The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

I didnt see the second INT(well I saw the replay with the tip drill but I dont know who he was throwing it too)... but the first one was not Jakes fault... he didnt throw it to Barber.. Smith was wide open, or appeared so, and Barber made an AMAZING break on the ball, stepped infront of Smith and wrenched the ball out of his hands...

We got our revenge as Stewart and then Williams both stiff armed, and then face planted Barber on the way to the endzone on back to back drives. LOL...

What ticked me off about the fumble/not fumble.. is in the post game they wanted to talk about the loss of forward momentum and blowing the play dead and all that stuff, and by the rulebook that may have very well been 100% correct, but from watching 5 games a weekend, 9.9 out of 10 times that play would have been ruled a fumble... and then to say its not reviewable?? He was standing up, not even close to down.. pushing against the pile and he got stripped.. it was a fumble plain as day... if that was a punt returner or reciever running into a pack and not a running back with the stupid "forward momentum" rule it woulda been a fumble.

Thats funny about the beer cup.. Carolina is one of the most successful NFL expansion teams... oh well, same as people hatin on the Canes even with their success.

The Panthers need to take care of business and will not have an easy time of it; they face the AFC Western Division leading Broncos, the NFC Eastern Division leader Giants, and then close in a place they historically have trouble in the Superdome.

In contrast, the Bucs face the Falcons and close the season at home versus the Raiders and the Chargers. Gee, it seems that it was eons ago I was at the Old Sombrero watching the Bucs stink up the league in their first two seasons.

The Panthers need to take care of business and will not have an easy time of it; they face the AFC Western Division leading Broncos, the NFC Eastern Division leader Giants, and then close in a place they historically have trouble in the Superdome.

In contrast, the Bucs face the Falcons and close the season at home versus the Raiders and the Chargers. Gee, it seems that it was eons ago I was at the Old Sombrero watching the Bucs stink up the league in their first two seasons.

Yeah.. its surely not gonna be easy. Then again it is the NFL.. lol... TB and Atlanta both have way easier schedules to finish up then we do. The good news is whoever loses the TB/Atlanta matchup is pretty much out of it. If atlanta loses they will be 2 games back with another division loss, if TB loses they will be tied with atlanta and it would depend on the tiebreak.

If atlanta wins out, they will be still only tied for second with TB and may or may not make the playoffs. The worst case scenario is if TB wins out and we dont. But in that case we would still surely make the playoffs as a wildcard. Our best hope is for Atlanta to beat TB next week and then for Atlanta to lose to Minnesota the next week, which would pretty much put them both 2 games back even if we lost to the Giants. Hopefully Atlanta can use the NFC South home field mojo and beat the Bucs. As far as the road game in NO.. that game wont mean anything unless we lose to the Giants and the Bucs win out.

Either way.. gonna be an exciting end to the season, and I still think theres no way we can get eliminated from the playoffs, its just up to whether we will be the division winner or wildcard. Losses by Atlanta and Dallas last week and our win over the Bucs helped out big time.

I love it giving respect for my Broncos ;) most see this as a walk for the Panthers. I hope not

but we shall see.

I was impressed on Monday night, Your team looked great. good luck the other two games

that are not against my Broncos ;)

Yeah, the Broncos game looks like a text-book "trap" game. It is one we should win... but keep in mind how teams play after having huge wins. Usually, they come up flat... like they thought they'd just get the win for showing up. I really hope they keep their minds right, and DO give the Broncos respect, that offense is no joke.

Against the Broncos, they need to keep the same game plan they used against the Saints - rush four + lots of nickel. Can't give Brett Favre Version 2.0 (Cutler) any time to find a reciever. That is the key.

As long as the Giants are concerned... we need to use our Falcons plan. I am not as worried about that game, because the Panthers KNOW that is going to be a rough one... so they will be prepared. I am hoping that the Burress situation is enough of a distraction (not to mention Eli's fave target is not playing) that the Panthers will just need to keep the running game in check and take what the Giants give em - play smart. We shut-them-out in NY in 2005 (playoffs!) so there is no reason why we can't do it again.

Jerry Richardson is now on the heart-donor list. I hope he gets a heart soon, cuz he is 72. I also hope that the Panthers use that as extra motivation to play to their best ability - I would hate for them to go all the way and have Jerry miss it. Join me in prayer for him. Thanks

the tougher the next three games are the better so long as there are no injuries. I would rather go into the playoffs with a head of steam then sleeping through the last week or two.

Broncos is a classic panther loss, coming off a big win, and an entire week of people playing up the panthers and down on the other team. I hope they win, but if they do the typical panther thing to do, it will be a frustrating loss. That said, I hope williams and stewart get another 4 TDs and 250+ rushing ;) for an epic clash with the giants.

Jerry Richardson is now on the heart-donor list. I hope he gets a heart soon, cuz he is 72. I also hope that the Panthers use that as extra motivation to play to their best ability - I would hate for them to go all the way and have Jerry miss it. Join me in prayer for him. Thanks

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/407641.html' target="_blank">Charlotte Observer link[/post]

I was definitely shocked when I saw that on the news last night. I had the chance to meet Mr. Richardson a couple of times back when I lived in Charlotte in the late 90's. Definitely a super nice guy! I'm hoping for the best for him and his family.

THANK YOU ATLANTA for beating TB!! Now even if we lose to Denver, we are 10-4 still 1 game ahead of both of them. So far 7-7, I wouldnt mind a repeat of the TB game.

Selmin (sp?) Young gave us an early Christmas present right at the end of the first half. Other than the Broncos first two drives we played pretty solid on both sides of the ball. I'd like to see us run a bit more, but hey if the pass works why stop?

Who do we pull for on Sunday Night Football tonight Giants vs Boys? If NYG lose it helps us in our quest for the #1 seed, but if Dallas loses we clinch a playoff spot? I guess I'd rather NYG lose so we have a shot at #1.

Good point.. Dallas loses, we clinch a playof spot, and still have a chance to fight for #1... sounds good to me.

Great game today.. defense struggled again in the first half but they figured out how to stop them and then shut them down.. much like the TB game. Great games once again from Smith and Williams.. even Muhammed had a decent day with 3 or 4 big catchs in a row.

Next weeks game should be great! This Panthers team is the real deal... no more skin of the teeth wins like early in the season.. last couple of weeks we have shut people down and ended games at halftime. I smell a deep playoff run.. probably NFC championship game.

probably NFC championship game.

Presuming the Panthers wrap up the bye, I don't see any team outside of the Giants beating this team. I think you could argue that next week's game is the biggest regular season game in Panthers history, because I don't think anyone wants to have to win at the Meadowlands for the right to go to the Super Bowl. Prime time, national TV, the two best teams in the NFC (and possibly the league)... this should be something else.

Presuming the Panthers wrap up the bye, I don't see any team outside of the Giants beating this team. I think you could argue that next week's game is the biggest regular season game in Panthers history, because I don't think anyone wants to have to win at the Meadowlands for the right to go to the Super Bowl. Prime time, national TV, the two best teams in the NFC (and possibly the league)... this should be something else.

I know it was a very different Giants team (and a very different Eli Manning) that we played a while back, but didnt we shutout the Giants 23-0 at the Meadowlands a few years back? If we do have to play there I'm sure both teams will remember that.

I know it was a very different Giants team (and a very different Eli Manning) that we played a while back, but didnt we shutout the Giants 23-0 at the Meadowlands a few years back? If we do have to play there I'm sure both teams will remember that.

Yeah... the Giants are STILL looking for Steve Smith.

They mentioned it during the Car/TB game when they were talking about how the Car/NYG game would decide the #1 seed in the NFC. They didnt mention the score, but they said the last time we met, Carolina won in the playoffs, probably during our superbowl run in 03. That would have been Eli's rookie year.

This team this year has really impressed the heck out of me... I havent seen the Panthers play this good in a long time.. Sure we got blown out by TB.. sure we lost to Minnesota when we shouldnt have, sure Atlanta man handled us on the road, but we also beat Atlanta and TB at home, are undefeated at home, and the last 3 weeks (GB, TB, Den) we have handily won games that in past years I would have chalked up to a loss. In fact I wasnt sure we could beat GB or Denver. If we can beat the Giants next week, like THM said, I dont see anyone who can beat us, and we are looking at a deep run. If we get home field for the entire playoffs, I hope our home field mojo can continue!

The first couple of weeks, they had to scramble for some wins.. last second against SD, last second against Chicago... but now, they dont even seem like they are "trying", its very methodical, planned out.. also the defense is winning games for us, so Delhomme and Co. are not having to scramble all over the place throwing hail marys. The last 3 games have been over in the 3rd quarter, if not halftime. This is a deadly team... you notice against Denver, after they double and triple covered Smith, Williams broke off the 56 yard TD run, cause everyone was watching Smith... We can hit you on the ground or the air... The second half defensive adjustment that stopped Denver was no longer playing thier non existant run game, pressuring Cutler and double covering recievers.. if people do that against us Williams and Stewart will burn them.

They mentioned it during the Car/TB game when they were talking about how the Car/NYG game would decide the #1 seed in the NFC. They didnt mention the score, but they said the last time we met, Carolina won in the playoffs, probably during our superbowl run in 03. That would have been Eli's rookie year.

This team this year has really impressed the heck out of me... I havent seen the Panthers play this good in a long time.. Sure we got blown out by TB.. sure we lost to Minnesota when we shouldnt have, sure Atlanta man handled us on the road, but we also beat Atlanta and TB at home, are undefeated at home, and the last 3 weeks (GB, TB, Den) we have handily won games that in past years I would have chalked up to a loss. In fact I wasnt sure we could beat GB or Denver. If we can beat the Giants next week, like THM said, I dont see anyone who can beat us, and we are looking at a deep run. If we get home field for the entire playoffs, I hope our home field mojo can continue!

The first couple of weeks, they had to scramble for some wins.. last second against SD, last second against Chicago... but now, they dont even seem like they are "trying", its very methodical, planned out.. also the defense is winning games for us, so Delhomme and Co. are not having to scramble all over the place throwing hail marys. The last 3 games have been over in the 3rd quarter, if not halftime. This is a deadly team... you notice against Denver, after they double and triple covered Smith, Williams broke off the 56 yard TD run, cause everyone was watching Smith... We can hit you on the ground or the air... The second half defensive adjustment that stopped Denver was no longer playing thier non existant run game, pressuring Cutler and double covering recievers.. if people do that against us Williams and Stewart will burn them.

It's all about Delhomme dude, I wish this could serve as a lesson to all Delhomme haters, especially when you compare last season to this season. Delhomme, Smith, Muhammad, Williams, Stewart = Scoring at will.

Yes on yesterdays game vs a very up and down Denver team. The Giants will be the real test. They are just as good as your team

but are struggling a bit now without Plexico who bascially screwed them big time.

Dellome must be turnover free at NY to win that game. I think you can do that. Good luck and enjoy being good

(lessen learned from our Canes, it does not last forever and my Broncos have not been like your team since 1997-98)

It's all about Delhomme dude, I wish this could serve as a lesson to all Delhomme haters, especially when you compare last season to this season. Delhomme, Smith, Muhammad, Williams, Stewart = Scoring at will.

Absolutely.. no question about it.. the difference between without him last year and with him this year is obvious.. and another big factor is the TRUST John Fox has in him... how many games have we seen him struggle early, throw a few picks, only to come back late, still throwing the ball and notch a couple TDs.. Bringing Muhammed back was a genius move.. Now with Jarret (not much success, but deserves respect on D), Smith (Can make a catch in double/triple coverage and still out run the guys), Muhammed (can knock people on there butts and run right through them) and TE King (Sure handed, rarely drops) the reciever corp for Delhomme is unquestionably one of the best in the league. Only Owens, Witten and Williams for Dallas comes close and Williams has only been there a few games. If you shut down TO Dallas doesnt have many other weapons.

They made the comparison last night to the Foster/Davis tandem from our Super Bowl run in 03... I dont know who all the recievers were that year, but I know Muhammed was still with us and Smith was with us. This team is set up almost the exact same way. In fact the Foster/Davis tandem was nearly all Davis and not much Foster, whereas Williams and Stewart split the load fairly equally so neither one really gets gassed.. we still have a strong running game in the 4th quarter which has allowed us to salt games away. This team can go far, and with a playoff caliber defense to boot!

And Medford, dont get too down on your Broncos.. I was surprised we beat them so handily, they were unstoppable in the first half.. we had to make some major defensive adjustments in the second half to stop Cutler.. what killed you was you quit running the ball, even though it hadnt been that successful, and we get 2 sacks and a INT in the second half when we hadnt been even close to touching him in the first half. Denver is still leading thier division and most likely heading to the playoffs. Dont lose hope yet!

Ugh, please don't tell me it's all about Delhomme. He's an average QB. The only reason the stats from last year and this year differ is because last year, we were using below average QBs.

Imagine this team if we had an above average QB throwing to Smith and Moose. A QB that doesn't ruin every other drive by trying to force a play only to end up throwing an interception.

Dude Delhomme is so clutch, he is a big game player. When the game is on the line I want Jake Delhomme at the helm, see 2003 Playoffs. See 2006 Playoffs, the only reason we lost to the Seahawks is because we only had one viable receiver and no running backs. We basically had nothing AND went into Chicago and destroyed them that year (although we lost DeShaun Foster in the process.) No way dude, Delhomme is the catalyst, no doubt. Give me a blue collar "average" qb who is still excited to be there any day over an over paid "star qb". Emotional average blue collar Jake Delhomme is the back bone of that ball team.