The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Ugly first half translates into an ugly second half... sadly if we play like this next week Detroit might beat us!!! Grrrr.. gotta kick it into high gear gentlemen! This shoulda been a 64-0 blow out. Very dissapointing. Oakland played really good defense but Jake was throwing it 3 miles away from the recievers... no wonder he threw 4 picks.. did he mistake the black jerseys for us? Think it was a home game Jake?!

Only players even worthy of mentioning are De'angelo Williams and Julius Peppers... Even Muhammeds TD was a gimme, only got like 10 more yards after that. Defense saved us big time.

Hate to see Kalil get injured, but we were running lights out with the other O linemen in... perhaps a blessing in disguise?

If we lose to Detroit next week we could lose the next three and slip out of playoff contention.

Hard to be happy after that embarrassing win. Well, the scoreboard says we won... I'm having a hard time believing it myself. It just shows how absolutely terrible Oakland is, because we played like total garbage, and they still couldn't beat us. Not to take anything away from the defense, which had an amazing game (as always), but they definitely had their chances to pull off the upset. I can tell you this, though... this will not happen against Detroit next week. Oakland is bad, but Detroit is just plain pathetic. The franchise record for most points in a game is 52, and we'll certainly have a shot at that.

And Eric, about your last line... ease up there. This was a dismal performance, but it's not panic time by any means. I'm still confident that we'll make a deep run in the playoffs.

Hard to be happy after that embarrassing win. Well, the scoreboard says we won... I'm having a hard time believing it myself. It just shows how absolutely terrible Oakland is, because we played like total garbage, and they still couldn't beat us. Not to take anything away from the defense, which had an amazing game (as always), but they definitely had their chances to pull off the upset. I can tell you this, though... this will not happen against Detroit next week. Oakland is bad, but Detroit is just plain pathetic. The franchise record for most points in a game is 52, and we'll certainly have a shot at that.

And Eric, about your last line... ease up there. This was a dismal performance, but it's not panic time by any means. I'm still confident that we'll make a deep run in the playoffs.

I just meant how one bad loss can throw a team into a losing skid? (Like people always say about the Canes..lol) Its not that I think that will happen. Atlanta looks good but I think we should be able to handle them, and we get Tampa Bay this time at home.

A win is a win is a win, especially a win on the road.. I'll take it all day long.. But Jakey boy needs to spend some time in practice working on his accuracy. The first pick may not be his fault cause dude wrestled it out of Smiths hands. The second one was ALL on jake.. threw the ball 3 feet to the left of Smith, Smith had NO chance, and the DB looked like the WR on that play with a nice catch. I missed the third INT between that game and the hockey game... but the 4th one was Jakes fault as well, sure it bounced off Hoovers hands and became a tip drill, but he threw it 5 feet too high... Hoover is not Keyshawn or TO.. he can't "climb the ladder" and go up and get one. He's a full back.. put it on his numbers like a hand off and he will catch it 100% of the time.

The problem for Carolina is this, our schedule after Detroit is brutal.. We play AT atlanta, which could be rough. We play AT green bay.. which WILL be rough. We play Tampa Bay at home, which is ok.. still tough but we should win.. We play AT the NY Giants which could be ugly (at this point hopefully playoff position will be decided already) and then finish @ New Orleans which shouldnt be too bad.

Tampa (who I assume will be our compition for the NFC crown) has a slightly easier schedule to finish up.. they play Minnesota at home, very tough but they have a chance to win. Detroit on the road (like it matters) New Orleans at home (easy win) @ Carolina, @Atlanta (Depends on how well Atlanta is doing.. could be tough) San Diego at home (a night game so no 1pm curse, slight edge to Tampa) and Oakland at home, easy win.

I imagine if we lose to the Giants and the Packers, we still have a chance to finish 12-4, but we have to beat Tampa and Atlanta. If Tampa beats Minnesota they could run the table, the only tough game they have left is playing the Panthers at Charlotte where we are undefeated. Even with a lose to us, if they win the rest of thier games they also finish 12-4 and with a 1-1 record between us I dont know what the tie breaker would be.

I'm not worried about Carolina making the playoffs, even if Tampa wins the division Carolina should be a shoe-in for a wildcard since they have been a dominant team all season long.. if we can steal a win against Green Bay or NY and finish 13-3 or 14-2 that would be incredible.

I would forsee another NFC Championship appearance and maybe another Superbowl.. this has been a great year and its got that "feeling" we will go deep.

I have the NFL Network... how come the only time they even mention the Panthers is on "NFL Playbook"? The complete lack of coverage of the Carolina professional organizations has to be intentional, right? Does it have to do with "projected viewers" or estimated Carolina-fans to non-Carolina fans ratio... or what?! Seriously, I know that they like being "under the radar" but for goodness-sake, they are #2 in the NFC (#3 in the league) at 7-2 and will in all likelyness be 8-2 after tomarrow... when is it enough to earn some spotlight time? I'd like to see some commercials, or news stories on the players/staff, or anything. All I see on NFL Network is Chad Johnson, Terrel Owens, and Brett Favre (since Vick is gone). The Florida Panthers get more national recognition.

Sorry, I had to blow off some steam...

Well it was closer then it should have been but Carolina pulled off the win against Detroit. If Detroit had gotten the two point conversion and tied the game and then gone on to win I would have been baffled.. how do you have 2 RBs over 100 yards, both with a TD and then lose? Wow.. glad they held em on that one.. and say what you will about the "facemask" on the 2 point try (which the FOX announcer wouldnt shut the **** up about) it wouldnt have made a damn difference anyway... the 2pt would have been no good and a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff.. it wouldnt have suddenly saved the game for Detroit. I dont know what this funk we are in is but they better figure it out before Atlanta lays the smack down on us next week... what happened to our defense today? Sure we had 2 sacks and the INT but allowed a 100 yard rusher (last time we did that against TB we lost bad)...

Atlanta did us a favor and lost this week to drop to 6-4, Tampa won to move to 7-3 and Carolina improves to 8-2. New Orleans won to move to 5-5 but they are pretty much out of it now.

We better get ready for Atlanta. If we lose next week, assuming Tampa will beat Detroit, we tie at 8-3 and TB has the tiebreaker and takes over 1st in the division. Pretty much every game from here on out is a must win.. how crazy is it we need to win out and go 14-2 to guarantee a divison crown unless TB loses between now and then. Even if we lose the division, we will make the playoffs as a wildcard, but I want that division crown.

I'm not embarrassed about this one like I was against Oakland. At least in this game, we put up 31 points and the defense played solid. Daunte Culpepper wanted to avenge his last game in Bank of America Stadium (which changed his career), so he was obviously really fired up for this one. Yes, we should have won by more, but I'll take it. As long as we keep on winning... I'm fine.

I'm not embarrassed about this one like I was against Oakland. At least in this game, we put up 31 points and the defense played solid. Daunte Culpepper wanted to avenge his last game in Bank of America Stadium (which changed his career), so he was obviously really fired up for this one. Yes, we should have won by more, but I'll take it. As long as we keep on winning... I'm fine.

Oh yeah.. totally agree.. this was not a 4 int debacle with 9 yds by Smith and 10 yds by Williams that we somehow still won.. .LOL.. we played a good game, just didnt expect Detroit to really get anything going. I was a little worried when i turned on the radio in the car at the beginning of the 2nd quarter and they said Carolina just got thier first first down.. (i woulda been more worried if I had known the score was 10-0 Detroit), thankfully by the time we got home it was 14-13 Carolina, and then 21-13 shortly thereafter.

The encouraging thing is that detroit played probably thier best game of the season and we still won. The defense let them run the ball too well, but they stood up when they needed too.. 2 stuffed drives (including the BS roughing the kicker call) including a sack in the 3rd quarter, the goal line stand on the 2 pt conversion, and the near-pick 6 that sealed the game. Not a great defensive performance, but it was enough. I hope we can crush Atlanta next week.

Panthers need a big game today against the Falcons... assuming Tampa will beat Detroit, a loss today would hand the division lead back to Tampa. Both of us have nearly identical schedules from here on out, so if we loss the lead now we may not get it back. I beleive we have the 2nd or 3rd best pass defense in the league, so we'll see what Ryan can do against that, hopefully throw a couple INTs... but we still have to be wary of thier run game.

Wow... what happened to Carolina's defense? We scored enough to win but cant stop them on defense.. this is just embarassing and now we loss the NFC south lead to TB.

I'm not saying that it will happen, but there is certainly the chance that we'll repeat what we did in 2003 and lose three straight after starting 8-2. Granted, we didn't lose after that until the Super Bowl, but still... I'd rather not have to go on a losing streak. With Green Bay and Tampa Bay coming up, there's definitely reason to worry. ESPN's got a good one in that matchup against the Bucs, because that will almost certainly decide the division. Our hopes of being able to rest on Wild Card Weekend lie on that game, because if we lose, I highly doubt we'll get it. We're still a good team, but we've got to be able to put a complete game together, and not just play well in one part of the game. If we can do that, then we'll really be a tough team to handle.

Wow... what happened to Carolina's defense? We scored enough to win but cant stop them on defense.. this is just embarassing and now we loss the NFC south lead to TB.

Agh.. to think..it was 31-21 when I wrote that, figuring the game to be over and Atlanta scores two more TDs.

It probably wouldn't have mattered, but 4th and goal from the three, you get a HAT on the guy at the 2 yard line, and yet he still walks upright into the endzone?? And then 4th and 6 from the 17 when all that matters is pride and you let him walk into the endzone AGAIN.. way to give up D. Turner is a beast.. but the last two TD's we GAVE him... no attempt to stop him at all. 4 rushing TDs? So much for that rush D.

Surprisingly Carolina's offense looked great.. 200+ 2TDS 0INT Rush TD from Jake, 80 and a TD from williams, 160 from Smith, a TD from Muhammed (WHO DROPPED LIKE 5 EASY PASSES)... but the defense STUNK. When we allow rushers WE LOSE.. it happened against TB and it happened against Minnesota... now I am happy this is only our third loss of the season, but all three have been embarrassing... and we cant afford to lose them with TB AND Atlanta breathing down our necks... if we lose ground to Atlanta and Tampa wins the division, we miss the playoffs even if we go 12-4.. only 2 teams from the division will go, i seriously doubt they would have 2 teams from the same division as wildcards (but i suppose it COULD happen, but not likely).

The rest of our schedule is no joyride either... AT GB, VS TB, VS Denver, AT NYG and AT NO.... I think the most we can afford to lose is 2... Tampa is a MUST win, to even that series.. NO is a MUST win even though they are out of playoff contention.. i think vs the Broncos is a MUST win... GB and NYG we lose. Unless TB loses, every game from here on out is a MUST WIN. Not a good spot to be in.

I'm surprised no one made a comment after Deangelo William's 4 TD explosion last week against GB.. guess everybody was out of town for thanksgiving. :)

Monday night is gonna be a big game.. a winner take all (most likely) clash to decide the NFC South division crown. Carolina and TB have nearly identical schedules from here on out, so this head to head contest is the big one. I think even if we lose, we will still be the NFC wildcard, but we are undefeated at home and need to stay that way!

Ah god is anybody else watching this Panthers game? It's killing me, it's like both teams are identical in plays and penalties, can't handle the Delhomme turnovers (although I'm a huge Delhomme supporter and look down on all Delhomme haters.)

:) :) :) Now that's how to win a football game! Great game by the defense, 2 franchise records set (Most rushing yards in a game, team and player) along with 2 NFL records set (First time in a season 2 running backs have had 2 games where both were over 100 yds and 6.0 avg, and First time in a game where 2 running backs where over 100 yds and 7.0 avg) against the 4th ranked defense in the league. Enough said.

What that running duo did tonight was a work of magic. Still not liking some of the decisions Delhomme is making, and he's on my **** list for just putting us under 300 yards rushing with those final knees.

WHAT a game.. holy cow... Not only did the NFL show us something new that I had never had seen before (A team scoring a FG after a lost fumble, that was total BS, I would be HOT if we had lost by 1 point...), and insanely TB played a great game... that one handed grab by Bryant was a thing of beauty... but the defense held when it needed too, and then Williams decided he wasnt happy with just 100 yds rushing, he wanted a TD to go with it.. and then the second one.. I was screaming at the TV as he was running "Screw a first down! Score a Touchdown!!!! GAME OVER!!!"

Stewart is a beast (and lemme tell you, as a Williams fantasy owner, it ticks me off when Williams hauls butt for 74 yards in one chunk, gets tackled at the 2, and then Stewart gets the easy TD), but how about Deangelo Williams breaking out for 6 TDs in the last two games, 13 for the season which is a Stephen Davis record broken, and 3 games left in the season. If he doesnt make the probowl over some injuried has-been like Willie Parker then there is just no justice...

Julius Peppers... wow.. what can I say.. 12.5 sacks compared to 2.5 last year, 1.5 sacks and a blocked kick last night.. the man is back.. and notice how he struggled on the right end and they moved him to left (like they did the beginning of the year) and he instantly gets 2 sacks? I think I've said before, he's a man among boys... and I think people (especially in the NFC) have beefed up the left sides of thier lines with him at right end, so the switch to left leaves them unprotected. Love the UNC basketball reference on the blocked kicked.. nice to get that in there.. LOL... hated him as a tarheel, love him as a panther!

Carolina can take first in the Conference if we beat the Giants in two weeks, and mathmatically not "clinched" per se, but pretty much gauranteed a playoff spot. All we need now is Atlanta to beat TB next week (which I think they can) let those two wrestle over 2nd place and a possible wildcard and Carolina cruises off into the sunset. :)

I was on the edge of my seat all night last night. Great game, so proud of the team and the coach. John Fox was on the hot seat this time last year now he's looking almost like NFL coach of the year for coming up with the Williams Stewart tandum. Great work, GO PANTHERS (not Florida ;) )

Man, it's funny how quickly viewpoints can turn around. Before last night, it was all about Tampa Bay.

"Oh, they've got that division sealed up. Their defense can't be beat. Etc"

Just watching Sportscenter, and they're GUSHING over the Panthers now. Comparing them to the Giants, claiming they're easily a Superbowl team, etc. Of course, if Williams and Stewart continue to do what they did last night, that's not too far-fetched.

I'm loving that I have Johnathan Stewart and Julius Peppers on one of my fantasy teams and Steve Smith(What a GREAT pick up when he was suspended!) on the other.

I couldn't have asked to watch a better game. Thank goodness the Panthers have kept this Browns transplant sane this season!

What that running duo did tonight was a work of magic. Still not liking some of the decisions Delhomme is making, and he's on my **** list for just putting us under 300 yards rushing with those final knees.

I'll trade you Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson for Jake Delhomme. Hey at least the Panthers has had some decent stability at the QB position since he's been here.

Man, it's funny how quickly viewpoints can turn around. Before last night, it was all about Tampa Bay.

"Oh, they've got that division sealed up. Their defense can't be beat. Etc"

Just watching Sportscenter, and they're GUSHING over the Panthers now. Comparing them to the Giants, claiming they're easily a Superbowl team, etc. Of course, if Williams and Stewart continue to do what they did last night, that's not too far-fetched.

It could easily be true though... when Tampa caught us losing and then tied us (after kicking the snot out of us in like week 4) most people assumed TB would take the division lead and run with it (probably with us assumed to lose to GB and then TB back to back weeks and be 2 games behind)...

Now Tampa has to face a pissed off Atlanta team, and a hungry Micheal Turner that just watched us run ALL over them... Atlanta will probably beat TB and then they will be fighting for 2nd while we are cruising along. I wont guarantee a win against Denver, but we are still undefeated at home.

The game against the Giants worrys me, but if we lose all we lose is the #1 seed.. we will be 11-4, still winning the division, and get a first week game at home, even if after that we have to go on the road.

By the time the NO game rolls around it probably wont matter. Unfortunately TB and Atlanta have cupcake schedules to finish compared to Carolina. They face each other, then TB has SD and Oakland (Both at home) and atlanta has Minn on the road and St Louis at home. If Atlanta wins all three, they wont oust Carolina out of the playoffs, but they could knock TB out. With a TB loss to atlanta they would be tied at 11-5.. they would split the head to head with both teams losing on the road, so I dont know who would get the tiebreak. Carolina (with two wins and a loss to NYG would be 12-4 or 13-3 if they win out.) controls there own destiny but its still win or go home.. i doubt they can clinch unless they beat the NYG, else they must win against NO the last week.

I've been away from the board cuz of a few things (my bro came up from Atlanta to visit for a week and exams, mostly kept me busy) but I didn't miss any of the Canes or Panthers games.

I thought the GB game was good... but last night, I was jumping out of my skin. It was such a back-and-forth game, until our defense stepped up and got into the TB offense's heads. It was an all-out collapse, in the 4th. Fantastic performance for the good guys.

The Panthers need to keep this work ethic up, especially against the G-Men. We could get home-field advantage if we run the table in the last games of the season (which is a definite possibility).

About Jake, yeah it is unfortunite to see those INTs, but they are not as bad as they look on paper - more often than not, they were tipped or off the recievers' hands... and I am a believer of the old addage "If it hits a reciever in the hands, he should catch it" considering they are highly paid professionals to catch footballs all day, everyday. Those should have been receptions, not turnovers. But that Barber pick was just an amazing play. Since it didn't change the outcome of the game, I can admit that it was just a great play from Tiki's brother.

I was irrate over that fumble+recovery that got disallowed because some moron blew the whistle prematurely. I'm just glad that it didn't cost us the game.

The absolute "Icing on the cake" was the post-game show when someone hit Steve Young with a souvineer Bank Of America beer cup, durring his "analysis" of the game. For those who didn't know, he trash-talked our home and football team when we were in the NFC West division, saying things like "North Carolina doesn't deserve a pro team." After making some unsportsman-like comments, the Panthers sent him back to San Francisco with his foot in his mouth, after ripping him to shreds on that Sunday. He's not well liked around Charlotte...