The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Seriously... Peppers has given up.  Loved the guy for years, but he has lost it.  I said back in March that franchise tagging him was a mistake and he is living up to that blunder.  He is in cruise control and doesn't care anymore.  For god's sake trade him and at least get a couple picks for our 17 million, but I bet no one will take him.  Should have let him walk as a free agent and taken the compensatory picks.  Huge mistake by the management.

Last nights game was ugly, and Rollinsox is right.  DEFENSE. TACKLING.  What happened?? 3rd and 18 and 3rd and 11 given up on the same drive?? Only by Romo's stupidity (or the Off Cord) did that become a FG and not a TD.  The last two games have been horrible defensive performances and forced Jake to try to make quick decisions.  The second pick was 100% Steve Smith's fault.. he turned the wrong way on a timing route, Jake probably wasnt even looking, or like they said on TV he had already thrown the ball when Smith cut to the outside.  You could probably blame Moose for the first pick too, since he wasn't paying attention to the ball at all.  The sack fumble at the end was merely Jake being forced to do too much, by then the game was over anyway so it didn't matter.

We have a chance with the Skins, Bucs and Bills coming up to get back to 3-3, but it may be too little too late.  I do feel like some heads are going to roll this season.  Start with Meeks.. his new defense is AWFUL.  Why in the world change what had been working for 10 years??? No wonder people are confused on their assignments.

*Side note.. just looked at the box score... "Antonio Romo"... LOL... Nice.

I'd fire the offensive coordinator before the defensive one. The defense is a step down from last year, but it's manageable. The offense, the run game in particular, has taken a much bigger drop from last year, and with Delhomme as our QB, it's not as manageable. If we get the run game going, we can manage the clock and our defensive weaknesses won't be as pronounced. Keep our defense off the field more by running the ball.

Jake sucked? from what I watched your whole team sucked. Steve Smith not being able to beat double protection and Moose not being a big enough threat to demand more respect so they cant do that is bad. No backup QB is gonna fix that, quite possibly you would see more INT's.

No backup is gonna change your RB situation either, Williams looked like he was running into a  brick wall. 

Highlight of the Monday Night game for me was Chris Berman at halftime...did anyone see it?  He was ripping on the Seahawk's lime green jerseys from Sunday's game but then, at the end, concluded that the green reminded him of his beloved Hartford Whalers and up popped some vintage Whale action with the Brass Bonanza playing for extra effect!  Pretty cool. smile.gif

We can't lose this week! We got this one in the bag!!! *sarcasm*

Honestly.. this early bye week may be the best thing for this team.. lets hope some stuff gets fixed.

It's time for Delhomme to go.  He's a pocket passer with no mobility and obvious problems protecting the football as evidenced by his last 4 games.  Too bad we didn't go after Garcia when he was available.  Acquiring a QB should be the first priority for the off-season.

On a semi-related note, I met DeAngelo Williams this weekend at the Charlotte Race for the Cure.  What a great guy!

Garcia has been released by the Eagles, but I don't think he's the answer. Matt Moore was very impressive in preseason and yet he doesn't stand a chance. The Yahoo Depth chart lists him as second and AJ Feeley as 3rd.. what happened to McCown? He's listed as a Panther but he's not on the Roster or the Depth Chart. He's not listed as being Cut... Cantwell was cut the Sept 5th and then added to the practice squad the 6th.

Garcia has about a 2 to 1 ratio career TD to INT (which maybe good compared to Jake) something like 120 TDs and 60 INTs add to that 24 fumbles and something like 124 sacks... granted those could be pretty standard numbers for a QB with 8-9 years in the league.. his last couple years as a starter in Tampa were brutal, but that may not have been his fault.

Don't worry.. if we keep this up we'll have a top 5 draft pick and there will be plenty of QBs to choose from... after we find a new coach.

McCown broke his leg and foot after a sack earlier this season... or was it pre-season... either way, he is out for the remainder.  I believe he is on IR.  That is why the signed Feeley, to replace McCown.

After the last 3 Panthers games, there is only one thing to say... Lets Go Canes!  LOL, sorry, I'm not a fair-weather-fan, but my hopes of a repeat of last season's success have been silenced.

My season predictions: Peppers and Smith try to get out of Carolina after the season.  Beason keeps kicking butt.  More speculation on the Panthers going after the Chin.

Thanks, JB.. somehow I missed that.. now the Feeley move does make more sense.

Peppers is already gone.. and he can go.. I loved him but he obviously doesnt give a flip anymore. After a 17 million$ franchise tag season, he's gonna try to get as much as he can as a UFA, but I doubt anyone bites and I bet Carolina tells him not to let the door hit him where the good lord split him. (Or pull a Canes JR and offer him a lowball take it or retire offer).

I would hate to lose Smith.. but knowing him, he's gonna want to win a SB somewhere.. he's a straight up baller and nothing but a championship will do.

Next week we have the redskins.. 2-2 but lost to the Lions? And barely got wins against the 0-fer Rams and Bucs. I would hope we could beat them.. then the 0-4 Bucs please god let us win that game... if we're both 0-5 at that time at least someone gotta win right?!? Buffalo (1-3) and Arizona (1-2) after that. We do have a chance to win some games if we shape things up... but the end of our season is freakin brutal... Right now, our three last games (Vikes, Saints and Giants) are all 4-0. 3-1 Pats the week before that. I'm sure they won't be undefeated by then but still obviously good teams. Maybe we can hope they will have clinched play off spots and we can win against their backups.

8-8 and a wild-card possibility would be a godsend after this start.

I made a mistake, he didn't suffer a broken leg, it was a knee injury and a broken foot I think. I found this while checking my statement.

"The knee was only sprained, but his foot injury was serious."

Either way, he's out for the season - on IR.

Garcia has been released by the Eagles, but I don't think he's the answer. Matt Moore was very impressive in preseason and yet he doesn't stand a chance. The Yahoo Depth chart lists him as second and AJ Feeley as 3rd.. what happened to McCown? He's listed as a Panther but he's not on the Roster or the Depth Chart. He's not listed as being Cut... Cantwell was cut the Sept 5th and then added to the practice squad the 6th.

Garcia has about a 2 to 1 ratio career TD to INT (which maybe good compared to Jake) something like 120 TDs and 60 INTs add to that 24 fumbles and something like 124 sacks... granted those could be pretty standard numbers for a QB with 8-9 years in the league.. his last couple years as a starter in Tampa were brutal, but that may not have been his fault.

Don't worry.. if we keep this up we'll have a top 5 draft pick and there will be plenty of QBs to choose from... after we find a new coach.

JBOnline is right, hurt his knee and foot after he came in for Delhomme in Week 1.  Right now Delhomme isn't the problem, even though our qb situation remains a problem for the future (BTW, we don't have a 1st rounder next year because we traded it for situational pass rusher, Everette Brown), the defense and coaching are the two things right now.  Our secondary can't tackle anyone, and this is all a result of Chris Harris being injured.  Playing this tampa 2 defense, the hard hitting strong safety is essential.  Having him back there will do wonders for our secondary.  I'm not too concerned about the linebackers, Davis is thriving playing the weak line backer in this tampa 2, and apparently it came from him studying derrick brooks all offseason.  Beason is our defensive leader back there, and once Diggs is healthy we'll be good.  Obviously our D-Tackle depth is what's killing us, and that came from the massive franchise tag on pep handicapping us so we couldn't sign anyone.  Losing Kemo and Louis Leonard, really hurts us, hopefully Hollis Thomas can fill the Nose Tackle role, he sure has the size to (6'0" 335).  That brings us to Peppers..... 1 million dollars every sunday for 2 tackles and maybe half a sack... Apparently Beason is taking him to dinner to discuss the effort he's been showing, or lack thereof, so hopefully Pep will actually earn his salary this sunday.  It kills me seeing people like Jarred Allen go out give it his all and get 4.5 sacks when we have someone who has even more talent but doesn't put forth any effort.  My other concern is the play calling.  Why Davidson insist on throwing the ball twice as much as we run is beyond me.  I know we have to throw more later in the game because we're always behind and trying to crawl back, but we get away from the run far too early.  We have the best running backs in the league, we should be running the ball a lot more and opening up the play action and short passing game from there.  I read an article about running more this week, so we'll see how that goes.  If we can stay healthy on D, get Harris/Diggs back, have Hollis Thomas be an effect run stopper, have Peppers show a little effort and use our dangerous running backs we should come out with a win sunday.  I sure hope we do, God help us if we lose to the redskins....

We better win this week.. if not it's just pitiful. Even the NFL Live guys are predicting us to win. The reason they are picking an 0-3 team to beat a 2-2 team? Look at who the redskins have played. Loss to the Giants.. ok.. thats expected. a 2 point (9-7) win over the 0-4 Rams.. that's all you could muster? Lose to Detroit?!?! WOW... a 3 point win over 0-4 Tampa (16-13).. The only quality game they played was the 23-17 loss to the Giants. They've been stinking it up ever since, even in two wins.

Carolina has looked horrible, but we've lost to a very good Atlanta team, a halfway decent Dallas team and a good Philly team (even though we helped them a bunch).

After this week, we've got winless Tampa and then Buffalo, who I think is 1-3 (they get the 0-4 browns this week, so they could win). So we could realistically be 3-3 by week 7.. but is that enough? NO and Atl dont look to be slowing down, so being the third team from the division in the playoffs as a wildcard will be difficult. ATL is 2-1.. if we can win against them we may have a shot, but we've already lost to them once. NO 4-0 is going to win the division unless the wheels really fall off later in the season. If we make the playoffs we will have earned it because we will have to beat teams like the patriots and giants on the road to do it. Maybe Atlanta will start losing some.

What the heck is going on here? How can the ref reverse the call on the field.. which was a TD without a challenge??

So much for the refs being anonymous this week.. Insanity... There's no way we can win if the refs are screwing the pooch.

This makes no damn sense whatsoever. Washington was going to challenge the TD.. but the replay didnt show the ball. The initial call on the field was a TD and there was no evidence to overturn that and yet they STILL overturn the TD??

Oh boy.. we get a safety... 2 points.. huzzah... whoopdie flippin doo....

I'm gonna start a charity to buy the refs some Lasik surgery... and some BRAINS. Great call scarecrow!

**This is getting ridiculous... This is hard to watch.. Delhomme INT for another TD.

Wow.... what a comeback. 2 points on defense in the first half.. 18 points on offense in the second half to win it.

Well, at least we wont go 0-16, lol. Ugly, ugly game... but all is well that ends well. Even though the refs did act scetchy here and there, at least they aren't as bad as the Refs we get at Hurricanes games. Those guys have a very overactive imagination.

JB.. I probably would have broken my television if they had overturned our SECOND fumble.. So many blown calls, that one would have cost us the game.. they already took a TD from us, they were about to take another one away.

We finally found our defense.. 4 sacks (welcome to week 5 Peppers.. where ya been?) a safety, a forced fumble... Finally.

Next week 0-5 Bucs... we better win that game too. Looks like Atlanta is gonna beat the Niners, so every win counts if we want to move to second in the division. No team has ever started 0-5 and gone to the playoffs so hopefully the Bucs will pack it in? Buffalo lost to Clevland (How?!?!) so they drop to 1-4.. Hopefully we can take care of them as well. TO has been a non-issue.

Yeah, no kiddin - I got Owens in our fantacy football draft as a WR/RB extra and dropped him after two weeks.  My logic was "Well, who else does Buffalo have to give the ball to?"  The way it looked, I figured he'd get reverses and passes sent his way more than he could handle... boy was I wrong.  There was even a game in which he had no catches, ending his catch-per-game streak.  I think he was thrown to 5 times and couldn't make a catch.  That is pretty bad for what they are paying him.  Like I said, I cut him - then I grabbed Desean Jackson... that was a good move.

Brown looks like he will turn into "a poor-man's peppers" with his speed and agility.  I know he is smaller, but after a few seasons of conditioning he will provide some real pressure (see dwight freeney).  Our defense is young and has a LOT of potential, if they stay together (with youngsters like Beason, Davis, Connor, Munnerlyn, Harris, Marshall, Teal, Taylor, Brown - Harris being oldest at 27).

Another Delhomme INT - but I can't completely blame him.  He threw the ball behind Muhs, BUT Muhammad did get two hands on it... and though I am not a John Madden fan, he was right when he said "if you get two hands on it, you should make the catch."

How about that run by Delhomme?!  I thought there was no way he'd make it, but then he tried a juke and stiff-arm and got the first down!  Wow!  Great work Jake!

Yeah, we should slaughter TB... they are aweful.  I know we just got our first win, but we have played some tough teams... and TB wont be one of them.

Did you notice that Brian Billick said that the pink cleats for October was DeAngelo Williams suggestion?  That is awesome!  But on a sadder note, he also said that 3 of DeAngelo's aunts had breast cancer (and I think they all passed away?).  Very sad.

yeah that was pretty sad.. Deangelo's mom was a survivior, but 3 sisters who died from breast cancer. Unfortunately when it runs in a family like that it can be pretty devastating.

The tip drill INT wasnt really on Jake.. but so many missed throws, over throws, throwing it in the dirt.. and holding it too long and getting sacked.. he wasn't having a good first half. He really stepped it up and pulled it together in the second half. Finally got the running game going and it loosened up the Redskin D.

If we can play even halfway decent we should win our next two games at Tampa and Buffalo. Arizona won last night, improving to 2-2 but they still have their struggles. After that we have two divisional matchups with 4-0 New Orleans and 3-1 Atlanta... we have to try to win both of those games to have any hopes of even being the second place team in the division. New Orleans may already be out of reach but we have to beat Atlanta @ home. After that a small reprieve with Miami, Jets and Tampa but then the teeth of the schedule really hit @NWE, vs Minnesota, @NYG and vs New Orleans. Ouch. As of right now I only see 5 more wins on that schedule and 6-10 just isnt going to cut it. We'll have to upset some better teams to even have a shot at the playoffs.

Well the Panthers have gotten back to the running game.. which is good.. but thanks to Jonathan Stewart we are still 7-7 instead of 21-7. A fumble on the goal line, and then 2 runs for losses to force a long (and blocked) FG.. why is he even in the game? Where's Williams?

If we lose this game there is just no hope. Come on.. it's the BUCS.. 0-5.. lost 9 in a row.. Now that it's not Jake ruining the game I guess Stewart decided he better step up and kill two drives for us.

*Well I guess Stewart atoned for it.. He scores a TD to give us the lead 21-7.... And of course TB returns the kick for a TD.. great.. so now that fumble on the 2 yard line could still cost us.. not out of the woods yet Stewart.

Pick-6 by Tampa ties it 21-21... I was just about to curse Delhomme, but on the replay.. Muhammed got BOWLED over.. he was on the ground when the pick happened.. that probably should have been called back for pass interference.. i mean how can you let it go when the intended receiver is laying on the ground? Bad call there.. not Jakes fault I don't think.. Mushin got TACKLED... Horrible.