The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

2009 NCAA Football Thread

I was just being facetious in honor of the Cuse's new starting QB.

As for football in my (for now) home state...I'm looking forward to Auburn falling on their faces this year, hoping Bama will come back to earth, and that my Troy Trojans will upset Florida in Week 2. A boy can dream, yes?

As for football in my (for now) home state...I'm looking forward to Auburn falling on their faces this year, hoping Bama will come back to earth, and that my Troy Trojans will upset Florida in Week 2. A boy can dream, yes?

And I can dream about Appalachian knocking off ECU in Week 1!

I doubt Auburn can fall on its face any more than it did last year, though I would love to see them try. Maybe they can loose a game 2-0 instead of winning 3-2.

I doubt Auburn can fall on its face any more than it did last year, though I would love to see them try. Maybe they can loose a game 2-0 instead of winning 3-2.

Shame on both of you. Auburn will do just fine. Yes I was angry...but like a true fan I cannot hate them for long.

Chizik it is!

I don't actively hate Auburn. Come late November, I'm definitely on the "War Eagle" side of the fence. But for me to get the most utility from the closest major football program to my house, I need them to be either REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD. And I just don't see them being really good this year.

As for me I can't say I hate Auburn, that is strictly reserved for Georgia and to a lesser extent Clemson, but they are a team I enjoy to see suffer. (In other words be painfully bad or loose pivotal games.) Additionally the fact that Auburn's AD has refused to schedule GT again since those two straight losses is annoying, since instead of playing a traditional rival like the tigers, tech gets to schedule teams like Miss St.

I'm ready for the USC/NCSU game like crazy. I'm doing the lottery thing because I got up at 6.30 to head to Reynolds for a Student Wolfpack Club ticket, I was told I had a good shot to get one because they had 900 tickets, and after 2 hours guess who didn't get a ticket?..........

Additionally the fact that Auburn's AD has refused to schedule GT again since those two straight losses is annoying, since instead of playing a traditional rival like the tigers, tech gets to schedule teams like Miss St.

While Auburn schedules Louisiana Tech, Ball State, and Furman.

Seeing that you are in Alabama...is that for Auburn, or for Syracuse? If the latter, I'm with ya; if the former...http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=552251' target="_blank">I have some something to send you![/post] :P

LOL I was almost sure this was 'bout the 'Clemson' Tigers :D

Correct answer ;)

Go Pack Go!

The next two weeks can't go by fast enough.

I'm ready for the USC/NCSU game like crazy. I'm doing the lottery thing because I got up at 6.30 to head to Reynolds for a Student Wolfpack Club ticket, I was told I had a good shot to get one because they had 900 tickets, and after 2 hours guess who didn't get a ticket?..........

WOLF!!!!.......PACK!!!!

B)

And I can dream about Appalachian knocking off ECU in Week 1!

Go App St. :P

As for me I can't say I hate Auburn, that is strictly reserved for Georgia and to a lesser extent Clemson, but they are a team I enjoy to see suffer. (In other words be painfully bad or loose pivotal games.) Additionally the fact that Auburn's AD has refused to schedule GT again since those two straight losses is annoying, since instead of playing a traditional rival like the tigers, tech gets to schedule teams like Miss St.

Yea now this I agree about...I never really understood what kind of rivalry we had with GT until looking at how many times the two teams have played, and like the games go back a long time ago. We definitely should get the rivalry back going again.

Although you all do prove to be a pesky team...

Go with a group...can't go wrong with that. One of the benefits of being in a fraternity.

I was looking at a sports betting book (why I got one in the mail I have no clue.. maybe because I play online poker) and the guy in there had NC State picked to win the Atlantic Division and his reasoning? Because Florida State had a brutal schedule.

I love my Wolfpack, but I really don't hold out any hope that we will be playing in the conference championship. Although we do get to play Duke this year for the first time in 3 years. Duke/NC State is always a close game.. good rivalry.. State always wins, but Duke pulls out all the stops and trick plays against us and it will be 27-21 or something like that.. was a really fun game every year before they split the divisions.

We will probably get creamed against USC. If we can't beat GardnerWebb and Murray State something is bad wrong. Pittsburgh I don't know much about.. maybe we can win.

We should beat Wake, Beat Duke, Beat BC. Probably lose to FSU.. Maryland Clemson and Vtech are probably toss ups.. could go either way. Beat UNC.

Pittsburgh was 9-3 last year, but the Big East isn't that strong, but I'm sure we will find a way to lose to them anyway.

We can get 7 wins this year, hopefully catch a bowl game but I don't know if we will win the division. I don't know why we schedule 2 1-AA teams every other year.. all that does is force us to win an extra game to be bowl eligible. With only 12 games we can't go 6-6.. we have to get 7-5 at least. Gardner Webb is a local NC school but Murray State of the Ohio Valley Conference? Come on...

I was looking at a sports betting book (why I got one in the mail I have no clue.. maybe because I play online poker) and the guy in there had NC State picked to win the Atlantic Division and his reasoning? Because Florida State had a brutal schedule.

I love my Wolfpack, but I really don't hold out any hope that we will be playing in the conference championship. Although we do get to play Duke this year for the first time in 3 years. Duke/NC State is always a close game.. good rivalry.. State always wins, but Duke pulls out all the stops and trick plays against us and it will be 27-21 or something like that.. was a really fun game every year before they split the divisions.

We will probably get creamed against USC. If we can't beat GardnerWebb and Murray State something is bad wrong. Pittsburgh I don't know much about.. maybe we can win.

We should beat Wake, Beat Duke, Beat BC. Probably lose to FSU.. Maryland Clemson and Vtech are probably toss ups.. could go either way. Beat UNC.

Pittsburgh was 9-3 last year, but the Big East isn't that strong, but I'm sure we will find a way to lose to them anyway.

We can get 7 wins this year, hopefully catch a bowl game but I don't know if we will win the division. I don't know why we schedule 2 1-AA teams every other year.. all that does is force us to win an extra game to be bowl eligible. With only 12 games we can't go 6-6.. we have to get 7-5 at least. Gardner Webb is a local NC school but Murray State of the Ohio Valley Conference? Come on...

I like the fact that we give FSU fits a lot of the time/and win occasionally.... Duke always plays their best game of the year against us LOL We need a little payback on USC (hopefully Wilson will make it thru the game :blink:) Pitts going to be a big game.... Maryland is always tough as nails.... Can't believe we play UNC (they're going to be good this year) the last game of the season (If we both win our conferences we play two weeks in a row)

and last but not least.... I thought Gardner Webb was a high school eek.gif

NCSU has been a trendy pick to win the Atlantic division based on the late season dominance they had and the fact that they will have a legitimate back up quarterback behind Russell Wilson. One thing that could hold them back are the multiple injuries on defense, notably to Nate Irving. FSU does have a bit of a tough schedule and personally I'm still not all that wowed by Christian Ponder either. Hopefully the preseason hype is fulfuilled and we can get back to the top of the conference. I'm still mad that ECU pulled out of our game with them, that left us to schedule the daunting Murray State for our 2nd DII school on the schedule.

NCSU has been a trendy pick to win the Atlantic division based on the late season dominance they had and the fact that they will have a legitimate back up quarterback behind Russell Wilson. One thing that could hold them back are the multiple injuries on defense, notably to Nate Irving. FSU does have a bit of a tough schedule and personally I'm still not all that wowed by Christian Ponder either. Hopefully the preseason hype is fulfuilled and we can get back to the top of the conference. I'm still mad that ECU pulled out of our game with them, that left us to schedule the daunting Murray State for our 2nd DII school on the schedule.

Yeah, NC State or West Virgina. Such a tough decision. ;) Besides, we play UNC the week after. Can't take all our "rivals" out at the beginning of the season.

And are App students really that worried about the ECU game? It's just the opposite here. Everything I've heard is we're just hoping to keep the game close.

I didn't realize that was why we had 2 1AA teams on the schedule. I'm still miffed at ECU for tearing down our goalposts (though I gotta admit, beating Miami after your school just got flooded out by Hurricanes Dennis and Floyd was damn impressive).. I really don't understand the big rivalry between NC State and ECU since we rarely play against each other... Guess it's a proximity rivalry like UNC and Duke.

FSU hasn't been that good in the past couple years... 8-4 last year wasn't too bad, but of course they are used to going 12-0. They have 3 preseason ranked teams on the schedule BYU (25), BC (22) and UFla (#1). Besides playing Florida, i don't think its too rough of a schedule. Jacksonville State is a gimme. USF started last season 5-0 and then went 2-5 to finish, so not sure how tough they will be. They should beat UNC, Clemson, Maryland and Wake.. Miami will be tough.. GTech and BC will probably be close. We might give them a run, but they will probably beat us too.

I just looked at the schedule and saw that we played @Duke last year. I forgot about that.. when they came out with the divisions we were only gonna be able to play Duke once every three years, but maybe that changed it to do home and home. I don't like 12 teams in the conference and I don't like 2 divisions, but I grew up with the 9 team division and playing every team every year.. but no.. gotta have a championship game to make money. Like anybody outside the ACC watches the championship game anyway? Just another game for Dr pepper and chickfila to put their names on.

All I'm looking for for State this year is 7-5 and a bowl game. Improve on last years 6-6 and hopefully don't wait till it doesnt matter anymore to win 4 games in a row. Hopefully our defense will be better this year.. we were giving up 2 and 3 TDs last year in our wins, not to mention getting blown out in our loses.

I really don't understand the big rivalry between NC State and ECU since we rarely play against each other... Guess it's a proximity rivalry like UNC and Duke.

:blink:

Oct. 10, 1970 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 23-6 28,350

Oct. 23, 1971 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 31-15 18,000

Oct. 21, 1972 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 38-16 39,300

Sept. 8, 1973 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 57-8 45,000

Oct. 5, 1974 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 24-20 42,800

Sept. 6, 1975 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 26-3 47,500

Sept. 18, 1976 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 23-14 49,700

Sept. 3, 1977 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 28-23 49,200

Sept. 9, 1978 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 29-13 50,800

Sept. 8, 1979 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 34-20 53,400

Nov. 22, 1980 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 36-14 46,200

Sept. 19, 1981 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 31-10 52,200

Sept. 11, 1982 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 33-26 55,200

Sept. 10, 1983 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 22-16 57,700

Sept. 29, 1984 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 31-22 57,300

Sept. 7, 1985 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 33-14 58,300

Sept. 6, 1986 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 38-10 58,650

Sept. 5, 1987 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 32-14 56,800

Jan. 1, 1992 Atlanta, Ga. (Peach Bowl) ECU 37-34 59,322

Nov. 30, 1996 Charlotte, N.C. ECU 50-29 66,347

Nov. 22, 1997 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 37-24 51,500

Nov. 20, 1999 Greenville, N.C. ECU 23-6 *50,092

Nov. 27, 2004 Charlotte, N.C. NCSU 52-14 41,244

Nov. 25, 2006 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 21-16 54,264

Sorry couldn't resist it :P

ECU has long been a traditional rivalry LOL Notice how often we played them in Greenville.... I agree with most of my ECU friends that it's not fair that we played practically every game in Raleigh (If I remember correctly originally it was held in Raleigh every year because our facilities were so much better)....

The series was suspended in 1987 after ECU won @ CF and a near riot broke out after they tore our goal posts down ;)

I know that WVU is probably a bigger game due to their big recent success, but this is an in state rivalry, was already scheduled and ECU is normally always saying they want to play some more ACC schools. Anyway I'm gonna register in a group for that USC/NCSU game for student tickets, and perhaps even bigger news than the game.....Erin Andrews will be at Carter-Finley...... ;)

:blink:

Oct. 10, 1970 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 23-6 28,350

Oct. 23, 1971 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 31-15 18,000

Oct. 21, 1972 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 38-16 39,300

Sept. 8, 1973 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 57-8 45,000

Oct. 5, 1974 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 24-20 42,800

Sept. 6, 1975 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 26-3 47,500

Sept. 18, 1976 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 23-14 49,700

Sept. 3, 1977 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 28-23 49,200

Sept. 9, 1978 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 29-13 50,800

Sept. 8, 1979 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 34-20 53,400

Nov. 22, 1980 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 36-14 46,200

Sept. 19, 1981 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 31-10 52,200

Sept. 11, 1982 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 33-26 55,200

Sept. 10, 1983 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 22-16 57,700

Sept. 29, 1984 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 31-22 57,300

Sept. 7, 1985 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 33-14 58,300

Sept. 6, 1986 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 38-10 58,650

Sept. 5, 1987 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 32-14 56,800

Jan. 1, 1992 Atlanta, Ga. (Peach Bowl) ECU 37-34 59,322

Nov. 30, 1996 Charlotte, N.C. ECU 50-29 66,347

Nov. 22, 1997 Raleigh, N.C. NCSU 37-24 51,500

Nov. 20, 1999 Greenville, N.C. ECU 23-6 *50,092

Nov. 27, 2004 Charlotte, N.C. NCSU 52-14 41,244

Nov. 25, 2006 Raleigh, N.C. ECU 21-16 54,264

Sorry couldn't resist it :P

ECU has long been a traditional rivalry LOL Notice how often we played them in Greenville.... I agree with most of my ECU friends that it's not fair that we played practically every game in Raleigh (If I remember correctly originally it was held in Raleigh every year because our facilities were so much better)....

The series was suspended in 1987 after ECU won @ CF and a near riot broke out after they tore our goal posts down ;)

Ok.. since I became a student at NC State in 98 we've played what? 4 times? in 11 years. It doesnt seem to be a big deal when we play. Back in the 80's when they played every year, I can get that but I wasnt a student back then. In fact from that list from when I started HS in 94 and started pulling for State we've only played against them 6 times. I have relatives who are ECU grads and give me a hard time, but we havent played them that often since I was in HS and college.

Make sure to add last years score when we beat them ranked 15th in the nation. LOL...

I guess the reason its not a big deal for me, is the 5 years I was at State the first time from 98-03 we only played once on the road. During that time we had Philip Rivers and we were beating up on FSU and UNC.. ECU was not a "rival" during those years, regardless of "tradition"

I guess it depends on when you were a student and when you watched them play. My aunts and uncles who went to school in the 70s probably saw it as a huge rivalry.