The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

I believe congratulation are in order to Jake Delhomme for SINGLE HANDEDLY SCREWING UP CAROLINA'S BEST CHANCE AT A SUPER BOWL IN 5 FREAKINF YEARS. 5 interceptions and a fumble.. are you flipping serious? 2 interceptions in the FREAKING ENDZONE!!!!! COME ON!!!! At first I was gonna blame the D for not covering Fitzgerald and giving up 30... but if we had 6 TDs instead of 6 Turnovers WE WOULDA STILL WON!!!!!! GOOD JOB JAKE! ENJOY THE OFF SEASON AND GOOD LUCK COME DRAFT DAY CAUSE YOUR BUTT IS GONE.

Ya know..the announcers were getting all high and mighty for Arizona stopping turner and then stopping us.. theres nothing to stop?!?! 5 carries the whole game?!?! Why in the name of all that is holy did we abandon a running game that carried us all FREAKING SEASON?!?!? Why the sudden change in game plan?!? After you kick Jake to the curb fire the Offense Coordinator too.. what kinda bull hockey was that?! Absolutely disgusting...

Next chance for a Carolina Super Bowl : 2012 and counting.

Wow, pathetic game. I went over to watch it at my friends house... good thing none of us were that into the game or else i would be really bummed right now. We stopped watching at half time and just goofed off so I am in a great mood. But Jake is probably gone unfortunately, I dont know how he can have any confidence in himself or how the team can follow him any more.

What did NC do to deserve having all of their pro teams get just completely annihilated?

Well, I don't want to say anything, because I'm better than that...

BUT I TOLD YA'LL SO!!!

Seriously though...I only picked against Carolina because I thought that once you shut down their running game, they were beatable. I never, ever in a million years though would have guessed that ONE player would dismantle his own team in such outstanding fashion as Jake Delhomme did tonight for his Carolina Panthers...I didn't see it coming at all. I think I mentioned that Delhomme was a flop, and that Carolina couldn't ride him to victory, but still I never would have seen (or guessed) his performance tonight coming. I'm sure you serious Panthers fans are in even more dismay than I am.

I did not want to see the Cardinals in the conf. championship though...what a laugher. I just wanted the Panthers to get there and lose, not completely miss out.

So what happens with Fox now? Any blame on him? Or is it all with Delhomme? Hard to imagine a playoff team (at home!) losing because of just one player, but honest to God this game may very well defy that logical thinking. Just ridiculous.

EDIT: And you guys didn't even get to use your running game! I'm not even a fan and that pisses me off...the Cardinals aren't great against the run and yet it didn't even matter...again, ridiculous.

I think that's just it, fallen. The Cardinals didn't "shut down" our running game. We never ran the ball. For whatever reason, we ran it well our first possession, then decided "That's that" and decided to pass the ball for the remainder of the game.

It's possible that the coach wanted to "ride Delhomme to victory", but I wish he'd have ran that idea by the fans first. They would have told him it's a stupid idea and probably would have called for his head on a pike for even suggesting it.

Delhomme's gone. No doubt about that. You don't put that kind of performance up and get away scott-free. Fox is probably also gone, because he decided to revert back to his Giants days and completely ignore the run game.

Five.

Five dollar.

Five dollar footlong.

Delhomme should be run out of town, thrown under the bus, and drawn and quartered all at the same time after this EPIC performance.

Jake Dellome is like Rex Grossman with that performance

He reminded me of Jake the Fake Plummer who used to be a fraud

for my team as well.

Also their defense got shredded by Warner (a class act)

and Fitzgerald.

Great win for Arizona, I give them full credit.

I am dissapointed for the crossover fans of the Panthers though. I did not

care they lost but I do feel for them.

I think that's just it, fallen. The Cardinals didn't "shut down" our running game. We never ran the ball. For whatever reason, we ran it well our first possession, then decided "That's that" and decided to pass the ball for the remainder of the game.

It's possible that the coach wanted to "ride Delhomme to victory", but I wish he'd have ran that idea by the fans first. They would have told him it's a stupid idea and probably would have called for his head on a pike for even suggesting it.

Delhomme's gone. No doubt about that. You don't put that kind of performance up and get away scott-free. Fox is probably also gone, because he decided to revert back to his Giants days and completely ignore the run game.

Yeah.. of course when 2 possessions in the first half Jake throws interceptions on FIRST DOWN. I guess its hard to say what plays they MIGHT have run.

I like Jake.. I do.. but my thoughts mirror yours.. you cannot blow one of the most important games of your career that bad and not get punished. I doubt he will get traded,(no one wants him) and I'm not so sure he'll get cut. But I wouldnt be surprised to see us draft a QB and then have a three way race between draftee, Moore, and Delhomme in spring ball. The bad thing is we are gonna be smack dab in the middle of the draft class, like 19th or something.. so of course no shot at guys like sam bradford or tim tebow... and I dont know how else is out there that would hold on to late first round. Maybe pick up a nobody in the 3rd or 4th and hope he turns out good?

John Fox on the other hand I think is safe. He's a defensive coach and he runs the defensive side of the ball.. I know he has that run first mentality, and he likes that, but I really dont think he was the one calling the offensive plays. I could be wrong.. But i'm not so sure the blame rests squarely on his shoulders. Maybe they thought they could catch Arizona sleeping and pass on first down, with the plans of running on second and short, and Jake killed that idea throwing pick after pick after pick... I think Fox has done too much for this ballclub to get kicked to the curb.. but you never know what these owners and GMs are thinking.. coaches with winning records get canned all the time.

The major dissapointment is that is could have been a great chance for Carolina to win the super bowl... we could have handled the rematch with the Gmen.. hell we shoulda beat them the first time.. couple of bad calls, and a windblown field goal... Tennessee is out in the AFC, so we would have been going up against either Baltimore, SD or Pittsburgh... SD we can beat, Baltimore is tought defense, but we stand a chance.. Pittsburgh who knows.. thier D is so good.. #1 in the league.

Now, heres how I see it playing out... Eagles upset the Gmen, Arizona destroys the Eagles, but then the Cards get dismantled in the Superbowl by Pittsburgh.. the Super Bowl becomes a yawn fest at like 12-3. A couple thousand rabid fans in pittsburgh are the only ones who care.

My guess is that Tebow's there late first round. And I'd take him in a heartbeat. Give him a couple of seasons to polish up the mechanics, and in the meantime, use him as an H-back and/or Wildcat QB to really mix things up. Imagine Tebow lined up in shotgun with Williams and Stewart on either side of him. How do you defend that?

That is, unless nobody usurps Jake as the #1 guy. If that's the case, Tebow starts Week 1 next season.

My guess is that Tebow's there late first round. And I'd take him in a heartbeat. Give him a couple of seasons to polish up the mechanics, and in the meantime, use him as an H-back and/or Wildcat QB to really mix things up. Imagine Tebow lined up in shotgun with Williams and Stewart on either side of him. How do you defend that?

That is, unless nobody usurps Jake as the #1 guy. If that's the case, Tebow starts Week 1 next season.

Panthers don't have a 1st round pick this year, and Tebow is being projected around the 3rd round.

Panthers don't have a 1st round pick this year, and Tebow is being projected around the 3rd round.

I don't keep up with that stuff... but if he's there in the second round, I'd take him.

Why is Tebow so low in the draft? I don't really follow the NFL draft, but winning a Heisman and 2 National Championships looks pretty good on a resume. Not to mention the individual awards/records he broke.

Why is Tebow so low in the draft? I don't really follow the NFL draft, but winning a Heisman and 2 National Championships looks pretty good on a resume. Not to mention the individual awards/records he broke.

Because he's not a great thrower or great runner; NFL teams like either or, not a hybrid. I remember Jason White from Oklahoma a few years ago setting passing records galore, but really his mechanics were bad and thus he went undrafted. I personally believe that Tebow will be a good NFL player and can throw or run well, but high draft picks go to the players that are mechanically sound at their position(s) and aren't projects.

In other news, I thought this was interesting: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?eref=fromSI''>http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?eref=fromSI' target="_blank">http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?eref=fromSI[/post]

Favre for Delhomme. :lol:

Panthers though do need to find a good QB; Tebow wouldn't be bad but he'd need some time. Does the franchise really have time to wait? Or do ya'll want a proven QB now? Especially since, IMO, the Panthers already have a talented roster that can win...just need a capable QB.

Joe Flacco isn't a "proven" QB. But he is "capable." And the Ravens are in the AFC Title Game.

I don't need a proven QB to lead my team. I just want one that isn't going to lose the game for me. The Panthers roster has a sound defense and one of the best running games in the league. Steve Smith is the type of receiving talent that can make an average QB look good. The Panthers don't need a gunslinger. The Panthers don't even need a pro bowler. They just need a game manager. A guy who is going to make safe passes and who can hit the big play 4-5 times a game. Everything else will take care of itself.

There was only ONE way the Panthers lose that game last night, and it happened.

If you want to look on the brightside, at least Delhomme throws five INT's in this game rather than the Super Bowl. It would have been much more devastating if we had gotten in the Super Bowl and he gives that performance.

Yeah.. but it wouldnt have been so embarrassing going up against the leagues best defense in Pittsburgh or Baltimore.. it would have been "Eh.. good defense.. it happens.. " instead of "Jake throws the game... literally" Arizona has a good defense but not that good.. they didnt stop the running game, and they didnt "force" 6 turnovers as joe buck says.. Jake made stupid decisions and threw into triple coverage time and time again.. .someone has to be open?

As far as Tebow.. yeah he's great.. but he's not a QB... he's a RB that occasionally throws a flea flicker... yeah, he has thrown more lately then in years past, but still not that much... the only reason he got the heisman last year was cause he had 10+ TDs both rushing and passing, which was kinda unheard of. I wouldnt mind having him, but that would take away the Smith threat.. cause I'm not so sure Tebow can throw it 65 yards. Watching the championship game he either ran it.. pitched it on the option, or threw that little 5 yard jump pass... that was about it. I dont think Fox wants to run a triple option, and it never works in the NFL anyway. I'm sure the reason he's projected so low, is that he's unwilling to play TE or RB like the teams want, but no one is willing to take him as a QB... plus he's probably staying for his senior year anyway so its a moot point. If he works on his throwing but still shows a good run threat, ala Micheal Vick then someone will take him as a scrambling QB.

That's easily the worst game I've seen by Carolina this year, while Arizona did play well , they did get some help with bad turnovers by Carolina and the defense left Fitzgerald too open early in the game.

It's weird that Arizona will have home-field advantage in the championship game, and could possibly go to a superbowl, they looked the weakest out of all the playoff teams.

I honestly don't know how such a great season could end like this. Why did we abandon the stellar running game that got us this far? I just don't know.

As far as all the Jake haters... I obviously agree that his performance was so bad that there is no negative adjective in the dictionary to do it justice, but I don't think getting rid of him or Coach Fox is the answer. We have a bright future, and I'm looking forward to next season.

I've lived here for 13 yrs now and so i far i just can't get my head around the Panthers, not a Jake fan is #1 reason, not a big Fox fan either. So maybe if they were to get a coach like Cower (really makes sense to me) and get rid of Jake maybe more of us transplants would get behind them like we have with the CANES.

I've lived here for 13 yrs now and so i far i just can't get my head around the Panthers, not a Jake fan is #1 reason, not a big Fox fan either. So maybe if they were to get a coach like Cower (really makes sense to me) and get rid of Jake maybe more of us transplants would get behind them like we have with the CANES.

If you get rid of John Fox, you would have to completely rebuild the team which could take years. Fox has built up the stellar defense we have now with Beason and Peppers and Co. that are a big part of our current success. Yeah Smith is amazing and Williams/Stewart have carried us this year, but we win games on defense... blocked FGs, interceptions in the endzone, multiple forced fumbles, sacks to make teams punt and not kick FGs.. A new coach may be more offensive minded and want to build a team around a flashy QB and 4 or 5 WRs and come out like Arizona or Philly or a team like that. I would assume that would take multiple draft classes or lots of money spent in free agency to make that happen, and I just dont see that. Richardson of the Panthers is nearly a mirror image of Rutherford of the Canes.. do the best you can with a little bit of money, dont get near the cap and invest the rest of the money in the success of the team. Now, football in NC is not a minor market the way hockey is, but with the Panthers as an expansion team, he still had to be careful and he could have gone out and got the Eli's or the River's and the Reggie Bush's and guys like that but he would have bankrupted the team and had to move it to Toronto... I just dont see the Panther's JR making a move like that. I think Delhomme stays, but will have to seriously fight for his job... Matt Moore may start the season as the #1 QB.

I dont know what the GMs and owners will do.. and perhaps it is time for a new coach... Like Herb Sendek who made it to the tourney ever year but never won... Maybe Fox has taken the team as far as it can go... but he did take us to the super bowl, and we only lost by 3 points on a 50+ yard FG... so its not like we got blasted. People forget that NE barely won that super bowl. Like most Panther fans, I'm curious to see what happens next.

I hated to see the Panthers get dominated like that. It is such a shame because they are a top team when they play the way they are capable of playing. At least the cheating Patriots are not in it. I am sick of seeing those cheaters in the playoffs and all of the bandwagon fans. Belicheat cannot win by sticking to the rules.