The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Did well for the first half (mostly) then fell apart like a wet paper bag.

Minnnnesoooda is a much improved team with "What's his face" the 37 year-old QB behind center. He had a pretty good game. Although, that no-call against the Minn DB who collided with Smith (cut off his route while not looking for the ball, meaning he was playing the MAN not the BALL - thus a penaty) was one of the turning points of the game that didn't happen. I was pretty upset about that.

Next week will be much easier when the Falcons come to town. That will be one of those 'feel good again' games, where we get our wind back.

I missed the game being at the Caniac Carnival, but it sounded like on the radio the Delhomme fumble return for a TD pretty muich killed it for Carolina and juiced up the Minnesota D. Right before I went it for the scrimmage it was 10-0 Carolina so I figured we were handling business... boy was I in for a shock when I got home.

I hope Atlanta will be easy.. they have two good wins, but against lackluster teams Detroit and KC... Put up 38 on Det and 34 on KC, but got stomped by TB.. so hopefully Carolina can do the stomping as well. Really hard to say if they will be anygood at all.

TB picked up a last minute win against Chicago, much like Carolina did... so it seems like TB and Carolina will be pretty even.

As much as I love me some Canes...I HATE the Panthers. Since they have come to this state...I get blocked out of other REAL games because of "local" coverage. That stupid pastel blue seating, the stupid "growl". ... etc, etc. I hope they go the way of the Hornets...Ok, so I've vented.... :lol:

I think this is the appropriate place to put this, I don't know if the Caniac nation is also a supporter of our other pro-sports team the Carolina Panthers but I just wanted to try and start some talk about them for anyone who is.

Mainly I was just curious if anyone has any insight on what the Panthers deal in signing David Carr is. Don't get me wrong I think it was a no brainer pick up, he was a 1st overall selection and has shown some promise even while playing for a crappy Houston Texans team. What I want to know is, are they replacing Jake with Dave? I don't know, Jake took us to the super bowl and he's only 32, yeah he's a little streaky sometimes but the whole team is. I think Jake is plenty capable of leading this team for a bit longer. Anybody think that they'll try and make a switch to have Carr taking the team for a spin?

As much as I love me some Canes...I HATE the Panthers. Since they have come to this state...I get blocked out of other REAL games because of "local" coverage. That stupid pastel blue seating, the stupid "growl". ... etc, etc. I hope they go the way of the Hornets...Ok, so I've vented.... :lol:

LOL! I feel the same way! For 5 years now I have endured the weekly Panthers broadcast because "we're in the region." I cannot count the number of times that FOX has had great games on but BECAUSE we're in "panther country" we automatically get their game. I've literally started keeping track of Panther gametimes so I know not to tune it at that time expecting two good teams playing.

LOL! I feel the same way! For 5 years now I have endured the weekly Panthers broadcast because "we're in the region." I cannot count the number of times that FOX has had great games on but BECAUSE we're in "panther country" we automatically get their game. I've literally started keeping track of Panther gametimes so I know not to tune it at that time expecting two good teams playing.

Do you expect them to ignore the Panthers game and play like Chicago vs Minnesota? Who in NC would care about that game unless you are a specific fan of those two teams? If you don't like the team dont watch.. its that simple. If you want to watch out of market games then get the NFL Sunday Ticket.. thats what its for. I don't see the issue here.

Do you expect them to ignore the Panthers game and play like Chicago vs Minnesota? Who in NC would care about that game unless you are a specific fan of those two teams? If you don't like the team dont watch.. its that simple. If you want to watch out of market games then get the NFL Sunday Ticket.. thats what its for. I don't see the issue here.

No, no, no, no, no. There isn't an issue here, never was. I was just agreeing with bigbander. Panthers have always been boring and blah...just hated the fact that they take up a time slot on FOX every Sunday. And when I mentioned other great games I wasn't necessarily referring to Vikings games lol. I meant just other, more exciting matchups in general.

I understood what ya meant.. I was just saying such is the nature of the "local coverage"... in all of NC and SC and heck probably even other places they play the panthers game (i just picked chicago v minnesota, cause why would the midwest give a hoot about the panthers)...

Having watched the panthers since they built the stadium in 94.. I know what ya mean... a lot of times we have been downright dreadful.

If we are sucking bad I can usually switch to the game on CBS and at least catch someone who is on my fantasy team, even if i dont really give a hoot about the two teams....

Oh, Minnesota was such an easy win!

Hey don't blame me for the Panthers sucking it up.. :lol:

Based on the stats and records it SHOULD have been an easy win.. not sure how they blew that... Now people are saying we are heavily favored against Atlanta, but Atlanta's pretty hot right now...

Well the Refs have decided Atlanta is going to win this game already... what a HORRIBLE call.... Peppers hits ryan AS the ball is released.. forces the interception for the TD and they call ROUGHING?!?? WHERE WAS IT?! Peppers got there maybe a split second after the ball left his hand.. Peppers forced the INT... i mean if the ball is over thrown out of bounds and then as the whistle blow peppers blasts Ryan then throw the flag but that was utter BS.

Eh.. well so far Carolina's D is taking care of business... I'd like to see the offense put some more points on the board and put this game out of reach. A TD and 2 pts and its tied.. need a couple more scores to put it away. The 56 yard TD to Smith was pretty awesome. Muhammed has been open all day.. get him deep down the field for a long gainer... Lets finish this one out!

It seems there are plenty of empty seats at their stadium; what gives?

I was wondering the same thing.. the upper bowl was packed to capacity, but the lower seats were empty..

What a great game though.. boy are we glad to have Muhammed back.. Finally get to see the Muhammed/Smith combo and boy is it deadly... double cover one and the other is wide open.. both guys close to or over 100 yards and a TD each. Stewart continues to look like a wrecking ball... great running. Great win by the panthers.. shut Atlanta's running game completely down.

It wasn't perfect, but it was still a nice win today. As usual, the defense was superb. We finally saw the Smitty/Moose combo in full effect, and it was fun to watch. It was definitely a surprise, though, because I thought we would run the ball big time today. We seemed to pass more, although Jonathan Stewart did find the end zone once. I wish Tampa would have lost today, but we're still tied with them for the division lead at 3-1, so I'm happy. Plus, we can take care of them in two weeks, anyway.

It seems there are plenty of empty seats at their stadium; what gives?

Everyone left early to watch the NASCAR race... that's what gives. :rolleyes:

Panthers have always been boring and blah...

Yeah, any offense with Steve Smith is bound to be boring... gimme a break.

Lets hear it for Moose! Man, I was excited to see him coming back (more for his veteran leadership - teaching Jarrett how to play, cuz he needs it) but wasn't expecting Mushin to play as good, or even better than he did in 03! He passed former TE Wesley Walls in team TD catches today. I see Smith challenging that stat in the future.

The Peppers "Roughing" call was complete BS! It was a HUGE blunder, designed to punish a notorious defense for doing well against a rookie QB. Everyone knows how physical the Panthers D is, and they went too far trying to keep Ryan "safe" from any kind of contact. That is all it is.

Marshall and Beason sure are fitting in well. The announcers were talking about how Beason has become a leader of the defense. Considering how young he is, I hope he stays consistant and remains a Panther for a good long time. And Marshall, well he is all over the place.

I hope Otah and Gross get back into the line-up soon... we need them, now that we have no depth at Offensive line.

Jake has been playing very well since having possible-career-ending surgery. That Tommy-Johns stuff aint no joke... I'm looking forward to next Sunday, I am attending that match-up with the Chiefs. Should be a bloodbath.

Lets hear it for Moose! Man, I was excited to see him coming back (more for his veteran leadership - teaching Jarrett how to play, cuz he needs it) but wasn't expecting Mushin to play as good, or even better than he did in 03! He passed former TE Wesley Walls in team TD catches today. I see Smith challenging that stat in the future.

The Peppers "Roughing" call was complete BS! It was a HUGE blunder, designed to punish a notorious defense for doing well against a rookie QB. Everyone knows how physical the Panthers D is, and they went too far trying to keep Ryan "safe" from any kind of contact. That is all it is.

Yeah... Muhammed really lit them up.. great game by Moose. 147 and a TD by Moose.. 92 and a TD by Smith.. great 1-2 punch. Next week should be even better against the hapless Chiefs.

Watching the replay of the "roughing" it was so obviously a bad call, I wouldnt be surprised if it doesnt get reviewed by the home office... Peppers was mid launch against Ryan and didnt take one SINGLE step... hit him shoulder to chest a split second after the ball left his hands and obviously that hit caused the INT and the TD run back.... The rules state for roughing the passer or roughing the kicker that if the player is far enough away he could avoid the hit, and hits them anyway, then its a penalty, but Peppers was already in his face when he started his throwing motion.. no way peppers took the two extra steps and then unloaded that would be roughing.. thank goodness that didnt effect the outcome of the game...

Did you notice that Smith asked the fan who caught his "spiked ball" for the ball back? I saw that and was a little disappointed until I read this report on the game and the Panthers by Andrew Mason (this guy is a great writer!):

The Panthers' ability to overcome, however, went beyond personnel moves and penalties over the the 181 minutes they spent grappling with the Falcons on Sunday afternoon -- back to the incident between Smith and cornerback Ken Lucas on the Wofford College practice field on Aug. 1 and the ensuing suspension and ancillary fallout from it.

Smith publicly apologized. Lucas publicly forgave him and spoke in the weeks that followed about a newfound communication between the two intense players. But no words said more about the healing between themselves and the team at large than Smith's simple gesture after his touchdown reception -- to place the football in Lucas' hands on the Carolina sideline.

"I was shocked at the time," Lucas admitted.

"I was going to congratulate him on the touchdown and he said,

Read on ESPN that Otah's Xrays were negative and that he hopes to play next week, how many games has he been injured in but still played the next week? lol. Anybody know what happened to Gross? From what I read he was just unconscious for a little bit on the field but looked fine after that (though he was carted off and didnt play the rest of the game.)

Yeah, Gross was knocked-out with a blow to the head... but I would imagine that he will be ok to play next weekend. I think they just took him out as a precautionary thing, since he was unconscious for a bit. He seemed fine while taking his ride into the tunnel, waving and pumping his fist to the fans. Good to hear that about Otah, seems like he is affraid of that "Carolina Injury Bug" that attacks any league with an "N" and an "L." I hope they are ready for the Cheifs game... we need our wonderful offensive line hitting on all cylinders - this is the best line we have had in years.

GO CANES and GO (carolina) PANTHERS!

About some empty seats at the stadium: Drove from Cary to Charlotte for the Panthers game today. There was no gas in sight west of Asheboro - just a guess that the gas supply problem may have kept some fans at home. Also, previous Vick years had the upper corners of the stadium filled with Falcons fans but today there were not very many - helped that they didn't have much to cheer about except for two of the field goals we gave them.

It was Ed Hochuli who made the call... what do you expect?