The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

ESPN Fantasy Hockey 2010

Also, I have the draft set for late morning, Sunday, September 20. That is negotiable, but works well for me. I can change it if need be.

And if you expressed interest in the other thread, you should have already received a PM from me saying nothing different than what has already been posted above.

Are you commishing a football league to? I'd join that, I lose interest in Fantasy hockey by November.

If I didn't have four other leagues going and 12 hours of classes this first quarter, I would. Though if someone else wants to start one up, I'm totally down.

EricNCSU's wolfpack is ready to go. I hope I'm around for the draft.. I missed my football draft so that stunk, but I got a couple good players with the auto draft.

To answer TTigers question from the other fantasy topic that got closed, I don't think we'll need to limit how many Canes players each person has. No offense to our Canes, who I think can go all the way.. but you got 31 other teams worth of stars to choose from. I'm sure someone in the league will pick up Staal, Ward, Whitney... maybe Ruutu, Jokinen and Cullen... I think someone would put themselves at a disadvantage if they picked Staal, Whitney AND Ruutu over Ovechkin, Crosby, Broduer etc... Staal is ranked 14th.. so he's a first rounder in our league.. next highest is Ward at 40 (3rd round) then Ruutu at 54 (4th? 5th round?). After that it drops off.. Cole at 138, Whitney 137, Jokinen 234 etc... They will find their places in our draft but we have lots of players to choose from.. thats the fun part of Fantasy.. trying to get Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin and Staal all on the same team.. almost like an all star game.

Quick question here, this is my first FHL that I have played in and just wanted to go ask a few things about the stats. PPP stands for Power play points, yes? And for PIM, do you want a player to have more PIM or less?

but you got 31 other teams worth of stars to choose from.

you mean 29 other teams ;)

Quick question here, this is my first FHL that I have played in and just wanted to go ask a few things about the stats. PPP stands for Power play points, yes? And for PIM, do you want a player to have more PIM or less?

you mean 29 other teams ;)

If it scores the same way as yahoo, you get more points for more PIM.. which seems kinda backwards, but it gives you a spot to cash in on an enforcer who's always fighting.

PPP should be PP Points, which counts for goals and assists. The rest of the scoring is pretty self explanatory

30.. 32... Eh.. whats a few extra teams for good measure? LOL NFL has 32, so at least I had a real league in my head...

Why only 4 playoff teams out of 16.. that's a pretty small window for all of us to fit into.'

If it scores the same way as yahoo, you get more points for more PIM.. which seems kinda backwards, but it gives you a spot to cash in on an enforcer who's always fighting.

PPP should be PP Points, which counts for goals and assists. The rest of the scoring is pretty self explanatory

Thanks for the answers!

Personally, I would rather have a different draft time, the day is fine. I am working during the draft time unless I ask for the day off and I don't want to put on my request, I have a fantasy hockey draft to attend to. Wouldn't be cool. LOL. I get off from work at 6:00 pm. I am home around 6:30.

I don't like auto draft since you get stuck with players you don't want. Oh well if it can not be done, then I will just take some vacation time for that day. Heck, I got over 300 hrs of it. Benefit of working for the state, I can take time off when I want to.

Is there a purpose for the vs and at games on the schedule? They don't do that on yahoo.. is "home" and "away" some kind of tiebreaker or is it just to make it seem like a real schedule?

Funny how broken into 22 weeks it makes the hockey schedule more resemble a football schedule.

Is there a purpose for the vs and at games on the schedule? They don't do that on yahoo.. is "home" and "away" some kind of tiebreaker or is it just to make it seem like a real schedule?

Funny how broken into 22 weeks it makes the hockey schedule more resemble a football schedule.

There is an option to assign a "home ice advantage." I don't remember how it works, but it's nothing we'll be using. I know in fantasy football, it's worth like 3 points or something. It CAN be used as a tiebreaker in some cases, though.

And the NHL season runs 26 weeks. However, if you look, our regular season is 22 weeks with only 3 weeks of playoffs. The rationale behind leaving off the extra week is for a balanced schedule. With two eight team divisions, it will go like this:

vs. every team in your division twice = 7x2 = 14

vs. every team in other division once = 8x1 = 8

Total weeks = 22

There was no good way to make the playoffs 4 weeks without going with the 4 team, 2 week per matchup format, and that was a no go.

There is an option to assign a "home ice advantage." I don't remember how it works, but it's nothing we'll be using. I know in fantasy football, it's worth like 3 points or something. It CAN be used as a tiebreaker in some cases, though.

And the NHL season runs 26 weeks. However, if you look, our regular season is 22 weeks with only 3 weeks of playoffs. The rationale behind leaving off the extra week is for a balanced schedule. With two eight team divisions, it will go like this:

vs. every team in your division twice = 7x2 = 14

vs. every team in other division once = 8x1 = 8

Total weeks = 22

There was no good way to make the playoffs 4 weeks without going with the 4 team, 2 week per matchup format, and that was a no go.

Yeah thats cool, the head to head format which turns a "week" into a "game" is just kinda funny since it takes the stats from 3-4 games during the week and posts it as one "game" making it a once a week schedule, like pro football. Obviously you can't play 82 games against each other since not every team plays every night, just a funny quirk of playing fantasy...

Also, i just noticed, I don't know how many of us will be going, but the current draft is the same day as the Caniac Carnival, so that could keep some people away from drafting if they want to go to the Carnival. I dont know if i will be going to the CC this year, but I might if I'm still living here then.

Re: the Draft - I didn't know it was same day as Caniac Carnival. We can definitely switch that date around in that case.

Re: the schedule - I knew what you were getting at, Eric. I was just clarifying the 25 vs. 26 week sked in case someone looked at it and wondered why I cut the last week off.

Okay, I bumped the league up to 18 and the league is FULL. Everyone who PM'ed me should have received an invite as of five minutes of this post.

With the extra teams, I also knocked off the utility slot and one D-man off the rosters to help with depth of the talent pool. Two players over 18 teams is a significant amount. If there's an argument to switch it around more, I'll listen.

I also switched things up to 3 divisions, six teams each.

Personally, I think I have a kickin' team name. ;)

How do we do pre-draft selection? Been looking and can't figure it out.

On the league main page under Draft Info, there is a link for "Pre Rank Your Players", the funky thing is it doesn't give you multiple lists to swap from like Yahoo, it took me a second to figure out you can click and drag people up or down on the list and their number changes.

If there's some guy in the top 50 or so you really DONT want I guess you can drag him all the way to the bottom since there's no "Do Not Draft" list.

*Also I just discovered, there is an arrow on the right hand side of each guys name.. if you click that arrow it moves them all the way to the bottom... I thought it might move them down one spot, but it said "Last Change: Moved Zdeno Chara from 7 to 1672"... I guess that's the "Do Not Draft" banish button.

On the league main page under Draft Info, there is a link for "Pre Rank Your Players", the funky thing is it doesn't give you multiple lists to swap from like Yahoo, it took me a second to figure out you can click and drag people up or down on the list and their number changes.

If there's some guy in the top 50 or so you really DONT want I guess you can drag him all the way to the bottom since there's no "Do Not Draft" list.

*Also I just discovered, there is an arrow on the right hand side of each guys name.. if you click that arrow it moves them all the way to the bottom... I thought it might move them down one spot, but it said "Last Change: Moved Zdeno Chara from 7 to 1672"... I guess that's the "Do Not Draft" banish button.

All of this.

And yeah, the tools take a minute to get used to. But if you open the thing up to 500, and rank 300 guys as you see fit, you should be covered.

Okay, we draft this weekend, but we have one person who hasn't joined, leaving us an odd number of teams - and it won't let us draft with an odd number.  Therefore:

1) If anyone else in interested in joining, chime in on this thread, PM me at the old site, or e-mail me at tarheelmike82@hotmail.com

2) If nobody else wants in, I'll create a dummy team and fill it with all-star talent like Rory Fitzpatrick, chris Chelios, and Rick DiPietro.

Ok THM I'm still getting emails about our league not being full...but you're gonna take care of that right? Cause I don't think we can draft without a full league. I just wanna make sure we're still on for tonight.