The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

So that's 7 INT and 3 lost fumbles in the last game and a half played by Jake? Pretty sure that's right.

I think it's 8 and 2.  Either way, if you can count to 10, you can count the number of Jake Delhomme turnovers in the last six plus quarters of football.

What a disgrace.  The good news is that Philly -1 has made me big money today.  :)

I thought he lost 2 fumbles that playoff game. Maybe I'm thinking of the ECU C-USA Championship game. They happened about the same time, with pretty much the same result from a QB.

Either way, he threw another 2 INT, then almost threw another one, and was removed from the game. Finally.

All I know is I had the Philly Defense on my fantasy team and did they get me some major fantasy points. It is pathetic when Fox uses 3 QB's to get through this game, considering McCown went down with an apparent knee injury.

It was like this team just gave up after the Eagles ran up 21 unanswered pts on them. Should I just start nitpicking at what we did wrong or would that take way too long or just look at the positive? Oh wait, there was no positives in this game. We plain just stunk up BoA Stadium and Fox should make these guys work on Monday instead of giving them the day off.

I agree with msgtcody, we got one franchise in this state who knows how to win and what it takes to get the right parts to win. I am glad to wear Red, White and Black of the Hurricanes because the Teal, Black and White of the Panthers is something no one should wear after that embarassing performance today.

I hear ya on the Falcons,,they looked good yesterday. I really like the team now that they are "Vickless". They are my second Team, Ryan is going to be a Pro-bowl QB for many years!

Nice to have one competent franchise in the state that you are proud to wear the colors of. Its not the panthers or bobcats.

Amen, thank God for the 'Canes. The Panthers Franchise is just a mess. Heck even when the Hornets were here (I live in Charlotte, btw) they couldn't make it past round 2. 

Already the fans here want Jake out, I don't exactly blame them, but it's not like the problems are going to instantly go away, the O-line didn't look very good yesterday either, and that is a key "ingredient".

Starting to look like it might be a long season for the Panthers frown.gif  @ ATL next and then @ DAL on Monday nite the next week....

Second hardest schedule in the whole league.  If we don't get this fixed it will be a long ugly season.  Later in the year we also have @Patriots and @Giants.  Worst road schedule ever... Going to be hard to make the playoffs this year unless things shape up.

It seems John Fox is going to stick with Jake "I throw INT" Delhomme for the game against the Falcons. Jake McCown has a sprain knee and foot, who knows if he is going to be available next week so that leave Matt Moore as the back up if McCown isn't available.

I have been a big time supporter of the Panthers but when is John Fox going to get it that Delhomme needs to find the bench for a game and let McCown or Moore run the team for a game to get it throw Jake's head you can't continue to throw the ball away.

Take the sack or throw the ball out of bound but not into the other team's hands for a turnover. That leads to points for the other team.

I've made it clear how supportive I've been of Jake over the years. I've always defended him when people have hated on him. Well, after yesterday, I can't do it anymore. Playing like that two games in row is just unacceptable. I'm very thankful to Jake for all the great years he gave us, but his best years seem to be behind him now. We've got to head in a new direction at QB. The rest of this team is in great shape... we can't afford to ruin all of that because of one player.

This is how I feel too.  We have too much talent to have Delhomme ruin the team.  I also defended him and thought he would be fine, but it's time for him to bow out now.  I like Moore, I think he would do a better job than Delhomme at this point, but for the future of the team we need to find someone else.  I don't think that'll happen this year, but that has to be a top priority going into the offseason.  Apparently we're talking with AJ Feely right now, but I'm not sure what role he'd play as Delhomme will start in Atlanta and Moore is definitely capable for the backup job. 

We (Carolina Panthers) have a tire fire at the quarterback position.  20 mil guaranteed to Delhomme who is now color blind and can't tell what jersey the players are wearing.  We also have 2 backups who aren't ready for prime time.  Did I mention the 20 million dollar guaranteed in the contract?  Just who was going to throw that kind of guaranteed money at Delhomme other than us?  Philly is apparently about to sign Jeff Garcia who I think could be an option for the Panthers.  At least he could put some pressure on  Jake and give Fox an option to yank him.  Garcia at least doesn't throw the ball away.  If we don't have a backup QB, sign one or trade for one.  Do something besides let this season (and 17 mil on Peppers) be wasted.

Did I mention the 20 mil?  Just checking.

I would love to see Fox yank Jake's butt if he throws one INT. Send Jake a message that sloppy play isn't and won't be tolerated. This team can't afford to fall behind in this division not with the likes of the Saints, Falcons and possibly the Bucs.

For a division that was supposed to be the laugh of the NFC, we are the toughest division.

Jeff WHO?

Panthers signed A.J. Feeley. That's surely the answer to all our problems. 15-1!!!

I am underwhelmed by the signing of Feeley.  He's washed out everywhere he's been.  Garcia may be older and possibly a has-been but Feeley is a never-was.  Maybe Fox didn't want Jake looking over his shoulder.

It's not even that Delhomme's been pressured and he's been throwing the ball just to get rid of it. A good portion of the time, Jake's got all day to throw it, it's typically 1st down, and he just completely misses the defense reading his eyes and waiting for that juicy INT.

His contract is going to be the Kaberle-like contract of the Panthers. Can't get rid of him, so everyone has to act like they're ok with having him back there. Except for the fans, of course, who I hope continue to boo the hell out of him everytime he screws up.

I don't see how Feeley can be any better the Delhomme.. He's good for 2 INTs a game at least.  11 games with miami in 05, 11 TDs 15 INTS... 3 games with Philly in 07, 5 TDs and 8 INTs... 8 INTs in 3 games? That a mirror of Jake.

I'm not sure signing another QB who will never ever play is the way to put pressure on Jake.  I don't like this Sam I Am... not the answer to the problem.

I would not want Vick to be a starting QB anywhere, but at least he would put pressure on someone for the starting job....

You know.. this Micheal Crabtree stuff is getting out of hand. How does this young guy think he's helping himself? Is he deluded enough to think if he waits till next years draft he will go #1 overall? He's going to miss a whole year of playing time, no one wants a management problem/headache and he's gonna be competing against a whole new crop of recievers. He was the second or third WR taken this year, there could be 3 or 4 better then him next year. Plus they just said on Sportscenter he won't be able to work out for other teams since the 9ers will own his rights. There's not a GM in the league that's going to touch this guy.. no one wants another T.O. Sign the contract and play now or don't play at all.

Contract holdouts very rarely go in the players favor, and this is just ridiculous. Let me take a whole year off and then get redrafted when I'm out of shape. Hello 3rd round and 1.5 million guaranteed when you coulda had 16+. Makes no sense whatsoever.

the panthers should've signed someone that would put some pressure on delhomme to step it up.  i guess when it comes down to it, there really aren't that many quality quarterbacks out there that could possibly be signed.  i initially thought that the panthers might look at tarvaris jackson from minnesota.  i had heard that he was looking for a possible trade.  i know that he isn't pro-bowl material but at least he has the athleticism to escape pressure.

I like John Fox.. and I respect what he did for the franchise cleaning up the mess left by Capers and Seifert (Remember 1-15? Not till last years Lions did that get undone).. When they (the pregame announcers) were talking about firing Fox and bringing in Bill Cowher i was like "HECK YEAH!!!" I like Cowher for being a heck of a coach and an NC State grad, and of course what he did in Pittsburgh was legendary, and he lives here in Raleigh it would be perfect for the Panthers. Cowher is the reason I still watch the Steelers today after their superbowl runs of 2006 and cheered for them in 2009. I was one of the ones that was hoping Cowher would take over the reins at NC State after he retired in 06 after winning the superbowl. I like Tom OBrien, but compared to Amato, Cowher was a huge step up.. an NFL coach returns to his alma mater... that would have been awesome.

If Fox can get stuff together and takes us to the playoffs again maybe he stays, otherwise he could be gone. Next week at Dallas will probably be another L so 0-3 would mean most likely missing the playoffs.. especially with Atlanta and New Orleans both already 2-0.. infact our 0-2 could already be the death knell, but 0-3 will likely kill it. If we can upset the Cowboys @Dallas, and then win several more games he may save his job, but it may already be gone.. two games we could have won, two games we SHOULD have won and 2 losses. Not good.

I think the biggest indication that Fox would be gone is how quickly this once imposing defense has fallen. We are really terrible on the defensive side of the ball right now. The Peppers situation was handled terribly and we have no picks in the coming years to shore up our needs on that side of the ball. Our offense even with Delhomme is manageable, with a great QB it could be awesome, but this defense is why we faltered towards the end of last season a bit and it is the true reason behind our demise right now. I was hoping the Chargers would be the team I'd pull for this year, but they've Norv Turner'd so I don't know how that is gonna turn out.