The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Thank you Slapper, glad you finally showed up. I was wondering if Gutierrez would be back since he also knows the offense and the playbook. Let Cassel and Gutierrez battle for the starting roll, imo. Listening to all the player comments, they all say that its Matt's team now.

Sorry to disagree with slapper but Simms is an NFL QB who led his team to the playoffs

and then ruptured his spleen. Then TB got Garcia and he was out.

Simms was a much better college QB. I dont get all the love for Cassel. Have

you watched him play that much. He is not good. Maybe he proves me wrong

but I feel that the Pats will not do much under him. Gutirrez is even worse than Cassel.

In the long run the kid will be better than both of them, but not right now.

Just my take, does not mean I am right, just my humble opinon. ;)

Now Shawn Merriman is out for the season... pretty hard to sympathize with him though when he knew full well he had two torn ligaments in his knee. I know the doctors cleared him to play, but that just seems stupid to me. Now the injuries are worse obviously or he wouldnt have stopped playing.. he could have messed himself up really bad.. he might never play again, just so he could play one more game before career ending surgery? Yeah, I know, knee injuries arent usually that bad, guys usually have multiple surgeries before they have to hang it up, but ya never know how bad it could be.

Sorry to disagree with slapper but Simms is an NFL QB who led his team to the playoffs

and then ruptured his spleen. Then TB got Garcia and he was out.

Simms was a much better college QB. I dont get all the love for Cassel. Have

you watched him play that much. He is not good. Maybe he proves me wrong

but I feel that the Pats will not do much under him. Gutirrez is even worse than Cassel.

In the long run the kid will be better than both of them, but not right now.

Just my take, does not mean I am right, just my humble opinon. ;)

I hear what you're saying Medford, Simms was a much better college QB, Cassel never started a game in college. I have watched Cassel during preseason, but I not a big believer in judging a QB in preseason alone, for the mere fact that there is no game planning for the opponents defense. From what I'm hearing though, Simms hasn't been the same since the spleen injury. I'm on the Cassel bandwagon because he's had all that time under Brady and if he is ever gonna prove his worth as a member of the team, the time is now. He knows all the nuances of the offense and now it's time to see if he can execute. I think his knowledge of the system makes him the best candidate at this point. I do know one thing, I'm looking forward to seeing the game on Sunday, and hoping to see the Jets go down at home.

Ugh, Brady has a torn MCL and ACL. Isnt that what Justin Williams or Brind'Amour had last season too? Seems to me that an elite athlete can repair and rehab this injury faster than the average human so Im looking forward to getting Brady ready to go for next season. At least he has plenty of time now for the foot to heal 100%.

Im also excited to see what Matt Cassel can do Sunday now that he's had a week to prepare correctly. I have no expectations so there's only one way to go..up. Jets will be tough but I think the Pat's defense will rally for Cassel and make Favre's day miserable. Thats the story Im sticking to.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8548930?MSNHPHMA

It seems Tom Brady's injury was every bit as bad as it looked.

The New England Patriots star suffered a torn ACL and MCL in his left knee, the Boston Globe reported Wednesday on its Web site, citing unnamed sources. The MRI, which was performed Monday, did not show any damage to other knee ligaments and no torn cartilage, the newspaper said.

According to the report, the typical course of action is to wait for the MCL tear to heal — a process that generally takes 4-6 weeks — and then to perform ACL reconstruction surgery. It usually takes 6-9 months to rehab from that surgery, which means Brady could theoretically be ready to go when training camps begin in July.

Ravens-Texans game postponed; Bengals also affected

HOUSTON-- Damage caused by Hurricane Ike will likely lead to the postponement of Monday night's NFL game at Reliant Stadium between the visiting Baltimore Ravens and the Houston Texans.

The storm tore chunks off the stadium's retractable roof and the damage can't be fixed in time to host the game, said Shea Guinn, the president and general manager of Reliant Park.

"There is no way this stadium will host a game on Monday night," Guinn said Saturday. "There are parts of the roof that are completely gone."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Vikes lost. Terrible fashion. We don't have enough offense to win games this year. AD ran all over the Colts, and yet because there is no passing game we could not score touchdowns, just FGs. FG's won't beat the Colts. Defense was stellar as well...just can't do it all alone.

I laugh at the thought of some people thinking we were Super Bowl contenders. T. Jackson, by himself, makes it preposterous.

No comments on the Chargers getting hosed in Denver? That blown fumble call on Cutler down at the goal line is one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I mean, Cutler lost the ball before he even began to come back to throw it. Blown whistle or not, you GOTTA reverse that. HORRIBLE call, and if I'm the Chargers, I'm protesting that one.

Though, credit Shanahan for going for the win, since he was playing with house money. I was half expecting the refs to give Chambers that catch on the 35 as a makeup call. It's the least they could've done after forcibly prying the game out of San Diego's hands with a crowbar and mace.

No comments on the Chargers getting hosed in Denver?

Wait till Medford shows up ;)

Titans 2-0!....granted not against good teams (well jags are pretty good), this team is all defense and QB's worst nightmare.

No comments on the Chargers getting hosed in Denver? That blown fumble call on Cutler down at the goal line is one of the worst calls I've ever seen. I mean, Cutler lost the ball before he even began to come back to throw it. Blown whistle or not, you GOTTA reverse that. HORRIBLE call, and if I'm the Chargers, I'm protesting that one.

Though, credit Shanahan for going for the win, since he was playing with house money. I was half expecting the refs to give Chambers that catch on the 35 as a makeup call. It's the least they could've done after forcibly prying the game out of San Diego's hands with a crowbar and mace.

Terrible call, but I couldn't care less. :P

"I don't think there is one person in my face with this microphone that picked us to win," said Moss. "I'm going to end [my interview this way]: The New England Patriots [are] 2-0. We got one in the division, so all you haters keep hating. We're coming."

"I looked at the pictures on the sidelines and there were some opportunities for some big plays," said Favre. "That falls back on me. We didn't score enough points, obviously. Someone is blamed on it, and I think that goes to our whole offense. There were plays to be made, and it just wasn't made."

Life is status quo in Jets land, as it should be. :D

The great BRETT FAVRE just got beaten by a guy who hadn't started a game since high school. When ESPN 50 does their 50 greatest upsets in 2039, this game will SURELY be near the top of the list.

And meanwhile, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers are 2-0 after that absurd finish in Detroit yesterday that saw the Packers blow a 21-0 lead, fall behind 25-24 with 7 minutes left, go back ahead with a FG... and then intercept THREE straight Jon Kitna passes, the last two taken back for TD's to win running away 49-25.

I was semi-hopeful with the Dolphins ability to hang with the BRETTS last week. All of that false hope went out the window by allowing the Cardinals to blow you out in week 2. What a disgrace. I think Anquan Boldin is still running around uncovered right this minute.

Philly @ Dallas tonight... SHOULD BE A GOOD ONE!

Wait....I'm supposed to be surprised the Pats beat the Jets? I know Brady is good, but even without him, they should still beat the jets, come on.

If they beat a top-tier team I'd be really impressed, but I definitely had the Pats beating the Jets , they have better receivers, better O-line, and I guess the defense is pretty equal. Ground attack is the only thing that really favored the Jets, but not enough to do damage.

See, that's what i didn't understand at ALL on this game and for the Patriots doomsayers. So what, the Pats lose Brady. They're STILL better at EVERY other position on the field than 85% of the league. I think they still go 12-4 and enter the playoffs with a bye. But apparently for Boston homers like Bill Simmons, that's not good enough:

Note to everyone trying to talk themselves into the Matt Cassel era (including three of my friends): Just stop it. Stop. Stop right now. Even if the Patriots finish 10-6 and 11-5 and make the playoffs -- and I think there's a good chance -- there will come a point when the Weak Link QB (whether it's Cassel or rookie Kevin O'Connell) has to make a few plays, on the road, in either Pittsburgh, Jacksonvillle, Tennessee, San Diego or even (gulp) the Meadowlands in January. And that's not happening. So stop. Please.

I love how 10-6 or 11-5 and a playoff berth is such a bad thing. It's THIS sense of entitlement that will have the nation cheering for the Yankees against the Red Sox within five years if things don't change.

It seems the Patriots and Red Sox have the largest following of bandwagon fans.

They also have the largest following of people who hate them. Myself not included.

I was disappointed in the Steelers last night. Specifically in the fact that I don't think they should continually be running plays when soooo much more get accomplished when they let Big Ben just throw the ball. It was much too close of a game last night for my liking, but I'm glad they won.

See, that's what i didn't understand at ALL on this game and for the Patriots doomsayers. So what, the Pats lose Brady. They're STILL better at EVERY other position on the field than 85% of the league. I think they still go 12-4 and enter the playoffs with a bye. But apparently for Boston homers like http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/080912' target="_blank">Bill Simmons[/post], that's not good enough:

I love how 10-6 or 11-5 and a playoff berth is such a bad thing. It's THIS sense of entitlement that will have the nation cheering for the Yankees against the Red Sox within five years if things don't change.

Is it really a surprise though? You win 3 super bowls in a row or 3 in 4 years or whatever it was, and get picked every year to be in the next superbowl, even if they go 15-1, if they lose to (insert crappy team here) in the first round of the playoffs it will be "the worst season ever"...

As a Panthers fan will I take 11-5 and a playoff berth HECK YEAH!! Even as a wildcard, I dont care.. once you are in the post season anything can happen and any team can win.. Panthers proved that with the improbable superbowl run in 03 (which we lost to the Pats, but only by 3 points) and the Canes in 02 and 06 with thier deep playoff runs.. none of those three teams were ranked #1, although in 06 Canes were #2 in the East.

They also have the largest following of people who hate them. Myself not included.

Amen. I think I'll stay out of this now. ;)

Amen, THM. I actually wrote Bill Simmons about this...how he (and the rest of Patriots nation) were crying over Tom Brady (and how every ****ing sports network covered it) acting like it was the end of the world and living in it just couldn't go on. I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? The Boston area has the Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots that all have won championships recently and yet because of ONE PERSON they crumble down and act like the hand of Fate has betrayed them???

LOL. Go to Chicago my friends. Honestly the New England area has been BLESSED the past few years...hell if they don't win ANYTHING else for fifty years they should still be satisfied. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing from these "fans." I thought to myself how ungrateful could they be?

No offense TSA...just speakin' my mind here.

Amen, THM. I actually wrote Bill Simmons about this...how he (and the rest of Patriots nation) were crying over Tom Brady (and how every ****ing sports network covered it) acting like it was the end of the world and living in it just couldn't go on. I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!? The Boston area has the Red Sox, Celtics, and Patriots that all have won championships recently and yet because of ONE PERSON they crumble down and act like the hand of Fate has betrayed them???

LOL. Go to Chicago my friends. Honestly the New England area has been BLESSED the past few years...hell if they don't win ANYTHING else for fifty years they should still be satisfied. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing from these "fans." I thought to myself how ungrateful could they be?

No offense TSA...just speakin' my mind here.

My uncle is a Cubs fan and is still suffering since 1969. For him I hope the Cubs win the World Series as I have been happy

with LA in the 80s and the Sox recently.

Bill Simmons is part of the reason why I cant stand the Pats fans. Their fans are the most obnoxious (save for a few like TSA and others) in the world. and BB is another reason why. He is a self effaccing (sp) jerk and always will be.

All day I have hear how SD got screwed and Denver was lucky. the tuck rule was just as bad as what SD got and they

say "it was not different it was a rule, right" :rolleyes:

I cant wait for Oct 20th. I actully think my team has a chance against Gods team. We shall see.

on a side note, the Pats as a team are impressive. I just cant stand the fans or Bellicheck. The team

has done a wonderful job of overcoming adversity and I am impressed with that.

Panthers look GREAT so far, especially without Steve Smith. Chargers are my second favorite team because Rivers is the QB, but they got hosed yesterday. Absolute BS job. Ridiculous, one of the worst calls I've seen in a LOOOOONG time.