The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hattrickboy33

The Official NFL Off-Season thread

Matches I look forward to in week 7:

Buffalo vs. SD - Buffalo is 4-1, Edwards coming off a concussion, and their schedule hasn't been too tough. Games against the Rams, Seahawks, Raiders, and a couple of tougher ones against Jags and Cardinals. SD obviously needs to win this one badly and not dig themselves a deep hole early int he season and L.T. looks like he's on the verge of busting out.

Saints vs. Carolina - Panthers got destroyed last week, but they come back home to face Brees and the high powered offense of the saints. Saints have looked better than their record shows, but come crunch time their kicker or defense has let them down. Carolina is really good at stopping those star running backs, however, Reggie Bush is a different kind of RB. He makes his big plays of screen plays and other types of short passes.

Pats vs. Broncos - Two teams coming off rough losses. Everyone calling for Moss to get more passes. Not sure what to expect, Broncos defense is awful, but I looks at what happened to the Pats last weekend and wonder how Cutler can carve that Pats secondary up. the game is at Foxborough, I can't remember the last time Pats have lost 2 straight there.

Titans vs. Chiefs - Kind of curious how many yards the chiefs actually get in this one, under 100 total yards? This could get brutal....if the Chiefs win it would be upset of the year.

Yeah.. thats true.. the AFC is bunched up too.. being a panthers fan I care more about the NFC, but looking at it its pretty much the same.. Interestingly, a lot of the AFC teams have had an early bye and only played 5 games.. so theres a couple more different records then in the NFC.

Titans at 5-0, Pittsburgh and Buffalo at 4-1, Denver 4-2, Indy, NE, NYJ at 3-2 and SD, and Jax at 3-3. I think a few of the surprises in the AFC are of course NE at 3-2 and losing thier last two, SD at 3-3, but rising winning thier last couple. Denver started hot then lost thier last two...Buffalo at 4-1 who woulda guessed...

I would argue with you about the NFC south being a better division, but of course it all comes down to personal opinion anyway... The AFC south has Tenn at 5-0, yet also the Texans at 1-4, while the NFC south has 3 teams at 4-2 and the lowest team is 3-3. The AFC South has 465 points for and 439 points against, the NFC south has 569 points for and 454 points against, so a good bit better on offense, and slightly worse (nearly equal) on defense. That kinda surprises me since I figured the NFC south would be better on defense since at least Carolina and TB, and Atlanta also to a certain degree are known for thier defenses more then thier offense. You could say the AFC south has better teams, in Tenn and Indy, but the NFC south has more parity with all four teams being equal to each other, regardless of how we compare to the rest of the league.. this year we compare favorably, 3 teams in the top 6 in the NFC. Obviously in years past Indy has been the team to beat. Overall I'd say its a toss up... this year the NFC south has performed slightly better. If you include the Texans, the AFC South is a combined 12 out of 21 (12-9 or 0.571) the NFC south is 15 out of 25 (15-9 or 0.625). Obviously the NFC south has played more games, but we have more wins in those games, and strentgh of opponents arguements do apply. Its really hard to call.. both divisions are excelling at different things.

If the Titans meet the Panthers in the Superbowl then we will see which will prevail.. lol :)

Denver has not last their last 2 (they lost 2 out of 3)

pats have not last their last 2 (they lost 2 out of 3)

Matches I look forward to in week 7:

Buffalo vs. SD - Buffalo is 4-1, Edwards coming off a concussion, and their schedule hasn't been too tough. Games against the Rams, Seahawks, Raiders, and a couple of tougher ones against Jags and Cardinals. SD obviously needs to win this one badly and not dig themselves a deep hole early int he season and L.T. looks like he's on the verge of busting out.

Saints vs. Carolina - Panthers got destroyed last week, but they come back home to face Brees and the high powered offense of the saints. Saints have looked better than their record shows, but come crunch time their kicker or defense has let them down. Carolina is really good at stopping those star running backs, however, Reggie Bush is a different kind of RB. He makes his big plays of screen plays and other types of short passes.

Chargers vs. Broncos - Two teams coming off rough losses. Everyone calling for Moss to get more passes. Not sure what to expect, Broncos defense is awful, but I looks at what happened to the Pats last weekend and wonder how Cutler can carve that Pats secondary up. the game is at Foxborough, I can't remember the last time Pats have lost 2 straight there.

Titans vs. Chiefs - Kind of curious how many yards the chiefs actually get in this one, under 100 total yards? This could get brutal....if the Chiefs win it would be upset of the year.

You mean Pats vs Broncos. A must game for Denver for me so I dont have to listen to all the lemmings around

here if the pats win. Go Broncos.

How surprising is it that the KC Cheifs try desperately to trade Tony Gonzalez and all they get offered is a third round draft pick (from GB) and a 4th round draft pick (from philly).. Are they that concerned over his health? I know he's in the 11th year of his career, but his production has increased for the last 3 years, his avg yards per catch has been around 11-12 yds his entire career and based on th records he just broke he is "the greatest TE of all time"... I can't believe no one wanted him.

As far as this weeks games..

Carolina plays a must win at home against NO.. If we want to keep a share of the NFC south we have to win (assuming TB will beat 1-4 Seattle) Atlanta has a bye and TB is playing out of division so a win for Carolina improves our division record (not sure if that takes the tie break away from TB, probably not).

Resurgent San Diego (3-3) takes on 4-1 Buffalo.. This could be an interesting game.. however Buffalo is 2-0 at home and SD is 1-2 on the road. If you wanna make the playoffs ya gotta win on the road.

Chicago 3-3 takes on Minnesota 3-3, strangely enough the winner of this game will either be 1st in the NFC North or tied for 1st depending on a GB win or loss. All three teams are 3-3 (Detriot 0-5).

Baltimore 2-3 takes on Miami 2-3 in Miami.. Perhaps another win for the Fins? Ravens are 0-2 on the road.

Indy 3-2 takes on Green Bay 3-3 in Lambeau... Normally you would say GB wins easy, but, not so fast my friend.. Indy is 2-0 on the road. and GB is 1-2 at home. GB has to win to keep a share of NFC North lead.

Tennesee gets to roll against KC, Pittsburgh gets to roll against Cincy (0-6), Detroit (0-5) and Houston (1-4) are duking it out for worst in the NFC...Dallas should roll over St Louis, Jets should handle the Raiders, Giants should beat the 9ers.

Monday Night: Denver at New England.. should be a good game. Denver is 1-1 on the road and NE is 1-1 at home. Of course at 8:30 monday night I'll be watching hockey. - DUH.. this game is tonight.. not tommorrow night. :)

#2 Offense in the league faces the #2 defense in the league. Defense wins. Plain and simple.. Defense always wins. Panthers manhandle the Saints today.. NO doesnt come close to sniffing the endzone.. they capitalize on one questionable 15 yard penalty to get in the red zone and score and Carolina keeps em out the rest of the game. Turnovers and poor defense cost New Orleans another game that they dont get to use thier high power offense. Great game by the panthers.. hold on to at least a share of the NFC south lead. Take the overall lead if Tampa loses.

48-34 Chicago over Minnesota and the games not over yet.. holy cow what happened to the defense? Insane slugfest for the NFC North lead, both teams pretty much scoring at will.

34-10 Tennesee over KC.. KC scoring late, but it wont matter Tennesee will go on to be 6-0.. 3 TDs for LenDale White.. wow... what a game.

Baltimore picking up a win on the road and taking care of Miami.. kinda a surprise.

Pittsburgh leading Cincy 31-10 and threatening to score again.. in the red zone at the 2 minute warning.

GIants in a tight one with San Fran and the Romo-less Cowboys getting wasted at St Louis.

Wooo Minnesota 41 points on offense and 450 yards gained!

Along with 5 turnovers. Thank God we do something wrong when other things are going right. We must keep the theme going. World would collapse without it.

Damn peyton manning... finally has a good week and I decide to start him over Cutler, figuring Cutler will struggle against NE and Manning goes out and looks like a high schooler against GB... 17/36 178 yards, no TDs, 2 INTs returned for TDs? That equates to about 4 points for yahoo fantasy when QBs are normally between 15-20... God Indy sucks.. I'm not sure you can argue Eli over Peyton since obviously the Giants are a better team overall.

On the other hand Chris Johnson got me 22 points with 160 yds rushing and a TD.

I think I'm benching manning for the rest of the year... *sigh*... best QB in the draft and he turns out to be a bust..

Thankfully I should still win this week.. big days by Johnson, D. Williams, Steve Smith and Robbie Gould...

Like I said...Cleveland just had to spot the league a few games.

That was beautiful if you hate the Giants or love the Browns.

Seriously?!?! 11-14 Redskins over the Browns. Man that might have been a good nap!

You mean Pats vs Broncos. A must game for Denver for me so I dont have to listen to all the lemmings around

here if the pats win. Go Broncos.

Med I was just wondering if you guys could repay the favor since the Bills beat the Chargers and have the Broncos beat the Pats*. It would be much appreciated

Also, ironic that the power goes out at Ralph Wilson Stadium when a team called the Chargers come to Buffalo.

Med I was just wondering if you guys could repay the favor since the Bills beat the Chargers and have the Broncos beat the Pats*. It would be much appreciated

Also, ironic that the power goes out at Ralph Wilson Stadium when a team called the Chargers come to Buffalo.

I hope so Quince. The Bills look great and I feel that they win the East this year.

Can my broncos stop anyone, Can I borrow some of Buffalos defense to help lol

Also I think the Bronx can light up that shaky pats secondary as well

tough game and high scoring IMHO

I hope so Quince. The Bills look great and I feel that they win the East this year.

Can my broncos stop anyone, Can I borrow some of Buffalos defense to help lol

Also I think the Bronx can light up that shaky pats secondary as well

tough game and high scoring IMHO

I think anyone can light up the Pat's secondary right now. If the Broncos struggle, they have bigger problems.

Its not too late to fix what ails the Pats and Im not buying that its just Matt Cassell. I dont care if they're not playing in the superbowl this year but there are a lot of lessons to be had when your starting QB goes down for the season. If they can learn to adjust to and overcome some of their deficiencies, it will go along way for this season and others to come, with or without Brady. Just my opinion.

Hopefully the Pats can take a page from the Red Sox and fight back with some charcter and grit. You dont have to win it all every year as long as you go out battling.

I think anyone can light up the Pat's secondary right now. If the Broncos struggle, they have bigger problems.

Its not too late to fix what ails the Pats and Im not buying that its just Matt Cassell. I dont care if they're not playing in the superbowl this year but there are a lot of lessons to be had when your starting QB goes down for the season. If they can learn to adjust to and overcome some of their deficiencies, it will go along way for this season and others to come, with or without Brady. Just my opinion.

Hopefully the Pats can take a page from the Red Sox and fight back with some charcter and grit. You dont have to win it all every year as long as you go out battling.

no problem but just not tonight tsa ;)

btw interesting stats.. Shanahan is 5-2 vs Bellichek and Bellicheck as a coach is 2-9 lifetime vs the Broncos.

No wonder why everyone around here busts my chops about being a bronco fan :P

no problem but just not tonight tsa ;)

btw interesting stats.. Shanahan is 5-2 vs Bellichek and Bellicheck as a coach is 2-9 lifetime vs the Broncos.

No wonder why everyone around here busts my chops about being a bronco fan :P

Nah, they bust your chops because thats what Boton sports fan do. Like em or hate them, they're apssionate about their teams and arent afraid of stirring up some adversity. Though I agree that some take it too far (all fan groups) and probably anger many. Im getting tired of all Boston sports fans getting called out as bad fans.

Nah, they bust your chops because thats what Boton sports fan do. Like em or hate them, they're apssionate about their teams and arent afraid of stirring up some adversity. Though I agree that some take it too far (all fan groups) and probably anger many. Im getting tired of all Boston sports fans getting called out as bad fans.

They are not all bad, just 98.6667% :P

jK it is about like think 70% good fans 20% obnoxious 10% bandwagoners

it is probably the same for any team that has been good over the years.

it is probably the same for any team that has been good over the years.

Bingo. All teams with success have bandwagoners, obnoxious fans and good fans, and teams with little or no success will always target the successful ones and their fans. I dont see this any different, for any team, in any sport. Boston teams have had more success and with multiple teams than any other city the last few years, so they are the biggest targets. Its getting tiring, thats all.

The talent of the Pats should make a Varsity High School QB look good in the NFL, no way the issue is Matt Cassel.

The issue is Randy Moss doesnt have what it takes to lead a team and do the things to make big plays on his own. He needs someone who can throw the ball as far and as fast as he can run...

The talent of the Pats should make a Varsity High School QB look good in the NFL, no way the issue is Matt Cassel.

The issue is Randy Moss doesnt have what it takes to lead a team and do the things to make big plays on his own. He needs someone who can throw the ball as far and as fast as he can run...

Thats my biggest problem with this season, again, its not about losing game because what the Pats were able to do last year was unheard of. I dont like just sitting by watching contract years for players like Moss and Welker get thrown away. Its obvious that the Pats lost a lot more than just a QB when Brady got hurt. Who else is in that locker room that can stand up and lead? Surely someone can.

Thats my biggest problem with this season, again, its not about losing game because what the Pats were able to do last year was unheard of. I dont like just sitting by watching contract years for players like Moss and Welker get thrown away. Its obvious that the Pats lost a lot more than just a QB when Brady got hurt. Who else is in that locker room that can stand up and lead? Surely someone can.

The ones that can lead are getting long in the tooth in Bruschi, Harrison

and even Vrabel.

The Pats still are talented but are getting up there in years. They need

some of their kids to step up like Mayo or Merriweather etc.

they also need a RB to take charge like maroney, who has looked lost

when playing this year.

btw this game scares me as a bronco fan as the pats usually come up big

when their backs are against the wall.

The ones that can lead are getting long in the tooth in Bruschi, Harrison

and even Vrabel.

The Pats still are talented but are getting up there in years. They need

some of their kids to step up like Mayo or Merriweather etc.

they also need a RB to take charge like maroney, who has looked lost

when playing this year.

btw this game scares me as a bronco fan as the pats usually come up big

when their backs are against the wall.

Maroney has all the potential in the world but cant stay healthy. I agree about some of the vets, they are passed their prime and its time for the youth to take over. Question is, can they without Brady?

Win or lose, I hope its a good game and all I ask is that the Pats battle hard.

Mhm. Take it from someone who watched Moss for roughly seven seasons...if you can't get him the ball, then he's useless. He can be the greatest offensive weapon in the NFL when he has a great quarterback throwing him the ball; when he doesn't however it's a completely different story...he just becomes invisible.

Now compare that to someone like Hines Ward...it doesn't matter if you throw him the ball or not, he's still an integral part of the team. He leads by example and does all the small things correctly...in essence he's a great WR AND football player. Randy Moss is only one of those things, just like T.O. and a handful of others.

Mhm. Take it from someone who watched Moss for roughly seven seasons...if you can't get him the ball, then he's useless. He can be the greatest offensive weapon in the NFL when he has a great quarterback throwing him the ball; when he doesn't however it's a completely different story...he just becomes invisible.

Now compare that to someone like Hines Ward...it doesn't matter if you throw him the ball or not, he's still an integral part of the team. He leads by example and does all the small things correctly...in essence he's a great WR AND football player. Randy Moss is only one of those things, just like T.O. and a handful of others.

great post and agreed.

also I know most dont know that much about him but Rod Smith of the broncos was

the same way as Hines Ward. Maybe not as good but an all around football player.

Hopefully Denver can beat the Pats. It will most likely be a good game.

Could someone tell me how Denver has been doing this season i havent really kept my eye on them.

Pats are missing Brady so i think that i will be more of a game to watch. :unsure:

I thnk Dustin Pedroia must have given the Pats their pre game pep talk :lol:

I think Randy Moss read your post :lol:

Frog, was it you asking about Sammy Morris for your fantasy team? I sure hope you kept him ;)

Hopefully Denver can beat the Pats. It will most likely be a good game.

Could someone tell me how Denver has been doing this season i havent really kept my eye on them.

Pats are missing Brady so i think that i will be more of a game to watch. :unsure:

Denver started the season hot, but has been struggling a little here lately.

I wasnt surprised to see them lose to the Pats, but I was a little surprised to see them get completely shut down.. 41-7? Ouch...