The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

It's already been said that this is definitely Jake's team. He won't be replaced unless it is necessary. Plus, not all of the streakiness is his fault. Our offensive line just wasn't able to give him the time he needed last year. And if you remember last year, many fans were calling for Chris Weinke to replace Jake. Jake was injured and Weinke had his chance, but that didn't go over too well. I think we'll have a pretty solid team this year, especially if Beason plays well and Morgan can manage to not have a concussion.

First preseason game is Saturday... I can hardly wait. I'm so pumped about this season. I wouldn't say Super Bowl or bust, but I expect us to go pretty far. A lot of people don't expect a whole lot out of us, and that's exactly the situation we thrive in.

First preseason game is Saturday... I can hardly wait. I'm so pumped about this season. I wouldn't say Super Bowl or bust, but I expect us to go pretty far. A lot of people don't expect a whole lot out of us, and that's exactly the situation we thrive in.

That goes for both the Panthers and the 'Canes. If the so called professionals count us out, we come out with all guns blazing.

If we see Jake struggle for the first two or three games, the entirety of Panther Nation will be screaming for Carr, in light of what happened last season. Don't know if Fox will give up on Jake so easily...though I don't think that will be an issue, since I don't think Jake will be struggling.

Everyone hear about the Minter retirement? He was getting a bit long in the tooth back there in the secondary, but I'm sure I speak for all Panthers fans when I say he will be sorely missed. He was a great player and an exceptional leader.

and Morgan can manage to not have a concussion.

I don't think that's possible.

I wouldn't say Super Bowl or bust, but I expect us to go pretty far.

Not Super Bowl or bust, but I do think its playoffs or bust. Another 7-9 season and I wonder if it could be the end for the Hurney/Fox regime, especially with Cowher out there. That's just my own idle, uninformed speculation of course.

i dont think jake's the guy. too streaky, too much of a hothead, takes way too many chances (ala brett favre). what were those two games last year when all they needed was a field goal to tie, late in the fourth, and he tries to force it in there ad throws a pick...one was cincinatti...philly the other? jake's the kordell stewart/jake plummer type......guys that never fulfill expectations. people always see the potential, and so the give them chance after chance, and year after year they disappoint. i just dont think they will ever win with jake........think it was a mistake to get rid of keyshawn, he played well........ i'm gonna try to go to some games this year. i havent been in a few years. compared with hockey and college football, i dont really think NFL games are all that great to go to, but its been a while, so i'm gonna try to go to one.....i like their chances.....bucs have qb issues....new orleans, dont know if they'll be able to duplicate what they did last year....and atlanta, they've gone to the dogs.

If we see Jake struggle for the first two or three games, the entirety of Panther Nation will be screaming for Carr, in light of what happened last season. Don't know if Fox will give up on Jake so easily...though I don't think that will be an issue, since I don't think Jake will be struggling.

Jake's got the schedule going for him... St. Louis, Houston, Atlanta, and Tampa Bay to start the season off. I have a hard time seeing him blow those games.

i dont think jake's the guy. too streaky, too much of a hothead, takes way too many chances (ala brett favre). what were those two games last year when all they needed was a field goal to tie, late in the fourth, and he tries to force it in there ad throws a pick...one was cincinatti...philly the other? jake's the kordell stewart/jake plummer type

yeah Philly was the other

Should prove to be a interesting season, I can't wait for it :D

Anyone taking bets on how many hits dan morgan takes before he's out for the season?

Kinda worried about our WR's, not in smith by anymeans, but the other guys. Carter showed some promise last year, and we got the talent, I just don't know if it's enough to warrant other teams freeing up Smith from double/triple coverage.

We got a new Offensive coach this year as well, and for that we should at least win 3-4 more games this year. I could have killed that other guy ( already forgot his name :P ) draw draw 3rd and long? how about a draw? sure that will catch them off guard...

anyways, looking forward to the first pre-season game, even if its just pre-season :D

Anyone taking bets on how many hits dan morgan takes before he's out for the season?

Two. The first one will be a huge hit that he walks away from to fool us all into thinking he actually won't get hurt.

Now that we've got Jarrett, I"m not too worried about the WR situation.

I don't know if anyone saw the Mike Minter press conference video on charlotte.com, but that was pretty emotional stuff, particularly for Panthers players and fans alike. That scene at the end with John Fox was the perfect ending.

And Ichigo - don't EVER remind me of the coaching abomination that is Dan Henning again. EVER. :angry: :P

Can't wait till this Saturday! (Hopefully the offense won't remind me of the-coach-I-shall-not-name either)

i think jake will start the season unless Carr really wows them in camp/preseason but i still see that as unlikely

however Carr is an excellent backup because despite playing with the texans last year he actually led the NFL in completion % if i am correct.

and i think that jake will be less streaky this year considering our line got a little better and our receivers added dwayne jarrett. however as early as next year maybe i could see the fight for the starting job getting really intense.

as for defense well i will hope morgan can last the whole season, and i think beason will do very well. our D-line will continue to be great but i think our main concern is the CB's and the S postions. now we already have lucas/gamble/ and someone im forgetting as decent CB's and we picked up someone from the bears to "replace" Minter but i tihnk the biggest hole is the other safety.

I really think it's important for Carr to be patient, this is basically his team in another year or 2. I love Jake Delhomme, he's awesome but the reality is we probably have a better overall QB sitting in the second string. I don't know though, Jake makes magic happen when the game is on the line. He has a clutchness only rivaled by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning, you might call me crazy but it's true.

I went to training camp with my son last week in Spartenburg. We had a blast even though it was HOT. As for the Jake-David thing here is what I saw... Jake was doing very well the day I went. When they were doing the 7 on 7 drills I think I only saw 1 incomplete pass by him. When it was David's turn he did OK. There was 1 interception and a couple incomplete passes. I think that David needs more time with a good team, and it might take him this season. IMHO Jake will be the man this year but next year he had better watch out.

My son got Jake's autograph when we first got there at 8:30am. He was very nice and talked to him for a couple of minutes. I got a picture of him signing my son's football. If I can figure out how to post it I will. As for David he just walked by all the fans without saying anything and not stopping. IMHO that is not the best way for a new guy to get fan support.

Tricia

I went to training camp with my son last week in Spartenburg. We had a blast even though it was HOT. As for the Jake-David thing here is what I saw... Jake was doing very well the day I went. When they were doing the 7 on 7 drills I think I only saw 1 incomplete pass by him. When it was David's turn he did OK. There was 1 interception and a couple incomplete passes. I think that David needs more time with a good team, and it might take him this season. IMHO Jake will be the man this year but next year he had better watch out.

My son got Jake's autograph when we first got there at 8:30am. He was very nice and talked to him for a couple of minutes. I got a picture of him signing my son's football. If I can figure out how to post it I will. As for David he just walked by all the fans without saying anything and not stopping. IMHO that is not the best way for a new guy to get fan support.

Tricia

See that sucks, but I'm glad to hear our boy Jake Delhomme still remembers where he came from. Delhomme is the man

The main reason I was looking forward to this game was to see our new offense. As expected, I was pleased. I love how we're utilizing our tight ends now... just like we did when Wesley Walls was around. The defense did solid, but like I said a while ago, I think our offense is going to be what carries us this season. That's definitely weird, since we're known for our defense.

The main reason I was looking forward to this game was to see our new offense. As expected, I was pleased. I love how we're utilizing our tight ends now... just like we did when Wesley Walls was around. The defense did solid, but like I said a while ago, I think our offense is going to be what carries us this season. That's definitely weird, since we're known for our defense.

Agreed. I'm glad Davidson is utilizing the TEs in our offense. Rosario, King, and Gaines were all thrown to last night.

First-team offense looked excellent (due to zone blocking? We'll see) and the defense looked solid but not wonderful, we clearly need to work harder on stopping the run.

Overall, I can't complain for the first preseason game. I'm excited about what's to come.

i wouldnt call it a big win but i am very happy.

beason with 8 tackles woohoo! and each QB got a TD pass and taye biddle got 2 of them, that 85 yarder must have been embarassing.

overall i am glad the offense is back bc thats what killed us last year, and defense is looking good as usual. however i just hope we can get some points or really anything positive off of special teams this year! last year did we even block a kick or return one or anything?

also did jarrett not play or just not catch anything?

i wouldnt call it a big win but i am very happy.

beason with 8 tackles woohoo! and each QB got a TD pass and taye biddle got 2 of them, that 85 yarder must have been embarassing.

overall i am glad the offense is back bc thats what killed us last year, and defense is looking good as usual. however i just hope we can get some points or really anything positive off of special teams this year! last year did we even block a kick or return one or anything?

also did jarrett not play or just not catch anything?

No, you're right - Jarrett didn't play. I heard he tweaked a hamstring or something and they kept him out just as a precaution.