The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

The Panthers this year are a train wreck, both literally and figuratively. No matter how ugly it is, you can't help but look. I know the Falcons game today is going to be ugly, but I'll watch it anyway, at least the first half. The other 1PM game here in Winston is Steelers/Bengals so not much to see there either.

Now the question is, if we do get the #1 pick, do we take a QB? I don't think we need another QB but Andrew Luck and Cam Newton will both be sitting there waiting to go #1. You figure Matt Moore is gone as a UFA, so do you bring in a guy to back up Clausen (or throw another rookie to the wolves, which I do not like). I guess some of it depends on how the team dynamic changes without John Fox. Do we transition from a running team to a passing team? Grab a QB and stock up on WRs and TEs? Or do we stay a running team and load up on OL and FBs? Current mock drafts have us selecting Andrew Luck #1 overall, who is supposed to be the best "NFL ready" QB coming out this year. I guess whether the team needs it or not (Yes, Moore, Clausen, St Pierre et al have all sucked this year, but do we need 5 QBs on the roster? Obviously some guys are getting walking papers come January) you have to take the best player available.

I still think Carolina's biggest need is a lack of receivers. We've seen all-pro receivers like Smith and Muhammed make a horrible QB look brilliant. If they decide to cash in a franchise QB like Luck then for God's sake also get him someone to throw it to, either by draft or trade.

Well the Panthers won against the team that knocked them out in the playoffs two seasons ago, Arizona. John Fox will be guarenteed a winning record with the Panthers once the season is done, he's right now 73-69.

I guess the outcome of the Atlanta game doesn't matter if we've "Clinched" the #1 overall draft pick. I guess with 3 wins we would still lose tiebreakers and still be "last". Which of course means we will win in Atlanta in a completely meaningless game. At least we can play spoiler?

I'm not holding my breath for Andrew Luck.. every indication is he is staying in school, and I can't blame him. The seniors and 4th year juniors who are graduating don't have a choice, but the redshirt sophomores and true juniors who are "eligible" to declare, but are not sure about the labor situation will probably stay in school so they don't risk sitting out a year. Of course, if they get drafted, sign a contract and then don't play I guess they will still be getting paid a little bit and working out with their pro team.

My wish for late christmas/new years for the Panthers is a new GM. How bad can you fudge up a team like he has this year? The Peppers fiasco.. the Delhomme gaffe.. even forcing Fox to be a lame duck in his last year.. Who has the reins of this team? I place very little blame on John Fox for Carolina's struggles.. he was handed a stripped down skeleton of a team, and then had some horrible injuries (Otah, D.Williams, et al) to deal with on top of that. The Yahoo writer who wrote that this years team was engineered to fail was dead right. I'm glad at the very least he will walk away at the end of his contract with a good record, and not being fired/bought out. The day after the Falcons game his phone will be ringing off the hook as he packs up his office. Someone will snatch him up in a hurry, with what looks like will be 7-10 coaching vacancies this offseason.

If Luck doesn't come out, then I hope we pick an O-Lineman, since that is our biggest liability right now, but I'm sure they will pick a skill player, like UGA WR AJ Green.

how long will it be before the Panthers announce a new head coach? That individual will need to assemble a staff and then evaluate existing players before going into the draft.

Sooo... Newton or Fairley? I'm on the fence, but leaning toward Fairley. Cam is too much of a risk IMO. But I'm old fashioned.

Newton is nowhere near first overall material. Too many questions about his technique although his drive and spirit can't be questioned. Newton may well be still available when Carolina picks 31st to start the second round (assuming we have a second round pick this year) so taking him first overall would be a huge waste. He won't be the first QB taken, much less first overall. He's trying hard to improve his stock, but he's still projected late first round/early second.

I've been bouncing between Bowers and Fairley.. I like the Clemson guy and it would be a close to home type pick (like Peppers) but Fairley is a BEAST. If we don't pick him I will be disappointed. Of course knowing the crack management staff we have they will probably trade away the pick anyway so it may not matter.

Our biggest team need is offensive line, but I would say with the first overall you take the best player available regardless of position or team need and for my money that's Fairley. I know Moore and Clausen both struggled but a lot of that was because they spent the whole season concussed and on their butts with no line in front of them. I don't think we need a QB, not until we have a OLine to protect him.

It looks like Rivera is warming up to Newton. I agree that he is a very risky selection for the first overall pick, and may have lost a lot of favor with the media/analysts, but it seems like he did pretty well at the Auburn pro-day. I am not convinced that he should be the number one pick, but I will not be surprised at all if he ends up in Carolina.

Here is a possibility, maybe: I'd go after Carson Palmer with all I could (within reason). I know that the Bengals have said that they are not interested in trading him, but comeon, he is outspoken about not wanting to be stuck in that pathetic organization and when has a player ever been that outspoken and played well for the team? They would be smart to cut/trade him and get someone new who is looking for a chance to start somewhere new. I think Carson would be a good vet to teach Clausen what not to do and maybe get us some wins in the process. Palmer just needed a good line in front of him and he could have made a difference, I think.

So we picked up Jeremy Shockey. I liked Dante, Jeff and Gary - each seemed to be pretty solid, but I guess a couple of them will be gone soon. So I guess this is an alternative to signing a high profile receiver to tandem with Smith. I am a little surprised we'd sign a guy with a damaged reputation... but I guess that's why he's only signed for one season.

BTW - I don't think we have a second round pick.

Edited by jb_online

OK, the schedule is out (if there is a season)... it's rough.

WK1 @ Arizona Cardinals

WK2 Green Bay Packers

WK3 Jacksonville Jaguars

WK4 @ Chicago Bears

WK5 New Orleans Saints

WK6 @ Atlanta Falcons

WK7 Washington Redskins

WK8 Minnesota Vikings

WK9 BYE

WK10 Tennessee Titans

WK11 @ Detroit Lions

WK12 @ Indianapolis Colts

WK13 @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

WK14 Atlanta Falcons

WK15 @ Houston Texans

WK16 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

WK17 @ New Orleans Saints

OK, there is no way to predict anything right now, considering the current state of the NFL... but based on the previous season, I'd say we are gonna be a 5-11 team. :thumbdown:

I really hope we don't pick Newton. I just don't think he's the best player available at #1 overall. He's starting to show himself as a first round pick, but still probably mid to late first round.

Despite the fact that Carolina desperately needs a QB, I would argue there are greater team needs.

WR - How many times did teams triple Smith and ignore everyone else, or load 10 in the box to stop the run and dare us to throw it? Our receiver corps was not a threat at all, and not all of that is the QB's fault. How many passes were touched with two hands of some of the rookie receivers and subsequently dropped?

OL/OT - Leading the league in sacks given up is not pretty, even with Jeff Otah hopefully returning. You could bring Tom Brady to Carolina and he is gonna suck if he spends the entire game on his back or gets knocked out with a concussion. Neither Moore or Clausen got into any kind of rhythm with the constant sacks and injuries.

DT - The lack of any pass rush is a huge glaring hole. The absence of Peppers and no one to replace him shows badly.

I would much rather see us take an AJ Green, Nick Fairley or Marcell Darius over Newton, but i'm not the GM. Seeing some of the mistakes Hurney has made in the past I'm almost afraid to watch this train wreck honestly. If they take Newton our luck or our franchise will turn him into a huge bust.

I really hope we don't pick Newton.

Of course it went down that way... I must say that he is going in the right direction - the first thing he did was ask for the playbook to study/learn. In his press conference in Charlotte he said that he wanted to become great and praised the organization as one that could help him grow into the player he has always wanted to be. It's better than saying "OK, I'm here... where's my money."

Still, at least we didn't trade away half our draft picks and next season's number one for the second best wide out in the draft... I've heard both sides of the argument in that situation, and it might work out in the end, but that's a lot of eggs in one basket. And considering all the holes in the Falcon's roster, it's too rich for my blood. Their defense needs help, badly. But, of course, we welcome weakness in a division rival, don't we? :welcome:

Well I still think they are taking a huge gamble with Newton, but at least it seems they did their due diligence or at least got to the point they were comfortable with him. Multiple private workouts, an hours long meeting with the owner and GM.. At least they talked to him and worked with him for a long time rather than a knee jerk -zomg must have Heisman winner at #1- type reaction.

Somehow we ended up with two third round picks, probably the series of trades that we gave away our second rounder, and we pick two defensive lineman.. this I like.. this I like a lot. Even if they don't play right away since they are lower down in the draft unlike Fairley or Dareus, but depth on the DLine is always good.

On a side note, John Fox took Nate Irving midway through the third round, which they say is higher than he should have gone, but the LB class this year is kinda weak. I wonder if he would have gone to Carolina if Foxy was still there (something about him Fox likes) or if he is a good fit for Denver. Obviously they took Von Miller #2 so strengthening the LB corps is a priority for them this year.

*I see now our second third round pick was a compensatory pick at the very end, round #33.. So essentially we will get two #1 picks of the 4th round, since we will get the next pick tonight. It also looks like we have 2 6th round picks, one compensatory at round #38, and our 7th round pick is in round 48, so we dont have the first pick of round 7 but a compensatory pick.

So how long do you think it will take for Newton to take the starting job from Clausen? Or do you think he's already got it? I know he wasn't expected to start for a couple of years from the scouts/analysts... but he's going to get paid too much to sit I think. I expect to see him with the job by game one of the regular season - whether or not he should be starting.

Will we land any good free agents? Knowing Hurney's history, I doubt it.

They will trade Clausen, Moore leaves as a free agent, Newton starts game one and is out by game two with concussions from our porous OLine and we will be playing the rest of the season with Armanti Edwards at QB.

The way they have mismanaged this team, I wont be surprised at all if that's EXACTLY what happens.

Steve Smith still wants to be traded, Rotosports reports. He says that it isn't about money or bad relations, it's about "winning more than two games" and "having fun playing football". Rivera said that the organization will do whatever is best for Smith and hopes he'll stay, but Smith's attitude is that of a man who is already made up his mind. Apparently, Steve Smith be traded before training camp (if there is one). What a way to start the season...

But hey, there is good news... we might have 8 games this season, Yay! (sarcasm alert)

I'd really like to see Smith go to the Chargers. If the Panthers are going to suck this bad, then I'd like to see Rivers get some receivers that are better than practice squad guys to help him get a ring.

If we are going to lose Smith, we're going to get something really juicy for him. What does San Diego have to offer? We did get Rivera from the Chargers, so he'll have some inside info on who could help the Panthers right away. To be honest, as much as I hate to lose our most explosive player... we could benefit from trading him.

I wasn't a fan of the Newton pick, but I have to give him credit, at least he is doing/saying the right things. Not a word about being the starter, showing respect to Clausen and the other guys, and working his tail off in the player workouts. It's a shame so far he doesn't have a real training regimen to follow, but so far he is doing the best he can in the situation the league has put those guys in.

Carolina has a brutal schedule this year, even with playing the divisional "last place teams" which all well out performed us with 5 or 6 wins. Arizona/Green Bay is a tough start.

We also have an absolute ton of Free Agents this year. Of course depending on some of the details of the new CBA could switch some of those guys from UFA to RFA. I think Matt Moore is gone, so it will be the Clausen/Newton show. How hard will they try to keep Deangelo Williams or will they go with Stewart/Sutton/Whoever at RB.

I don't want to be too pessimistic, but I think 5-6 wins would be a good rebuilding year effort and 8-8 would be a shock.

I have not kept up with the labor talks but If a full 16-game season comes reality then I see the Panthers going 5-11. I think they'll beat both Atlanta and New Orleans at least once. I also think they can beat Green Bay. The other two wins I say will come against two of the following, Arizona, Detroit, Washington, Tennessee, Houston.

But seriously the NFL is the most unpredictable league out there IMO. One year a team sucks and the next year they go 14-2 and win it all and then the next they miss the playoffs that my predictions are a moot point. That said I would not be surprised if New Orleans goes 8-8 and misses the playoffs and Atlanta falls back a bit getting in as a wild-card. I think Tampa Bay is taking the division this season.

Yea but those teams that go 14-2 undergo huge overhauls in the offseason and usually are several years in the making. Such as when New Orleans finally figured out how to play football again.

With the new rookie salary restrictions agreement, Cam Newton is sure to be a saaad panda.

cam.png

But hey, we are getting ever so close to a new season! Who would have thunk it?!

The Panthers have gone crazy... in a good way. Of course it doesn't help the fact that JR tanked the last season knowing full well the lockout would happen, but now that he is being forced to spend money he sure is doing it.

Williams back, Johnson back, Anderson back, Davis extended, Smith likely to get an extension now that he exclaims that he is staying. I just saw we picked up Greg Olsen ex of Chicago, which I think is our third tight end. Hartsock is surely a blocking tight end (1 rec for 7 yards last year), but Olsen looks like a decent pick up. Compared to a WR 404 yards and 5 TDs doesn't sound like a lot, but considering last year Rosario has less than 300 yards and King less than 200, it's an improvement. I don't know what we are giving up for Olsen, that hasn't been reported yet. Oh, and I had forgotten about us picking up Shockey, so that's 4 TE's now. King has already moved on and UFA Rosario will surely be allowed to walk.

Should make this season very interesting.

Well, Jerry and Marty are doing and saying all the right things, now. Did you read the letter to Panther fans from Jerry Richardson? He is making a statement about how you have to spend to win (PK, are you reading this?). It shows so far: we've been spending like a drunk sailor.

I am very excited about the moves they have made. My brother and I were very concerned that Deangelo Williams was being pushed out, much like the veterans in the last offseason. I didn't understand why he was being ignored by Hurney, but now it kinda makes since: they were focused on the up coming lockout and really couldn't give Williams any info on what was around the corner.

Smith's change of attitude is very welcome, too. I am happy that he decided to stay, but to say the he will retire a Panther! Wow, what a statement! I hope Newton and Smith grow a strong bond and get some chemistry going in training camp.

I was surprised and a little confused with the signing of Shockey. But, considering it's only one season, I expect this to be a short lived partnership. Especially with the acquisition of Olsen... now we have two top pass-receiving tight ends. I see Olsen taking the position away at some point and being a keystone of the offense for years to come. I remember the season he was drafted, how he was turned heads and making coaches drool. It was impressive to see a tight end draw that kind of attention. I think this is a great pick-up.

Being surrounded by Falcons fans here in Georgia, it has come to my attention just how much Atlanta and it's fans wanted Charles Johnson. It was a sad day for them when he signed in Carolina. But it was a good day for us. I like his game, hopefully he'll continue to shine, even though he now has a huge paycheck. He needs to earn it.

I was surprised that Thomas Davis is staying, too. Not that he isn't good, or didn't deserve the contract, but you know how hard it is to come back from a season off due to injury... and he's been off for virtually two seasons with them. I hope he comes back in top shape, but I don't really expect he will. It is like Dan Morgan all over again.

So, the guy we got for Chris Harris is gone... what a waste that trade was. And for what? I still don't get it.

Well, it's official - the last remaining original Carolina Panther is gone. Say bye to John Kasay, after a great ride. I always admired him as a person and a player. Though he may have been the key contributor to the game winning field goal in Super Bowl 38 (with that lame duck of a kick-off, that rolled out of bounds). A lot of fans wanted his head, but I always remind them that there were a lot of mistakes that night and that his was just the tip of the iceberg, and the most memorable.

OK, so last-to-first is the reputation in our division... lets prove it right!

cam.png

I did read the letter, but I'm not so sure about the "must spend to win" rhetoric. The Panthers are spending now because they have too. Almost 1/3 of the roster UFA this year including some big names, all those articles about Carolina having the lowest salary in the league were right, but the reason was all those guys no longer counting against us, so suddenly we have to go from the neighborhood of 40 million to 119 million.. break out the checkbooks! I don't know what our salary was last year, but I would assume we lowballed it (considering no one got re-signed and all those guys went FA) and while everyone else spent in a uncapped season for us that meant limbo and go low. Obviously we took care of most of that gap with re-signing our own guys, which was good. Charles Johnson got paid big time, at first it didn't make sense, but with Atlanta knocking on the door if you are committed to keep a guy you surely won't let him go to a division rival.

I hope the reason Smitty is staying is he is really impressed with Newton, which seems to be the case. The poor guy has had no support at QB and had to be one of the best receivers on a crummy team. Last year was a down year for him, but in 2009 he nearly got 1000 yards and scored 7 TDs as the team around him went 8-8. 1400 yards and 7 TDs the year before in our great 12-4 year.

I love the moves we're making and I love the fact that we are making moves at all period. You stand pat for too long and 12-4 becomes 8-8 becomes 2-14. I still have some reservations about this year, considering our schedule and the short offseason, but next year we could be a force to be reckoned with. Honestly I will be happy this year with 6 wins. Our other "last place" teams that we have to play against this year (Redskins, Cards, Lions) all went 5-11 or 6-10 last year so they were "better" than us even though they finished last in their division. Playing the AFC South (Colts, Jags, Titans, Texans) and the NFC North (Bears, Packers, Lions Vikings) as our two full divisions will not be fun, even though the Vikes, Lions, Titans and Texans all struggled last year they will still be tough. Of course a couple weeks ago looking at that schedule you had to assume DeAngelo and Smitty were both packing bags and would be gone, so who knows, considering we stemmed that tide of the mass exodus (Only losing Jeff King to signing with another team, all others were cuts) we might be better this year than I expect.

Anyone interested in Panthers season tickets?

Two seats together in the lower level, section 226. Great seats and view, owned them since the Panthers have been in Charlotte. See link to stadium diagram.

http://www.panthers.com/stadium/stadium-diagram.html

Face value of $83 per ticket, per game. 2 pre-season games and 8 regular season games.

Preseason:

Aug 13 -- NY Giants 8pm

Sept 1 -- Pittsburgh 8pm

Regular Season:

Sept 18 -- Green Bay 1pm

Sept 25 -- Jacksonville 1pm

Oct 9 -- New Orleans 1pm

Oct 23 -- Washington -- 1pm

Oct 30 -- Minnesota -- 1pm

Nov 13 -- Tennessee -- 1pm

Dec 11 -- Atlanta -- 1pm

Dec 24 -- Tampa Bay -- 1pm

Face value = $830 per seat = $1,660. Selling for $1400 as a package deal only.

Email with questions. First come, first served. nc_pepsi @ yahoo . com (remove spaces)

And what a great start to the season! Gettis out for the year with an ACL. He may or may not be the next coming of Mushin Muhammed, but we can ill afford any loses to an already thin WR corps. Now it looks like Legadu Nanee will be the #2 next to Smith unless LaFell really impresses them. Nanee hasn't had a star career at San Deigo, but he has experience.

I'm holding firm on my estimate of a 5-6 win season. So far it's not looking good.