The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Pats/Redskins tonight, anyone else care besides me?

I don't really care about either team, but lack of any other television options, boredom and love of football, I'll watch it. LOL

I do have Sammy Morris (NE) on my fantasy team, but behind Maurice Jones-Drew and Kevin Smith, he's pretty much a backup. Smith is hurt, but Morris is hurt too.. if he plays tonight at least I'll get to see if he'll do in case Smith stays hurt. There's still some decent RBs left in my league, so if he doesn't impress me I may swap him for someone else even if just as a third/backup.

I don't really care about either team, but lack of any other television options, boredom and love of football, I'll watch it. LOL

I do have Sammy Morris (NE) on my fantasy team, but behind Maurice Jones-Drew and Kevin Smith, he's pretty much a backup. Smith is hurt, but Morris is hurt too.. if he plays tonight at least I'll get to see if he'll do in case Smith stays hurt. There's still some decent RBs left in my league, so if he doesn't impress me I may swap him for someone else even if just as a third/backup.

I would keep Morris.

I would keep Morris.

I probably will, I dropped one of my wide receivers, don't really need 6 and picked up Leon Washington from the Jets. Turns out both Drew and Smith have a bye week the same week (along with like 3 other guys.. half my roster drops out that week)...

Morris should be the starter but he hasnt practiced. As tight lipped as the Patriots are about the injuries, he could have a broken leg, or they could be sitting him to rest him and no one knows. (Obviously if he had a broken leg we would know, but point is we dont know how banged up he is).

I'm ready for the regular season... the Panthers have a tough row to hoe this year with games vs the Pats, Giants, Cowboys and Cards (All on the road no less). Of course you gotta run the NFC gauntlet to make the superbowl anyway, so you might as well start early. Week 3 @ Dallas on Monday night will be a big tester. Not that Philly and Atlanta are pushovers. At least two national spotlight games, MNF @ Dallas, and Thursday night home vs Miami we need to shine. So far we haven't looked up to the task..something needs to change.

So I am watching the Bears/Broncos game and with about 6:30 left in the 3rd. Alex Brown for the Bears hits the QB a split second after he throws the ball and gets called for roughing the QB.

Did anyone else see that? If the NFL is going to call *edit* like that...why watch?

I think the people IN Chicago can hear the Jay Cutler booing FROM Denver.. wow that's brutal. Don't leave that team in a tiff, they will hate you forever.

I think the people IN Chicago can hear the Jay Cutler booing FROM Denver.. wow that's brutal. Don't leave that team in a tiff, they will hate you forever.

Denver and their mascot John Elway can go to HE-double hockey sticks. Jay Cutler was smart to get out of there....that coach is a...

So I am watching the Bears/Broncos game and with about 6:30 left in the 3rd. Alex Brown for the Bears hits the QB a split second after he throws the ball and gets called for roughing the QB.

Did anyone else see that? If the NFL is going to call *edit* like that...why watch?

They've been blowing a lot of stuff... During the Panther's game with the out-of-bounds illegal touching debacle, first they said it was an illegal touch, which is was and gave us the 5 yard penalty to make it third and 16... then Baltimore says they want to decline the penalty and make it fourth down... then they want to say it was an incomplete pass... and it took a challenge from Coach Fox and a 10 minute review to determine if it was an illegal touching penalty it had to be a COMPLETE pass, or there was no penalty for illegal touching.. he has to CATCH IT! Finally they take it back to 3rd and 16, we throw an incomplete pass and kick a FG but it took 20 minutes to sort it all out.

Some of the calls so far in the preseason make no sense at all. Guys getting called for the bump at the line of scrimmage for a 5 yard penalty but later the same play when they tackle each other there's not a call for pass interference. I've seen a lot of illegal use of hands calls that probably should have been pass interference.

They do baby the QBs a bit too much... they have a penalty for touching the QB's helmet.. not a vicious hit, just a hand to the helmet is a call... I don't want anyone to get hurt, but God forbid a QB dirty his pants up a little by taking a hit.

You know the refs are too predictable and have too much control when teams have plays specifically designed to pick up a pass interference call. But if the systems there.. use it!

I can see why they baby them though, if a QB goes out you go from contender to playoff hopeful in most circumstances. Any other position doesnt matter nearly as much and teams used to take a ton of liberities on QB's.

Any other position is prepared to take a hit, QB has no idea and is very vulnerable to a hit while throwing and after throwing. What doesnt look like a big hit to you on TV hurts alot more then you give it credit for. Hands to head, if he's coming full bore and gets his hand on the helmet he can jerk the QB's neck like that.

Is .5 of a second a delayed hit? No, but that position needs hardcore rules. Theres no reason anyone should leave the league sounding like Ali.

I can see why they baby them though, if a QB goes out you go from contender to playoff hopeful in most circumstances. Any other position doesnt matter nearly as much and teams used to take a ton of liberities on QB's.

Any other position is prepared to take a hit, QB has no idea and is very vulnerable to a hit while throwing and after throwing. What doesnt look like a big hit to you on TV hurts alot more then you give it credit for. Hands to head if he's coming full bore and hit gets his hand on the helmet he can jerk the QB's neck like that.

Is .5 of a second a delayed hit? No, but that position needs hardcore rules. Theres no reason anyone should leave the league sounding like Ali.

I can give you that... especially blind side from behind hits... those are brutal and can cause injury..

What I think they could do without is when a QB is flushed out of the pocket about to get sack has a guy 2 inches in front of his face, he flips the ball out of bounds and the guy pushes him with his hands, not lays a shoulder into him, the QB takes a seat on his butt and then that gets call roughing. What would have been either a sack or an incomplete pass due to good defense becomes a free first down. Should the defenseive guy whoa up? Maybe, but if the linebacker already has his hands on the QB, trying to tackle him for the sack, and he flips the ball out on the way down and he finishes the tackle, that's not roughing the passer, it ought to be a sack.. (sometimes it will be intentional grounding).

Several seconds after a throw... or when a receiver is running the ball, and the QB and lineman are just kinda standing there, and someone lays a hit by all means call it cause that is just LATE... But then, that's not even roughing the passer, that's really unsportsmanlike.. but they are both 15 yards and first down so it can go either way.

I'm all for protecting the players, I don't want to see anyone get hurt.. heck us Panther fans know first hand what its like to lose a QB and not have a decent backup, but when they throw the flag on every single play it gets old... 5 on the defense... 5 on the offense... 5 on the defense.. 5 on the offense.. 10 on the offense... the ball never moves.

Well alot of the reason people get so mad at hockey reffing is we give the officials alot of discrepancies. NFL people are usually happy with the officiating because alot of the rules are very black and white. If you touch the QB it doesnt matter how you touch him, it's a penalty. If a DB touches a WR and doesnt go for the ball it's interference, those things dont change and usually but not all the time people agree. At least far, far, far more then hockey. Hockey you never know when a hook will be called, will this hook do it...will this next hook do it. Football if a guy touches the QB it's a penalty.

I think if you add your discrepancies to the rule you'll see stuff being called/not being called that should be called rather then a plain and simple this is the penalty if you violate it your paying the price.

I guess it's whatever you prefer, I prefer the NFL's black and white approach to the NHL's whenever they want to call it.

I guess it's whatever you prefer, I prefer the NFL's black and white approach to the NHL's whenever they want to call it.

Can't argue with this at all.. you nailed this one on the head...

Hopefully a lot of the ticky tacky offsides/false starts kind of stuff will work it self out in the regular season the guys won't jump so much. You're right that that's on the players not to do it cause it will get called every single time.

I'll have to agree with you there...the NFL will fine/suspend even if you don't get busted on the field. The NHL..not so much.

Though when you are dealing with such a "prissy" "I'm vulnerable" position like a quaterback...D-Line has got to be one of the toughest positions. Knowing when the hold up and when to go has got to be tough.

How do you give up THAT play, from 87 yards out, with a half minute left?
It's the Bengals.  I called it as soon as they waved off that INT.  I said "They gave them the freebie, now they're going to get the 80 yard TD pass"

And sure enough.  Love my Bengals.

Survived the first week of my cut-throat pool (pick one winner of a Sunday game each week; can't pick the same team twice; if my picked team loses I'm out)....  I took the Saints yesterday....  Games I'm considering next week -

HOU @ TEN, STL @ WAS, TB @ BUF, CLE @ DEN

Prolly going to go with the deadskins next week....

[quote name='TarheelMike wrote:

fallen_apostle']Peterson 1-0. Got the job done today v. the Browns.

I like it.

Fixed. 

Peterson definitely was the star of that game, but Favre didn't have a terrible game himself.  There were certainly QBs yesterday that would have killed for the game Favre had.  Delhomme should have that game on repeat for the next week, as that's how you manage the ball.  Make passes when you need to, but for the most part, hand it off and let your RB do the job.

[quote name='IceFrog999 wrote:

TarheelMike wrote:

fallen_apostle']Peterson 1-0. Got the job done today v. the Browns.

I like it.

Fixed. 

Peterson definitely was the star of that game, but Favre didn't have a terrible game himself.  There were certainly QBs yesterday that would have killed for the game Favre had.  Delhomme should have that game on repeat for the next week, as that's how you manage the ball.  Make passes when you need to, but for the most part, hand it off and let your RB do the job.

I tried to support Delhomme on the basic assumption that another 5 turnover day like the Arizona game, would never happen again and he would do good things for us.  *Sigh*.. So much for that.  I think the most disturbing part, is there is never a quarterback controversy or even competition at Carolina.  Delhomme played like crud in the preseason, McCown was "eh"... Moore played really well in the preseason, and yet Delhomme is the starter for apparently no reason.  And I'm sure he will be back next week too, unlike another QB who would get benched, not start the next game, and not come back in until the back up struggled.  Of course McCown didn't do so well himself, at least 1 pick and a couple off defenders fingertips. I missed the part where apparently McCown got hurt and Delhomme came back, and threw another pick, saw that at halftime of the next game.. I guess when it's 31-10 and the offense is only on the field for one play which is a turnover its hard to notice who the QB was for that one play.

I got plastered on my facebook fantasy team.. my opponent had Adrian Peterson (200+ yards, 3 TDs 42 fantasy points) and the Philly defense (5 sacks, 5 ints, 2 fumbles and a def TD, 29 fantasy points).

I should win my Yahoo fantasy this week though, which is a much better team anyway, my FB team is not good.  I have philip rivers left, and he has nate keading left, i'm assuming a QB will get more points then a kicker. Find out tonight. :)  If it was a strong team I'd worry about him kicking a bunch of field goals, but its the Raiders.. Rivers should have a field day.