a small celebration then usually points at the guy that fed him the puck and the guys on the ice all come together and tap each other on the head or do the group hug type thing, thats shows gratitude more than the look at me *edit* that goes on in the NFL. I guess its mostly football that bothers me because i guess its about the most visible or reported on. Not sure about you but i am tired of hearing about T.O.,Mike Vick,T.Romo,Pac-man Jones.Plaxico Burress,Ray Lewis ,Kobe,AI,,Canseco to name a few. So i have to dissagree with you on the point about not having anyting to do with the sport, those guys play that sport to bring attention to themselves and unfortunetly it usually brings a negative atmosphere to the entire team, Because of a individual's actions.

Now if i talk about a guy like Randy Moss,who use to want all the attention on him, he has pretty much decided to keep his mouth shut and be a good team player,, he is a much better player and team mate. He has his QB backing him and going to bat for him as well as other team mates and coaches.

I believe that there are very few players in the NFL,NBA,MLB that could give a you know what about the fans. Its all about them and thier paychecks which is a completely different discussion. So we won't even go there! ;)

Would seem your more pissed off at off the field actions then the fist pumps and chest bumps on the field?

Which I dont like Tony, but I dont think he's a bad guy. He knew to shut his pie hole when TO tried to bait him into a war of words.

A player makes a sack, and he gets up and lets a roar or whatnot. The other players on defense go and give him your tap on the head, your celebratory chestbump or whatnot, and then when he heads to the sidelines, he gets the same from the offense, from the benchwarmers, the coach, etc.

Rarely is there a "Look at me moment", because it's rare that any player does anything by himself. The QB needs the receiver to catch, the running back needs the O-Line to block, etc. At least, those moments are rare on the field.

Off the field, yeah, there's all kinds of things about players getting in trouble with the law, etc.

A player makes a sack, and he gets up and lets a roar or whatnot. The other players on defense go and give him your tap on the head, your celebratory chestbump or whatnot, and then when he heads to the sidelines, he gets the same from the offense, from the benchwarmers, the coach, etc.

Rarely is there a "Look at me moment", because it's rare that any player does anything by himself. The QB needs the receiver to catch, the running back needs the O-Line to block, etc. At least, those moments are rare on the field.

Off the field, yeah, there's all kinds of things about players getting in trouble with the law, etc.

Are you serious Frog,,how about all those solo dances after a sack,touchdown,interception, or those 5 minute rehearsed hand shakes, it happenes every game.(even my favorite team does it . and i don't like when they do)

Whats even more aggravating is when some team is losing by alot and a guy makes a play or scores on the 2nd or 3rd string and brings attention to himself..No way should that happen,,Yes its a sport but its also their jobs.

So yes the off field problems are a big part of it, but if it were us normal people doing what they do,,we would not still have our jobs!!!Plus all the off field stuff get brought to the field & the team on every sports,or gossip tv & radio show.