The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Aye...the Birds will be very difficult to beat IMO...T. Jack is gonna have to play mistake free and AD will need to have a career day. Not only that, but we have to get pressure on McNabb. P. Williams continued loss is definitely a big blow as well.

It's Dawkins' game....Feel the heat Vikes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80dcbe86&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true' target="_blank">http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true[/post]

I sort of lost a bet on another board and had to do a Bill Simmons ripoff NFL playoff preview based around the extremely quotable and highly underrated Rocky III. I did it, and thought I'd share this completely insane and irrelevant preview with my friends here. Enjoy... or something:

THERE IS NO TOMORROW: THM

You're parasites and leeches. Get outta here.

To the Philly fans. You win a title for the first time in 25 years in October. What would your insufferable selves be like with two titles?

NEW YORK 20-13

Dream on...Go Philly...go Philly fans. Philly always puts on a great effort with the Giants.

I sort of lost a bet on another board and had to do a Bill Simmons ripoff NFL playoff preview based around the extremely quotable and highly underrated Rocky III. I did it, and thought I'd share this completely insane and irrelevant preview with my friends here. Enjoy... or something:

THERE IS NO TOMORROW: THM

Arizona did us a favor and beat Atlanta, so thats one less thing Carolina has to worry about. They commited to stopping Turner, and Ryan made them pay with some good passes, but he didnt do enough to win the game.. Turnovers killed Atlanta. If they try to stop Williams and Stewart then Smith and Delhomme will certainly make them pay. The philly/minnesota game will decide who carolina plays next week, minnesota if they win, arizona if philly wins. Our stunning defeat at the hands of the Vikes earlier this year turned thier season around, but that wont happen again.

Glad to see SD win last night, even though they wont go far, it was nice to see them at least win thier home wild card game for winning the division. Changes the AFC picture a little bit.. I had Colts and Titans in the AFC Crown... So much for the MVP of the league huh?

The Dolphins Ravens game tonight should be a good one.. Wildcat offense versus a fast stingy defense. I think the Ravens might keep the Fins in check in this one, but we shall see.

Wow...another brutal playoff performance by the Colts, the way they were struggling to get first downs in the 4th quarter you'd think they were playing the Steelers.

I did pick the chargers to win, but geez, not with all the crazy turnovers they had. The Colts practically got owned by Sproles and the Chargers' punter and still could've snuck away with a win, all they needed was a measily 1st down against one of the weakest defensive teams in the playoffs.

Maybe the football gods were trying to play a cruel trick on Manning or something for winning the MVP award that probably should've went to D'eangelo Williams.

And I heard all the people saying Manning DIDN'T deserve the MVP saying that Chad Pennington did...

What a vomit-inducing performance today. After winning in New York last week, I FINALLY believe in Pennington after 17 weeks of skepticism, and then he turns THAT in today.

The first interception to Reed is one of the worst interceptions I've ever seen in a big game. I mean, he dropped back and asked himself, "What Would Brett Favre Do?" The answer was, of course, throw the ball as high into the air as possible into double coverage. If I had allowed myself to get emotionally vested in the Dolphins as I would have been in years past, I would've broken something after that play. Completely reprehensible.

The Fish overachieved all year and caught all kinds of breaks and I totally expected this outcome today. That being said, if Chad protects the football and Miami punches it in from the 1 rather than take the easy FG on the first possession, if the Dolphins don't win the game outright, we've at least got a ballgame with 2:00 left.

Why DON'T teams punch it in on 4th and Goal at the 1 more often? If you can't get it in from there, you don't deserve any points anyway, and if you don't get it, the other offense is 99 yards away.

Because getting points is always better than not getting points. How many games do you see that are decided by 3 or less points?

Not to mention when your defense gets a goalline stop, that's a huge boost of momentum to the team.

I think the playoff race is kinda wide open in the AFC.

NFC i'm already scratching off the vikings and cardinals who i don't think have a chance of beating teams like Carolina, and New York.

My prediction first round: Cards beats Falcons

Eagles beat Vikes

Chargers beat Colts

Ravens Beat Dolphins

Sadly, I wouldn't be surprised if i was wrong about all 4 games, they are pretty even matchups for the most part mainly due to some of the weaker teams being division winners and gaining home-field advantage.

I'm going to vegas..later people B)

Haha, well done JayCane.

I'm glad the the Eagles and Cardinals won, I would much rather face an Arizona team at home than a falcons team and I think the Eagles have a much better chance at beating the Giants than the Vikings would have, though I doubt they actually will.

Also does anyone else notice a surplus of teams with bird mascots?

Hmmmm, who does JayCane have for the Superbowl????

Nice showing by th AFC east :rolleyes:

Pats would've been MUCH better...what a sham, eh TSA?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :angry:

Although its a lot less stressful when you have no emotional investment in the outcome of a game.

Haha, well done JayCane.

I'm glad the the Eagles and Cardinals won, I would much rather face an Arizona team at home than a falcons team and I think the Eagles have a much better chance at beating the Giants than the Vikings would have, though I doubt they actually will.

Also does anyone else notice a surplus of teams with bird mascots?

That was my fear too, the one team that might could beat Carolina would be Atlanta, with 2 games worth of film to look at, years of familarity.. I was kinda hoping we would end up with the Vikes who we would have dismantled, but Philly beat us to the punch.. Arizona is hot, but considering the way they played the end of the season, clinch a playoff spot, then lose three straight without even showing up.. finally win week 17 when it no longer matters and play a decent game against an Atlanta team that shot itself in the foot multiple times.. they have to run out of gas at some point.. they didnt exactly set themselves up for a deep run. Arizona stopped Atlanta's run game and Atlanta failed to make them pay with the passing game.. they wont be so lucky against Carolina, Smith, Muhammed, King and others will make them pay dearly. Arizona has a weak secondary, I can't believe Atlanta couldnt beat them.

As far as the bird teams.. Eagles, Falcons, Cardinals.... Cats eat birds... its all about the food chain.....

I was kinda hoping we would end up with the Vikes who we would have dismantled

Uh, I do believe that we dismantled you in the regular season...in fact I remember a particularly flustered Jake Delhomme who had no running game to support him. Everybody here can hate on the Vikes all they want, but the fact is we can run the ball and stop the run...and against run heavy teams like the Panthers that means the Vikes have the advantage. The Eagles like to run as well, but that went nowhere yesterday, even with us missing TWO of our regular defensive linemen. Luckily for Philly McNabb has found his game again and made the big plays that T. Jack could not. I highly doubt that Delhomme could do the same.

So yes, be glad that you didn't get the Vikings, because the Panthers run offense would have gone nowhere and Delhomme would've had to make the big plays that have been foreign to him all season long.

Yeah, because clearly the Panthers had the same run game in the Vikings game that they do now.

Delhomme doesn't have to make the big plays while the team's got the running game. At most, he's got to deal with the 3rd and medium situations, where the solution is generally "Pass the ball to Smith and let him make something happen".

The team that the Vikings played early in the season is not the team that's playing now.

Yeah, because clearly the Panthers had the same run game in the Vikings game that they do now.

The team that the Vikings played early in the season is not the team that's playing now.

The Panthers last four wins have come against teams that rank 17th, 27th, 19th, and 26th in the league against the run. The Panthers 'rejuvinated' running game has more to do with who've they've been playing against as opposed to somehow magically becoming a new team. fallen_apostle's expert analysis of a rematch with the Vikings is correct. :P

And 300 yards against Tampa Bay was just a coincidence then?

With the way they played defense after Kiffin's announcement, I wouldn't take a great performance against them to mean anything too special.

The only point that I was trying to make is that a game between the Panthers and Vikings wouldn't be any "blowout" win for either team, like Eric was saying. Yes, the Panthers are a better team now than they were back in that Week 3 loss, but still no team runs well against the Vikings, so it's not like the Cats would just have a field day against us. Do I still think that you guys would win? Absolutely, as you'd probably shut down AP and make T. Jack beat you, which isn't something he can do. It just wouldn't be a big victory or anything, maybe something like 17-10.

Honestly though I would have preferred going up against the Panthers instead of the Eagles...the Eagles are just rock solid right now whereas the Panthers (IMO) are one dimensional and can be rattled. I expect an Eagles victory next weekend.

Uh, I do believe that we dismantled you in the regular season...in fact I remember a particularly flustered Jake Delhomme who had no running game to support him. Everybody here can hate on the Vikes all they want, but the fact is we can run the ball and stop the run...and against run heavy teams like the Panthers that means the Vikes have the advantage. The Eagles like to run as well, but that went nowhere yesterday, even with us missing TWO of our regular defensive linemen. Luckily for Philly McNabb has found his game again and made the big plays that T. Jack could not. I highly doubt that Delhomme could do the same.

So yes, be glad that you didn't get the Vikings, because the Panthers run offense would have gone nowhere and Delhomme would've had to make the big plays that have been foreign to him all season long.

Thats big talk considering you backed into the playoffs based on other teams losing and then got SPANKED by a mediocre Philly team... Go cry somewhere else.