The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Yeah, Gettis is out and so is our new DT Ron Edwards, with a torn triceps which could be a season ending injury. That and Smith's finger injury... it seems like we lose key players in training camp/preseason every year.

I read that Newton is taking a back seat to both Clausen and Anderson in practice. So he didn't get off to the amazing start we needed him to, so far. We'll see plenty of him tonight, I imagine.

Please! NO MORE INJURIES!

On a good note - Thomas Davis graduated from Georgia a week ago. I guess something good came out of his two consecutive seasons off.

I'm not worried about Smith. His finger injury is so minor. They said if it was a game that counted for something he would play but since it's the first preseason game he will sit.

The story on Yahoo says that both Clausen and Newton will take "first team" snaps today, so it seems like they will switch back and forth in the first half and then I guess Anderson or Pike will play in the second half. Let Anderson put on the helmet and take some snaps and then come regular season he can wear a sweatshirt and a clipboard. LOL.

I'm not against having Clausen start the regular season and see how he does. He obviously got thrown to the lions last year and I dont think even a Manning brother could have done much with our O-line and lack of receivers from last year. I love the additions of the TEs, either as a deep threat (like Wesley Walls back in the day) or as a check down. How to protect the QB? Get the ball out of his hands ASAP. Newton has looked good in the practice videos I've seen. Hopefully he will develop into a great QB.

I've watched little bits of the thursday and friday night games but couldnt really get into it since the teams I could care less about, but I'll watch the whole game tonight. I'm interested to see how the back ups do, since we can bank on injuries hitting, and plus some of the second half guys tonight (like Legadu Nanee at #4 WR) are likely to move themselves up the depth chart.

Well, I'm trying not to get too excited, but it's hard not too. I liked a lot of what I saw last night. I'd be curious to see the new QB rating from ESPN for last night. Clausen had the TD, but he also had the pick-6 and the new rating is suppose to punish guys more for mistakes like that. Without the turnover, Newtons rating might actually be higher than Clausen's.

We obviously still have some stuff to work on. Goodson with 2 fumbles(Yahoo has it listed as 1 fumble lost, I didnt notice we recovered the other one).. that will cost him playing time. Armanti Edwards still struggling to switch to WR, but he looked good on the punt returns.

On the positive side of the WR battle, Legadu Nanee looked pretty good, and how bout Pilares? What a catch and run for the score. Juked the one guy and then he was gone. Bad coverage by the Giants because once he got past the first guy there was no one else on that side of the field. No wonder Anderson was licking his chops, veteran QB saw the wide open hole and hit it.

We'll see how next week improves. Clausen will probably start again and take a couple more snaps and then switch to Newton again, unless they decide to let Newton start.

Well, I missed the middle two preseason games, but this fourth one is pretty good so far - a TD and we're up on the Steelers. I have to say that I am very impressed with Derek Anderson and I wouldn't be too upset to see him take a lot of snaps during the regular season.

I know this is a stupid thing to complain about... but here goes: did you notice the wall behind the goal posts - the panther eyes that are now blue and sad-looking? Up til this season, the graphic was a fierce looking yellow-eyed image that was intimidating. Now, it looks like a blue-eyed saaad panther... it gives the impression of being pathetic and scared instead of intimidating like the old version. What's up with that!? LAME!

I didn't watch the second half of last nights game, but the first half looked pretty good. But, in all honesty.. I think we should start Derek Anderson. I know we WON'T.. but we should. Give both Clausen and Newton a chance to learn... but no.. they know it is Newton that is gonna put butts in the seats and I'm sure his jersey is already selling like hotcakes.

I think it's official now that Clausen is a bust. Yes, it was tipped.. but his performance last night.. first pass = interception? 87 yards and sacked 3 times and a QB rating of 33?? Both Newton and Anderson were both over 100 (yes, Cam was only threw 5 times, but he was 3 for 5 with 25 yards and a TD.) Anderson was 11 for 19 with 192 yards and TD in basically a quarter and a half. Project that for a whole game and you're probably looking at about 350 yards, 2 TDs.. maybe 1 INT, but that's a good line. If you are going to start Newton at least make Anderson the back up. Clausen just plain out stinks. When we signed Anderson I was the first to say "Here's your clipboard and your hat enjoy watching the game", but he is way better than Clausen. If he gets some playing time against a first team in the regular season maybe it won't be as good but he has had an amazing preseason. I'm pleasantly surprised with Anderson and if the stuff really hits the fan at least we have someone to fall back on. Good move JR with the veteran QB.

Nice to see no fumbles, especially Goodson covering the ball with both hands.. Edwards looked much better at WR, doesn't look as loss. Naanee had a couple good catches and LaFell did as well. We may not still have a true "Number 2" who is AS good as Smith.. but I'm not as concerned about our WR corps.

I still think we may only win 5-6 games with our brutal schedule, but that's an improvement and makes me very excited about 2012 as this team continues to gel.

Holy cow... it was actually fun to watch the Panthers again! I've never been so content after a loss. Yes, it was a frustrating ending... but like jb said, we're going to have our ups and downs. There was so much to be happy about today... the future is most certainly bright. Cam is the real deal, and so are we. I can almost guarantee that we'll make the playoffs next season after laying the foundation this season.

I'm right beside you! Cam set an NFL record with 422 yards - the most of a rookie in his debut. Taking into consideration that the previous record was 122 yards less (set by none-other than Peyton Manning, himself) and he also threw two more INTs and one less TD than Newton... that makes the close loss a lot easier to swallow. One thing is for sure, Newton is making our young and inexperienced receiver core look really good. But I hope our running game doesn't disappear in every game, like that. We have two top-tier running backs who need to get their touches. Another thing I like about Cam today is that after the game he wasn't tooting his horn about his performance, he was talking about his disappointment in losing. He is really impressing me.

Smith looks reborn and very happy for a change.

Our defense took a HUGE hit by losing Beason - it seems like we never get all our key guys on the field.

I'm suddenly optimistic about our team and its future.

cam.png

Nice coming out party for the new young rookie :)

He does look like the real deal, it'll be interesting to see how he adapts as teams get more and more film on him. Panthers deserve to have some new exciting talent.

Panthers vs Colts... we might win this one!! But at this point, I'm not sure I want to win anymore - hurts our chances of a better draft pick. Speaking of, anyone know who's out there that we should try to grab? I think we need a playmaker on defense more than anything else. What do you think? There is a lot of highly rated prospects on the UNC Tar Heels roster... since they are already in NC, maybe Hurney is having the Panther scouts check them out with a fine-tooth comb.

We need to beat Atlanta... that would be HUGE! What is great for me this week is that I can actually watch the game on TV! I can't wait!

Didn't happen.

It struck me yesterday, while watching the Panthers collapse, that there are some really weird parallels between the Panthers and the Canes:

- Cheap owners who won't spend a lot

- Yet ownership that is strongly committed to the league

- Cam Newton == Jeff Skinner

- Steve Smith == Eric Staal

- Panthers play 45 minutes, Canes play 40 minutes. Panthers collapse 4th Q, Canes 3rd Period

There are a few others that I can't think of right now.

Both teams have horrible defense that costs them the game. They both score a LOT and then get outscored late. They both have a losers' mentality and are described by management as mentally frail. That sums it up in my mind.

The Panthers have had a ton of injuries to deal with - mostly on defense. James Anderson is the only LB who has played a significant amount of games and even he was injured for a while. Our Defensive line is made up of guys who weren't playing football a few weeks ago. Mare is good on kickoffs but has missed too many field goals to seem like the answer to replacing the steady and true John Kasay. We shouldn't have let him go... nor Hoover, nor Muhammad. And we shouldn't have traded Chris Harris for a fourth-string LB who we released in the last off season. I STILL don't understand that, unless it was a money thing.

So, who do we draft with our top 5 pick? I think we should go after one of those Carolina Tar Heel defensemen:

Tydreke Powell DT

Quinton Coples DE

Zach Brown OLB

OR

Don'ta Hightower ILB (Alabama)

Alshon Jeffery WR (South Carolina)

Considering all but one of those prospects are in the Carolinas, it should be fairly easy to recruit/scout them. I would bet that we'll see one of them in a Panthers uniform next season... hopefully surrounded with some fresh and talented players brought in as free agents and some off the hospital stretcher. I think Thomas Davis is done - you can't come back from having 3 ACL tears.

I went to the game on Sunday, bought a $45 ticket off ticketmaster very early Sunday morning. First one for me in a long time.

There were a lot of Falcon fans in attendance. Now I know Atlanta and Charlotte are only about 4 miles apart but they seriously were about half the crowd, I can't imagine it's vice-versa in the Georgia Dome. They are a lot nicer than some fanbases that invade Bofa though, saw no fights or bad sportsmanship.

The kicker Mare is pretty terrible. He should have made that FG late in the 4th.

Now I know Atlanta and Charlotte are only about 4 miles apart but ...

You mean 4 hours, right?

They brought in a new guy, unsigned rookie free agent Adi Kunalic to compete with or push Mare through the rest of the season. Who knows what will happen in the offseason. I think Mare has blown two wins for us now.

The game today was excellent! At half time Carolina was up 21-3 and they didn't blow the lead! That's a first. But it's amazing that Cam Newton and the Panthers offense did so well against the top defense in the league. Their third string QB, Yates of the Carolina Tar Heels, wasn't bad though, and I'm not sure if the outcome would have been the same if Andre Johnson played. But, a win is a win.

And who would have imagined that Indianapolis won and the mighty Green Bay Packers lost to Kansas City!?

OH, check out the famous trick play from the Texas game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5iGN5FOkc

Edited by jb_online

They brought in a new guy, unsigned rookie free agent Adi Kunalic to compete with or push Mare through the rest of the season. Who knows what will happen in the offseason. I think Mare has blown two wins for us now.

Kasey = Whitney

Both older, both "cut", both doing good in their new teams, both being missed at their old team.

Amen to that... I lost it when they cut him. He's got a lot of tread left on those tires. Same goes for Whitney... you hit the nail on the head with that comparison.

Panthers have a new logo.

Well it's not exactly new, but this one is more "fierce" I guess.

panthers13_t670.jpg?2663c383ae3146e1f47ef3bf52e57c5fcacce698

Something about the left eye looks weird.

They've also changed the script writing. This I'm not too thrilled with, the new writing seems boring.

Panthers-logomarks.jpg