The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Told you guys we'd be alright. Next week is an important game... if we can head into the three-week stretch of awesomeness with a 6-2 record, then I'd say we have a lot to be confident about. Arizona is a solid division leader, so they won't be a pushover.

Much needed win against a division opponent. Tampa bay is crushing Seattle, so we will still have only a share of the lead in the NFC South.. but thats good for now. We have a couple of "easier" (i wont say easy - See: Minnesota) games on the schedule coming up where we can take a lead.

Peppers is back to his pro bowl form and our defense is really banging on all cylinders.. really makes the game easier for Delhomme to manage, when he can punt the ball and know he will get it back with good field position and the score unchanged.

So Carolina's got a tough testing coming up in the game against Arizona. The Cards are 4-2, lead the NFC West and are coming off 2 wins in a row and a bye week. However, Arizona ranks 20th in Pass defense, surrendering 220 yards a game and 12 TDs with only 3 INTs. Arizona is 11th in rushing defense, giving up only 93 yds a game and 4 TDs.. So hopefully Carolina can burn them through the air like we did against N.O. Arizona is the #2 passing offense (behind #1 New Orleans).. so hopefully we can shut them down the same way we shut down the Saints with our #2 Passing defense. We are also only slightly behind Arizona in rush defense at 13th. Add to that the fact that we are 4-0 at home and Arizona is 1-2 on the road.

I think it will be a tough game, but obviously a game we can win. If we shut down the Saints vaunted passing attack we can do the same with the Cards.

Could we actually be involved in a shootout for once? It would definitely be different to see a Panthers game with a score of something like 34-31, but it just might happen.

Could we actually be involved in a shootout for once? It would definitely be different to see a Panthers game with a score of something like 34-31, but it just might happen.

I think I prefer 34-0.. :) as long as we are on the winning side.

I think both teams will have to throw the ball, which gives us an advantage.. our run defenses are nearly equal.. but our pass defense is way better than theirs, although like NO they have a "strong" passing offense.. but we know what Peppers, Lucas and crew will have to say about that.

We already got our 34-0 blowout a couple of weeks ago. That's not to say we won't get another one, though... the game against Detroit is going to be so fun. It almost makes me laugh to think about how bad we'll obliterate them. :lol:

Our pass defense shuts down their passing game. Warner looks confused and annoyed for 4 quarters. Without the air attack, Arizona falls flat and gets behind early. Our defense and rushing game will once again deliver an exciting victory. Panthers are all smiles and giggles through the bye week.

Arizona is 1-4 on the road in thier last 5 games (1-2 on the road this year), Carolina is 4-0 at home. Arizona is coming off 2 home wins and a bye, so hopefully this week is not the week they turn it around and win a game on the road. Carolina is coming off a bad road loss to Tampa, and then a resounding home win against NO so they should be fired up.

Peppers has another career day. Warner has been sacked 13 times and lost 4 fumbles this season.. Expect him to have nightmares of #90 later tonight.

Arizona's pass D is awful.. look for Muhammed and Smith to have big days.

Ugh.. what is going on... the Defense looks pretty good but the offense is not clicking at all.. Jake fumbles and gives them an easy TD and then Muhammed drops an EASY one with no defenders anywhere near him... come on guys.. this is not good...

Great stop on 4th down in the red zone... Maybe we can get something down in the minute left and tie the game.

WOW.. two words - STEVE SMITH! Holy cow... what an offensive come back.. but it started on defense... 2 sacks, a forced fumble, a int and 50 yard run back- great coverage on the fake FG...

Update - Carolina takes a 1 game division lead at 6-2 as Tampa (5-3) falls to Dallas (Thank you Cowboys!!!), Atlanta (4-3) also loses giving Carolina a 2.5 game lead over them. NO is about to win over SD in London to go to 4-4.

That game certainly turned into the shootout that we thought it would be. Now, we (the fans, definitely not the players) can basically relax until Thanksgiving, as we have two laughably easy games coming up after our bye week.

They picked a bad time to have a bye... at least for my fantasy team :lol: Critical matchup this week with Smith and D. Williams out

I would say i feel sorry for the Raiders and Lions for the beat downs they are about to recieve.. but I'm not. I want the panthers in the superbowl by god... Oakland is middle of the pack, and Detroit is next to last in passing defense and rushing is worse, Oakland 27th and Detroit 31st.

Combined offense allowed for Detroit is 427 yards/game... ouch..

I was going to say "Be careful what you say guys... we don't want to jinx it." But, even if we did jinx the games, I still think we'd win! :lol: Usually, you can't argue with stats, and as Eric pointed out, they seem to be in our favor. So, hopefully, the wins will come as easily as we expect, without any bumps in the road (but most importantly, no injuries!).

I found this article to be pretty interesting, it's a very well written summary of the Panthers 15 years in the league - since Sunday was their 15th Birthday. Also, don't forget to vote! (ProBowl Ballot) "I'm Steve Smith, and I approved this message"

I was going to say "Be careful what you say guys... we don't want to jinx it." But, even if we did jinx the games, I still think we'd win! :lol: Usually, you can't argue with stats, and as Eric pointed out, they seem to be in our favor. So, hopefully, the wins will come as easily as we expect, without any bumps in the road (but most importantly, no injuries!).

I found this article [/post]to be pretty interesting, it's a very well written summary of the Panthers 15 years in the league - since Sunday was their 15th Birthday. Also, don't forget to vote! (ProBowl Ballot) "I'm Steve Smith, and I approved this message"

Yeah, I know right.. I took my lumps after the Minnesota game predicting an "easy" win.. thats why last week I said Detroit and Oakland would be "easier" games.. LOL..

As well as we've done the last two weeks against the #2 and #3 defenses in the league, I can't imagine what kind of fun Smith and Muhammed are going to have with the 27th and then 31st defenses, especially after a bye. What hurt Arizona was thier passing defense.. thier rushing D is #2 and did pretty good. But in a pass happy league thats not good.

If Steve Smith isnt voted into the pro bowl after this weeks 65 yard tight rope catch and run for a TD then there is just no justice in this league. Smith should easily get in, with other "star" WRs like TO having not so great years. Smith is 7th in the league in passing yardagewise at 613, and when you take into account he missed the first two games, he is second in the league in yards per game at 102 (1st is 110).. so if he had played week 1 and 2 he would probably be leading the league with over 800 yards. He's also 3rd in TD's with 4, Boldin has 7 and 3 or 4 guys are tied at 5. By comparison, TO is 26th with 431 yards and only 53 yards a game, but he also has 5 TDs.

Hate we gotta wait two weeks for the next game.. this team is rolling....

*I voted for Smith, D Williams, Delhomme, Peppers, Lucas, Godfrey and a couple other guys, not just cause they are Panthers, but because they are having great years (which is of course why they are on the ballot).. I had a hard time picking for the AFC, since I dont know as many of those guys, and sadly, I dont know too many of the O Lineman, which I know is the curse of an O lineman..only get your name called for a penalty..lol At least a few Panthers should be probowl bound.. Smith and Peppers at the minimum.

Yeah, if people vote the way they should, by stats, there should be a few Panthers in the NFC roster. Smith should be a lock for WR, and Jake should be one of the QBs. I doubt that Williams or Stewart will be elected, because we don't eat-up rushing yards like some other teams. They are doing well for Carolina - doing their job opening up the passing game, but as result of their role in the style of offense we have, they are not rewarded with big chunks of yardage (Jake, Smith and Muhs are). But, that's ok... they are quality-character guys (much like the rest of the team, thanks to Richardson and Hurney) and want to win championships, not Pro-Bowls. Cool, huh? Reminds me of my personal fav, Rod Brind'Amour - turning down All-Star votes to focus on the Hurricanes' season. "Individual rewards are nice as long as they don't interfear with the team's best interest." He'd rather see Staalsy represent Carolina and have fun in his youth, than take a chance getting hurt or losing focus on his leadership role.

It seems that the Pro-Bowl is a popularity contest, so I really wont be surprised to see Chad Johnson, TO, and Burress play when everyone knows that they might not deserve the spots as much as some others. I think they should change their system of selecting Pro-Bowlers. I've never liked this way of doing it, because we always see 8 Cowboys and 10 Patriots when we should be seeing a diverse group. Anyway, there is my rant.

Man I hate bye weeks... good thing thats over and we can get back to some smash mouth Carolina Panthers football!

I'm expecting Williams, Smith and Muhammed to all have pretty big days against Oakland... Especially since they just waived thier BEST defensive player?!? LOL.. what the heck is that guy thinking? I loved the "Whine line" call on the insiders morning show either wendsday or thursday..."I got one thing to say to Al Davis... DIE! Just DIE!".... LOL.. not to wish him ill, but maybe he ought to hang em up, cause he's surely not thinking straight.

Fire a coach... cut your best corner back... and anyone wonders why they are 2-6?

I look for Steve Smith to completely light them up... 100+ and 2 TDs... Deangelo has been getting the majority of the carries the last couple of games, but now with Stewart out he will get the lions share.. maybe a few to Hoover, but that will be it.

Yeah, I think the reason he let Hall go was because he wanted to get out of having to pay a huge chunk of money that he would have had to pay, had Hall finished out the season with the Raiders. They were paying Hall a lot more than he was worth, and the results were not showing a value in keeping him (he hasn't really made an impact). Also, I just heard on NFL Network that he was waiting for a former teammate (Atlanta WR) in the tunnel with the intention of starting a fight with him... and that isn't the first time he's done that. No one, not even the Raiders, want that kind of Powder-Keg in their roster.

Oakland is the official "Bizarro-World Panthers." for those of you who don't follow Seinfeld or Superman, that is the exact opposite version of something (think "Mirror-Mirror," Trekkies). Where the Panthers are a balanced, tight-knit, playoff-bound team, sporting a 6-2 record and leading their division... the Raiders are near/at the bottom of the league, with a splintered and unefficient roster, a 2-6 record and next to last in their division (ahead of the Chiefs by one win).

Yeah, Smith was going to light them up with or without Hall, anyway... now it should be that much easier, thanks Al. Lol! This is going to be our second BYE week. Go PANTHERS! (The UnRaiders)

The Panthers are second in the conference right now, automatically from leading the divison, but we would actually be second anyway at 6-2 behind the Giants at 7-1. Tampa is 6-3, Washington is 6-3 which would put them ahead of the other two division leaders chicago and arizona at 5-3.

This is technically a "must win" since a loss would tie us with TB and they have the tie breaker on us, but its not like I see us losing, however TB took care of business and won thier game in hand while we were on the bye, now we need to win this week while they are on the bye and keep our 1 game lead. Tampa gets Minnesota after the bye, while we are playing detroit, then they get detroit too, so we should win the next two weeks, hope they lose to Minn, but anticipate them beating Detroit, and we would have a 2 game lead on the division. Hopefully at week 14 when we play them again, it wont matter, but we play them in Charlotte, so we should win anyway.

Should be a good game today. I would be very happy with a second half repeat of the first half and finish 12-4... of course 14-2 would be even better.

Nice run for Williams... Kasay misses his first of the season from 54. Jake looks off. Muhs looks great. After that Hurricanes vs Atlanta game, I'm the biggest Carolina Panthers fan on the planet.

Ugly first half... why they even had Kasey try that FG is beyond me.. thanks for screwing up his streak... 9 yards for Smith against a beat up Hall-less secondary? Come on.. What the heck is Jake thinking? The two INTS (that SHOULD have been 40 yard catches for Smith) he wasnt even CLOSE to Smith... thank god for Julius Peppers with his 2 (almost 3) sacks.. and we lead 14-0.. we better come out and kick *** in the second half.. this game shouldnt even be close.

I need smith and williams to be big for me for my fantasy team, since in a rare misstep, Chris Johnson for Tenn rushed an amazing 14 times for (wait for it.....) 3 yards!! :(

4 interceptions are you serious? Jake what are you doing?!? Man.. you better be glad our defense is holding this one down... 14-6, dont let them come back in this one.... come on Jake!

I love Jake... I really do. But, we should just be happy that these 4 INTs came in this game, and not one against a more powerful team, like a division rival... someone who could convert those 4 turnovers into 28 points.

I love Jake... I really do. But, we should just be happy that these 4 INTs came in this game, and not one against a more powerful team, like a division rival... someone who could convert those 4 turnovers into 28 points.

Amen... TB or Atlanta would make us pay big time...

Now a 3 and out with 3 HIGH passes... who the heck is he throwing to???