The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

Panthers away unis remind me too much of the Detroit lions, not exactly fierce-some history there. Might have Stewart back against the Saints, hopefully get the ground game rolling.

Edited by Ichigo-1

I think they can get the running game back on track against this New Orleans defense. Need to make a big splash this week and make-up for that terrible loss in week one.

I LOVE the white uniforms. Most Panther fans I have come into contact with on the net hate them, but I think they are classy, clean and sharp. Of course, most people on the internet are only here to complain, so asking for some objectivity is probably asking too much from them. The idea of all black uniforms seems to be the hot-topic... I think it could work, but not with the silver helmet. I like what we have and don't feel a need for change... and neither does Richardson - I read his comment in an interview that the uniforms wont change in his lifetime.

Smith and Stewie are listed as questionable, but Rivera says they will probably play Sunday (shouldn't that make them 'probable' instead of 'questionable'?). Anyway, Go Panthers!

I think they can get the running game back on track against this New Orleans defense. Need to make a big splash this week and make-up for that terrible loss in week one.

Done and Done. Great win that NONE of the so-called football analysts saw coming, except for the comedian guy on FOX.

Team looked much better against the saints, good to see all the wheels in motion and what this team can actually do. I have to pull for the broncos tonight, get those falcons down to 1-1 with us :D

Panthers played a heckuva game, but just not quite good enough.

:yahoo:

If there ever was one line that summarizes following the panthers that is it. :gunhead:

This Panthers team makes it look it's near impossible to win a football game... dominate for three quarters and still lose in the fourth. If I cared about wins at this point I'd be on a ledge somewhere, but since I know that there is no point in improving our record at this point, I just feel numb. I wish I could trade this NFL season for an NHL season.

"Hey Matt Ryan... get the &%#@* off my field!"

Carolina Panthers 30, Atlanta Falcons 20 - let the media band-wagoners' explain-away-and-ignore sessions begin.

When we drafted Luke I was a little disappointed and confused. My thoughts were 'We don't need another stud linebacker, we've got arguably one of the best LB corps in the league.' There were a lot of wholes in the roster to fill and it just seemed like another missed opportunity to advance the team. But, when Beason went down, I saw the value of that draft pick. I think our top back-up, James Anderson (who lead the team the previous year in tackles) would have fit in just fine, but Luke excelled and really took the team to a new level. Luke had issues biting on play-action, but otherwise he was all over the ball carrier, no matter where they were on the field. He can cover and snuff the run like a 10 year veteran. I'm glad we have him and he earned this award without a doubt.

yorue right JB,LB didnt seem like a need, but we didnt realize how injury prone Beason was, he is more injury prone than Dan Morgan was

I have a feeling Luke is going to be in the Pro Bowl next year

what we desperatley need now, is corners and safetys that are not 3rd string rejects from other teams

yorue right JB,LB didnt seem like a need, but we didnt realize how injury prone Beason was, he is more injury prone than Dan Morgan was

I have a feeling Luke is going to be in the Pro Bowl next year

what we desperatley need now, is corners and safetys that are not 3rd string rejects from other teams

You hit the nail on the head. We get the secondary fixed and the Carolina Panthers are a potential super bowl contender, IMO.

I hope the new GM is capable of making a few offseason steals.

I agree JB, if Cam(Newton) can continue to progress,and not regress any,and our new OC runs a smart offense,like Chud ran at the end of the year,and remembers that we have RB's,very expensive RB's to take the pressure off of Cam. And remembers that without a sustained running game,Cam wont have the time or space to make those amazing plays Then I think we are atleast a playoff contender.

Rivera's job is dependant on us making the playoffs,so I think we will see new intensity from him also,and hopefully smarter decisions

Carolina Panthers: Star Lotulelei, NT, Utah Utah_logo.gif 
I don't know what to do with Star Lotulelei. He wasn't allowed to work at the Combine because of a heart condition. It could be something serious, but it could also be insignificant. Hopefully it's the latter. I think I'll slot Lotulelei here until I have more information. 

I was told by a reliable source not to mock Fletcher Cox to the Panthers because they were satisfied with their current group of defensive tackles. Based on the rushing yardage they surrendered to Bryce Brown and Jamaal Charles at the end of the year, I highly doubt they'll feel the same way in April. 

*** OTHER 2013 NFL DRAFT POSSIBILITIES: *** 

1. Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes, CB - The Panthers will be cutting Chris Gamble sometime soon. They'll need a new No. 1 cornerback. 

2. Kenny Vaccaro, S - More safety help is needed. 

*I agree with this assessment of our needs and if Star was to fall to our position I think it would be a steal.  Somehow we have to address our secondary and we have little to no cap space to do it in free agency.  This is a year where a GM truly earns his money.

You hit the nail on the head. We get the secondary fixed and the Carolina Panthers are a potential super bowl contender, IMO.

I hope the new GM is capable of making a few offseason steals.

So far the only move we've made is to cut our best players and let them walk away and sign some guy who's been cut TWICE. 

What the heck are they thinking up in the press box? Assuming they are thinking at all. 

Also what sense does this make "1. Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes, CB - The Panthers will be cutting Chris Gamble sometime soon. They'll need a new No. 1 cornerback. " You aren't going to replace a star with a rookie.  

I think he gets a lot of unnecessary criticism, the media and opposing fans are trying to find things to complain about.  Everything he says and does is scrutinized and picked apart.  It's beyond ridiculous.  But you're right, as far as talent goes he's off the charts and still has room to grow (amazingly).

I believe this will be a good year for the Panthers and they are only getting better with experience (it's a young team).  Star and Short should make a big impact on the DL.  The stable of new defensive backs should pan out, there are a few guys who should fill in nicely once the season gets under way.  Our defense suddenly looks scary, really scary...  We might have the best line backer corp in the league.  The KR situation just got REALLY interesting to say the least with the acquisition of Ginn.  Why hasn't Jimmy Clausen been released?

Steve Smith needs a Super Bowl ring some time in the next few seasons, with us or with someone else.  He's earned it.

So the Panthers lost to Arizona yesterday in an ugly game.

I may be alone here, but I was just thinking about that 2008-09 playoff game where Larry Fitzgerald burned the Panthers defense and Jake Delhomme threw 4 or 5 INTs. 

And to be honest, I don't think this franchise has totally recovered from that loss. Granted a good number of players and coaches from both teams are somewhere else but that loss is like a curse that keeps hanging around.

Ron Rivera seems like a good guy, but he is not the right head coach for this team. Who is? Couldn't tell you, most people didn't think John Fox was the right guy but he took a 1-15 team to a SB in 2 years, people thought George Seifert was a great hire, he wasn't.

This team has pieces, but holes as well. I forsee big changes this coming off-season should things continue to sour. And although I've been saying this for a while now, I really do believe this is going to be the last season that Steve Smith plays in a Panther uniform.