The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

It was in the 2005-06 Playoffs that Carolina stormed into New York and stole the show, winning 23-0. As usual, the Panthers were underestimated, with the Giants HEAVILY favored to win. Eli Manning is the most over-rated QB in the league (now that people have finally accepted the fact that Rex Grossman sucks). His career is proof that even a blind monkey finds a banana, now and then. HE is the average QB surrounded by a fantastic team (well, not so much now as last season). People think that he is supposed to be as good as his older brother, but they are sorely mistaken.

As far as Jake is concerned, I would say that he is above average, especially in games that are of great importance. I think it was during the Seattle game, they put up a stat on the screen that blew my mind... Jake had a better QB rating in the playoffs than every other QB except Bart Starr. That was before the conclusion of that game, which I am sure changed his rating... but at that time he was number 2.

In the past, Jake made a lot of "bonehead" throws, but he seems to have fixed that. And, like I said before, 80% of the INTs he has thrown this season were off his recievers' hands. If a reciever gets his hands on a ball, he should catch it. So I don't blame Jake for those. He has really improved since that potential career-ending sugery. He has amazed me this season.

Jake's passion also makes him more of a complete player. He has enough for an entire team.

I think AppState has it right... Look at some of the "journeyman" QBs in the league right now who are happy to just be playing the game, and they are having more success then some of the "stars" like Manning (either one) and McNabb... Two of the top QBs in the league right now are Drew Brees and Kurt Warner, yeah they used to be superstars, but they are with different teams now. Jake loves playing in Carolina and that much is obvious, as opposed to Eli who refused to play with his draft team and rose such a STINK (I love the fact that Rivers has had the better of that exchange) and I loved watching him get pounded his rookie year.. he's just not that good.. Can we win next week? Yeah I think we can, but it wont be easy.. Missing Plax hurts them, but thats only one of the weapons they have.. but Dallas destroyed their run game, which is something Carolina has been doing to teams all year... JB's right.. all Eli did to win the superbowl last year was be on the team... any QB could have won it with the weapons they had and that killer defense.

The Chargers HAVE to win next week to keep thier slim playoff hopes alive, so hopefully they can do us a favor and beat TB... of course TB is a must win also. Atlanta going up against Minnesota.. dont know how to call that one.. Minnesota sucked to start the season but has since turned it around.. could be a close game. Of course if Carolina wins next week we clinch the division and the #1 seed, so the rest wont matter at that point.

Should be fun next week... hopefully the NO game will not be a must win for Carolina.

I think you could argue that next week's game is the biggest regular season game in Panthers history, because I don't think anyone wants to have to win at the Meadowlands for the right to go to the Super Bowl. Prime time, national TV, the two best teams in the NFC (and possibly the league)... this should be something else.

There's no arguing necessary... it is the biggest regular-season game in Panthers history, and since October, there's been no doubt that NBC was going to use it as the flex game for this week. I just wish Sunday would get here already, because the suspense is killing me. I can't even imagine how jacked up I'll be when the countdown to kickoff turns into mere minutes.

The panthers the past 3 games have played like the best team in the NFL. The other teams that have been playing good all season have been lackluster, the Titans, the Giants, ect. There if we beat the Giants this week, there isn't a team in the NFC that I would be afraid of playing at home in the playoffs. In the AFC, don't sleep on the colts(7 game win streak), and the steelers(5 game win streak), the rest is a toss up imo.

Regarding Jake, he is the team's leader, he fires up the players, gets them motivated, whether they are up or down, and that was the biggest piece missing from last season with him gone more then his arm.

The panthers the past 3 games have played like the best team in the NFL. The other teams that have been playing good all season have been lackluster, the Titans, the Giants, ect. There if we beat the Giants this week, there isn't a team in the NFC that I would be afraid of playing at home in the playoffs. In the AFC, don't sleep on the colts(7 game win streak), and the steelers(5 game win streak), the rest is a toss up imo.

Regarding Jake, he is the team's leader, he fires up the players, gets them motivated, whether they are up or down, and that was the biggest piece missing from last season with him gone more then his arm.

I cant wait 'till Sunday when the Panthers play the Giants. What do u think the outcome is going to be???

I cant wait 'till Sunday when the Panthers play the Giants. What do u think the outcome is going to be???

With the nasty weather and nasty fans, the Giants should win by 10.

Panthers 23-10.

And with Dallas going down in miserable fashion - back to back 75+ yard TD runs for McGahee and McLain with less than five minutes to go - the Panthers are officially IN THE PLAYOFFS! Now let's enter January in style.

Sigh. The Panthers D really let me down in this game. How many 3rd downs were the Giants able to convert on?

EDIT: And there's a key third down they let go. Changed it from a 50-yard attempt to what essentially is an easy FG.

Carolina should won that game about 5 different times, and the Giants were a fluky bounce back to McQuarters away from losing the game. I think Carolina's the better team and they'll win the rematch in four weeks.

Sigh. The Panthers D really let me down in this game. How many 3rd downs were the Giants able to convert on?

How many 3rd downs were the same crossing route underneath? You would think a defense would be able to pick up on something so simple. Also where did Derrick Ward come from?

However there is still hope to get homefield in the playoffs. With the way the Giants generally play in Dec/Jan they could possibly lose an early playoff game and we could still gain it. Just trying to look on the bright side.

Well the bright side is that maybe if these two teams play in the NFC Title game, maybe the Panthers will have Stewart and Smith do something because they were absent for most of the game. Muhammed and Williams played great, Delhomme played pretty good, but the defense needed to make some adjustments they simply did not make. I mean like some one said earlier in this thread, how many times did the Giants flip a pass a yard past the 1st down marker on a 3rd down play. The short passing game was killing the Panthers and they never adjusted.

Also I really, really disagreed with some of their play calls late in that game. Before Kasay kicked the field goal, I don't see why they didn't try to convert that 3rd down with a pass over the middle. Running it on a 3rd and 6 wasn't a smart move. Also in OT, why not try to run it on a 3rd and 3 instead of pass it? Neither of those two play calls made much sense to me.

Carolina was the overall better team in my eyes in that game. If only that muffed punt could've gone their way......oh well...... hopefully they'll take care of the Saints, get a bye in the playoffs and move on to take out the G-men in the NFC Title Game or maybe the Giants will lose before the Title Game and the Panthers will still essentially have home field.

Also I really, really disagreed with some of their play calls late in that game. Before Kasay kicked the field goal, I don't see why they didn't try to convert that 3rd down with a pass over the middle. Running it on a 3rd and 6 wasn't a smart move. Also in OT, why not try to run it on a 3rd and 3 instead of pass it? Neither of those two play calls made much sense to me.

I can't fault the run before the FG try. New York was out of timeouts, and Fox wanted to milk every second off the clock before potentially having to kick it back to them after the FG. Throw the pass incomplete, there's 40 seconds left and a long FG. Kasay misses it (which is what happened, thanks wind) and the G-Men are near midfield with time to try and get cute.

Now why they didn't run the ball in OT, I'm not sure. I'm with you though, the Panthers were the better team for most of the night, but their defense wore down as the game progressed, and that's what killed them.

How many 3rd downs were the same crossing route underneath? You would think a defense would be able to pick up on something so simple. Also where did Derrick Ward come from?

However there is still hope to get homefield in the playoffs. With the way the Giants generally play in Dec/Jan they could possibly lose an early playoff game and we could still gain it. Just trying to look on the bright side.

Disappointing to lose that game.. but I guess its not surprise the game between the NFCs two best teams goes to OT.

All hope is not lost though, as long as we win next week against NO which should be pretty easy despite the way they blasted the woeful lions, Carolina wins the division and the #2 seed in the playoffs and we would get 2 home playoff games before potentially having to travel to NY for the NFC Championship game. If not for a couple of flukey long runs NY doesnt win. I was listening to the second half on the radio after we dominated the first half, so I was surprised to come home and it be tied. I dont know what happened, but I think we would have a shot to win a rematch. Carolina is scary good. I really REALLY dont want to run into Atlanta in the second round though..that could be trouble.

Not two home games if we get the #2 seed, just one... the divisional round game. Unless the Giants lose their divisional round game, in which case we would host the NFC title game.

Do we only play one game if we get the bye? My bad.. i thought it was 2 games after the bye before the conference championship game...

Well we have to win against NO cause Atlanta gets a gimme against St Louis... How bad will the haters dis on Carolina if we lose the division on the last game even though we have clearly been one of the best teams in the NFC this year.

Wild-card teams and the two division winners with the worst records have to win four games to win it all, but the four teams with the first-round bye only need three.

Wild-card teams and the two division winners with the worst records have to win four games to win it all, but the four teams with the first-round bye only need three.

Ah ok.. Its funny how little attention you pay to the playoffs when your team isnt in it..

The way it looks in the NFC now, if everyone wins who needs too, NYG and Car as the #1 and #2 seeds with the bye, Vikes(or Bears) as the #3 and Arizona as the #4. Atlanta (10-5) and Tampa/Dallas (9-6) as the wildcards. How cool would it be that after they talked about the closeness and parity of the NFC South all year long, that 3 NFC South teams make the playoffs, stealing both Wildcards. Atlanta has a gimme at St Louis and TB has a cake walk at Oakland. TB needs help, if Dallas wins they are in, and the Bears need a lot of help, but if they win they can make it.

First round - Vikes/Bears (3) vs Tampa/Dallas (6), and Atlanta(5) vs Arizona.(4)

Second Round - NYG vs V/B vs T/D winner (I think), and Car vs Atl Ariz winner... that would suck to have to face Atlanta.

If they reseed for the lowest seed it would likely be NYG (1) vs Az (4) and Car (2) vs Vikes/Bears(3) provided Arizona can actually win one.

If they reseed for the lowest seed it would likely be NYG (1) vs Az (4) and Car (2) vs Vikes/Bears(3) provided Arizona can actually win one.

Yeah, they re-seed... and I'm going on record right now saying that unless the Patriots back into the AFC East title, all four road teams will win on Wild Card Weekend.

Presuming Carolina locks down the bye, they could NOT play Tampa or Dallas in the divisional round, as the 6 seed will be sent to the top seed every time. But I'd gladly welcome Arizona or Minnesota to Charlotte the second weekend of January. Atlanta... not so much.

Yeah, they re-seed... and I'm going on record right now saying that unless the Patriots back into the AFC East title, all four road teams will win on Wild Card Weekend.

Presuming Carolina locks down the bye, they could NOT play Tampa or Dallas in the divisional round, as the 6 seed will be sent to the top seed every time. But I'd gladly welcome Arizona or Minnesota to Charlotte the second weekend of January. Atlanta... not so much.

Yeah.. I really do not want to face Atlanta in the playoffs.. they are on a tear right now, and are one of the few teams that knows how to beat us. Even though we've lost to Minnesota earlier in the year, we are a much better team now then we were week 3, and even though they are better too, I like that matchup.. Arizona just doesnt seem to care anymore, and my concern is an Arizona/Atlanta matchup where Atlanta tears them apart. Granted, we handled Atlanta well at home, and if we face them in the second round it will be at home (if we win the DIV)...

That said, I'm happy we are in the playoffs.. the fact that we had to have 11 wins before we clinched a playoff spot is a little disturbing.. not that we wouldnt have gone, but because the division was still up in the air. Lets hope St Louis gets embarassed enough to play a good game and beat Atlanta for us LOL..