The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

If this had happened to be a certain Jets quarterback lighting up Oakland, it would be celebrated as one of the great moments in NFL history and they'd be planning "Brett Favre Day" for next season or something. Oh wait, that happened a few years back. Never mind.

As it is, it's just Cassel going off and leading his team to victory... oh, and his father died the other day, too. No big deal. Big ups to Cassel. I hate the Pats, but Cassel seems like a great kid and I'm happy to see him sticking it to the critics, especially under the emotional duress he was under this weekend.

How about them Dolphins huh? 1 more win and we have the division.

Pretty impressive. Im officially a Dolphin fan this week :D

Thank you Seattle!!!!!

This game at the Meadowlands this weekend has classic Miami meltdown written all over it. I'm having Raul Allegre 1991 flashbacks already.

That being said, Miami could lose 300-0 in the first round of the playoffs so long as they beat the Jets this week and put BRETT FAVRE out of his misery permanently. If Miami makes the playoffs at the expense of BRETT FAVRE, I will be the happiest person in the world.

This game at the Meadowlands this weekend has classic Miami meltdown written all over it. I'm having Raul Allegre 1991 flashbacks already.

That being said, Miami could lose 300-0 in the first round of the playoffs so long as they beat the Jets this week and put BRETT FAVRE out of his misery permanently. If Miami makes the playoffs at the expense of BRETT FAVRE, I will be the happiest person in the world.

lol Brett I am retired, no I am not, yes I am :lol:

my team is in misery the Denver Meltdown Bronco, i want to puke really.

That was back and the chargers deserve it more and will kill denver this week

on National TV :(

Titans have home-field advantage, best team in the AFC...and I will not see meaningful football from them until the new year.

Whats up with Kurt Warner? Any sign of a snowflake and he plays like a 3rd string high school freshman. I think that game will really do them in, I'd be happy to play them in round 1.

Broncos defense continues to be pathetic, a game against the Bills at this point should be an easy victory when your offense gives you 23 points. I hate that the chargers will most likely sneak in for a playoff spot, but honestly i don't feel they earned it if they do, going 8-8 and having home field in the first round doesn't sit well with me, but those are the rules unfortunately.

Amazing how we go from a 16-0 team last year...to seeing possibly an 0-16 team this year, I found the latter more rare really. The Lions have been awful for a while, kudos for any fans that stuck with that team.

Well, things were bad enough for us Browns fans before Brady Quinn went out for the rest of the season with the injury. Now they're just in the draft sweepstakes. Not that they have much luck with the draft anyway. They make the Canes draft picks look absolutely brilliant with the picks they've made since they've come back into the league. They could make a show of "Where Are They Now?" for Browns draft picks... :blink:

Hopefully the Seahawks, Bungels and Raiders will win....and the Browns will lose. As much as it pains me...they need a good draft pick and need to get rid of Romeo and Savage.

On another note It is just so sad and idiotic that a team (San Diego) can possibly make the playoffs at 8-8. Yet the Cleveland Browns did not make the playoffs last year at 10-6?

DAMN THOSE PACKERS!!!
It was so hard to root for the Cheeseheads in the first place and then they go and blow it. The Vikings haven't fared well in 'must win' games in recent years. Fortunately the Giants don't have much to play for, so maybe they'll lay down for the Vikes!?

I love the articles around about the media and fans of Pukesburgh Steelgirls being upset with some of the Titans for desicrating the Terrible Towel!

One of them even pretended to blow his nose with one!

Apparantly even some of the players were upset...Steelgirls Upset

I love the articles around about the media and fans of Pukesburgh Steelgirls being upset with some of the Titans for desicrating the Terrible Towel!

One of them even pretended to blow his nose with one!

Apparantly even some of the players were upset...http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Story/12-22-Steelers-Titans-notes' target="_blank">Steelgirls Upset[/post]

I dont understand why they are making such a stink about that... the only way those guys could have gotten their hands on one anyway is if an angry fan threw it at them... so if a fan gave them access to the other teams memorablia what do you expect them to do with it? It will be sad on the NFL if they levy suspensions and fines based on a celebration... since when is football not FUN anymore?

I dont understand why they are making such a stink about that... the only way those guys could have gotten their hands on one anyway is if an angry fan threw it at them... so if a fan gave them access to the other teams memorablia what do you expect them to do with it? It will be sad on the NFL if they levy suspensions and fines based on a celebration... since when is football not FUN anymore?

I agree. When Wes Welker got a unsportsmanlike penalty for making his snow angel during the snow-ball game at Gillette on Sunday, I just rolled my eyes. Its not like he was gloating in the opposing team's face when he scored. When you're accumulating 3-8 inches of snow During the coarse of the game, a snow angel is appropriate fun, imo. Not to mention the countless snowballs in the stands.

I agree. When Wes Welker got a unsportsmanlike penalty for making his snow angel during the snow-ball game at Gillette on Sunday, I just rolled my eyes. Its not like he was gloating in the opposing team's face when he scored. When you're accumulating 3-8 inches of snow During the coarse of the game, a snow angel is appropriate fun, imo. Not to mention the countless snowballs in the stands.

Yeah.. I mean I understand "taunting" which is getting up in another players face and pushing and shoving and using profanity.. that is unsportsmanlike.. but a little dance, or bumping chests with your teammates is not "excessive celebration"....

The other one I dont understand is if you hand the ball to a kid in the front row after scoring a touchdown, thats "cute" and "sweet", but if you heave the ball up into the crowd its a 15,000$ fine (DeAngelo Williams)... Whats the difference?

Its sad when a D-lineman runs back an interception or fumble for a TD which NEVER happens... dude-man scores his ONE career TD and he gets a celebration penalty.

well there is a reason they call it "The No Fun League" at times. I loved creative TD celebrations, the snow angel is a perfect example. Everyone is throwing snow in the air in the stadium, the celebration is fun, and just gets the crowd more into it. Luckily the Pats were blowing out the cards so they didn't care about the penalty.

But geez, these are grown men, if they opposition doesn't like the celebrations, don't let them score.It's probably the one major thing that bothers me about Goodell, TD celebrations used to be so fun and creative and it only improves ratings. Now were lucky if we even see someone spike the ball after a TD,lol.

It was so hard to root for the Cheeseheads in the first place and then they go and blow it. The Vikings haven't fared well in 'must win' games in recent years. Fortunately the Giants don't have much to play for, so maybe they'll lay down for the Vikes!?

Man I hope so...Vikes need all the help that they can get!! They been playing so well then boom here comes the big game and four turnovers! Just terrible...they need to prove themselves and beat the defending SB champions to make the playoffs.

Pats' Welker fined for TD antic

It seems we've seen the last of Wes Welker's snow angel-making exploits on NFL Sundays.

The kid in him got the best of Wes Welker, who was flagged on Sunday, then fined on Wednesday for making a touchdown-inspired snow angel.

The New England Patriots wide receiver has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for exactly that.

"It was a spur of the moment deal, and you can be sure that it won't happen again," Welker was quoted as saying on The Boston Globe's Web site.

Welker was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct Sunday for making a snow angel just beyond the end line after his touchdown in the first half of New England's 47-7 rout of the Arizona Cardinals.

According to The Globe, Welker said he wasn't certain if he'd file an appeal.

League spokesman Corry Rush said Welker was fined for unsportsmanlike conduct for participation in an illegal demonstration by going to the ground.

Following Sunday's victory, Welker said, "I just got a little bit too excited there. I really didn't think it would be a penalty. I wouldn't have done it if I thought it was."

Link

I personally found it funny, I don't think it was so bad that it deserved a fine.

Pats' Welker fined for TD antic

It seems we've seen the last of Wes Welker's snow angel-making exploits on NFL Sundays.

The kid in him got the best of Wes Welker, who was flagged on Sunday, then fined on Wednesday for making a touchdown-inspired snow angel.

The New England Patriots wide receiver has been fined $10,000 by the NFL for exactly that.

"It was a spur of the moment deal, and you can be sure that it won't happen again," Welker was quoted as saying on The Boston Globe's Web site.

Welker was penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct Sunday for making a snow angel just beyond the end line after his touchdown in the first half of New England's 47-7 rout of the Arizona Cardinals.

According to The Globe, Welker said he wasn't certain if he'd file an appeal.

League spokesman Corry Rush said Welker was fined for unsportsmanlike conduct for participation in an illegal demonstration by going to the ground.

Following Sunday's victory, Welker said, "I just got a little bit too excited there. I really didn't think it would be a penalty. I wouldn't have done it if I thought it was."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3792441' target="_blank">Link[/post]

I personally found it funny, I don't think it was so bad that it deserved a fine.

"Illegal demonstration by going to the ground"... I guess thats the key.. Like the old ones where the guy throws the "grenade" and the three guys fall down.... I still dont think it deserved a penalty or a fine, but if its in the rules... i suppose they had to do it... Make sure TO doesnt start whipping out Sharpies again. lol...

"Illegal demonstration by going to the ground"... I guess thats the key.. Like the old ones where the guy throws the "grenade" and the three guys fall down.... I still dont think it deserved a penalty or a fine, but if its in the rules... i suppose they had to do it... Make sure TO doesnt start whipping out Sharpies again. lol...

Yeah it's one of those rules like the college QB that threw the ball over his shoulder, blanking on his name...

Yeah it's one of those rules like the college QB that threw the ball over his shoulder, blanking on his name...

In College, I think anything involving the ball is an automatic penalty.. and so I love it when the guys walk over to the ref, very calmly hand them the ball and then go nuts with thier teammates.. lol...

I remember the one your talking about and cant remember what school it was.. but didnt they miss the extra point and it cost them the game? The guys on TV were baffled.. cause its not like he was being a showboat or anything.. he just threw the ball straight up into the air... The guy had never scored a rushing TD before, and he scores one to tie a ballgame against a rival (Was like Texas vs Houston or Cal vs Hawaii or something like that) and threw the ball.. of course he was excitied.. and then they miss the 25 yd extra point and lose the game 16-17 or something like that... that was uncalled for.

In College, I think anything involving the ball is an automatic penalty.. and so I love it when the guys walk over to the ref, very calmly hand them the ball and then go nuts with thier teammates.. lol...

I remember the one your talking about and cant remember what school it was.. but didnt they miss the extra point and it cost them the game? The guys on TV were baffled.. cause its not like he was being a showboat or anything.. he just threw the ball straight up into the air... The guy had never scored a rushing TD before, and he scores one to tie a ballgame against a rival (Was like Texas vs Houston or Cal vs Hawaii or something like that) and threw the ball.. of course he was excitied.. and then they miss the 25 yd extra point and lose the game 16-17 or something like that... that was uncalled for.

My point is it's one of those little rules that you don't think about, going to the ground, flipping the ball over your shoulder, but it's a penalty.

target="_blank">It was Washington and BYU.[/post]

Fly, Eagles, Fly....on the road to victory.....E A G L E S....EAGLES !! Go #20 and 36 !!

Who's picking the Eagles?

Time for our weekly look at who's picking the Eagles...

Les Bowen of the Daily News goes with the Cowboys, 20-13.

Paul Domowitch of the Daily News picks the Cowboys, 24-13.

SI.com's Peter King likes the Cowboys, 24-20:

Not sure what's louder by game's end -- boos for Terrell Owens or chants to fire Andy Reid. Dallas has won one road game in the past 13 weeks, by the way. I'm picking the Cowboys because I don't like the Philly offense -- at all -- and because I think Tony Romo's tired of hearing what a useless player he is when the games get very big.

Dom Bonvissuto of SI.com doesn't give the Eagles much of a chance:

The Eagles have a sliver of hope. They first need to beat the Cowboys. They also need the Bucs to lose to the Raiders. If those two things happen, they also need either the Vikings to lose or the Bears to lose. If all that happens, the Eagles would be the No. 6. Also, if all that happens, we'll type next week's projections with our nose.

ESPN.com's Bill Simmons likes the Eagles to cover the 1.5-point spread:

The all-time "I don't trust either of these teams" game. I hated this pick both ways, changed it 35 times and settled on being more frightened of having the Cowboys than the Eagles. Shouldn't Fox prepare PSAs for the fans of both teams either way?

ESPN's Sunday Countdown crew is split on the game. Analysts Tom Jackson and Keyshawn Johnson go with the Eagles. The other three pick the Cowboys.

As for the rest of ESPN's experts, five of eight pick the Cowboys.

CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco picks the Cowboys, 23-17:

If the Cowboys win, they're the sixth seed. The Eagles need to win and get help. These two don't like each other, which should make for an interesting game. The Cowboys struggled last week against the Ravens, but I think they get it going on offense here. Tony Romo can win in December.

CBSSports.com's Harmon Forecast likes the Eagles, 21-20:

Cowboys QB Tony Romo faces an Eagles defense that held the Redskins to 4.4 yards per pass attempt and no touchdowns. Eagles QB Donovan McNabb will test a Cowboys defense that registered six sacks, but struggled to get to the quarterback late in the game and gave up a touchdown pass in the third quarter to a receiver who had an injured arm.

Five of six CBSSports.com experts like the Cowboys to cover the 1.5-point spread.

The USA Today experts are split, four picking the Eagles and four going with the Cowboys.

Fly, Eagles, Fly....on the road to victory.....E A G L E S....EAGLES !! Go #20 and 36 !!

Unreal implosion by the Cowgirls... Philly returns not one, but two fumble returns for TDs and is SPANKING Dallas 41-3.... And now both the "big boys" Dallas and New England will be playing golf next week.

Hahaha.. way to go Miami... what a turn around.. not only do they follow up a 1-15 season with an 11-5 performance and a division championship/playoff berth they knock the MIGHTY PATRIOTS out of the playoffs!!