The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

You think we're still gonna be run heavy? I would assume so with Williams and Stewart back, but I'm not sure how solid our Oline is.. same as last year?

I've been too busy job searching to pay much attention to football, but my fantasy team drafted yesterday so I know it's getting close!

Peppers better kick some major tail this year to be worth 17 million.

You think we're still gonna be run heavy? I would assume so with Williams and Stewart back, but I'm not sure how solid our Oline is.. same as last year?

I've been too busy job searching to pay much attention to football, but my fantasy team drafted yesterday so I know it's getting close!

The starting 5 of the O-line look great, Gross, Otah, Vincent, Wharton and Kalil, but there isn't as much depth as last year. Bridges and Hangartner are both gone, and with injuries sure to happen, I don't think any of the backups have NFL experience. If the O-line can stay healthy, they'll be fine.

Yeah, expect our trademark Smash-Mouth Carolina Football - which I wouldn't have any other way! I think we have a solid team in the Panthers, with most of the guys from last year still in place (except for a few O-linemen that Ryan pointed out... which are some tough losses).

I'm eager to see how Brown does on the opposite end of the DLine from Peppers (who is going to have a contract season). It is a real shame that Kemo's gigantic body wont be there to help the run-stop defense. He is really effective when healthy. Lets just hope Beason heals up fine (reported minor ankle injury), and no one else sufferes any injuries.

I saw a power ranking on another site that had the Panthers ranked #1 @ the running game ;)

I saw a power ranking on another site that had the Panthers ranked #1 @ the running game ;)

The only real competition would be Tennessee, and Williams and Stewart outperformed Johnson and White last year.

Though, I'd still trade either of ours for Johnson given the chance.

I'm going to try to make it to a game or two this year.... I love Charlotte and haven't been to a game in a couple of years (I used to go to @ least 1 game every year)

You better hope so with you know who back for another go round under center.

Hey that's fine.. Delhomme flourishes under that system. He may not put up 6000 yards, but he is a genius at game/clock management. Just enough passes to move the chains and shove it down their throats... works for me. Eli and Brady and Cassel can stay where they are.. we don't need them.

Can't believe it's August already.. first football, then we're back in hockey season. Right around the corner!

Yeah, he really managed that game well against the Cardinals <_<

They knew the Panther's signals, plus at least two of those picks were off the reciever's hands.

I can't wait for this season to start, so people will stop using that one game as a measuring stick for Delhomme's ability. People seem to forget his spectacular games and only bring up his bad ones. He IS a gambler... just like that Brett Favre guy everyone keeps talking about. Is he going to dazzle and wow us with a Dan Marino-like aerial attack? No. But he IS going to fight and claw for everything he can get, hit Smitty in stride with bombs from a surgically rebuilt elbow and continue being the ferocious pumping heart of the Carolina franchise. He is the leader of the team, and that not something that is easily replaced. Just look at how the Panthers play when Jake is NOT in the game... look at 2006.

Good news for Panthers fans as today was the first day of training camp.

Unfortunately, there is terrible news: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4375204' target="_blank"> Maake Kemoeatu tore his achilles tendon today, leaving his season in jeopardy.[/post]

*edit*

I can't wait for this season to start, so people will stop using that one game as a measuring stick for Delhomme's ability. People seem to forget his spectacular games and only bring up his bad ones. He IS a gambler... just like that Brett Favre guy everyone keeps talking about. Is he going to dazzle and wow us with a Dan Marino-like aerial attack? No. But he IS going to fight and claw for everything he can get, hit Smitty in stride with bombs from a surgically rebuilt elbow and continue being the ferocious pumping heart of the Carolina franchise. He is the leader of the team, and that not something that is easily replaced. Just look at how the Panthers play when Jake is NOT in the game... look at 2006.

Amen Brother

I'm 100% behind Jake

It's funny I was reading the first post under this thread when I created it back in 2007. I was talking about what a good pick up David Carr was for us, God how times have changed ha

Our first drive, we did really well. We ran the ball and we scored on it. Williams ran for 31-yards, Stewart scored, everything was going great. Arizona responses on their drive, then both teams punt the ball away. Then Delhomme waits too long to pass, fumbles the ball, Arizona scores after starting on our own 13.

The next drive, we get a gift of a pass interference call, gets us 13 yards away from paydirt. Interception. There goes that plan.

In the 2nd half, he threw interceptions on consecutive drives. Any chance of a comeback was promptly thwarted by Delhomme.

Arizona scored 27 of their 33 points off Delhomme turnovers. Delhomme went 17 for 34, 205 yards, with 1 TD, 5 interceptions and a fumble. Because he kept digging us deeper and deeper into a hole, we had to continue to go back to him in hopes to perform a comeback.

His one job was to manage the game, let Williams and Stewart do their thing, the thing that they had been doing to get us into the playoffs in the first place. He failed. Plain and simple.

Delhomme also almost blew the game against the Raiders if I recall. Fortunately, it was against the Raiders so we got the win anyway. He will generally have 1 or 2 completely awful games every season, he will also have a few amazing games every season, but most of his games are just him passing well enough to let Williams/Stewart control the game. That is all we need from him, just make passes when necessary and otherwise let the running game dictate our offense.

Beason was injured as well.

What did he injure and how long will he be out?

What did he injure and how long will he be out?

I heard from word of mouth - strained hamstring (tweaked from a previous injury in the offseason). But, after looking on the internet for more concrete info, I read "ankle injury" from Panthers.com... but now, as I double check my source... it is back to Hamstring "tweaking." Is that your final answer? hehe... It doesn't seem to be too serious, hopefully will just take a week or so (does that sound right everyone?). Dan Connor is completely healed and is taking Beason's place in practice, as undrafted rookie Marlon Favorite tries his best to fill Maake's gigantic shoes (figuratively).

N&O reported it was an ankle injury, but who really knows. It does seem that it's a short-term injury, but those tend to lead to longer term injuries down the line.

Favorite should do alright. Beason said he's already got some things down and just needs to focus a little more. Obviously, he's not going to replace Maake, but if he performs well enough, it won't be as big of a loss as it could be.

I'm really excited about Captain, after reading his article in the N&O. It's not easy to keep up with Smith, so to have him practicing and succeeding against him bodes well for the rookie.

Our first drive, we did really well. We ran the ball and we scored on it. Williams ran for 31-yards, Stewart scored, everything was going great. Arizona responses on their drive, then both teams punt the ball away. Then Delhomme waits too long to pass, fumbles the ball, Arizona scores after starting on our own 13.

The next drive, we get a gift of a pass interference call, gets us 13 yards away from paydirt. Interception. There goes that plan.

In the 2nd half, he threw interceptions on consecutive drives. Any chance of a comeback was promptly thwarted by Delhomme.

Arizona scored 27 of their 33 points off Delhomme turnovers. Delhomme went 17 for 34, 205 yards, with 1 TD, 5 interceptions and a fumble. Because he kept digging us deeper and deeper into a hole, we had to continue to go back to him in hopes to perform a comeback.

His one job was to manage the game, let Williams and Stewart do their thing, the thing that they had been doing to get us into the playoffs in the first place. He failed. Plain and simple.

There's no debating the fact that Delhomme had a terrible game. He was solid enough to manage the team to the playoffs, but had an awful game. I would be more concerned about the situation if he was doing this all year long, and not this one game. With Peppers pushing us basically to the cap number, there's no other option for the team other than going back to Delhomme. You could try Moore, who I think can be a good QB, but I would feel more comfortable with Delhomme at this point.

Yeah, he had a really bad game. If I were coaching, that wouldn't have happened for two reasons: 1) they gave up on running the ball after the first drive... why? I understand giving up the running game when you are down by a lot in the 3rd or 4th, but why in the first? 2) after realizing that they knew the signals and could determine exactly what the recievers were doing, I would have used the Wildcat that worked so well against Atlanta or basically gone to a 2 minute drill/no huddle offense for the rest of the game for passes AND focused on getting as many handoffs to DoubleTrouble as humanly possible - since we agree that they did well running against that defense.

I am not a pro-football coach, obviously... and there was probably a reason to do what they did, but I sure as heck can't figure it out. That being said, I still can't put the entire weight of blame on Delhomme. It looked to me like no one did their job in that game (especially the coaching staff, for not fixing the problem). I just don't get the play calling sometimes.

I never said replace him, I'm just not happy to have him around. It's easy to say that it's only one game, but that was quite possibly the worst time to have a bad game. And to know that he can perform THAT poorly in such an important game, it doesn't do a lot to inspire confidence in him.

Like I said, as long as he doesn't lose the game for us, I'm fine with him. I've got enough faith in our running game that I can ignore having Delhomme back there. But as soon as he starts bearing any sort of responsibility (his pass attempts suddenly jumping from the low 20s to 34, for instance), I'm worried about the outcome of the game.

^ Couldn't have said it better :) Everybody is still upset about his performance in the playoff game last year but everybody forgets we were 12-4 in the regular season along with PIT, NYG, IND.... that is a stellar season ;) With that said he did have an off day @ the worst time of the season.... IMO 'he's been clutch' for us a lot more than 'he's been off'

^ Couldn't have said it better :) Everybody is still upset about his performance in the playoff game last year but everybody forgets we were 12-4 in the regular season along with PIT, NYG, IND.... that is a stellar season ;) With that said he did have an off day @ the worst time of the season.... IMO 'he's been clutch' for us a lot more than 'he's been off'

In 2003 he took us to the Super Bowl, a SB that we only lost because of a last second 50 yard field goal.

In 2005 he took us to the NFC championship where we lost to the Seahawks. (Shut out the Giants 23-0 and defeating Chicago 29-21)

In 2007 we missed the playoffs because Jake was out with the elbow injury. (2-1 when he went out, finished 7-9)

Last year, despite the horrific loss in the first game, he took us to the playoffs once again.

Yes he has an occasional brain fart, and he always places the blame solely on himself, but he has a pretty good track record.

Is he the best QB in the league? No.. of course not.. but there are plenty out there that are worse. Plus we can't pay Eli Manning-type 97 million dollars, so we won't ever have a superstar QB (unless we draft a first rounder and build him up ourselves) so I'd say we haven't done bad with Jake.

In 2006 and 2007 injuries to Jake have cost us games and playoff chances, demonstrating that the team needs a good backup QB.. I'm still not sure we have one yet. Hopefully Josh McCown can step up, but lets hope he doesn't have too.

^ All of that... ESPECIALLY the third thing you said. I remind all the Jake-haters of that fact almost as much as I remind them of the 2003 season. You want proof that Jake is an important part of our team? There it is.

^ All of that... ESPECIALLY the third thing you said. I remind all the Jake-haters of that fact almost as much as I remind them of the 2003 season. You want proof that Jake is an important part of our team? There it is.

Its pretty rare a State person and UNC person can agree.. but if we can on anything its the two Carolina's that are for both of us.. the Panthers and the Canes!

I've looked at our preseason schedule and it is BRUTAL... not that the preseason really means anything besides training and practice..

AT the Giants, AT the Dolphins, Ravens at Home and SB Champ Steelers at home. That's two pretty good offenses (Wonder if Miami will stay with the wildcat or not now that the cat's out of the bag) followed by two suffocating defenses.

Not that the regular season is any better.. We have an early bye (week 4) which means a grinding second half to try to make the playoffs.

Just to throw out a wild guess I say we have a chance to win 10 games (losses against NE(Road), Cowboys(Road), Giants(Road), Cardinals(Road), TB(Road), ATL(road)) Should have good record again at home. 10-6 wouldn't be too bad.. maybe NFC Wildcard? If we can sweep new orleans and split with TB and ATL we could have a shot at the division, but will probably have to win a road game against either TB or ATL.

Good news/Bad news...

Jon Beason was back on the field, as well as DeAngelo Williams (who hurt his toe last Friday)... BUT, here is the bad news:

SPARTANBURG, S.C. -- With a soccer-esque kick of his helmet across the end zone Monday night, Steve Smith showed his anger, and no one could blame him after he landed hard and injured his shoulder during a one-on-one drill.

X-rays on the shoulder were negative.

"You just want to wait and make sure everything is okay," General Manager Marty Hurney said on Panther Talk just after the practice. "I'm sure we'll have more information tomorrow."

Smith had left the field less than halfway through the session, being taken to the Richardson Building on the back of a cart.

I say lets cancel the rest of training camp for starters and seal them up in bubble-wrap and a case that reads "Break glass in case of Regular Season Game"