The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Yes, they did. But the Bears have needed a QB for God knows how long now. I think it was worth the risk for them. Attitude problems or not - the kid can play.

And come on... I know I'm not the only one here that was hoping that the Panthers would swing a deal for him. Not at THAT price, but ya know. You can bet Cutler wouldn't be making rookie mistakes like turning the ball over five times against an outmanned team - singlehandedly blowing the entire season - in the biggest game of the year and wishing for three separate Bojangles items from the genie rather than the combo meal.

to play devils advocate and watching all 37 career games that Culter played, He is definatlely capable of throwing 5 picks

against anyone. Trust me he choked more often than not.

He is like a mirage. He looks great on paper but what you actually get is Jeff George. A cancer and a coach killer right now.

bears gave up too much for him

only time will tell. If you are a bears fan I sypathize with you.

Cutty is a tease currently. He MIGHT get better or he might cry again

at the first sign of adversity like he always has.

and the sad part is I kinda like Chicago, but will never root for

a guy did not want to play for his team. (yes I do with Ramriez

I hate him as well but what do I want him to do, fail so my Dodgers fail.

He is still pond scum though and Cutler is right there with him)

me thinks he mopes and pouts, he even did that when he had his buddy Shanny there.

btw McMahan is better that this guy ever will be becuase he is a winner. intagibles count

and Cultler does not have then now.

Its not about stats, stats are so overrated it is not even funny

eg.. QB rating for Career, Cutler 87.0 Elway 79.9, who is better. It is not even close.

I can see that arguement for McMahon because he did win a Superbowl. Still though, we have to admit that Cutler, even if not playing hard, is going to be better than Grossman/Orton/Griese/who ever else they have used in a long time.

Not that any of this really matters to me. I'm all about the Panthers.

Looks like the Pats' players can't stay out of the headlines...

http://www.nypost.com/seven/04062009/news/nationalnews/pow_pow_at_gisele_vows_163138.htm' target="_blank">Tom Brady's Bodyguards open fire on Photographers[/post]

wow

Ya know though... something about that story doesnt smell right... Not to say it couldnt happen.. it wouldnt surprise me.. but a story in the tabloids about the paparazzi and the "witnesses" and "interviews" are only with the photographers. Its like a 3rd hand account of something that may or may not have happened... Could be legit, could be bogus.

Its funny how the people on the comments want to say the photographers are just "doing their jobs"... Oh.. like killing royalty and trespassing is ALLOWED so you can get that half nude picture of Britney Spears..... No respect whatsoever... I wonder what fences they climbed over to try to take pictures of the wedding.. obviously they werent supposed to be there or they wouldnt be tustling with the bodyguards.

BIG NEWS!!

DELHOMME EXTENDED!!!

Proving their faith in Jake Delhomme is unwavering, the Carolina Panthers have given their quarterback a five-year extension.

The new deal is worth $42.5 million and includes $20 million in guaranteed money.

The extension will keep Delhomme with the Panthers through the 2014 season and free up valuable cap space. Delhomme was scheduled to make $6.325 million next season, the final year of his contract. His cap number, however, was $11.091 million and the Panthers were close to maxing out their salary cap, burdened by Julius Peppers' one-year tender worth $16.7 million.

"Jake Delhomme is incredibly excited to be able to finish his career in Carolina," his agent, Rick Smith, told The Associated Press. "He felt there was unfinished business at the end of last year."

The agreement ends any thoughts about the future of the quarterback position in Carolina. Delhomme has taken the Panthers to one Super Bowl and is coming off a 12-win season. Although 34, the Panthers believe Delhomme is good enough to get them back to the Super Bowl, even though his last game was the worst of his career -- five interceptions and a lost fumble in a 33-13 loss to Arizona in the NFC divisional playoffs.

Delhomme established himself in 2003 when he signed with the Panthers as a free agent and became their No. 1 quarterback. He's started 76 games in his six seasons in Carolina.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Just shoot me now.

Ah one of the few days in the last few years its better to be a Falcons fan than a Panthers fan. They might have traded a fairly high pick for an over the hill pro-bowler but at least they didn't extend Delhome for 5 years.

Ah one of the few days in the last few years its better to be a Falcons fan than a Panthers fan. They might have traded a fairly high pick for an over the hill pro-bowler but at least they didn't extend Delhome for 5 years.

This just in Falcons decide to keep Vick.

heard on WFAN that boldin is available for a 2nd rounder, god, please giants scoop him up for 2 2nd rounders before eagles do

FIVE years? LOL! A year for every interception he threw against Arizona!!!

So THAT'S how the Panthers measure their players success. Good to know.

An entire career thrown away for one game? How many times has Delhomme done what "only Jake can do" like finding Smith streaking down the right side for a 82 yard TD. When he is off he is HORRIBLE, but when he is ON he is miraculous... How much praise is lauded on him when he wins and venom spewed at him when he loses and by the same people no less...

Yes, that was a horrible lose and a game we shouldnt have lost.. but its not like we lost to the lions only to see them lose 69-0 the next week.. The Cards were riding a hot streak that took them all the way to the superbowl.

What would you suggest? I hear Ryan Leaf is available... plenty of BUSTS who never started a game... why take a chance? We're too low to get any of the QBs in the draft.. they will all be gone. Stay with what got ya there. Plus the contract doesnt guarantee he plays.. he has some competition in Moore and McCown.. granted what kind of competition who knows.

An entire career thrown away for one game? How many times has Delhomme done what "only Jake can do" like finding Smith streaking down the right side for a 82 yard TD. When he is off he is HORRIBLE, but when he is ON he is miraculous... How much praise is lauded on him when he wins and venom spewed at him when he loses and by the same people no less...

Yes, that was a horrible lose and a game we shouldnt have lost.. but its not like we lost to the lions only to see them lose 69-0 the next week.. The Cards were riding a hot streak that took them all the way to the superbowl.

What would you suggest? I hear Ryan Leaf is available... plenty of BUSTS who never started a game... why take a chance? We're too low to get any of the QBs in the draft.. they will all be gone. Stay with what got ya there. Plus the contract doesnt guarantee he plays.. he has some competition in Moore and McCown.. granted what kind of competition who knows.

Ya'll had a good team last season...what happened against Arizona was absolutely disgusting and in no circumstances acceptable. Delhomme gave his team NO chance to COMPETE in the game...forget about winning the damn thing...he didn't even let his team show up.

Before re-signing THAT for five frickin' years, yeah I would have checked other options. Just saying...not a lot of sense in this move.

eric, is nicks as good as advertised?

Nicks?

Damn, I turned on the draft and I just remembered we don't even have a 1st round pick. I'm sure thats why they resigned Jake.. we can't pick a QB in the draft, maybe in the 2nd round they will pick up another Olineman to help out Otah, or maybe a Dlineman to replace Peppers.

So we trade up to the middle of the second round to grab a DE.... was it worth what we gave up in the trade to get there? Is anything in the mid-second round worth trading for?

I can't find any information about what or who we traded, but we got two picks.. an early second round (and kept our later 2nd round pick) and a 4th round pick from San Fran.

So we trade up to the middle of the second round to grab a DE.... was it worth what we gave up in the trade to get there? Is anything in the mid-second round worth trading for?

I can't find any information about what or who we traded, but we got two picks.. an early second round (and kept our later 2nd round pick) and a 4th round pick from San Fran.

Some people had Brown going as a 1st rounder, so it was possibly worth it. Im guessing Martin will be converted to CB since we have Godfrey and Harris at S already. I was hoping we would trade Peppers for a 1st rounder, so now I have no idea where he'll go. I just hope he brings us something worth it.

Hopefully we can still have a good season next year, we have a pretty tough schedule.

Some people had Brown going as a 1st rounder, so it was possibly worth it. Im guessing Martin will be converted to CB since we have Godfrey and Harris at S already. I was hoping we would trade Peppers for a 1st rounder, so now I have no idea where he'll go. I just hope he brings us something worth it.

Hopefully we can still have a good season next year, we have a pretty tough schedule.

I know.. i looked at that the day it came out and out schedule is BRUTAL this year.. we play several BIG teams, on the road.. like AT New England, AT the Giants, AT the Cowboys, AT Arizona... we play like the last couple SB teams on the road..

nicks is a tarheel, never mind :)

Oh.. Hakeem Nicks.. sorry. i didnt get the reference. He is dang good. He got picked late first round by the NY Giants to replace Plaxico Burress.. He has got rocket ship speed.. he is FAST.....

An all-defense draft for the Panthers so far... Hopefully that works out. I'm kinda surprised they havent picked up an Oline guy to protect the now re-signed Delhomme.. is our Oline already that good with Otah and friends?

Irvin i'm sure is a depth pick... but who knows.

i watched some utube on nicks, he does have some goodmoves.. giants got barden from cal poly he is6-6,, i think both these guys crack starting lineup, just a hunch

Mike Goodson, RB - Tex AM,. Called the future of that team but left under mysterious circumstances. Very athletic, said to be a good receiver and returner. Basically a replacement for Nick Goings, look for him as 3rd RB/ Special Teams player.

Tony Fiammetta, FB - Syracuse. Said to be the best FB in the draft, excellent blocker, good rushing skills, good receiving skills. Only downside is he is a little undersized, but he has the same Height/Weight as Hoover. I guess not a bad pick since Hoover is 32 now.