The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Wow, our defense is nothing short of amazing!  Our offense is... well, whatever the opposite of amazing is.

I know this is still preseason, but we lead the league in sacks and this is after "losing" Peppers to greener pastures.  Well, I think it's obvious that we don't need him.  Too bad we didn't get something for him a year or two ago.

I am disappointed in the passing game... I doubt Moore has a lot of time left in the starting spot.  Give me Clausen.  But to be honest, Jake Delhomme is doing really really well in Cleveland, which makes me wonder what our passing game would be like had he not been cut.  I know this might seem like a hindsight comment, but I thought it was a mistake to cut him when/like we did when Clausen is at least a season away from his potential... and putting the franchise in the hands of Tony Romo's backup never seemed logical.  My brother and I briefly discussed that issue yesterday and he said that Jake might not have been this good had he not gotten a change of scenery... that may be true.  But we'll never know.

Special teams look great on one play and then horrible the next.  One thing is for sure, Jason Baker is on fire so far.  It's hard to get too excited about how great a team's punter is, but when it's needed it sure is a big help pinning a team deep.  Baker had a 76 yarder against the Titans!

Our defense is very very impressive! In fact, we have the statistically best defense in the league right now, and 19 sacks in four games! I am really excited about that (especially considering I drafted the Panthers defense in my fantasy football league with my 7th pick). But as good as our defense is, that's how bad our offense has been so far in the preseason. I know we didn't have both starting RBs on the field in any one game or Smitty running routes, but the o-line seemed shaky at times and had a lot of penalties (possibly due to the new official positions and the 8th official experiment). Moore has looked bad... like he has no chemistry with the wideouts. Clausen looks determined but also not completely on the same page (at least he's a rookie and that's to be expected). I think Jimmy will have the starting QB job before the season is over... maybe even before the bye-week.

Will we ever have another successful kick/punt returner?

Who impressed you the most in the preseason? My answer is the defensive line, Charles Johnson especially.

Edited by jb_online

Will we ever have another successful quarterback?

edited for my own thought.

Who impressed you the most in the preseason? My answer is the defensive line, Charles Johnson especially.

I agree with what you have observed with the panthers. Matt has got until the bye week to impress, and it will be the backups turn I think. We have a few all-stars on D if they stay healthy, and we will need every bit of it to win. And Kasey, you think when he retires there will be a giant golden statue of him dt Charlotte, about the only consistent thing about the panthers since season 1.

I really hope the offense will be better when they get all their weapons back, Smith out, Stewart out, Williams playing only 1 to 2 series per preseason game. That will take a lot of pressure off Moore. They tried to run the "smoke" route several times with Jarret and he didn't do much with it, whereas Smith will have more success, that's HIS route. Kenneth Moore got cut, so the depth chart now is Smith, Jarrett and LaFell. Sutton is a good 3rd/4th string RB and kick returner. I hope they have patience with Edwards, he's obviously struggling switching from QB to WR/KR but with some experience he should get better. At least he didn't get cut.

I wasn't too excited about opening the season in the new Meadowlands, but the Giants have looked horrible this preseason and if we can keep our defense going we have a shot to win that one.

We could have a tough go of it to start off with Giants, Bucs, Cincy, Saints. We could go 1-3 in that stretch with only beating the Bucs, but I hope they don't start panicking and making too many changes. The schedule gets a little easier, and with our defense we could win several games that it originally looks like we won't.

The participation in this thread has declined greatly... can't say I blame you all, though. :(

Never quit on our Panthers, though... we got through 1-15, so we will surely get through this.

The loss to the Bucs stings, and the loss to the Giants is a game we probably should have won, but I didn't expect us too. I don't know how we fare against the Bengals since they don't seem to be as good as the hype machine would have us believe. I haven't pulled the pin on the handgrenade quite yet, and I'm afraid the trigger pull on the QB switch is too soon. I expected us to stumble out of the gate with a tough beginning of the schedule that then gets easier after the early BYE. The whole league has stumbled out of the gate.. there's a lot of 1-1 teams out there. If we can beat Cincy and join a whole flock of teams at 1-2 we can start the climb out. With teams like Dallas and Minnesota getting off to equal 0-2 starts (and probably harder schedules) who's to say Carolina can't still fight for a wild card at the end of the season?

I haven't given up hope yet.. it's a long season and so far it's been off to an unusual start.

I'm afraid Ochocinco and T.O. are going to burn our young secondary on Sunday... so I'm not too big on our chances of winning. :(

I'm afraid Ochocinco and T.O. are going to burn our young secondary on Sunday... so I'm not too big on our chances of winning. :(

Yeah, hopefully they won't decide to have a breakout game at our expense. They haven't exactly been lighting it up so far. Ocho is doing good at over 100 yards a game, but only 2 TDs.. TO at 100 yards in 2 games and 0 TDs.

I still don't like the Clausen switch. It's a hell of a catch-22. He has plenty of talent and intelligence (he throws the ball away and doesn't take sacks or INTs) but he's inexperienced. The only way to get him experience is to play him, but it's almost like they have already given up on the season. We could lose the next couple just waiting for Clausen to get things under his belt and then at 0-4, 0-5 the season is over.

I'm for the QB change - I was very disappointed in the team under Moore. He looked like Delhomme from his worst game days lately, and I am hoping that change will spark the team. Our running game needs to get going before either QB can be successful, and we can't run when we are behind by much more than a couple field goals. Moore seemed to over throw most of his passes and he forced too many toward Smith when other players were open. Hopefully Clausen will hit whoever is open and not be fixated on one guy. All those turnovers (especially in the red zone) hurt us bad. Say what you will about Delhomme, but statistically he was pretty safe in the red zone. I am content with letting Clausen get hands on training and start earning that big paycheck. He needs to get his hands dirty and after the horrible two losses so far, I am not as optimistic as my friends here in the Panthers thread.

How about Dan Connor? He's really taken control of the opportunity. I even added him to my fantasy team for last week. And I see we have Lloyd back. I thought the new kicker we had was doing well... wonder what happened there.

Our secondary is supposed to be good, perhaps only on paper. But I am not too worried about the Bangles. Of course I wasn't too worried about Tampa either and we saw what happened there...

Looks like they will be going back to Moore in a desperate attempt to win games. They picked up another wide receiver off waivers Devin Thomas from Washington, who has been used only as a kick returner and has not caught a single pass this year. He had 350 yards and 3 TDs last year, which is marginally better than Clowney's career 400 yard 1 TD showing.

After the Bears game I wonder if the main problem isn't the offensive line. We have failed to establish the run with two premier running backs and both QBs are having to run for their lives? Between the two QBs the line has given up 17 sacks in 5 games. That's over 3 a game. Boy do we miss Jeff Otah.

Man is this gotten ugly. New Orleans is struggling, which we needed to happen but TB and Atlanta are playing surprisingly well. While probably not mathematically our of it (since the 0-5 Niners are talking about still making the playoffs) I think our odds of making a miracle comeback are very very slim.

I do see us at least winning a few games, with games against the Niners and Rams following the bye, as well as later contests with the Browns and Seahawks, but 4-12 will be a stretch. If San Fran loses to Oakland and goes 0-6 than at least one of those two teams will be guaranteed their first win (unless it ends in an Eagles tie!).

So much for my 10-6 season I saw for us. Oy vey...

The Panthers have a game with "open date" this weekend, "open date" will probably win.

Don't worry, we will get at least 2 field goals :D

Carolina Panthers Locker Room - Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here.....

Ok, so it isn't quite that bad.... We got a win! It may be against a pitiful Niner's team, but a win is a win. I'm very happy to hear Fox admit throwing Clausen to the wolves was a mistake. I didn't like the switch and I'm glad Moore is back in. Let Clausen be the quarterback of the future.. in the future.

What an odd week in the NFL. It really looked like for a while that Carolina was going to win while NO, ATL and TB all lost. ATL and TB manage to both squeak out 1 point wins, while NO gets thrashed. The good news is NO got thumped. The bad news is in a couple weeks we have to face that same Browns team who suddenly doesn't look like a pushover anymore. (and in two weeks face a very mad Saints team) If the Panthers can turn it around they may still have a chance to make hay this season. 4-3 is a division leader in the North and everyone else is 5-2 (or 4-2 for Seattle) 4-3 (Chicago tie with Green Bay and Atlanta) are wild cards. No one is running away with the Conference. Dallas is toast. Minnesota is toast. Carolina still has a favorable schedule with games upcoming against Seattle, St Louis, Cleveland and Arizona. I looked at our first 4 games as going 1-3 and still thought we could win 10. We aren't too bad off other than games we should have won (and may have with Moore at the helm) against NO and Chicago and we could easily be 3-3 right now. 10-6 is a stretch with only 1 loss left to give, but 9-7 is very doable, and who knows.. this year in the NFC 9-7 could make the playoffs.

I just heard that Matt Moore is out for the remainder, so I guess we wont be going to the playoffs... (:shifty: sarcasm alert).

About Foxy... I suspect that Hurney cut the veterans on the team (conspiracy alert) to free up money to be used on a new play-maker or a new coach (who might be considered expensive... initials are BC...). As a side effect of no player leadership and experience, Hurney is setting Fox up to fail, and bringing in a new coach seems like the only course of action available, which forces Richardson to front the cash.

We probably wont win another game this season, and that sets us up for a juicy first-rounder in the draft. Only question is what position to we draft? I have to admit, I don't have an answer right now... we need a dominant receiver to compliment Smith (this is like that movie Groundhog Day). Dare we keep drafting these WRs considering they never amount to what we need? How many more Colberts and Jarrets do we acquire before we go after an experienced free agent? Of course that hasn't really worked either, like when we got Burlson and Meshawn. Or do you think Gettis and the other new guys will pan out?

I guess we have to know why the team isn't working now before we can figure out how to fix it. Is it just the QBs? Who do we draft? Thoughts?

Edited by jb_online

I think Fox will not get resigned, which is a shame since he is a good coach and someone will snap him up. Several teams will be looking for coaches this off-season. Dallas, San Fran, Possibly Minnesota. Fox has had some success but it's been hit or miss. His first 4 years were 7-9, 11-5 (SB appearance), 7-9, 11-5 (Lost Conference Champ Game). He's also had 2 years at 8-8, and then two years ago the amazing 12-4 season that imploded week one of the playoffs. His record before this year was 71-57, this year (assuming we dont win again) will drop him to 72-73 which will put him at 1 game below .500 and Carolina's second 1-15 year. The other was Seifert's last year before Fox came on. We still have a chance to win a couple more games, but the Browns are better than expected preseason. Maybe we could beat the Seahawks? It will be rough the overcome the injuries this year.

Bill Cowher will obviously be the top target, but he will be the top target for everyone else as well. Living in Carolina already won't hold much sway when Dallas or San Fran can offer him a ton more money then we will. I can't imagine Carolina will be able, or willing, to spend the money to snap up one of the high profile free agent coaches like Cowher, Gruden, maybe even Dungy. I'm sure they will promote an assistant off our team, someone else's team or go for a college coach who wants to make the jump.

With everyone so young on offense, it may be a good idea to stand pat on them and see how they develop. Gettis is very good, and LaFell has done well also. Clowney and Thomas haven't really been used a whole lot, but they should be guys just happy to be on a team after being claimed off waivers. Clausen has talent, he just needs experience. With Pike, Moore and Edwards on the roster I wouldn't imagine we would draft a QB with what would likely be the 2nd or 3rd pick in the draft, unless it was someone you couldn't pass up. Perhaps we should draft a good OLman to help protect our young QBs. We've seen what missing Otah this season has done to both the running game and pass protection. With Kasey hurt and struggles in the punting game, we may actually look at drafting a kicker in one of the late rounds. Our defense has played fairly well this year, but you can never go wrong with picking up a dominate linebacker/dline like NC State's Irving or Auburn's Fairley. I think with our current roster, whoever the new coach is will have to stick with a defense/run first oriented game plan since that's what the team is built for, and so drafting D-lineman and O-lineman to help that purpose would be smart. Unless the new coach has enough time before the draft to set up a new system and goes out and drafts a new QB a couple WR's and a TE and we suddenly become a pass first team. It will also depend on which of our free agents get re-signed. We declined to trade either Stewart or Williams, but will they both get re-signed? The Panthers run a lot like the Hurricanes, close to the league minimum and miles away from the cap. The youth movement is looks good so far for the Hurricanes, will it work for the Panthers?

Just noticed the Panthers picked up Andre Brown, who had been on 3 different teams since August. My guess is this will be just temporary as well. Can't hurt though, I'd like to see him do well wherever he goes.

I used to know everyone on the team, starters and back-ups. I would go through the roster in my head when I was trying to go to sleep at night (I also do that with the Canes, but that's a much shorter list). This season there have been so many changes, personnel changes and moves... I don't know who plays for Carolina anymore. This season is downright aweful. I can't wait for it to be over so we can hit the restart button. Watching this team is embarrasing and painful.

Williams out for season, along with everyone else

Edited by jb_online

I agree with what Fox had to say about injuries not being an excuse... to a point. Yes, it's professional football and the #2 guy should be just as good as #1, but what about #4? #5? Come on.. let's look at reality, when you are to the point of pulling players who were waived by other teams, and then you have to promote guys off your practice squad... you are in serious trouble. Injuries have doomed this team from day 1 starting with Jeff Otah and Steve Smith and working their way through the roster. Who is running around the Panther's locker room with a lead pipe and who did we piss off?

I'm not embarrassed of the team, but at this point I do wish the season was over. What more can we accomplish now expect get more guys hurt?

The mock draft on mynfldraft.com has us picking 2nd (behind the Bills) and choosing WR AJ Green from UGA. Probably not a bad pick. Of course with our luck, we would win out, finish 8-8 miss the playoffs and then get pick #14 or something like that, although I don't think that will happen this year.