The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

It was Ed Hochuli who made the call... what do you expect?

His name sounds familar.. is he the one that botched the Denver/SD game?

His name sounds familar.. is he the one that botched the Denver/SD game?

Oh yeah! That was him! Maybe he should spend more time studying NFL rule books and less time in the weight room... the guy has some guns on him (for a ref).

Oh yeah! That was him! Maybe he should spend more time studying NFL rule books and less time in the weight room... the guy has some guns on him (for a ref).

I guess he's just jealous he didn't get picked by anyone and so he tries to screw up the game for everybody.. what a sour sport.. got picked last for kickball in elementary school and now has a grudge against the NFL :lol:

I guess he's just jealous he didn't get picked by anyone and so he tries to screw up the game for everybody.. what a sour sport.. got picked last for kickball in elementary school and now has a grudge against the NFL :lol:

:lol:

Hochuli-Decapitates.frontpage_thumbnail.jpg

How about De'angelo Williams?!? 2 rushing TDs 1 recieving TDs 125 yards.. what a great time to have a breaking out party. 21-0 at the half..

KC just fumbled thier first possession of the second and Carolina has the ball... First and goal inside the 10... looks like this will be a good game for us and an ugly one for KC..

Williams straight up dismantled the Chiefs today. Stewart had a solid day. I love Stewart and he's a great goal line back who has the ability to break a big one, but I've been saying since the beginning of last year that they needed to use Williams MUCH much more than they had been. Its great to see Moose and Smith tearing up defenses together again also. The Cats are real this year!!!!!!!!!

Now if Denver can find a way to knock of TB, Carolina will own sole possesion of the lead in the NFC South. 4-1 what a start!!

*Well Denver took care of TB for us. 1st Place NFC South Panthers.

I just got back from the game, only to find out that the Hurricanes had a shut-out, too! Wow! What a great day!

That was the most enjoyable Panthers game I have ever been to. Williams was playing like a man-possessed. How about that Charles Johnson! Our defense looks so good, we limited LJohnson to 2 yards... 2!

I got sunburn, but it was worth it! GO PANTHERS!

That was an enjoyable shutout, but it's time to start looking ahead to the big showdown in Tampa. We'll have a two-game lead in the NFC South if we win... not to mention an advantage on the head-to-head tiebreaker. Hopefully this won't be the only big game we play in Tampa this season. :)

I don't know why I was thinking we played Atlanta next week.. we already beat Atlanta. Looked at the schedule wrong I guess..

Yeah, next weeks game @ Tampa is key... we need to win and win on the road to keep the #1 spot in the NFC south.. it wont be easy. A loss would tie us at 4-2 and give TB the tie breaker. It wouldnt mean the end of our season to lose.. but it would be nice to keep this momentum going. Tampa is 8th in the league in rushing with 135 ypg. They are 12th in the league in passing at 215 ypg. Shutting down thier run game (as we have done all season) won't completely shut them down.. but it will put a big dent in them. They only have 3 rushing TDs and 6 passing TDs.. so if we can hold them a couple times in the red zoen to FGs we should be ok. We need our defense to be strong, as always. Thier rushing defense is pretty good.. 99 ypg allowed and only 1 TD allowed. Thier pass defense on the other hand is woeful.. 21st in the league with 218 ypg allowed and 8 TDs.. Carolina on the other hand is 3rd in pass defense with 156 ypg allowed and 4 TDs. I think that gives us a distinct advantage.. our run defenses are nearly identical.

*stats from NFL.com

Geez.. what is going on? All of a sudden we can't stop the run? Wow.. what the heck... Not a good start this week.. gotta get this under control and soon!

Guys.. that Tampa defense is for real.

Seriously... a little bit of pressure and Delhomme self destructs.... 2 INTs, maybe the second bobbled one wasnt on him, but the first one was an awful throw.. 2 plays in a row trys to dump it to Stewart and throws it at his feet... Plenty of work in the middle of the field.. 112 yards for Smith, 65 for Muhammed.. but the D tightens up in the red zone and allows nothing.. if we even got to the red zone... they totally shut down the run game... only 27 yards for Williams? Wow... TB offense really didnt do much.. scored a TD from the 10 yard line after a turnover.. but the blocked punt and the defense won the game for TB for sure..

Next week New Orleans... a team that should have beat Minnesota, and then today DEMOLISHED the Raiders... We can't lose these division games and expect to make the playoffs.. we just handed TB #1 in the division plus a tie breaker.

Ugghh, I couldn't wait for that game to end. I think that a combination of a hang-over from that offensive domination of KC and the fact that TB has a great defense really got to our boys heads. Either they thought that they'd just walk in and out with a win, and wouldn't have to get dirty... or they just weren't ready. It happens, I guess - not the end of the season... but now that it is out of their system, they need to get that gritty-hunger back (maybe have Scott Walker give a motivational speech), because we need division wins.

Smith dropped passes, our "Cool-hand Jake" made some really bad throws, Muhsin LOST a jump-ball, the dynamic Williams/Stewart duo ran nowhere fast... everything points to lack of focus.

I don't get the lack of respect for the Southeast Division, 3 teams are tied with 4-2 records and the fourth is .500. I think it was Troy Aikman who said that we have the most competitive divison in the league, and I think I would have to agree.

Ugghh, I couldn't wait for that game to end. I think that a combination of a hang-over from that offensive domination of KC and the fact that TB has a great defense really got to our boys heads. Either they thought that they'd just walk in and out with a win, and wouldn't have to get dirty... or they just weren't ready. It happens, I guess - not the end of the season... but now that it is out of their system, they need to get that gritty-hunger back (maybe have Scott Walker give a motivational speech), because we need division wins.

Smith dropped passes, our "Cool-hand Jake" made some really bad throws, Muhsin LOST a jump-ball, the dynamic Williams/Stewart duo ran nowhere fast... everything points to lack of focus.

I don't get the lack of respect for the Southeast Division, 3 teams are tied with 4-2 records and the fourth is .500. I think it was Troy Aikman who said that we have the most competitive divison in the league, and I think I would have to agree.

Also, as a side note.. they said we are the ONLY division in which ALL four teams have won a divisional championship.. talk about parity..

I'm not too concerned with the loss.. 4-2 is still good even though we relenquish #1 to TB for now.. but NO is HOT.. we better hope that was our one bad game and we come back strong.

Lol, I mean NFC-South... I'm getting my sports mixed up again.

Well'p, in compairing stats, we have the edge in Defense: CAR #4 overall, NO #19. However, on Offense: NO #3, CAR #16. If Carolina can stop Reggie Bush, which should be a realistic goal given the other elite players that Carolina's defense have shut down... we should be ok. Our pass defense is 3rd overall, so hopefully Brees will have a frustrating day, forcing them to run (their weakness)... and we are not too shabby at stuffing up the holes in the line, anyway. We are 4th in both yards and points, where they are 2nd and fifth. Anyway, they are better than TB, offensivly. So, it will be a tough match-up. Like you said, they need to bring their game back up.

Yeah.. lets hope so.. We did allow a 100 yard rusher yesterday, Warrick Dunn at 115.. dont know how much of that running was TB killing clock to seal the game. Next highest rusher was Bennett with only 11...

Garcia wasnt even that impressive, 15/20, 173 1TD... but it helped him that his defense gave him the ball on OUR 20 instead of his own 20. Tampa had a drive in the first quarter on our 25 from a INT, and on our 39 in the third quarter from a punt deep in our own endzone. The blocked punt and then the INT leading to a TD really set the tone of the game.. Carolina's O was dissapointed and Tampa's D was fired up.. they won the field position battle from then on, with good punts pinning us deep and we didnt get close to sniffing the end zone.

You would think after the last couple weeks.. if we heal Brees to 173 and 1 TD we would have a chance to win.. We have contained runners all year long.. but Reggie has 4 TDs in the last 2 games, 2 kick returns and two long rushes... If he brings back a punt or KO.. it wont matter what the defense can hold him too. NO will score and score often so we need to do the same and score a bunch and then clamp on the defense in the second half, like we have done. Should be a tight one.. last minute field goal maybe.. good thing Kasey is good from about 45.

Even the 2003 team had a bad loss like this, so I'm not too worried. If we rebound by beating New Orleans and Arizona, two teams that are now pretty good, everything will be fine... especially since we have a bye and then Oakland and Detroit after that. And playing those two is basically like a bye. :lol:

Even the 2003 team had a bad loss like this, so I'm not too worried. If we rebound by beating New Orleans and Arizona, two teams that are now pretty good, everything will be fine... especially since we have a bye and then Oakland and Detroit after that. And playing those two is basically like a bye. :lol:

Especially if the Detriot QB continues to run out of the back of the enzone. We can win 12-0 without kicking a FG.. :lol:

I expected Oakland to put up more of a fight... way to lay down and die.. and against NO of all teams? Wow.. no wonder the coach got canned.

We need to apply pressure to their offense, which is something that Peppers & Co. failed to do in Tampa (Garcia could have lied down and taken a nap at times). That and maintain a successful rushing attack. Sounds simple and obvious, but in all truth, that is how our team works - perfecting the basic fundamentals of old-school ball. That is one thing I love about Fox, I like his style: strong defense and run, run, run. If we just threw to Smith on every play, we'd end up loosing (IE 2005 NFC Championship against Seattle).

I think Arizona looks like a tough match-up, too. I am worried about their passing game. Who would have thought that ol Warner would take all of Leinart's thunder and kick butt with such an underappreciated offense? I like Kurt, he is a good guy and an amazing athlete. A truely solid veteran QB. I agree that Detroit and Oakland should be push-overs, as long as the Panthers don't let it get to their heads, and play 50% like they did in TB. It will be a confidence-booster to lay the smack-down on those two. Nice timing, too.

Good win today, I wish Fox would have taken out the starters a little earlier though no need to risk extra injuries. Did anyone else see Chris Harris limp off the field on the 2nd to last play?

I also wish we could get a little more out of Mark Jones, our return man. I guess it could be worse considering we never really lose any yardage and he doesnt really drop the ball, but he just gets tripped up so easily on kickoff returns. What happened to Ryne Robinson?

30-7 = Fantastic win! Great defense, considering that Brees and the NO Offense is/was number two in the league. Goes to show that the best offense TRUELY is a great defense - providing us with great field position and allowed our run-game to really eat-up the time-of-possession and seal the game. Not to mention ole Muhs + Smitty and their electric passing game. The Smith TD catch was amazing! Jake played really well, with a sound offensive line keeping him safe. And Bush looks to be injured... It seems like players get hurt when they line-up across the Panthers line. Great physical play.

Game Ball goes to... ?

I say: Julius Peppers (1 FF, 1 Sack, 3 Tackles). The defense really stopped an outstanding offense and made it possible for the Panthers offense to get points - and Peppers is the heart of our defense.