The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Guest Kickapps Team

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Way to hold on to it... got back to the running game and took the game away. Defense helps win it at the end with the sack/fumble.

Just got back from the Metallica concert in Charlotte... I did get to finish the Panthers game before I left, though. That final drive was a thing of beauty! Nice to see the Panthers eat up all the clock on the way to the endzone! Fox football wins today, due to a perfectly executed running game. I think I am going to be at the Buffalo game, so lets get 3 in a row!!

Hopefully My Down and Out Bills didn't use all their good luck frown.gifagainst the Jets last weekend!! Wide right, again (in regulation,are you kidding me) and barely won in OT. Come on Bills put a beatin on the Panthers,,,Maybe 6 to 3eek.gif final score.. Wow what a game this might be!!!laugh.gif

How is the Buffalo defense against the run?  It is very safe to say that Carolina is going to stick to their team character and run and try to control the clock... how will that fare against the Bills?  I used to be a huge Bills fan, back when the mighty Jim Kelly's K-Gun offense owned the AFC (AFC Champs 4 straight years!).  Yes, when we got the Panthers, and those Bills who I loved started retiring and moving to new teams... I kinda lost my connection with the organization.  I try to pull for them, still, but it is hard when they are never on TV around here... I think I have seen two Bills games in the last 3-4 years?!  That was an amazing game against I think Dallas last season, when the Bills made another great comeback (but failed to win the game, unfortunitly).  It was a monday-night game.

How is the Buffalo defense against the run?  It is very safe to say that Carolina is going to stick to their team character and run and try to control the clock... how will that fare against the Bills?  I used to be a huge Bills fan, back when the mighty Jim Kelly's K-Gun offense owned the AFC (AFC Champs 4 straight years!).  Yes, when we got the Panthers, and those Bills who I loved started retiring and moving to new teams... I kinda lost my connection with the organization.  I try to pull for them, still, but it is hard when they are never on TV around here... I think I have seen two Bills games in the last 3-4 years?!  That was an amazing game against I think Dallas last season, when the Bills made another great comeback (but failed to win the game, unfortunitly).  It was a monday-night game.
Right now the team really isn't playing well in any aspect of the game,unfortunetly. They just got their middle linebacker back so that will help againt the run. Neither offense is playing very well this year but at least the Panthers have a vet QB and alot of it depends on if Jake is Hot or cold. The Bills QB is hurt again and the 2nd stringer doesn't have much exp. So may not be much of a game and then again it may come down to a field goal at the end( which isn't good for the Bills)

I know what you mean about not seeing them much,they are the only team From Home that i really still pull for, I have converted to the Canes from the Sabres (still my 2nd NHL team).

I was just thinking last night, after reading an article about how TO is done and no one would want to pick him up as a free agent and he's more trouble then he's worth etc etc... It would be just our luck he has his first monster game of the year against us going for like 100 yds and 2 TDs... I hope that doesn't happen, but that's just the way this year has gone for us so far. "Oh we can beat these guys.. they havent won a game yet this year... oh.. well they just did..."

Hopefully things will pick up for the Panthers, but it's starting to look like it may be too late. 3-3 with the teeth of our schedule yet to come? Granted, we are capable of pulling the upsets.. we've done it before when people overlook us. But @NWE and @Giants will not be easy. It's also killing us that New Orleans is 5-0 and Atlanta is 4-1 or 4-2.. Even if we start winning, we will still be 3rd in the division and unlikely to pick up a wildcard. New Orleans is not gonna lose, so we have to pull for Atlanta to stumble, and win our second head to head match up.. we already lost to them on the road, we must beat them at home. Our run to the playoffs last year was impressive, and they rewarded us with the second hardest schedule in the league... thanks NFL.. lol...

So, after checking out the official stats at NFL.com, the matchup looks like this:

Carolina has the number 2 defense in the league against the pass - so Owens doesn't seem like he will be much of a threat - in regards to him making a splash for the first time this season (also taking in the fact what DJHarley said about them playing their back-up QB, Fitzpatrick).  On the flip side, Buffalo is 4th at stopping the pass, and considering Jake's inability to find Smitty this season, that is not very reassuring.  Like I said before, it is obvious that the running game will decide the victor in Charlotte this weekend.  The Bills are 32nd against the run, while Carolina is 8th in rushing (offense).  And Carolina lives and dies off the running game.  Stewie and DWillie have been on a tear in the last couple of games, so on paper it is highly possible to see the Cardiac Cats get win number 3 this week... plus the fact that every regular season game I have been to, Carolina has won... and I will be there Sunday.

We're gonna see some good ole fashioned smash-mouth football.  And I can't wait!

PS - if this means anything (which to me it doesn't mean much) all three analysts on NFLNetwork's "NFC Playbook" preview show picked the Panthers to win.

Sound's like your right.. the Fantasy experts are telling D Williams owners to start him because he should have a field day against Buffalo's spotty run defense.

So far things are working out pretty good (as good as it can for an 0-3 start).. I figured we could win the next 3 and get to 3-3, and so far we've won the first two. We are still gonna be hard pressed to keep up with the likes of New Orleans and Atlanta but who knows. We could get both wildcards out of the NFC South. There are plenty of other teams out there stinking it up.. It is definitely a season of Haves and Have-Nots.

The top 4 teams in the NFC right now are the Giants 5-1, Vike 6-0, Saints 5-0 and Falcons 4-1. Then you've got 6 teams tied at 3-2, The Eagles, Cowboys, Bears, Packers, 49ers and Cardinals. Carolina is at 2-3 looking to improve to 3-3, and you got two teams at 2-4 the Redskins and the Seahawks and of course the 1-5 Lions, 0-6 Bucs and 0-6 Rams who are out of playoff contention. If Carolina can win to move to 3-3, and some of the 3-2 teams lose to drop to 3-3 we are right in the mix.

The Bills are 32nd against the run, while Carolina is 8th in rushing (offense).
Total Yards:

Carolina: 425

Buffalo: 167

So the Panthers lost this game... how?

Rushing attempts: 25 (avg. per carry: 4.6)

Passing Attempts: 44

If you're averaging nearly FIVE YARDS A CARRY, why are we throwing the ball 44 times??  Jake threw THREE more picks today, tying him for the league lead with Mark Sanchez, whom Delhomme's season statline mirrors closely.  Fantastic... you gave 35 million to a guy putting up rookie production.

Everybody in charge should be canned.

I agree THM. If John Fox gives another "I trust Jake, he is my quarterback speech" he should be fired, along with the offensive coordinator or whoever the heck called all those passing plays.

4 TDs in 6 games = 0.667 TDs/Game

13 INTs in 6 Games = 2.166 INTs per game. He wasnt happy with his 2 per game average (10 in 5 games) so tonight he went for 3.

Leading the LEAGUE with 80+ points off turnovers taking that record away from the 0-6 TITANS. And somehow we've actually won two games?!?!

Take away 14 points from INTs in the first half, and run the ball so Kasey can try some shorter field goals and its 8-3 at halftime, add in our one TD (which was a rushing TD) and it's 15-3. No reason whatsoever we should have lost this game. He's lucky as heck that Jarret made that catch on the 4th and 4.. who calls a 25 yard pass on 4th and 4 when you have the two best RBs in the league? I know Smith is upset to not be involved but Williams and Stewart should be the ones who are miffed. At least Smith has balls coming his way, but Jake is throwing them into the stands. Muhammed can climb the ladder, but he's been getting hit in the mouth too much.. Smith is not that tall.

Two Words: MATT MOORE. That is all...

halfway watching the Bills/Panthers game...looks like the stadium is half-empty

Two Jack Delhomme INTs and a 14-2 halftime score for a team we should be whooping the blank out of will do that to a stadium.  You could see the mass exodus after he threw the third one. 

Heck, TO had like what? 2 catchs? and they didnt even NEED HIM.

I think this about does it for the Fox/Hurney/Jake era, time to start Matt Moore. 

We're going to need a lot of new coaches this off season, a new GM and a new QB. Not an easy thing to acquire with no 1st round pick. We need to find a new GM, find a new Coach and hopefully a new offensive coordinator. I know hindsight is 20/20, but giving Davidson the OC job over Mike McCoy was a terrible mistake. Look what McCoy has done in Denver with Orton and their offense. 

It's going to get worse before it gets better i'm afraid.

The horrible extension they signed Jake to is going to hamper the rebuilding.  All that guaranteed money will count against the cap.  If they release him, it will all come on that year.  I said it before and I'll say it again, who other than the Panthers were going to give Jake that kind of money?  If the market didn't bear that price, why did the Panthers pay it?

All i can say is that i am glad the Bills won and i finally get to wear my new Bills Throwback Jersey to Work today (@UNC). No Bills stuff gets to be worn very often(kindof like my Canes stuff this year).Wow we are on a huge win streak,, 2 in a row!!!LETS GO BUFFALO!!!laugh.gif

The horrible extension they signed Jake to is going to hamper the rebuilding.  All that guaranteed money will count against the cap.  If they release him, it will all come on that year.  I said it before and I'll say it again, who other than the Panthers were going to give Jake that kind of money?  If the market didn't bear that price, why did the Panthers pay it?

Because it saved money for this season so we could just barely slide under the cap with Peppers franchise taking up 17 million of it.  For the short term it was a good deal, but for the long term....not at all.  Fox and Hurney know they won't be here that much longer so they'll do whatever they can to help themselves right now.   That's why we didn't see Peppers traded and instead we traded picks for players.  

Well, Shanahan, Cowher, and several other proven winners are available for the right price.

I'd love to have the Chin coaching our team... but I don't feel very confident that he wants to come back.  Jon Gruden has said that he wants to get back to coaching - and he loves the Panthers.  In fact, he brags about Williams, Stewart, Peppers and Smith at every chance he gets on camera (MNF), and why not, they play his style and have been successful with it for many seasons.  I have kinda changed my opinion of him since he started his TV career, he seems pretty cool when he isn't trying to beat your favorite team.  I mostly hated how obsessed the media and commentators were with getting his facial reactions on camera.  That got annoying fast.

I have resisted from posting my experience from the Buffalo game up to this point... and I still don't have the words for how disappointed and down-right angry I am about the loss.  However, one thing I do have the words for is the Bills fans in attendance - most of those words would be filtered out, but here are a couple that are safe: obnoxious, rude, drunk, annoying, classless, unsportsman-like.  It seemed like 1/3 of the people there were Buffalo transplants, screaming obscenities and splashing beer all over the place.  And it was impossible to get away from the chanting of "Let's Go Buffalo" nonstop, from our seats to my car... so annoying.  OK, Buffalo beat a 2-3 record team because of 2 missed field goals, 3 INTs and a muffed punt (turnovers lead to 17 of their 20 points), congratulations... they look super bowl bound.  Well, I guess I can't blame them too much for getting excited... they haven't had a winning season for how long now?

Oh, and the "Lets Go Sabers" chant that constantly broke out was kinda sad... I guess excessive consumption of alcohol does tend to make you forget where you are, sometimes.

No offense intended, DJHarley, I'm glad you get to brag about your team at work.  Not sarcasm.  I'm just mad that I let a bunch of alcoholic jerks ruin a perfectly bad football game.  Rant over.

Finally the Panthers defense got off the bus. A sack/fumble and an INT-TD for Peppers... About time he showed up.

90 yds, 1TD 0 INT is exactly what we need from Jake when Deangelo rushes for 100+ yards.

FA: The Panther/Cards was a much more entertaining game then Farve embarrassing the Packers for the second time this season. of course it helped that the Panthers won.