The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

^shrugs^ play football...

I think Minny just got better, not a ton better but improved their QB situation. Jackson stunk last year and with how much Peterson did ad Jackson couldnt at least take SOME of the load off his RB he did nothing to secure himself as a starting QB.

Rosenfels....who?

^shrugs^ play football...

I think Minny just got better, not a ton better but improved their QB situation. Jackson stunk last year and with how much Peterson did ad Jackson couldnt at least take SOME of the load off his RB he did nothing to secure himself as a starting QB.

Rosenfels....who?

I agree with it probably does make Minny better. They at least know now who the starting QB is. If Farve had been honest and said "I want to play this season, but I'm not going to come in until midway through training camp", I'd be a little better with this. He's a grown man and can do what he wants, but we all see through it.

God does ever make up his damn mind? I'm guessing Drama was his major in college.

What's in store next year? will he play for the Bears? Lions? maybe go back to Green Bay? retire?(probably not)

We all knew this would happen! :angry:

As much a Farve changes his mind he needs to be sponsored by Tampax!!! :rolleyes:

Yay for my Vikings!!!

Not. But maybe with our run-first offense Favre won't be able to *edit* it up, but rather just manage the game and make the few needed passes. If he can do that, then watch out. If not, then we'll flame out.

Where's all this Favre hate coming from? Is it similar to the Crosby-hate, where the majority comes from the media (in this case, ESPN) reporting every single facet of their life?

Where's all this Favre hate coming from? Is it similar to the Crosby-hate, where the majority comes from the media (in this case, ESPN) reporting every single facet of their life?

The guy has screwed over fans, teams, and the game of football itself. He has put himself, and his interests, over everything else. He thinks he's so innocent or something..."I'm just trying to play as long as I can" or something like that...give me a break.

Brett Favre doesn't play football because he loves the game and wants to stay in it, but because he thinks the game needs him and that the NFL would miss something great if he really left. Like so many star athletes, Brett Favre can't imagine a quiet life that won't have cameras, media, and headlines following his every move. He needs the attention, and doesn't want to realize that football, and its fans, can move on just fine without him. It can be a depressing thing to see happening, but that doesn't make it ok for what Favre and others do by making their retirements/comebacks a continuing personal soap opera.

No player, no matter what they've done in the their respective career, has the right to put themselves above the sport that they've played in.

No, Favre plays football because he loves the game. I can't believe anyone who's watched his career would say the opposite. The man lives football, and he's having a hard time letting it go.

The whole "soap opera" aspect comes directly from the media, who put everything he does on a pedestal, like they do all star athletes. It's got nothing to do with Favre "wanting attention" (really? He seems like that kind of person to you?), and I'd go so far as to say that the less attention he got, the happier he'd be. Unfortunately, when a player of his caliber decides to join a team, it's big news, so a lot of attention is going to be paid.

at 12 mil for one year Id play. I think that had something to do with it. I am sure he wants to play, but I am not sure how well his body will hold up. But I guess he figures he can hold out another year. Gotta feel for the packer fans, that's the knife in the back to them.

I'm sure the fact that the Vikings play Green Bay twice a year had something to do with it. As does Minnesota's run-first offense and Minnesota's O-line isn't the worst in the league. He stayed out because he wasn't sure how many more sacks his body could take, and the O-line should keep those to a minimum.

No, Favre plays football because he loves the game. I can't believe anyone who's watched his career would say the opposite. The man lives football, and he's having a hard time letting it go.

The whole "soap opera" aspect comes directly from the media, who put everything he does on a pedestal, like they do all star athletes. It's got nothing to do with Favre "wanting attention" (really? He seems like that kind of person to you?), and I'd go so far as to say that the less attention he got, the happier he'd be. Unfortunately, when a player of his caliber decides to join a team, it's big news, so a lot of attention is going to be paid.

Having a hard time letting it go doesn't qualify him to do what he's done; no one, not even you, can put together an argument for his drama. So just stop while you're ahead.

And the media hasn't sought out Favre through all this, it's been the other way around. He's retired, everyone has left him alone, and then bang he puts himself right back in the spotlight. Again, there's really no way to defend him, although we all know you'll try.

Out of everyone on this board, I should be the most happy I guess since I'm the lifelong Vikings fan. But Favre has tainted things, and plus I know we're not getting the same QB who I watched for years tear my team's defense apart with his zinging passes and TDs. I actually believe he's gonna suck this season...but we'll see won't we.

When did he actively put himself back in the spotlight? When the Minnesota GM came to his house and begged him to join the team? When the Minnesota players sent him text-messages and email asking him to join? When the media constantly pestered him about the Minnesota rumors?

He's done nothing wrong. He left the Jets and went home. He went and played with the local high school team (I believe it was) and everyone jumps on it, claiming he's practicing for a return. Despite the fact he did that in the off-season, even when he was playing. He went and got surgery to repair his shoulder and it's jumped on, claiming it's for a return. Because clearly, it couldn't have anything to do with him wanting to use his arm without pain for the rest of his life.

He's been hounded since he left the Jets, most of all by the media. You claim it's the opposite, that he's seeking the media attention. Do you honestly believe he went and called everyone to let them know he was getting surgery? He called the local outlet when he started getting the text-messages and emails? No one left him alone when he went home, to believe that is to believe a lie, plain and simple.

Everyones left him alone my butt, your Vikings management have been 3 miles up his butt because your current QB situation was terrifying.

Have I mentioned anything about what my team has done to Favre? Both of you critique my argument based upon the Vikings interaction with Favre, and yet I didn't talk about what team did/has done. Of course Childress and the club tracked him down and if nothing else "helped" him make the decision to come back; I am not arguing that at all. What I am saying is that Favre has abused the situation, and has tarnished his reputation. I don't need to be telling you all this though; just go to any sports website and you'll find blogs, articles, reactions, etc on how Favre is being viewed very negatively for the entire ordeal.

The guy has just lost respect all over the board. Yea sure the Vikes are to blame a bit for this latest turnaround, but Favre still made the decision. And Frog for you to say that Favre has done "nothing wrong" is extremely laughable; it almost makes me want to label you as a Panthers fan who has not watched the Favre situation closely for the last year or so. If the guy hasn't done "anything wrong", then he wouldn't be one of the most disliked people in football/sports right now.

You claimed that Favre has put himself back into the spotlight and that "everyone left him alone", then you backtrack and admit that the Vikings didn't leave him alone?

Favre made the decision because he wanted to play football again. There's nothing wrong with that. No different than what Hasek did when he was contemplating retirement. He retired, felt the desire to play again, unretired, retired again and I believe is actually unretired at the moment and playing. But do you believe that's going to be what people talk about when Hasek is brought up, or is it going to be his dominance in the league for a decade? Same thing with Favre, he's a guy who's spent the majority of his life playing a game he loves and he's having trouble letting it go.

As to why he's "disliked" by people right now, I still blame the media for it. It's overexposure. Mention something enough times and the general public gets sick and tired of hearing about it. I really didn't need to know that Favre had surgery in the off-season or that the Vikings plane was spotted landing in Green Bay this morning. Add to the fact that ESPN's got 3 channels, numerous shows and 24 hours to fill in, Favre was mentioned over and over and over again.

For instance, I watched ESPN for 3 hours yesterday, in which Sportscenter, PTI and Around the Horn was on. In each of those shows, in those 3 hours, only 3 main topics were discussed:

1. Did Tiger choke or did Yang win?

2. Will Bolt beat 9.58 eventually?

3. Brett Favre

I stopped watching, but I'm assuming for the rest of the night, those remained the only things discussed. Overexposure can make you sick and tired of anything and unfairly place the blame on the thing being discussed rather than the figureheads discussing it.

You claimed that Favre has put himself back into the spotlight and that "everyone left him alone", then you backtrack and admit that the Vikings didn't leave him alone?

Favre made the decision because he wanted to play football again. There's nothing wrong with that. No different than what Hasek did when he was contemplating retirement. He retired, felt the desire to play again, unretired, retired again and I believe is actually unretired at the moment and playing. But do you believe that's going to be what people talk about when Hasek is brought up, or is it going to be his dominance in the league for a decade? Same thing with Favre, he's a guy who's spent the majority of his life playing a game he loves and he's having trouble letting it go.

As to why he's "disliked" by people right now, I still blame the media for it. It's overexposure. Mention something enough times and the general public gets sick and tired of hearing about it. I really didn't need to know that Favre had surgery in the off-season or that the Vikings plane was spotted landing in Green Bay this morning. Add to the fact that ESPN's got 3 channels, numerous shows and 24 hours to fill in, Favre was mentioned over and over and over again.

For instance, I watched ESPN for 3 hours yesterday, in which Sportscenter, PTI and Around the Horn was on. In each of those shows, in those 3 hours, only 3 main topics were discussed:

1. Did Tiger choke or did Yang win?

2. Will Bolt beat 9.58 eventually?

3. Brett Favre

I stopped watching, but I'm assuming for the rest of the night, those remained the only things discussed. Overexposure can make you sick and tired of anything and unfairly place the blame on the thing being discussed rather than the figureheads discussing it.

It's all the media's fault? I rank that right up there with "the dog ate my homework".

Yes, we do get overcoverage but that doesn't change the way that Farve has handled all this. He flirted with retirement at the end of the last 3 or 4 seasons with the Packers. He strung the team along way into the summer before he made his decision. The team got tired of his indecision and finally didn't take him back (I don't think media overcoverage affected their decision).

I know it's hard for these guys to basically give up what the've done their entire life. It's who they are. If he wants to play, God bless him. What has occured this summer is an example of where I get tired of this. He could have said, "I'm retiring because I don't want to play for the Jets. If I can work it out with the Vikings, I'll give it a go. By the way, I hate training camp and I won't come in until I absolutely have to". Instead just a couple of weeks ago he said that he wasn't coming out of retirement.

I can't blame media overcoverage on my frustration with Farve.

The Vikings must be overly desperate to pay a washed up future H O F that kind of money after the lousy season he had last year. No way does he deserve that kind of money after his last few years in the NFL.

He just didn't want to lower himself (for the team) and have to go into camp. Now that preseason has started he can make a bigger entrance and get all the limelite . I hope he has the worst year of his career and ends up getting benched!!!

All blame lies on the Vikings for this latest Favre saga. They've done nothing but bug the *edit* out of him since he quit playing for the Jets. He probably would have stayed retired if not for that. Think about it, you're trying to move on with your life, and you've got an organization throwing money at you, the media all over you, and if what's being said is true, ex-teammates/other players begging you to play with them.

Blaming Favre in this case is blaming the victim.

You know for being a victim in all this he sure is making out like a bandit. 12 or 13 million dollars for one year, having a whole franchise thrown at his feet.. a starting QB position with no tryouts (yeah he's a veteran but does that mean he doesnt have to attempt to secure a roster spot on a team he's never played for?)

Even if it is all the vikings fault like you say, it makes Farve look like the greediest chump on the planet... "I'm done.. I'm not playing.. I promised my daughter... I'm out.. I'm done... Oh.. did you say 13 million dollars? Hey! Sign me up!!!"

Hey.. now that Tavaris Jackson is on the chopping block maybe the Panthers can finally get a decent backup QB?? Of course we won't pick him up.. we never make the moves that make sense.

If he stays with the Vikings for 3 or 4 years that's fine.. but what happens when he plays his one year, they miss the playoffs and he "retires" again.. why did he even bother?

Even if it is all the vikings fault like you say, it makes Farve look like the greediest chump on the planet... "I'm done.. I'm not playing.. I promised my daughter... I'm out.. I'm done... Oh.. did you say 13 million dollars? Hey! Sign me up!!!"

No the greediest chump on the planet award goes to players who have not proved them selves like that Curry kid from Wake Forest. There needs to be a set salary schedule players fall in line to. For all it's faults the NBA does have that right, depending on where they are drafted, players know how much they are going to make.

As far as the Favre bashing goes...Why does any fan outside the Vikings, Packers or NFC North really even care?

It's all the media's fault? I rank that right up there with "the dog ate my homework".

Yes, we do get overcoverage but that doesn't change the way that Farve has handled all this. He flirted with retirement at the end of the last 3 or 4 seasons with the Packers. He strung the team along way into the summer before he made his decision. The team got tired of his indecision and finally didn't take him back (I don't think media overcoverage affected their decision).

I know it's hard for these guys to basically give up what the've done their entire life. It's who they are. If he wants to play, God bless him. What has occured this summer is an example of where I get tired of this. He could have said, "I'm retiring because I don't want to play for the Jets. If I can work it out with the Vikings, I'll give it a go. By the way, I hate training camp and I won't come in until I absolutely have to". Instead just a couple of weeks ago he said that he wasn't coming out of retirement.

I can't blame media overcoverage on my frustration with Farve.

Bingo, SD, and you're not alone with the dislike of Favre. He's hated right now because of his back and forth attitude, and his selfish ego over playing further. Frog doesn't get it, but it's been all over the sports landscape now for past year or so, and has NOTHING to do with the media.

But let me stop now. Arguing with certain people on this board is just fruitless.

Ok this is annoying, please Favre go away. You could have gone down as one of the best QBs in history with a good record intact, but now you're gonna go down as a selfish quarterback who can't make up his mind. Though I believe even though you may be the worst quarterback in the NFC you will still get a pro bowl nomination just like last season.