The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Bingo, SD, and you're not alone with the dislike of Favre. He's hated right now because of his back and forth attitude, and his selfish ego over playing further. Frog doesn't get it, but it's been all over the sports landscape now for past year or so, and has NOTHING to do with the media.

But let me stop now. Arguing with certain people on this board is just fruitless.

Hate is such a strong word. As far as the "arguing" on this board goes...too many people get all bent out of shape and feel attacked because someone else does not see eye to eye with them.

People just need to let Brett Farve be Brett Farve and chill. Now if he's chillin with the Boston Redsox getting some performance enhancing drugs...then we got a problem.

Ok this is annoying, please Favre go away. You could have gone down as one of the best QBs in history with a good record intact, but now you're gonna go down as a selfish quarterback who can't make up his mind. Though I believe even though you may be the worst quarterback in the NFC you will still get a pro bowl nomination just like last season.

Can you tell me who Unitas, Montana and Namath finished thier careers with without looking it up? I bet when you initally think about it you think of thier original teams and have absolutely no clue who the teams they spent thier final 2 seasons with were.

Same thing for Favre in 10 years. No one's gonna have a clue and no one's going to care.

Do you think fans cared then? Oh hell yea I'm sure. However Unitas played their was no ESPN, I dont think anyway? No way to fuel a national fire of hatred towards a man. So I garuntee the only people who were upset were Baltimore Colts fans and NOT the entire nation. Now with the widespread media at your face at everytime throwing Farve at you people are painstakingly irritated.

Media has nothing to do with this? My left butt cheek.

edit: Though I quoted your post, the second paragraph was geared more for everyone and not directed at you.

Can you tell me who Unitas, Montana and Namath finished thier careers with without looking it up?

I bet when you initally think about it you think of thier original teams and have absolutely no clue who the teams they spent thier final 2 seasons with were.

Same thing for Favre in 10 years. No one's gonna have a clue and no one's going to care.

Do you think fans cared then? Oh hell yea I'm sure. However Unitas played their was no ESPN, I dont think anyway? No way to fuel a national fire of hatred towards a man. So I garuntee the only people who were upset were Baltimore Colts fans and NOT the entire nation. Now with the widespread media at your face at everytime throwing Farve at you people are painstakingly irritated.

edit: Though I quoted your post, the second paragraph was geared more for everyone and not directed at you.

Lets see if i have any brain cells left,,Unitas-Chargers

Montana-Chiefs

Namath-49's

Lets see if i have any brain cells left,,Unitas-Chargers

Montana-Chiefs

Namath-49's

2 outta 3 not bad. Namath finished with the Rams.

He got really finished to, torn this and that broken this and that.

Can you tell me who Unitas, Montana and Namath finished thier careers with without looking it up? I bet when you initally think about it you think of thier original teams and have absolutely no clue who the teams they spent thier final 2 seasons with were.

Copied straight out of the USA Today (I know, evil media)

Brett Favre has teetered on the brink

How much of that would you even know about if it wasn't for the media.

How much of that could you even recall on your own without a media source to pick it up from?

How much of that would you even know about if it wasn't for the media.

How much of that could you even recall on your own without a media source to pick it up from?

superdave gets tired of ramming his head into a brick wall. Yes, it's all the media's fault.

So my Cleveland Browns are going to win the game that rhyms with *edit*this year! I would not want the Hurricanes to get a lawsuit for "publishing" the name of the championship game with out the expressed written consent of the National Football League.

disclaimer: during the making of this post no *edit* were harmed in anyway

LOL! NO FECES WORDS ALLOWED OF ANY KIND!

While the media had nothing to do with Favre's leaving of the Packers, you'll find another culprit in that instance. Favre was weighing with a decision to retire or to stay, something you'll find most older players do in the off-season. And generally, when you make a decision that's going to affect the rest of your life, you want to take some time to look at the pros/cons, see the short-term and long-term effects, etc. It's not a decision that can be made under a deadline. Yet, that's what the Packer's GM did. He gave Favre a deadline, and when the deadline passed, washed his hands of him.

Which is fine, if not a little uncouth. It's his right to do so. However, clearly Favre wanted to (and probably still wants to) end his career as a Packer. You spend that kind of time in an organization, and have the organization and fanbase treat you so well, you want to end your career there. The deadline passed, and Favre wanted to play, so he went to the Jets. The blame for Favre leaving the Packers lies mostly with Thompson, and at the time, you'd be hardpressed to find a Packer fan that believed otherwise.

Of course, a couple years later, I'm sure the opposite sentiment is being portrayed, especially after signing with the Vikings. The fanbase no doubt feels betrayed, and that (along with the overexposure) has probably made him PE #1 over there. Yet apparently they care enough about Favre that they demanded his number be retired. Funny how that works out.

While the media had nothing to do with Favre's leaving of the Packers, you'll find another culprit in that instance. Favre was weighing with a decision to retire or to stay, something you'll find most older players do in the off-season. And generally, when you make a decision that's going to affect the rest of your life, you want to take some time to look at the pros/cons, see the short-term and long-term effects, etc. It's not a decision that can be made under a deadline. Yet, that's what the Packer's GM did. He gave Favre a deadline, and when the deadline passed, washed his hands of him.

Which is fine, if not a little uncouth. It's his right to do so. However, clearly Favre wanted to (and probably still wants to) end his career as a Packer. You spend that kind of time in an organization, and have the organization and fanbase treat you so well, you want to end your career there. The deadline passed, and Favre wanted to play, so he went to the Jets. The blame for Favre leaving the Packers lies mostly with Thompson, and at the time, you'd be hardpressed to find a Packer fan that believed otherwise.

Of course, a couple years later, I'm sure the opposite sentiment is being portrayed, especially after signing with the Vikings. The fanbase no doubt feels betrayed, and that (along with the overexposure) has probably made him PE #1 over there. Yet apparently they care enough about Favre that they demanded his number be retired. Funny how that works out.

I do not see him signing a "deal" to be able to retire as a Packer eaither.

Vick out, Plaxico in for 2 years.

Not sure how I feel about it, alot of people carry a gun. I dunno how it merits 2 years, I could understand 6 months or something but 2 years.

The DA was really gunning for him to.

Still makes me scratch my head how Stallworth only gets 28 days for killing someone.

Vick out, Plaxico in for 2 years.

Not sure how I feel about it, alot of people carry a gun. I dunno how it merits 2 years, I could understand 6 months or something but 2 years.

The DA was really gunning for him to.

Still makes me scratch my head how Stallworth only gets 28 days for killing someone.

Gun laws are very strict in NY and he was a high profile example.

In Florida, they have to prove that the alcohol was the cause of the accident and being under the influence of itself doesn't prove that. Guy ran out in front of him. Doesn't make it right, but by Florida law, the accident would have probably happened anyway which rules out proving that alcohol caused it.

Gun laws are very strict in NY and he was a high profile example.

In Florida, they have to prove that the alcohol was the cause of the accident and being under the influence of itself doesn't prove that. Guy ran out in front of him. Doesn't make it right, but by Florida law, the accident would have probably happened anyway which rules out proving that alcohol caused it.

It as Stallworths $$$ that got him this reduced sentence. The victims family agreed and that was that. No one ended up having to prove anything.

It as Stallworths $$$ that got him this reduced sentence. The victims family agreed and that was that. No one ended up having to prove anything.

That played a big part in it, but I heard a lawyer on the radio talking about it the other day explaining that the prosecution would have had a tough case based on Florida law. For what it's worth.

Let's get back to hatin' on Farve. My frustration with him has been how each year he has drug out this with the Packers in the past more so than his waivering this season (by the way, I'm not a Packer fan). The team has to go into the draft and into free agency with a plan. Part of that plan is who will be the quarterback. After he had strung them along for the last couple of years and then come in eventually, they got tired of not having a clue who their starting QB was going to be in the off season. Yes, he should have been allowed some time to think about things, but he still needed to come to a decision in a reasonable amount of time so the team can plan and what position is more important than QB?

Let's do the same scenario with Brind a'mour. Supposed at the end of every season he contemplated retirement but wouldn't make his decision until about the last week of August. This would be after the draft and after the free agents had all been scooped up. What does that do to the GM's ability to look for a free agent with the money that would free up or even plan about who to sign. Then say Brindy retires and J.R. spends the money elsewhere and brings in another player. Brindy then decides to un-retire. There is your Farve analogy.

I'm done arguing Farve I took your head bashing as a sign of topic being over :P

I am not coming out of retirement on that subject however Frogg will keep going with you I'm sure.

I'm done arguing Farve I took your head bashing as a sign of topic being over :P

I am not coming out of retirement on that subject however Frogg will keep going with you I'm sure.

I like the pain. I thought I might catch you not looking.

While I am not a huge fan of Burris..this just seems a little rediculous for him to have to serve 2 years for shooting him self? Yeah there are laws...but they are mainly to keep criminals from walking around with guns(though they would probably know to keep the safety on)

I'd be surprised if we ever see this guy in an NFL uni ever again. He is not a talent such as Michael Vick...I wonder if he'll actually do hard time or club med?

While I am not a huge fan of Burris..this just seems a little rediculous for him to have to serve 2 years for shooting him self? Yeah there are laws...but they are mainly to keep criminals from walking around with guns(though they would probably know to keep the safety on)

I'd be surprised if we ever see this guy in an NFL uni ever again. He is not a talent such as Michael Vick...I wonder if he'll actually do hard time or club med?

By definition criminals are people who break laws. PB was "walking around with a gun" and breaking a hard law in NY with mandatory sentencing. End of story. Laws are for all of us, not just "criminals".

As far as the talent statement. I am not of the opinion Vick is more talented at all. He sure isn't a top 20 quarterback. If he had to run exclusively he would get killed.

This whole "Club Med" thing is a joke. You get placed inside a locked facility where someone else makes the rules and it is a prison. Ain't no CLub Med about it. All the time is hard. Some is just harder than others.

By definition criminals are people who break laws. PB was "walking around with a gun" and breaking a hard law in NY with mandatory sentencing. End of story. Laws are for all of us, not just "criminals".

As far as the talent statement. I am not of the opinion Vick is more talented at all. He sure isn't a top 20 quarterback. If he had to run exclusively he would get killed.

This whole "Club Med" thing is a joke. You get placed inside a locked facility where someone else makes the rules and it is a prison. Ain't no CLub Med about it. All the time is hard. Some is just harder than others.

I guess someone would have to see if they took it easy on a "nobody" prior to the Burris incident yet after the stiffer penalty came into play. Knowing the size and population of NY, I'd have to say it is a really good possibility.

A good example of the courts making an example out of a person with a high public status to scare the masses.

Well if it was supposed to scare anyone it didnt do a good job. I mean a citizen had a AR-15 at the one of the hearings on health reform that the President recently did.

You can't shoot yourself in the leg but you CAN be within so many of the President with a assault rifle. Also he was charged with nothing and it was completley legal as long as the gun wasn't concealed. Right....

Late getting in this one... First of all, Frog is correct in the media playing a role in this entire fiasco. But that's about all I agree with him on:

Favre was weighing with a decision to retire or to stay, something you'll find most older players do in the off-season. And generally, when you make a decision that's going to affect the rest of your life, you want to take some time to look at the pros/cons, see the short-term and long-term effects, etc. It's not a decision that can be made under a deadline. Yet, that's what the Packer's GM did. He gave Favre a deadline, and when the deadline passed, washed his hands of him.

He'd had THE ENTIRE OFFSEASON!![/post] It wasn't like the Packers front office said, "Brett, we know this is a big decision, but we need to know something in 48 hours." Heaven forbid a company (in this case, a football team) be able to plan their staffing and strategy with ample time to allocate their resources as they see fit.

Does anyone else remember the press conference he called at his golf tournament down in Mississippi? I believe this was 2006. The man called a press conference to announce that he HAD NO ANNOUNCEMENT!

But yeah, Favre's the innocent victim in this whole ordeal. Shame on the media for picking on him, and the AUDACITY of the Packers fans for feeling the way they do. The man was Paul Friggin Bunyan to the Cheeseheads, and because he didn't like the pedastal they put him on - wasn't perfectly circular or wasn't tall enough or whatever - he knocked it down and went to go build his own. Which IS his prerogative... but that doesn't make him any less of an arrogant primadonna.

Well if it was supposed to scare anyone it didnt do a good job. I mean a citizen had a AR-15 at the one of the hearings on health reform that the President recently did.

Exactly my point. This was not aaainst the law in that state. Burris violated the State law of New York. No reason for a citizen to be scared as long as they stay within their rights.

The thing about the Burris situation is that if he needed to actually use (or even pull out) the gun he was illegaly taking with him, he would have ended up in trouble anyway. Get a bodyguard or stay home.