The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
IceFrog999

Carolina Panthers Football thread

That was... embarrassing. Not quite as embarrassing as the Sunday night game against Dallas last season, but pretty close. We had one bad blowout loss in our magical 2003 season. This had better be that one loss.

Jon, it looked like the stadium was like 70% empty by the 4th quarter. I'm almost afraid to ask, but when did people start to file out in masses?

Seems like business as usual for the Panthers to lose their home opener. I went into the RBC for the hockey game when it was 17-14, after the 1st period I went down to The Deck and its freakin 34-14. WTH! Kinda had the feeling from the start that Houston's offense might give us problems, but what happened to ours?

I think that the only 2 players to showed up Sunday were Jake and Steve. The rest of the offence was horrible, the defence was horrible and I don't even want to talk about the "special" teams. :angry: :o :angry: I hope the whole team shows up for the rest of the season, especially the next home game, I'll be there cheering. Please, please show up Panthers!!

As for the fans leaving, that happens every game at BOA. Maybe not as early but usually with about 8 mins left. I always stay till the end. :rolleyes:

Well, heres hoping that the Panthers have a great game Sunday.

GO PANTHERS!!!!!

Good for you staying until the end of games. Nobody, no matter what sport, should leave early. Unless you absolutely must leave early for an emergency or something else important, there's just no excuse for it. You will never see me heading for the exits until time expires.

Good for you staying until the end of games. Nobody, no matter what sport, should leave early. Unless you absolutely must leave early for an emergency or something else important, there's just no excuse for it. You will never see me heading for the exits until time expires.

Same here. I have to travel WAY too far from any major sporting event to treat it as just a trip to the mall or something.

Having it rough helps you appreciate stuff better, I've learned. ;)

As for MY commentary on the Panthers..."performance"...

I smell another 8-8 season. We win the first game (as long as it's not a home game), and then get that uncanny high-and-mighty feeling. Then we get put in our place and lose a game. THEN we decide "Hey, they can't do that to us!" and we win another game. Then, we get full of ourselves, and complacently lose again, thus perpetuating the vicious cycle all season long. That's what I sense coming, I really do. Of course, you have to allow for a few freak wins and losses to take place (beating teams we aren't supposed to beat, like the Colts, while losing to teams we SHOULD beat, like the Falcons). But in the end, if we get a wildcard berth in the playoffs, I'll be significantly shocked.

With coordinators like Trgovac putting us in Prevent "us-from-winning" defense all the time (who in their right mind would put Peppers in PASS COVERAGE for more than 3 plays a game???), a line that ONLY wants to perform decent run-blocking against the Rams and no one else, a special-teams unit that takes the term "special" to a whole new level, a set of 2nd and 3rd string receivers who couldn't catch E. coli from tainted spinach, and a coach who simply REFUSES to alter any of these negative factors (how on EARTH could Colbert possibly be more deserving of a spot than Dwayne Jarrett?)....it spells trouble for this team, it really does.

Because they're the exact same reasons we missed the playoffs last season, and so far, improvement is NOT being shown, with the exception of Jake Delhomme's play thusfar. Hopefully that improvement alone will help us win just enough games to get into the playoffs - and maybe by then, the other negatives will be ironed out enough so that we can make a run. Because this team truly is talented enough to do it - I just hope they can adapt to the things holding them back. :unsure: Because if they don't, history WILL repeat itself.

Believe it or not, I do love this team - it's just a tough love cultivated from years of missed playoffs, questionable coaching, heartbreaking losses, and Dan Henning. :lol:

With all that venting outta the way - LET'S GO PANTHERS!!! :D

Believe it or not, I do love this team - it's just a tough love cultivated from years of missed playoffs, questionable coaching, heartbreaking losses, and Dan Henning. :lol:

With all that venting outta the way - LET'S GO PANTHERS!!! :D

Well at least he's not here anymore. I think the offense looks like it's going to be fine under Davidson, but I'm worried about the defense.

honestly if we can get a consistent running game going on , consistently good that is (at least 100 yards and maybe 1 td) between two running backs we should be ok. Our defense needs to pressure QBs more, with Harrington coming up, they better not let him sit back in the pocket all day... Our run D is stout, but we need some help on the pass coverage, thats why peppers keeps getting put on pass D.

All those who wanted to see David Carr are getting their chance today, although I have to ask 2 questions,

what the hell happened to Jakes elbow when he threw that pass and hurt it, and

why does David Carr wear mickey mouse gloves when he plays football?

Jake probably just pulled something when he threw it. Hopefully he'll be back next game.

Foster was a beast today, especially in the waning minutes. Barrelled through so many to get the first.

Hope Jake gets back soon. Carr played well today, but I don't know if he can carry us through the season.

I agree. I don't think Carr is ready yet. Jake has been awesome so far this year!! They didn't take Jake back for x-rays or anything, so hopefully it isn't anything serious!!

GET WELL JAKE!!!!!

GO PANTHERS!!!

Not exactly a pretty victory, but a win's a win, I guess. I'm hesitant to consider next week's game against Tampa Bay an easy win, considering they've had two impressive wins in a row, and considering we didn't easily beat a pathetic team like Atlanta. Hopefully we'll be 3-1 this time next week.

I'm hesitant to consider next week's game against Tampa Bay an easy win, considering they've had two impressive wins in a row, and considering we didn't easily beat a pathetic team like Atlanta.

Plus it's at home.

Plus it's at home.

It should be a really good game; i'm looking forward to it. I dare not predict who will win because i don't even know for sure! Start of the season I would have said Carolina hands down; now i think it's a toss up.

It feels great to beat our arch-rivals, even though it wasn't a pretty win.

As far as Jake goes, they say he's day-to-day with a strained elbow and might play against Tampa.

We'll have our hands full with the Bucs. They've been playing very well lately and if we don't bring our A-game we will lose.

As far as the game vs ATL went, I couldn't have predicted it better if I tried to. We got over 100 yds on the ground and at least one rushing TD = a W. our Pass D needs some serious help, I am not sure whats going on, but Harrington shredded us in the air. luckily atl couldn't take advantage enough of our weaknesses. I will take a win against ATL any day, any way. Is it me or does our front 4 on D seem less potent? is ATL's offensive line that much better then our front 4? Coming into the season all my questions were focused on the offensive side for the most part. Now my head is scratching on what is going on with the defense.

I expect fox to work on our defense more so this week and getting our secondary situation straightened out (hope so anyways).

Always an exciting game vs. TB and ATL so should be a good one next week, hope that they win, but im not laying any money down on it.

About the pass defense... what's to not be sure about? Our secondary is full of unknowns- that's the problem.

It feels great to beat our arch-rivals, even though it wasn't a pretty win.

If by archrival you mean #1 rival, then I wouldn't say that. Even though the rivalry has died down a bit, I'd say the Bucs are our biggest enemy. Their fans and players have had a history of talking so smuch smack about us.

About the pass defense... what's to not be sure about? Our secondary is full of unknowns- that's the problem.

If by archrival you mean #1 rival, then I wouldn't say that. Even though the rivalry has died down a bit, I'd say the Bucs are our biggest enemy. Their fans and players have had a history of talking so smuch smack about us.

I say this because we've been rivals with the Falcons for much longer (since 1995) and the fanbases hate each other more. I agree with you that the Bucs are a better on-field rivalry.

BTW, is anyone else sick of all this talk about Carr being the starter now? Honestly, here are Jake's numbers this year...he's completing 64 percent of his passes, is throwing for 209 yards per game, has 8 touchdowns and just one pick through three games, and has a QB rating of 111.9, which is third in the league.

Those are excellent numbers. Suddenly his elbow is tweaked and people are wondering if Carr could be the permament starter? They're fooling themselves. Carr is a fine QB but there's no reason to sit Jake if Carr happens to start and play well this Sunday against the Bucs. Maybe y'all haven't been hearing this, but I have from a few places, and I find it ridiculous. Last year was last year, and this year is now. Besides, Jake's play wasn't even all that bad last year, a lot of people just thought it was because he throw a few bad passes at inopportune times. I think, however, he looks much better this year. Even in the loss to Houston he played very well.

BTW, is anyone else sick of all this talk about Carr being the starter now? Honestly, here are Jake's numbers this year...he's completing 64 percent of his passes, is throwing for 209 yards per game, has 8 touchdowns and just one pick through three games, and has a QB rating of 111.9, which is third in the league.

Those are excellent numbers. Suddenly his elbow is tweaked and people are wondering if Carr could be the permament starter? They're fooling themselves. Carr is a fine QB but there's no reason to sit Jake if Carr happens to start and play well this Sunday against the Bucs. Maybe y'all haven't been hearing this, but I have from a few places, and I find it ridiculous. Last year was last year, and this year is now. Besides, Jake's play wasn't even all that bad last year, a lot of people just thought it was because he throw a few bad passes at inopportune times. I think, however, he looks much better this year. Even in the loss to Houston he played very well.

I can understand people wondering this before the season... what Panthers fan didn't? But now, forget it. Personally, I think Jake's back to his old self. Carr's okay as a backup, but he definitely doesn't need to be a starter. Jake's doing very well, and I feel comfortable with him leading the way.

Carr is good, I don't shake my head in pain with the thought of him starting compared to wiene-kie... but hands down this is Jakes team and he is the QB. I think columnist are making this into something that it's not trying to make a story out of it.

As far as Carr being cocky, well most professional athletes are, minus the NHL. I'd rather have a confident cocky back up in then the awful choice we had last year.