The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

If you get rid of John Fox, you would have to completely rebuild the team which could take years. Fox has built up the stellar defense we have now with Beason and Peppers and Co. that are a big part of our current success. Yeah Smith is amazing and Williams/Stewart have carried us this year, but we win games on defense... blocked FGs, interceptions in the endzone, multiple forced fumbles, sacks to make teams punt and not kick FGs.. A new coach may be more offensive minded and want to build a team around a flashy QB and 4 or 5 WRs and come out like Arizona or Philly or a team like that. I would assume that would take multiple draft classes or lots of money spent in free agency to make that happen, and I just dont see that. Richardson of the Panthers is nearly a mirror image of Rutherford of the Canes.. do the best you can with a little bit of money, dont get near the cap and invest the rest of the money in the success of the team. Now, football in NC is not a minor market the way hockey is, but with the Panthers as an expansion team, he still had to be careful and he could have gone out and got the Eli's or the River's and the Reggie Bush's and guys like that but he would have bankrupted the team and had to move it to Toronto... I just dont see the Panther's JR making a move like that. I think Delhomme stays, but will have to seriously fight for his job... Matt Moore may start the season as the #1 QB.

I dont know what the GMs and owners will do.. and perhaps it is time for a new coach... Like Herb Sendek who made it to the tourney ever year but never won... Maybe Fox has taken the team as far as it can go... but he did take us to the super bowl, and we only lost by 3 points on a 50+ yard FG... so its not like we got blasted. People forget that NE barely won that super bowl. Like most Panther fans, I'm curious to see what happens next.

Yep thats kinda what i was getting at,,Not saying Fox is a bad coach but maybe its just time for a change. But i do believe that Jake's career as a starting QB is just about over. Yes they have a good defense for the most part but it didn't look too good last weekend.

Joe Flacco isn't a "proven" QB. But he is "capable." And the Ravens are in the AFC Title Game.

I don't need a proven QB to lead my team. I just want one that isn't going to lose the game for me. The Panthers roster has a sound defense and one of the best running games in the league. Steve Smith is the type of receiving talent that can make an average QB look good. The Panthers don't need a gunslinger. The Panthers don't even need a pro bowler. They just need a game manager. A guy who is going to make safe passes and who can hit the big play 4-5 times a game. Everything else will take care of itself.

There was only ONE way the Panthers lose that game last night, and it happened.

Yes he is capable but the Panthers dont have the Ravens defense. Most teams dont

the team thats D is close to theirs is Pitt, funny how they are playing each other.

LOL... chew it over with a Twix.. and then get your butt on a Southwest Airlines 49$ fare to New Zealand... LOL

IMHO firing Fox is not the answer.

Your team is still good and should be next season. I would pursue

a FA QB. Maybe Cassel who did a great job this year and would

utilize Smith better than that turnover machine Dellome (like Jake Plummer

must be Jakes throw lots of picks yikes)

at least your going to most likely be good in 09, my broncos have an

expansion like defense and a new coaching staff (which i support)

and expect a mediore year at best next year. 2010 is what I am

shooting for for the playoffs now :ph34r:

Tag and trade him for a pick and bring in someone who actually wants to be here.

With the chances slim to none that Peppers is coming back, top priority has to be re-signing Gross.

How much potential is left after you've reached the Pro Bowl? I hope we can trade him instead of letting him go as a FA, I would be willing to accept a deal that isn't that fair as well because getting something for him is better than nothing.

I just can't believe that... let him go; don't even try to keep him. I used to love Peppers, but all my respect for him is gone now.

How much potential is left after you've reached the Pro Bowl? I hope we can trade him instead of letting him go as a FA, I would be willing to accept a deal that isn't that fair as well because getting something for him is better than nothing.

He's an unrestricted free agent and the only way we can keep him for one year is to put the"franchise" tag on him and that will cost around 16 million to do that. Is the team willing to do that? What do you think his mentality will be then??? I think the team is screwed and will get nothing in return.....

He's an unrestricted free agent and the only way we can keep him for one year is to put the"franchise" tag on him and that will cost around 16 million to do that. Is the team willing to do that? What do you think his mentality will be then??? I think the team is screwed and will get nothing in return.....

That's why you put the tag on him and buy yourself more time to find a trading partner before the draft.

And the DB coach Time Lewis.

With the obvious exception of QB and needing to sign Gross, I think the offense is fine and defense should be reshaped, staff and players. We've lost all of our defensive coaches, perfect time to rebuild and get a new staff. Ken Lucas' cap hit will be about $10 mil this year, something needs to be done with him, if we could get a draft pick for him that'd be great, the draft class is very deep at CB this year. KC got a 1st and two 3rd's for Allen, if we could get something like that for Peppers, that'd be great. I would say drafting a defensive lineman would be the best thing to do, preferably a DT. Johnson and Brayton would be fine, but we would need to get a new DT if we were to start them. The linebackers are good, Beason and Davis are good and hopefully Connor will compete with Diggs for his spot. This should be a fun offseason.

I would love to see John Fox come back. He isn't the problem. We need a QB who can have some future potential at the very least, because even if Delhomme comes back next year and we win the Superbowl, where do we go after that? Even if Delhomme had done well he wouldn't have been around much longer anyway. But based on the fact that he was awful every 5 or so games, we need someone who is at least consistent, but I don't think we're in the position to get anyone this offseason. I say we bring back Jake, retool our D and then go after it again next year. Then we focus on a new QB in the next few years. If we could've had a decent Defense at the end of the season then we wouldn't have been talking about Jake's bad play costing the Panthers.

Also I say we let Peppers go. I know he had a career year and saying that he can't reach his full potential here is an absolute lie, but I don't think that he ever tried that hard against the best teams. Most of his numbers were put up against the lower tier teams. If we could've had someone with the physical attributes of Peppers and the attitude of someone like Ray Lewis or Jon Beason then that player would kick everyone else's *edit*, but Peppers was really never giving it all every single down and that always irritated me. I say we let him go get his few more millions, nab some picks out of it, and then retool some areas of our defense.

I would love to see John Fox come back. He isn't the problem. We need a QB who can have some future potential at the very least, because even if Delhomme comes back next year and we win the Superbowl, where do we go after that? Even if Delhomme had done well he wouldn't have been around much longer anyway. But based on the fact that he was awful every 5 or so games, we need someone who is at least consistent, but I don't think we're in the position to get anyone this offseason. I say we bring back Jake, retool our D and then go after it again next year. Then we focus on a new QB in the next few years. If we could've had a decent Defense at the end of the season then we wouldn't have been talking about Jake's bad play costing the Panthers.

Also I say we let Peppers go. I know he had a career year and saying that he can't reach his full potential here is an absolute lie, but I don't think that he ever tried that hard against the best teams. Most of his numbers were put up against the lower tier teams. If we could've had someone with the physical attributes of Peppers and the attitude of someone like Ray Lewis or Jon Beason then that player would kick everyone else's *edit*, but Peppers was really never giving it all every single down and that always irritated me. I say we let him go get his few more millions, nab some picks out of it, and then retool some areas of our defense.

I agree with you on Peppers, I don't want someone who doesn't want to be here and won't give 100%. If we got what KC did for Allen I would be happy. The draft is deep at CB, so two, possibly three, 3rd rounders would be very valuable. This is a great time to rebuild the defense, new staff and everything.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=267804&amp...os=topStory_nfl

PANTHERS SIGN GROSS TO DEAL, FRANCHISE PEPPERS

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Carolina Panthers placed the franchise tag on defensive end Julius Peppers on Thursday, setting up a potential battle with the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end who wants to play elsewhere next season.

The move came moments after the Panthers signed All-Pro left tackle Jordan Gross to a six-year deal. Having locked up Gross, the Panthers placed the restrictive tag on Peppers, who had said he would request a trade under that scenario.

Terms of Gross's deal were not immediately available, but he's expected to become one of the NFL's highest-paid offensive lineman. The agreement Thursday ends more than a year of negotiations and removes a big obstacle in their efforts to deal with Peppers.

http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=267804&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nfl' target="_blank">http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/story/?id=267804&amp...os=topStory_nfl[/post]

PANTHERS SIGN GROSS TO DEAL, FRANCHISE PEPPERS

CHARLOTTE, N.C. - The Carolina Panthers placed the franchise tag on defensive end Julius Peppers on Thursday, setting up a potential battle with the four-time Pro Bowl defensive end who wants to play elsewhere next season.

The move came moments after the Panthers signed All-Pro left tackle Jordan Gross to a six-year deal. Having locked up Gross, the Panthers placed the restrictive tag on Peppers, who had said he would request a trade under that scenario.

Terms of Gross's deal were not immediately available, but he's expected to become one of the NFL's highest-paid offensive lineman. The agreement Thursday ends more than a year of negotiations and removes a big obstacle in their efforts to deal with Peppers.

What a huge waste of 17 million dollars... *sigh*... I know they all scream you can't just let him walk away with nothing in return.. but if he doesnt want to play for us, he's not going to.. so either you have to trade him or pay him to sit on the bench through endless arbitration.... we wont get anything near his worth in return... probably a couple draft picks and that's it...

I love the Gross signing and I love franchising Peppers. I don't think he'll play for us next year regardless and as good as he is, he should be better. Out of his 12 + sacks this year I think about 6 or so of them were in 2 or 3 games against the bottom feeders in the league. It isn't that he isn't used correctly in this system, but he takes plays off. He doesn't have near the tenacity of Ray Lewis or Jon Beason for that matter who is going to do more than just play hard every now and then. If you've watched him most of his career then you know that he isn't worth 17 million, but the rest of the NFL probably does. Trade him for some great players or some 1st/2nd round picks and revamp the hell out of this defense. Then this also frees up the Panthers to get into the FA market.

Great day for the panthers, I was very worried Hurney would screw this up, but he came through. Gross is well worth the money and that solidifies a great OL, as long as everyone stays healthy, that is a wicked lineup.

Eric, they aren't taggin Peppers to get him to stay, but rather have him under a contract so he can be traded. And what makes you think we won't get back what he's worth? This is very similar to Jarred Allen last, except Peppers is better. If we got the return KC did, I would be more than happy. The draft is very deep with DB that can be steals in the middle rounds, 3 third round picks would be very valuable. Guys like Smith, Wharton, Godfrey, Connor and Johnson were all in the 3rd round.

My hope is we trade him to the Broncos, for a 1st and two 3rds. This way get him out of the NFC and to a team that runs the 3-4 Pep wants. They have the 12th pick which is just where Mel Kiper projects the player that I want the Panthers to draft to go. DT B.J. Raji out of BC. Him and Kemo would be amazing together, we can then draft a DE in the 3rd round and have him compete with Johnson and Brayton, or even look towards free agency.

What a huge waste of 17 million dollars... *sigh*... I know they all scream you can't just let him walk away with nothing in return.. but if he doesnt want to play for us, he's not going to.. so either you have to trade him or pay him to sit on the bench through endless arbitration.... we wont get anything near his worth in return... probably a couple draft picks and that's it...

I would have to say this is a "you are not bigger than the organization" move. Then he comes out and says there are only 4 teams he will accept a trade to...What?

Can players even do that?....I know I've seen situations like NY and San Diego a few years ago with Rivers and The Giants QB. Those guys were not even signed so I am sure you have some leverage there if you completely hate the team/city you get drafted to.

Do NFL players have that much say?

With all that said I would take him in Cleveland...He can play linebacker if he wants to.

Great day for the panthers, I was very worried Hurney would screw this up, but he came through. Gross is well worth the money and that solidifies a great OL, as long as everyone stays healthy, that is a wicked lineup.

Eric, they aren't taggin Peppers to get him to stay, but rather have him under a contract so he can be traded. And what makes you think we won't get back what he's worth? This is very similar to Jarred Allen last, except Peppers is better. If we got the return KC did, I would be more than happy. The draft is very deep with DB that can be steals in the middle rounds, 3 third round picks would be very valuable. Guys like Smith, Wharton, Godfrey, Connor and Johnson were all in the 3rd round.

My hope is we trade him to the Broncos, for a 1st and two 3rds. This way get him out of the NFC and to a team that runs the 3-4 Pep wants. They have the 12th pick which is just where Mel Kiper projects the player that I want the Panthers to draft to go. DT B.J. Raji out of BC. Him and Kemo would be amazing together, we can then draft a DE in the 3rd round and have him compete with Johnson and Brayton, or even look towards free agency.

I understand they are trying to trade him.. I agree with that, especially if he is not willing to commit to the panthers... what I meant, was since he's so good I doubt we would get someone that good to replace him.. like you mentioned it will probably be a multi-player deal or a multi draft pick deal which yes, is surely worth the cash value but is it worth giving up Peppers? (of course since he refuses to play for us, he is worthless.. so take from that what you will... LOL)

If they do get 2 to 3 draft picks for him I suppose that will be worth it, as long as they use it for depth on both the O and D lines. besides quarterback i think thats where we need the most depth. Too many lineman injuries with no one to replace them...

I would have to say this is a "you are not bigger than the organization" move. Then he comes out and says there are only 4 teams he will accept a trade to...What?

Can players even do that?....I know I've seen situations like NY and San Diego a few years ago with Rivers and The Giants QB. Those guys were not even signed so I am sure you have some leverage there if you completely hate the team/city you get drafted to.

Do NFL players have that much say?

With all that said I would take him in Cleveland...He can play linebacker if he wants to.

Guy can have contract clauses.. similar to a "no move" or "no trade" that limit their trading options to a certain set of teams, or a certain division/conference etc... whether Peppers had that clause or not who knows.. and if he's off his original contract now and only on the franchise 1 year deal it would matter anyway I wouldnt think.

Yeah I love franchising tagging and eventually trading Peppers. It enables us to get a lot of picks in this year's and maybe next year's draft to revamp the D and maybe get us into the FA market as well.

And yes, Gross is definitely worth the money. Love the move.