The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Mike Goodson, RB - Tex AM,. Called the future of that team but left under mysterious circumstances. Very athletic, said to be a good receiver and returner. Basically a replacement for Nick Goings, look for him as 3rd RB/ Special Teams player.

Tony Fiammetta, FB - Syracuse. Said to be the best FB in the draft, excellent blocker, good rushing skills, good receiving skills. Only downside is he is a little undersized, but he has the same Height/Weight as Hoover. I guess not a bad pick since Hoover is 32 now.

Yeah, I like both of those picks.. even if just for depth, like you say 2nd, 3rd on the depth chart... I like the commitment to the running game. Picked up an OL guy late also.

Carolina Panthers get: Second-round pick (43), fourth-round pick (111)

San Francisco 49ers get: 2010 first-round pick

Analysis: Plenty of folks had Everette Brown as a first-rounder, and getting Brown

Regardless of how good a pick he ends up being.. we give up our first round pick for the second year in a row.... is this a good idea??

Maybe we end up trading Peppers for someone's first round pick next year, so we'll see.

Regardless of how good a pick he ends up being.. we give up our first round pick for the second year in a row.... is this a good idea??

Not in the slightest. Why give up a 1st-round before the season even starts? There's no telling what could happen, and given the strength of our schedule, that 1st rounder might be really good down the road.

Maybe we end up trading Peppers for someone's first round pick next year, so we'll see.

I hope thats the plan.. cause I can see trading a pick for a player... but a first round pick for a 2nd and 4th? Those dont add up... even if it is depth this year vs having to wait till next year...

Hakeem Nicks, Andre Brown and Sintim from Virgina.. The Giants might have to be one of my new "ACC guys in the NFL" teams that I watch.... Plus their 5th year RB Hedgecock is from UNC also.

How did Torry Holt end up with the Jags? Did St Louis trade him or was he a UFA? I know he hasnt been as good lately, but I'm surprised they let him go unless he asked for an obscene amount of money. It just says he signed a 3 yr contract with the Jags.. I guess he was a UFA.. or waived.

Hakeem Nicks, Andre Brown and Sintim from Virgina.. The Giants might have to be one of my new "ACC guys in the NFL" teams that I watch.... Plus their 5th year RB Hedgecock is from UNC also.

How did Torry Holt end up with the Jags? Did St Louis trade him or was he a UFA? I know he hasnt been as good lately, but I'm surprised they let him go unless he asked for an obscene amount of money. It just says he signed a 3 yr contract with the Jags.. I guess he was a UFA.. or waived.

I didn't even know he was traded, kinda surprised he was sent to J-Ville. Woulda thought the Panthers would try to go after him. I knew that he said he was not interested in re-signing with the Rams though. I guess now i have no reason to root for them anymore. Loved them during their "greatest show on turf" days.

Holt was released by St. Louis back in March. Basically the Rams didn't want to pay him and were unable to get anyone to take his contract via trade, and wanted to get his salary off the books while they rebuild.

ya'll do a CBS sportsline fantasy league during football season? groupa guys I did one with last year doesnt want to do it again. I liked the way CBS handles its league and looking if someone else needs a filler.

I expect the Raiders and Bengals to be the next 0-16 teams. Raiders needed some DT help and got a WR, Al Davis-like pick. Bengals got a problematic tackle who will get in problems soon.

Lions? They needed DL.

I figure I'll put this here, since I don't know if it's too early to start the 2009 NFL Thread yet, but I'm surprised no one had mentioned this yet as many hardcore Panthers fan's we have around here.

After holding out as long as possible and realizing he had no other options, Julius Peppers finally signed the 16.7 million 1 year deal for the franchise tag. I suppose after this year he will be a free agent and this will be his last year in Carolina. Will he bust his butt, as the article suggests with it being a contract year and all, or will he put it in cruise control and coast the year since he just took a massive payday. 17 million for 1 year? Holy cow.

Personally I think this is a mistake by the Panthers and a huge cap hit, but the nature of the game they won't let him walk away with nothing in return. Now they paid him 17 million dollars, for potentially nothing in return. Nice one. :)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Apov...p&type=lgns

A few months ago I asked TSA if he would give me two first round picks for Pepp. He said "No Thanks." Hey, I tried. :lol:

With all the perks built into this contract, and the possibility of making even more cash next season, Peppers should be nothing short of fantastic this upcoming season:

On top of the $16.7 million in guaranteed money, Peppers could earn another $1.5 million if he makes the Pro Bowl and $250,000 for each playoff win, giving him one of the highest single-season contracts in NFL history.

Holy cow! What a motivation!

I am glad that he has changed his attitude... I never would have expected this from any Panther, and especially not from him... he is a great guy from what I have heard/read. I think that he has a lot of leeches, with their hands out. He has never played outside North Carolina, and is obviously curious what the world of football outside of NC is like. I don't really blame him, I was disappointed in how it came out, though.

Ron Meeks, the new Defensive Coordinator is really turning heads. He is a polar opposite of Mike "Tergo" - and this should benefit Peppers and the rookie, Brown, more than any other players because Meeks has really good relationships with his players (especially his DEs). I am not the kind of fan/person who would suggest throwing tons of money at someone with talent, but I really am glad this has ended with a positive outcome (other than the hit on the salary cap). And I expect to see Peppers tear the field up next season. To do otherwise would be plain stupid!

A few months ago I asked TSA if he would give me two first round picks for Pepp. He said "No Thanks." Hey, I tried. :lol:

With all the perks built into this contract, and the possibility of making even more cash next season, Peppers should be nothing short of fantastic this upcoming season:

Holy cow! What a motivation!

I am glad that he has changed his attitude... I never would have expected this from any Panther, and especially not from him... he is a great guy from what I have heard/read. I think that he has a lot of leeches, with their hands out. He has never played outside North Carolina, and is obviously curious what the world of football outside of NC is like. I don't really blame him, I was disappointed in how it came out, though.

Ron Meeks, the new Defensive Coordinator is really turning heads. He is a polar opposite of Mike "Tergo" - and this should benefit Peppers and the rookie, Brown, more than any other players because Meeks has really good relationships with his players (especially his DEs). I am not the kind of fan/person who would suggest throwing tons of money at someone with talent, but I really am glad this has ended with a positive outcome (other than the hit on the salary cap). And I expect to see Peppers tear the field up next season. To do otherwise would be plain stupid!

I agree with you.. never saw this coming from him and hopefully he's not the reason it got ugly, maybe it came down to agents and lawyers and stuff like that. He is a classy guy and even as he pounded the Wolfpack's QBs for 4 years I still had to respect the guy cause he never quit.. he played every play and his motor was running 110%. Heck, half the time at UNC he played offense and defense.. that "trick" play they do for the panthers were Pepp lines up as a TE... that's not really a trick.

I could understand some no name guy squawking about not getting paid enough.. but Peppers is a franchise guy.. we built the defense around him. He had a couple of rough years, but I thought he came back with a purpose last year. Hopefully he will kick some tail this year and help us get back to the playoffs.

I've just been reading past posts and got up to the Delhomme situation and schedule for next season... so get ready to flame me.

I like Jake Delhomme... you could say that I love him. True, he had one really really bad game, and when it counted most. But Jake doesn't play defense. And later the Cardnals players were quoted as saying that they had studied the Panthers signals and worked extra on tape. So, that explains why they had the jump on most of the passing plays (it was clear that they knew what was coming - just like the Bucs did when they played and beat the Raiders in the SB). It's not that Jake was THAT bad, it was that their D was that prepared. They worked the same magic (admittingly not to such successful results, though) against everyone in the Playoffs.

Also keep in mind that Jake is not just the QB, he is the leader of the team and heart of the franchise. Not signing him would be like not signing Brind'Amour. I am glad he is locked up for probably the rest of his career here in Carolina. And Jake is a bounce-back guy... so he will be good for next season (and he will also have Smitty for the WHOLE season, this time - since Lucas isn't around to get punched).

When people complained about Jake's bad game, and his re-signing, it reminds me of the idiots who said that we should cut John Kasay because he kicked the final kick-off out of bounds in SB38. If you exile someone for a bad game, Favre would have never made it out of Atlanta, Randy Moss wouldn't be in New England, etc...

Oh, and I seriously doubt that Arizona will be as much of a threat in the up-coming season. We'll see, but I just have a feeling that their magic is gone.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!! I come home and Im soooooooo excited to watch Tom Brady in action (and I dont mean on Entourage) and there's NO broadcast :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Someone? Anyone? Help??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to any Steelers/Cardinals fan but........

It's 2009 get with the times :P 2008 thread sheesh

Hey, I didnt want to start a whole new thread! Help Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I updated the title, now find me a link! .....please.

Woo, Tom Brady is 10-15 with 2TD's. Looking good :)

Still would be nice to be able to see it.

Patriots up 21-6 at the half. Brady out, Andrew Walter (who?) in. Not a bad start for Brady, is it week #1 yet?