The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

2009 NCAA Football Thread

Ok.. since I became a student at NC State in 98 we've played what? 4 times? in 11 years. It doesnt seem to be a big deal when we play. Back in the 80's when they played every year, I can get that but I wasnt a student back then. In fact from that list from when I started HS in 94 and started pulling for State we've only played against them 6 times. I have relatives who are ECU grads and give me a hard time, but we havent played them that often since I was in HS and college.

Make sure to add last years score when we beat them ranked 15th in the nation. LOL...

I guess the reason its not a big deal for me, is the 5 years I was at State the first time from 98-03 we only played once on the road. During that time we had Philip Rivers and we were beating up on FSU and UNC.. ECU was not a "rival" during those years, regardless of "tradition"

I guess it depends on when you were a student and when you watched them play. My aunts and uncles who went to school in the 70s probably saw it as a huge rivalry.

I hope my post didn't sound condescending; I didn't mean it that way (it was supposed to be amusing) LOL The big part of the rivalry was before your time for the most part.... For those of us who are older and remember the 80's part of the rivalry it's second only to UNC and much more 'heated'.... As I said earlier the 'last' game of the series in 1987 resulted in a small riot and Valvano (who was AD at the time) suspended the series.... You don't see that very often @ a NCAA football game ;)

I hope my post didn't sound condescending; I didn't mean it that way (it was supposed to be amusing) LOL The big part of the rivalry was before your time for the most part.... For those of us who are older and remember the 80's part of the rivalry it's second only to UNC and much more 'heated'.... As I said earlier the 'last' game of the series in 1987 resulted in a small riot and Valvano (who was AD at the time) suspended the series.... You don't see that very often @ a NCAA football game ;)

No, not at all.. I was kinda laughing too since I didnt know we played that much back then. I know I feel old as dirt at 29, but like I said, since I was a freshman in 98, that's only the last 2 or 3 games on that list.. obviously it goes way back.

I think that's why my friends who I went to high school with and went to ECU want to get all heated about it, mostly from their parents. They know NC State/ECU are supposed to be rivals even if it doesn't seem that way.

I grew up in a house full of UNC fans, even an uncle (and later both his sons) UNC alums. I started rooting for the Wolfpack when I was in middle school and I've been a fan ever since, I knew as a freshman in HS I was going to college at NC State and I did. My mom is one of the biggest UNC fans on the planet, and my sister is an Alum... so its easy to see why the UNC/NC State rivalry means more to me. Some good-natured ribbing around thanksgiving (end of football season) and march madness is a family tradition. I savor our wins in football, cause we usually don't get them in basketball.. LOL.

All my family is from NC, and we have Alums from UNC, NC State, ECU, Cambell, UNCWilmington, UNC Charlotte, UNC Greensboro, Salem College and soon either UNCA or App State.. don't remember which my youngest cousin is at.. one of the ones up in the mountains.. UNCA I think. We've got everyone covered almost! My mom roots for all the ACC teams (as long as they are not playing against UNC) and probably all the NC teams as well, App, UNCW, ECU. I guess because it's family we always give each other a hard time, but its always playful.. never hateful. My aunt from ECU joked on me hard after we whooped them last year... of course we won so it was worth it. LOL

To kinda get back on topic that started the ECU discussion.. I had no idea ECU had a game scheduled with us and then pulled out. I understand scheduling a higher caliber team like WVU, but it must have happened pretty late for us to be stuck with Murray State.. no more 1A teams had an open date or were willing to play us? That kinda puts us in a bind since the second 1AA team wont count towards bowl eligibility and so that leaves us with 11 games.. we'll have to be at least 6-5 (7-5 counting Murray State) to be bowl eligible. I can see us winning 7 or 8 games this year so hopefully it's a non-issue, but it hurts our strength of schedule.. but that's not a huge deal either since our only hope of a BCS bowl is to win the ACC title, and even then we still won't be anywhere near the National Championship.

I'd have to think that scheduling WVU over NC State has to do with last year. We absolutely destroyed WVU last year, and unless they correct that, it's going to be a mark against them.

I don't really mind playing State, because even if we do lose to them, it's easy to bring up the time we beat them in basketball ;) I couldn't care less about ECU's basketball team, but apparently, that was a big deal.

For those of us who hail from regions farther north from here, I follow Big 10 football.

I still remember my ECU friends so excited about playing Illinois in the Liberty Bowl back in '94, then the devastating realty. Played again in the regular season the next year, wasn't much better.

Go ahead, be happy for what you call football down here. I'm just happy that I'm not blacked out down here and can watch a few Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State games.

GO BLUE!!!!

For those of us who hail from regions farther north from here, I follow Big 10 football.

I still remember my ECU friends so excited about playing Illinois in the Liberty Bowl back in '94, then the devastating realty. Played again in the regular season the next year, wasn't much better.

Go ahead, be happy for what you call football down here. I'm just happy that I'm not blacked out down here and can watch a few Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State games.

GO BLUE!!!!

Yeah.. what we call football down here includes taking the defending Champ Ohio State Buckeyes to 3 overtimes, only losing as time expired on a horribly blown call. :lol:

Oh and that App State/Michigan thing... ;)

Yeah.. what we call football down here includes taking the defending Champ Ohio State Buckeyes to 3 overtimes, only losing as time expired on a horribly blown call. :lol:

Oh and that App State/Michigan thing... ;)

All very true. It's one thing to play a major player from the Big Ten, SEC, PAC 10 only once in awhile. When you start playing those caliber teams 2 times or better each year, then we'll talk.

(disclaimer: I do not follow Big 10 basketball......I know better.)

Notice how often we played them in Greenville.... I agree with most of my ECU friends that it's not fair that we played practically every game in Raleigh (If I remember correctly originally it was held in Raleigh every year because our facilities were so much better)....

That's why it's a big deal on the ECU end. When most of the games were played in Raleigh to begin the rivalry, and then it takes the state legislature to force games to be played, it's your standard underdogs fighting against what seems to be everybody to get some credit.

Though I've never really understood why there is so much hatred between ECU and State. We're basically just fighting over the rights to be second fiddle to UNC. Should be more focused on them instead, and ought to have a little more common grounds in that.

Ivy, I'm a huge Big Ten fan as well originally being from Ohio (Go Bucks!). While I chuckle when I hear bragging about football down here as well, things are improving. If ECU can get into a BCS conference, then the other schools in NC and the surrounding region will have something to really fear. And yeah, I remember those Illinois games all too well...

Nothing against ASU, but part of me wonders why the heck we had that game scheduled. ECU is trying to build up by playing bigger name schools for their OOC games. Plus, if ECU wins, it will simply be that we were supposed to win. But if ASU wins, it's a huge upset. And after what ASU has done the past few years, the latter is much more likely of happening than most other 1-AA schools we could play. Just has me scratching my head. Keeping the State game would have been preferable to ASU. If ECU doesn't have the injury problems this year we could make even more noise than last year, and the ASU game really doesn't help with that.

Nothing against ASU, but part of me wonders why the heck we had that game scheduled. ECU is trying to build up by playing bigger name schools for their OOC games. Plus, if ECU wins, it will simply be that we were supposed to win. But if ASU wins, it's a huge upset. And after what ASU has done the past few years, the latter is much more likely of happening than most other 1-AA schools we could play. Just has me scratching my head. Keeping the State game would have been preferable to ASU. If ECU doesn't have the injury problems this year we could make even more noise than last year, and the ASU game really doesn't help with that.

I was wondering the same thing when I first heard about it. ECU has nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing that game. If they wanted to pay a I-AA team to be their tune-up, you'd think they'd pick somebody other than the team that had won the last three titles at the time. And if ASU pulled off the upset, no matter how good of a season either team ended up having, ECU would still have the ignominious loss to a I-AA team on their record. That's the sort of thing that can put a team into a tailspin. Indeed, it was happening to Michigan, and had they not curb-stomped the Irish in Week 3 (a team that ultimately went 3-9, but it was too early to realize just how bad they were), their season easily could have spiraled out of control.

The last thing ECU wants going into road games against two potentially ranked opponents in Weeks 2 and 3 is a demoralized locker room. From their standpoint, they should have talked to Western. From an ASU standpoint, it's exciting to see a matchup with a I-A team that we have a snowball's chance against.

All very true. It's one thing to play a major player from the Big Ten, SEC, PAC 10 only once in awhile. When you start playing those caliber teams 2 times or better each year, then we'll talk.

(disclaimer: I do not follow Big 10 basketball......I know better.)

I was just yanking your chain.. I know we don't live up to those programs. Michigan's stadium holds like what? 100,000? The Horseshoe, the Rose Bowl... You never hear about Carter Finley or Kenan Stadium. Of course those are newer stadiums for programs that are growing. FSU I think has the biggest stadium in the ACC at 87,000, but Miami or VTech might be pretty big as well, I havent checked since they joined the conference. Clemson's Death Valley is also pretty huge but I don't know exact numbers.

Honestly I've always enjoyed the smaller conference, especially playing every team in the league every year. So what if we lose to Florida or Georgia or Auburn or Michigan State what have you. We got to concentrate on beating UNC and Duke and Wake and Florida State.. local teams, in-league games. Of course that's why we will never play for a national championship. Even if FSU or Miami could go undefeated and win the conference championship game they would get skipped over for a 1 loss USC or 1 loss Georgia or Florida.

Now that we've expanded and started a championship game, and only playing some rivals once every 4 years and trying to make the BCS it's just all about making money. I'm sure they would love to have a conference full of weak teams that one team clobbers every year to go undefeated like USC does.

Though I've never really understood why there is so much hatred between ECU and State. We're basically just fighting over the rights to be second fiddle to UNC. Should be more focused on them instead, and ought to have a little more common grounds in that.

If we lost to ECU every year, but we beat UNC every year, I'd be a happy man. I have way more friends and family who are UNC Alums/Fans then ECU so some ribbing from the ECU people would be easy to take with that UNC win in our back pocket.

It was pretty awesome last year when we went 4-0 in the state though.. we beat UNC, ECU, Duke and Wake.

I would pray for some improvement to State's basketball program, but it's not likely to happen as long as Sid Lowe is still around.

I was just yanking your chain.. I know we don't live up to those programs. Michigan's stadium holds like what? 100,000? The Horseshoe, the Rose Bowl... You never hear about Carter Finley or Kenan Stadium. Of course those are newer stadiums for programs that are growing. FSU I think has the biggest stadium in the ACC at 87,000, but Miami or VTech might be pretty big as well, I havent checked since they joined the conference. Clemson's Death Valley is also pretty huge but I don't know exact numbers.

Honestly I've always enjoyed the smaller conference, especially playing every team in the league every year. So what if we lose to Florida or Georgia or Auburn or Michigan State what have you. We got to concentrate on beating UNC and Duke and Wake and Florida State.. local teams, in-league games. Of course that's why we will never play for a national championship. Even if FSU or Miami could go undefeated and win the conference championship game they would get skipped over for a 1 loss USC or 1 loss Georgia or Florida.

Now that we've expanded and started a championship game, and only playing some rivals once every 4 years and trying to make the BCS it's just all about making money. I'm sure they would love to have a conference full of weak teams that one team clobbers every year to go undefeated like USC does.

If any ACC team ran the table they would be playing in the mythical national championship game. The only way they wouldn't play for the title is if there were two other major conference schools who were undefeated. Now I don't expect anyone in the conference to run the table because no team is too far ahead of the others and they all have flaws, so everyone is bound to loose at least once. But if someone doesn't loose they will be playing despite the whining from some of the other conferences.

For all the complaints the ACC does appear to be the deepest conference from top to bottom, the problem is the top just isn't as good as the top of the other power conferences.

As a Pack fan, I'm pretty optimistic on the coming year. My hope is a National Championship, although that in itself is a long shot. But hey, anythings possible.

I hope we can keep guys healthy esp with Irving out.

I think a common theory among State fans that many ECU fans double as UNC basketball fans and hate us through that. One of my co-workers fits this description perfectly, oddly enough.

As a State fan, I don't really have a problem with ECU. Sure, it sucks when we lose to them. But after we beat them last year, I didn't really care what they did the rest of the year. This year, I'll root for them when they head to Chapel Hill, but otherwise what they do won't affect me one way or the other.

I think a common theory among State fans that many ECU fans double as UNC basketball fans and hate us through that. One of my co-workers fits this description perfectly, oddly enough.

As a State fan, I don't really have a problem with ECU. Sure, it sucks when we lose to them. But after we beat them last year, I didn't really care what they did the rest of the year. This year, I'll root for them when they head to Chapel Hill, but otherwise what they do won't affect me one way or the other.

Yeah, that probably has a lot to do with it. Most people originally from NC are split into either UNC or Duke fans, even though they go to some other college. For me, it's just ECU.

Though, I've actually seen a lot more hatred from State fans towards ECU than the other way around. Most students I've known from ECU consider it a rivalry, but have friends at State and even go hang out with them at times. When I wear an ECU hat or shirt in Raleigh, I get the evil eye from a lot of people, and have had people make comments to me about how ECU (or EZU) is just a stupid party school. Like there's much difference between any colleges in that regard anymore.

Maybe there's a bit of a generational gap difference there, though? I've only been in the mix since the football games started back up again, so wasn't around for anything prior to that.

I'm not too fond of ECU, I don't hate them, but I don't cheer for them either. I did like beating them last year becuase it was such an awesome game and they were not only ranked but undefeated at the time.

BTW, is anyone rooting against the Florida Gators this year?

*raises hand*

Though I'm pretty much rooting against the entire SEC in general. Can't take much more of hearing how great they are. It'd be awesome if we could open the season beating SC Thursday and then have VT beat Bama next Saturday.

*raises hand*

Though I'm pretty much rooting against the entire SEC in general. Can't take much more of hearing how great they are. It'd be awesome if we could open the season beating SC Thursday and then have VT beat Bama next Saturday.

That would make the NC State side of me and the Auburn side of me very happy.

I'm sure it has a lot more to do with SC then us, but I can't believe we are scheduled for THE very first football game to open the season on ESPN. Oregon/Boise State is a big match up they are talking about too, they will follow us that night at 10pm. Because of having the ESPN opener they are actually talking about us on Sportcenter and College Football Live, normally we don't get that kind of exposure. And they mostly have good stuff to say.. with All-ACC, Rookie of the Year QB Russel Wilson coming back should be a good year.

I don't really hate Florida anymore now that Steve Spurrier is gone from there.. Although that gives me good reason to want to beat the heck out of USC.

I keep hearing good things about NC State football this year I hope it lives up to the hype.

*raises hand*

All of Clemson is cheering for you to beat SC!

I'm not too fond of ECU, I don't hate them, but I don't cheer for them either. I did like beating them last year becuase it was such an awesome game and they were not only ranked but undefeated at the time.

Rooting against the Gators is really part religous zeal for me. I've been to Gainsville. It's humid, hot, YUCK!

I used to not care about the Gators, had no preference with them. But all this love for Tim Tebow and Urban Meyer, and the fact that now I am seeing Gator fans everywhere makes me want to see them lose.

I also hope the Pack will destroy the Gamecocks opening night, good payback for last year.

After the fiasco that was trying to get a ticket from GoPack and the SWPC, I finally tracked a ticket for Thursday down. If anyone knows of anyone with a student ticket that is looking to unload their ticket, let me know as I have a few friends still looking.

After the fiasco that was trying to get a ticket from GoPack and the SWPC, I finally tracked a ticket for Thursday down. If anyone knows of anyone with a student ticket that is looking to unload their ticket, let me know as I have a few friends still looking.

Yea, getting tickets has been a *edit*, hasn't it? Good thing I'm a Senior, and in a fraternity group to boot.

There's actually quite a rumbling here on campus about groups given more tickets than individuals; even seniors and grad students have been denied in favor of FRESHMEN groups. It's completely ridiculous.

Yeah, I was told that to get tickets groups were the way to go. I wasn't told that a 5 person group of my friends was worthless. Instead you had to have a HUGE group to ensure you a ticket. Personally the SWPC needs to make it so that people can't bring their friends ID's so that everyone has to put effort forward for a ticket on those early Friday ticket distribution mornings, and the GoPack lottery needs to just be done away with. They've made so many problems with it since it was instituted. I'd rather have a huge line outside Reynolds. I know that when I'm a senior I may think differently, but I'd rather them do it by effort (getting up early, standing in line, etc.) than seniority. If they are going to base it off of seniority then they need to do it right. Also the 100 person groups are crazy, keep it 10 people or less. <rant over>

I'm pumped out of my mind for Thursday. Only problem is that with all the people I know that go to NCSU, none of them, but me have tickets. So I've no idea who I'll sit with.

lol what a disater...I was just talking to a friend who wants to go but couldn't get a ticket. Then you bring up the same point, certain people going but others being left out. Again, thank God I have brothers to go with. Because being alone would be problematic, not just for getting a ticket but also for going to the game.

I hope their happy about causing all this for the FIRST game, and what a big game it is. This ain't no cupcake here, this is an SEC team who whipped us last year. Like you, I'm pumped for this one, and add on the fact that I come from SEC country, well...it's just a big game.

If you can't find anybody to go with though dude, then you're invited to come with me and my group. We're tailgating like starting at 2pm, although I have classes so I won't be there then. What year are you btw?