The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Last night's game was great. Although it's frustrating because you're like, "why didn't they play like this earlier in the season?!", it's really good to see them close out the season on a high note. I was very proud of them last night. Here's hoping we can cap off the season with a win next week. Unless Tampa has a gargantuan collapse against the 49ers, we're going to get all their starters, so it's going to be tough.

Well we got our last win of the season against Tampa to deny them a sweep of the South. I think we've figured out who the future leader of this team is, and management would be a fool if we don't ink him for atleast the next 3 years, and that's Matt Moore, this kid is going to be good, scary good.

Well we got our last win of the season against Tampa to deny them a sweep of the South. I think we've figured out who the future leader of this team is, and management would be a fool if we don't ink him for atleast the next 3 years, and that's Matt Moore, this kid is going to be good, scary good.

I agree on this one. had he not done as well as he did today, id still be saying GO AFTER BRENNAN OR RYAN in the draft....but i think Moore is a good, solid backup, and eventual replacement for Delhome.....Carr is not that at all.

Yeah I say ship Carr off, he's done for us, not worth the money. He might be a good back up for someone else, elsewhere and although I won't say he'll never start again, he's just not shown much of anything to me this year (like I matter). Plus his gloves are wicked gay

I agree!!! Moore was great today! I know that we didn't have some of their starters but then some of our starters were out today aswell. I am still VERY happy with the Win!! And I thought it showed alot of class to let Vinny have the last snap since he is retiring.

Now the guys have to get healthy and ready for next year. What do you guys think about Morgan? Will he come back next year? At least he didn't go down with another concusion. I know that he can be a BEAST when healthy, but one big hit and he is done for the year. Is he worth it? Also, I hope that the Real Julius Peppers shows up at camp this year and not that imposter that made the team this year. He was almost invisible.

Anyway, GO PANTHERS!!!!! I can't wait for next season!!

Great way to close out an otherwise forgettable season. A win over a division champion, a close loss to the top team in the NFC, and a fun win against our rivals today. Here's hoping this time next year, we'll be talking about the playoffs.

Great way to close out an otherwise forgettable season. A win over a division champion, a close loss to the top team in the NFC, and a fun win against our rivals today. Here's hoping this time next year, we'll be talking about the playoffs.

I agree. I'm mostly glad this whole mess of a year for us is over.

Considering that after the 2 takeaway, 2 touchdown first quarter they pulled out the first string defense at 14-0, i think if the starters had stayed in the game wouldnt have been anywhere close. Peppers looked awesome coming from the blind side, may be a little harder for him with a starting quarterback as opposed to a backup, but he was up against the starting O-line and ripped them apart.

D'angelo Williams ran like his feet were on fire and no one could bring him down, and again after his two touchdowns he had a seat and we didnt see him anymore. Delhomme to Muhammed looked good... Moore to Muhammed looked good, Moore to Smith looked good and Jarret made a couple of real good catches.. I dont know how many QB's Carolina will keep on the roster but I would assume 3 (Starter, Back up, Scout Team) and the 4th guy who played, Ricard looked real good, and the WR Carter he was throwing to looked good too. They caught him a couple times for sacks, but he made some good long throws. I didnt watch every second of the game since i was flipping around watching the olympics too, but what I saw looked good. If we can get back to playing smash mouth football with a strong running game and a killer defense we should go long into the season.

Fox is trying to get back into the run first mentality that got us to the Super Bowl. I was as gitty as a school-girl when DeAngelo broke-off those huge runs. Looks like our new o-line is starting to work. I hope that the new zone blocking scheme works that well against the other defenses we see this season.

Peppers looks like he is going to light up the league in his new position. That was an excellent decision, moving him to the right side. We have a deep roster, and lots of great new talent. I have a real good feeling about this defensive squad. Looks like we still need work on the secondary/defensive backs. We gave up a lot of passing yardage... but very little rushing yards! And 4 turnovers... I'll take that any day.

That ending very much reminded me of the 2003 season, where we earned the nick-name "Cardiac Cats" - the botched field goal attempt made my heart stop. lol

I caught the beginning and end of the game basically peppers looked possessed and wants to silence all the doubt after his season last year. Williams was lightning on the field, and I think that has a lot to do with our much improved offensive line.

Unfortunately smith got a concussion from his one catch, but I guess he has plenty of time to heal from it.

Would have liked to seen jake attempt more passes, but I am betting we will see more of that on Thursday.

Overall a very good start based on the starters vs. starters first couple of series.

Ugh, and just like that, Carolina blows another lead. Unlike last week, we had a really slow start, but managed to play well enough defensively to build a decent lead.

Then the 4th quarter rolls around and we collapse. Sigh.

Moore really disappoints me. He panics way too easily, and his passes are off because of it.

Yeah it sucks, but is it that big of a deal to blow a lead in the 4th quarter of a preseason game? I didnt see the end of it cause of the rain delay, but I'll assume the 3rd and 4th stringers were in? I'm sure Delhomme and those guys were already showered and in thier civvies by the end with the delay. I'll be more interested to see what we do in the first week against SD when the first and second string stays in the whole game. Win or lose doesnt matter as long as its close.. 10-14, 14-17 something like that... we get blown out 32-0 and then I will start worrying. I don't forsee Carolina being a power house team in the NFC but I think we should blow away the rest of the NFC south and secure a playoff spot. Tampa and Atlanta will be terrible, Washington could give us trouble and NO has been strong the last couple of years. If Bush can stay unhurt and they have a decent QB the saints could be tough but I'm not sure who they are rolling with this year. I expect atlanta to be a total fiasco as they scramble to find a QB and any decent offensive players.

Holy cow what a game. I seriously only saw 5 minutes of the game, but what I saw was two of De'anglo's long runs.. the fumble that got picked up by Smith for a score, and then I flipped back just in time to see the instant replay of the 60 yarder. I was a little worried when it was 3-0 nearing the end of the 1st quarter with the starters still in.. and then when I flipped back 30 minutes later it was nearing the 2nd half, 27-0 after williams had run the 60 yarder. I flipped back one more time and saw that it was 37-0 and figured we had the game well in hand. I still would have expected them to score a little bit after we put the second stringers in and expected the score to be a little closer, like 40-14. I'm hoping that with the first stringers staying in the whole first half the 37-0 is more like what we will see in a few weeks and not the 4th liners giving up 20 points to Philly in the 4th quarter. Even the 23-20 win first week at Indy shouldnt have been that close, since the defense got us two scores and it was 17-0 when Jake, Peppers and Moose all took a seat. I cant wait for the regular season. Stewart seems to be running well, and Williams (as I have mentioned before) runs like a bat out of hell with his gas soaked underwear on fire... They made a good decision switching to a running game. Kudo's to the front office for recognizing the fact that we had a rebuilt O Line and 2 dominant runners. Should be a good year!!

Unbelieveable... came back to win despite some AWFUL calls by the refs... I fullly expected them to overturn the fumble/TD and take it away from us.. not a single call against the Chargers and we had 2 or 3 drives and chances at touchdowns cancelled by bogus calls... I love Philip Rivers and I was rooting for him, but that shoulda been a 4th down punt and not a 44 yard TD.. he was clearly over the line of scrimmage... I dont understand the "his foot was on the line" judgement call BS.. is a black and white issue.. there is no fudging it one way or the other.. even the announcers were baffled.

Way to go Panthers!