The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Brady will prolly still be in in rhe 4th Quarter going against the Igles 4th string just to try to reach 10TD passes in a game

Brady will prolly still be in in rhe 4th Quarter going against the Igles 4th string just to try to reach 10TD passes in a game

Ahhh... the smell of a new NFL season, the NE haters are back! :)

sarcasm warning

Watching the Steelers/Cards game and listening to the guys talk about the league penalizing blocks to the head. It's a lot of difference in the thoughts on that and the thoughts on hits to the head in hockey.

sarcasm warning

We never left, just set idling and waiting for the perfect punch-line :lol:

and lol @ philly for signing vick, that's an odd one, guess they expect nab to get injured... wait... :huh:

Vick just signed with Phillie <_<

Wow, I'm not surprised to hear this... but it will be interesting to see how the Eagles fans react to him - especially considering that the Atlanta fans treated him like a god and he couldn't keep from flipping them off and insulting them in the press. Welcome to Philadelphia, Ron Mexico, where the fans hate everyone... including their own. They even boo Santa, how long until they boo Vick?

Did you hear that http://www.bvonsports.com/2009/07/28/tony-dungy-to-act-as-vick-s-mentor-in-nfl-reinstatement/' target="_blank">Tony Dungy was assigned [/post]to be his mentor/advisor/big brother by Roger Goodell?

I wont be hating the Patriots until week 14. I picked Wes Welker in my fantasy team, so I will be expecting a lot of points out of him. I got a man-crush on him when he played for Miami... then he signed with New England (of all the teams to go to <_< ). I think, other than Steve Smith, Wes is the best slot reciever in the game.

Vick just signed with Phillie <_<

I'm not exactly thrilled with Vick being back in the league, but I figured someone would take a chance on him.. here's my thoughts on it.

First, He won't be playing quarterback. He's 3rd in line at best in Philly.. I would imagine seeing him used as a "running back" for wildcat/fleaflicker/direct snap types of plays. He can throw occasionally, but he will probably mostly run. Lets hope McNabb isn't found in the locker room with a broken leg and a lead pipe next to him.

Second, at 1.6 million dollars he's making about the same or less then the kicker. Yes 1.6 million is a lot of money, but I'm sure he has legal fees, fines, debt now out the wazoo so he's not exactly getting rich here. If they had signed him for a huge contract like 10 years 100 million or something that would have been a reason to be like "WHAT?" And now it looks like the original 2 year contract is only 1 year and an "option" for a second.. so its really a no risk/high gain situation. He can either be a game changer.. or sit on the bench.. either way it doesnt matter.

Third, while he was serving his 23-24 month sentence he missed two whole seasons. So here's what I don't get. If you want to ban him that's fine.. ban him and be done with it.. but if you're going to re-instate him, and they did.. why are you going to add a 4-6 game suspension on top of the two seasons he already was banned for? Oh.. cause the LAW punished him but the league didn't?? As much as I don't like him.. that I think is stupid. If your going to re-instate him, but then suspend him half the season why did you let him back in? If he's in.. let him play. The small suspension the league wants to hand out to him is just to make a statement, embarrass him further and keep Goodall's name in the papers and I think it's unneeded.

I can't say that he's "paid his debt" and that his hands are now clean of what he did.. 2 years may not be enough for that. But according to the courts he has served his time. Is it enough who's to say. I'm not a fan of him or his brother.. they are both criminals.. but "legally" he has been punished.

Feel free to agree or disagree.. just my thoughts on the issue. I knew he would be back in the league one day, but never as a 75 million dollar starting QB.. he wrecked that gravy train for good. No matter how good he does as a backup QB/RB he'll never be paid the uber-big bucks anymore.

So here's what I don't get. If you want to ban him that's fine.. ban him and be done with it.. but if you're going to re-instate him, and they did.. why are you going to add a 4-6 game suspension on top of the two seasons he already was banned for?

I think more than anything that the commisioner would like to get past the start of the season without Vick being the biggest story on Sunday. It's like the elephant in the room, it's hard to ignore. The commish saves a little face with the protesters and delays his debut until the fanfare of opening week is gone.

If Goodell is going to suspend Stallworth for his incident then Vick should sit the entire season for his little transgression which, imo, was a heck of alot worse, he did federal pen time.

Yes, Stallworth committed vehicular manslaugter, he has received his sentence from Florida, did his 24 days in jail, is doing 2 yrs of house arrest and 8 yrs of probation plus he has lost his DL in the state of Florida forever. Plus he has paid an undisclosed amount to the family of the victim.

Vick spends 18 months in a federal pen, which is like club med, only serve a few month of house arrest then he can return to football by game 6 of the regular season. All the money Vick made went into torturing dogs, sorry but Vick needs to sit his sorry excuse for a human being butt for a season too.

Let's be fair. Vick disgraced the NFL with what he did just as Stallworth did. This new attitude Vick has just because Dungy has been his advisor could be nothing but an act, he never once expressed remorse for his actions.

Listening to Stallworth's interview, he accepted his punishment and expressed remorse for his lack of judgment in driving under the influence and the use of marijuana. Suspension for a yr without pay is acceptable but it should be applied to both of them, just not one.

Now that I am off that soap box. I could care less about the preseason, let's get the regular season going. Steve Smith returned to practice, he didn't do any type of contact drills but was seen throwing the football around and catching passing in other drills. Probably will not play Monday night.

As for Welker, if he is available when I am drafting, I pick him. Not sure why other people in my draft never pick him, yet he comes up big. I can't wait to see the Panthers' version of the Smash and Dash ala Stewart and Williams. Getting to watch these two, believe me it awesome to watch two young RB share the ball and give the Defense fits.

The division to watch this season will be the NFC South. Any of those teams can win it. Again the top draft pick will go to Detroit with Oakland running 2nd.

If Goodell is going to suspend Stallworth for his incident then Vick should sit the entire season for his little transgression which, imo, was a heck of alot worse, he did federal pen time.

Yes, Stallworth committed vehicular manslaugter, he has received his sentence from Florida, did his 24 days in jail, is doing 2 yrs of house arrest and 8 yrs of probation plus he has lost his DL in the state of Florida forever. Plus he has paid an undisclosed amount to the family of the victim.

Vick spends 18 months in a federal pen, which is like club med, only serve a few month of house arrest then he can return to football by game 6 of the regular season. All the money Vick made went into torturing dogs, sorry but Vick needs to sit his sorry excuse for a human being butt for a season too.

Let's be fair. Vick disgraced the NFL with what he did just as Stallworth did. This new attitude Vick has just because Dungy has been his advisor could be nothing but an act, he never once expressed remorse for his actions.

Listening to Stallworth's interview, he accepted his punishment and expressed remorse for his lack of judgment in driving under the influence and the use of marijuana. Suspension for a yr without pay is acceptable but it should be applied to both of them, just not one.

Now that I am off that soap box. I could care less about the preseason, let's get the regular season going. Steve Smith returned to practice, he didn't do any type of contact drills but was seen throwing the football around and catching passing in other drills. Probably will not play Monday night.

As for Welker, if he is available when I am drafting, I pick him. Not sure why other people in my draft never pick him, yet he comes up big. I can't wait to see the Panthers' version of the Smash and Dash ala Stewart and Williams. Getting to watch these two, believe me it awesome to watch two young RB share the ball and give the Defense fits.

The division to watch this season will be the NFC South. Any of those teams can win it. Again the top draft pick will go to Detroit with Oakland running 2nd.

See I get that side of it.. if it's a whole season its a whole season... but 2 or 4 games? I mean come on.. that's just adding insult to injury. If you don't want him to play then ban him.

I don't know the whole story, but the Stallworth thing was mostly an accident. I think he was driving drunk, and that's part of why it happened, but the guy stepped out in front of him after Stallworth honked the horn and flashed his headlights.. At least that's what I read when it first happened. The DUI of course is on him, the manslaughter was mostly an accident at least it would appear so. I would question why Stallworth was punished so severely, but that's neither here nor there.

I'm with you.. the season can't start soon enough and I really think the Panthers are going places this year. It's kinda foolish to assume that if we had beaten Arizona, we would have gone to the Superbowl since Arizona did, but we certainly could have gone a couple games. Now we have the same team, but better. Dwayne Jarret has matured and stepped his game up, Smith has a chip on his shoulder like always, Peppers is in a contract year and needs to kick butt and hope and pray (knock on wood) we don't have too many injuries. Apparently this year its the Eagles turn to have the injury bug, like 10 players out, two season ending.. OUCH... I'm sure that logic went into signing Vick.

I'm glad monday's game is on TV so we get to watch it, but first preseason game should be a yawn fest depending on if anyone can score on the opening series.

Maybe opening night we can crush a injury ridden Eagles team and start the season off right? Here's hoping.

Third, while he was serving his 23-24 month sentence he missed two whole seasons. So here's what I don't get. If you want to ban him that's fine.. ban him and be done with it.. but if you're going to re-instate him, and they did.. why are you going to add a 4-6 game suspension on top of the two seasons he already was banned for? Oh.. cause the LAW punished him but the league didn't?? As much as I don't like him.. that I think is stupid. If your going to re-instate him, but then suspend him half the season why did you let him back in? If he's in.. let him play. The small suspension the league wants to hand out to him is just to make a statement, embarrass him further and keep Goodall's name in the papers and I think it's unneeded.

I can't say that he's "paid his debt" and that his hands are now clean of what he did.. 2 years may not be enough for that. But according to the courts he has served his time. Is it enough who's to say. I'm not a fan of him or his brother.. they are both criminals.. but "legally" he has been punished.

Granted he has "legally" served his time but the NFL has a code of conduct that each player and coach must followed and Michael Vick did not follow that code of conduct by his actions. Serving time at a Federal Prison is like going to Club Med. It was widely reported he was playing football with the other inmates. Vick embarassed himself, his family, the players, the Falcons and the NFL for his actions and he showed no remorse for what he did. He killed dogs and fought them. He used money that he made as a pro to run this business. Yeah, he didn't play for the last 2 season, so what, he was sitting in prison. When he signed that huge contract, he signed a code of conduct and that was to represent the NFL in a positive light and not to do anything that would represent the NFL, its players, coaches or teams in a negative way, Michael Vick did that in every human way possible. I think Vick being able to come back in the 3rd game of the preseason and the 6th game of the regular season is being fair, Vick should be sitting the whole season and now that is getting that break, he should be thanking Goodell every day for giving a second chance and if he ever screws up, he should be banned for good.

Now that I am off that soap box.

Sorry- but Stallworth bought his way out of most of his sentence thanx to his celebrity status.

Vick got hammered much worse than your "average" citizen would have due to his celebrity.

I appreciate the hot button status of crimes against animals/pets. Hoever- equating them with those on humans has way too much emotional subjectivity invloved.

I am wondering how you can state/equate 18 months in a Federal Penitentiary to 24 days in a local jail with "house arrest". I have known people who were in Federal Prison and Visited. It ain't no Club Med.

Stallworth had not lost any "gametime" as yet. He will lose 2 seasons Vick has already lost 2 seasons and you want to tack on another entire season?

Stallworth's financial loss and payout to the victims family does not come close to what Vick has lost either.

It just does not add up the way you stated it.

Man if Club Med is like a federal pen then they must be going downhill in recent years lmfao

From what i understand it's still an "ALL INCLUSIVE" place to stay!!!

Now we can only hope Farve decides to come back,,,thats the only thing that might trump the Vickness!

You got your wish.. or at least it's being rumored... Will this ever end?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9922912/The-vibe-at-Vikings-camp:-Favre-could-come-back' target="_blank">http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9922912...could-come-back[/post]

I watched some of the interview Vick did with 60 minutes. I do not see how ANYONE could have watched that interview and really thought to them selves boy this guy is really sorry for what he did. The only thing he was sorry for was having to sit in jail.

Well today is the Phins first pre season game, wore my AFC champs shirt, coral Ronnie Brown jersey and my aqua baseball cap in celebration.

And Favre please stay out of the NFL, move on, pretty sure plenty of people are tired of you. I think you are only concerned about yourself and not whichever team you are teasing with the "I may not retire" *edit*.

Oh believe me it's not my wish, i'm not a big Favre fan but he is at least not a Criminal!

On another note, i think this year will be an interesting year, doesn't seem to really be a big "FRONTRUNNER" so to speak.

Well today is the Phins first pre season game, wore my AFC champs shirt, coral Ronnie Brown jersey and my aqua baseball cap in celebration.

And Favre please stay out of the NFL, move on, pretty sure plenty of people are tired of you. I think you are only concerned about yourself and not whichever team you are teasing with the "I may not retire" *edit*.

All blame lies on the Vikings for this latest Favre saga. They've done nothing but bug the *edit* out of him since he quit playing for the Jets. He probably would have stayed retired if not for that. Think about it, you're trying to move on with your life, and you've got an organization throwing money at you, the media all over you, and if what's being said is true, ex-teammates/other players begging you to play with them.

Blaming Favre in this case is blaming the victim.

Lockout next season in the NFL?? The NFLPA President thinks so... No story really other then the quote from the Executive Director, "he is convinced owners will lock players out when the current labor deal expires after next season."

I don't know if there's much merit in this, but they did reject a new collective bargaining agreement.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-n...p&type=lgns

Looking forward to the Panthers game tonight. Don't expect the first string guys to play much, but it will be good to see what our backups can do if we need them. Especially backup QBs just in case something happens to Jake.

but it will be good to see what our backups can do if we need them. Especially backup QBs just in case something happens to Jake.

you know things happen, people fall over piers in sacks, elbows fly into crowbars, you know things. :lol:

It looks like Brett Farve may be returning again just like Jason in Friday the 13th. Ge just keeps coming back. Reports have him on his way to Minny to meet with the boys. I guess he avoided about 3 weeks of training camp this way if he signs. I always thought he'd come in after a chunk of camp was gone.

UPDATE: Just read on USA Today online that Farve's agent says it is a done deal.