The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

2009 NCAA Football Thread

What the hell, that was an obvious facemask, dangerous tackle that was.

I know.. another bad miss.. shoulda been 1st and 10 on the 35.. now we have 4th on about the 35.. go for it or long field goal and play D?

Two hands and two chest numbers touch the ball you gotta CATCH IT!!!!!!!! Man that was close....

Well that sucks, but at least we didn't get shut-out. I was impressed with our D tonight, that was certainly a highlight.

Yeah.. after last years blowout.. I'll take a 7-3 loss.. we were in the game till the last 2 minutes.. nearly had the go ahead score... We got two gimme games coming up so we can get some stuff worked out on offense hopefully... The loss hurts but it was a pretty good game.

By rights it should have been 13-3 with the two botched field goals.. but it coulda been 21-0 or 28-0 and the defense held em several times in the red zone.. good game by the defense... lets hope the offense can get clicking.

It's half-time and the Boise St. Broncos are playing like a well-oiled machine against the Oregon Ducks, who btw, still have managed to make their uniforms look even more horrid.

Jezus...what a pathetic game. First they overfill the seats, so those guaranteed to have one actually don't get one, and then our team is just off target all night long. Wilson was solid, but had no o-line help whatsoever, and of course NO ONE COULD CATCH ANY MEANINGFUL PASSES. Wilson made some friggin' great throws into coverage, and our "receivers" tipped everything right off their finger tips. Unbelievable.

Great crowd and everything...active and loud early. Just a shame things weren't executed better. This one tonight really did look like the first game for both teams. USC isn't anything special, at least compared to other SEC teams. Definitely a missed opportunity tonight for the Pack.

Oye. Next up, Murray State! Let's not make it tougher than it is.

Offense looked horrible on both sides last night. Either the State O-line was outmatched or just failed to perform. Wilson looked slow and was chased down from behind several times. Receivers could stand to make a play from time to time.

When does hockey start?

I believe SC also had that offensive pass interference in the endzone. Could have been 20-3.

Uh Uh- without the pushoff it is unlikely there would have been a catch. Or if you want the rose colored prospective the defender might have intercepted it.

Either way State stunk up this game. If their golden boy quarterback can't do better than that we will see the Freshman soon enough.

Jezus...what a pathetic game. First they overfill the seats, so those guaranteed to have one actually don't get one, and then our team is just off target all night long. Wilson was solid, but had no o-line help whatsoever, and of course NO ONE COULD CATCH ANY MEANINGFUL PASSES. Wilson made some friggin' great throws into coverage, and our "receivers" tipped everything right off their finger tips. Unbelievable.

Great crowd and everything...active and loud early. Just a shame things weren't executed better. This one tonight really did look like the first game for both teams. USC isn't anything special, at least compared to other SEC teams. Definitely a missed opportunity tonight for the Pack.

Oye. Next up, Murray State! Let's not make it tougher than it is.

Some of the throws were a little high.. but the fourth quarter throw where he put it right on the numbers and the guy got both hands on it but still bobbled it out the back of the endzone.. i mean sheesh.. you gotta catch that.. that's a TD and we win the game.

Thankfully it was a non-conference game, so it doesnt hurt our division standings.. and there's no "preseason" in college football so we'll have to work a few of the kinks out in the next couple of games. Obviously if we can't beat Murray State and Gardner-Webb we don't even deserve a football team.

You're right about a missed opportunity.. not even the fact that we had the winning TD and dropped it.. but SC looked like they werent even trying.. a botched FG.. several sacks.. every 3rd and long they couldnt convert.. we held them away from the endzone perfectly. If not for the fumble that gave them the ball on the 14 yard line, State could have won the game 3-0.

The loss hurts, but there was a lot of positives to take away from it.. The Pitt game will be tough, so hopefully we can cruise through the next two games and get banging on all cylinders.

Some of the throws were a little high.. but the fourth quarter throw where he put it right on the numbers and the guy got both hands on it but still bobbled it out the back of the endzone.. i mean sheesh.. you gotta catch that.. that's a TD and we win the game.

Thankfully it was a non-conference game, so it doesnt hurt our division standings.. and there's no "preseason" in college football so we'll have to work a few of the kinks out in the next couple of games. Obviously if we can't beat Murray State and Gardner-Webb we don't even deserve a football team.

You're right about a missed opportunity.. not even the fact that we had the winning TD and dropped it.. but SC looked like they werent even trying.. a botched FG.. several sacks.. every 3rd and long they couldnt convert.. we held them away from the endzone perfectly. If not for the fumble that gave them the ball on the 14 yard line, State could have won the game 3-0.

The loss hurts, but there was a lot of positives to take away from it.. The Pitt game will be tough, so hopefully we can cruise through the next two games and get banging on all cylinders.

I loves me some Lemminade.!

Did anyone see this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elIyOMMLSjY' target="_blank">From the Oregon-Boise State game last night[/post]

Strange response to this on College Football live... The anchors are talking about the situation and the anchor (who is black) says "Let's be honest.. we're talking about a white player and a black player... there is one word that the white player could say and then he(oregon player) would have been right to hit him but that word was not used."

Ok.. first I'm sure he's talking about the N word or some other racial slur, but if it was not used then WHY BRING IT UP?? Always making it a race issue even when it's not.. he admits the slur was not used, but he plays the race card anyway.

Second he said if that word had been used he would have been justified in hitting him... WHAT?!?! You want to encourage this kind of thuggish behavior and just further the stereotypes?? Wow.. unbelievable..

This makes no sense to me at all an anchor on a national tv show just turned a sportsmanship issue into a race issue when that had nothing to do with it... regardless of the tag on the end of "that word was not used" the other race card players will run with this and crucify the Boise player and call the oregon player a "victim"... Certainly the Boise player was guilty of getting in the guys face but he didn't swing the first punch.

The logic of this makes no sense to me whatsoever...

Russell may very well have lost a step based on his knee injury, but I don't think we know because that wasn't the main problem last night.

There were times where Wilson would roll out away from a collapsing OLine and have some room to pick up at least 4 or 5, but instead he continued to look down field. He may himself be more tentative because of his injuries, but honestly I don't think he will be anymore. Wilson is a competitor and will do whatever it takes in these next 2 games in order to tune up for Pitt. Wilson was never that great of a pure passer. He was a Pat White kind of QB who set up his pass with the defense having to respect his run. Making him a pocket passer will hopefully be an aborted project in the coming practices. Honestly just let Wilson do what he does. If he gets hurt then the Glennon era begins early. If he doesn't then we may see a semblance of the brilliant play we got last year.

Also with the Oline breaking down all the time, it was hard to see what type of speed he really had. It is hard for someone who is backpedaling to go from a stand still to full speed before a DE already at top speed catches them. With our collapsing pocket with the OLine we have, there is no reason at all to think making him a pocket passer will even keep him injury free anyway. The play calling was ultraconservative even on 3rd/4th and long, the WR's couldn't catch, the OLine couldn't block, the punter sucks, and the coaching staff tried to turn Wilson into something he isn't.

Then we finally catch a break with a big return on a punt and an obvious facemask is let go, this is what we get for being NCSU fans............

Oregon suspended Blount for the year. Maybe it's a little harsh, but it's a good move all the same. Somebody else would have suspended him if they hadn't. Makes another guy think twice about doing something stupid if it might cost him a year of eligibility.

I missed what the anchor had to say, but I agree. There's no reason to drag an issue in when it isn't there to begin with.

Wow.. Ohio State just dodged a HUGE bullet... Navy scores a TD to make it 27-29 but throws an INT on the 2 pt conversion, OSU returns it for two points and makes it 31-27 and now they can just take a knee and run the clock out, but they are inside the 20 so they will probably kick a field goal and make it a 7 point game. Even with the win, OSU better be worried with USC coming up next week.

App State with 2 TDs in the 4th Quarter to make it 21-29 and they are driving with 6 minutes left in the 4th... can they pull off the upset??

Boston College taking care of business up 28-0 over Northeastern and Ga Tech beating Jacksonville State 31-7.

Well, that ECU/App game certainly was exciting. Started out really boring (something like 24-0 ECU a minute into the 2nd quarter), turned into 27-7 by the half. Skip (mistakenly) believes everything's AOK, starts sending out his 2nd-3rd line defensive strings. App scores, builds momentum, eventually comes within 5 points of ECU and the game comes down to the final play.

Now, I'm a bigger fan of close games than blowouts (who isn't?), but I'd much rather have a close game throughout than an almost choked lead.

I never liked MASN to begin with, and I pretty much hate them now for dropping the ball on this broadcast. Kind of sucks for ECU fans, who missed most of their team's good play because the station couldn't figure out what was going on until the second quarter.

Anyway, despite the outcome, ASU really put on a show in the second half. I wouldn't know who the first and second strings are for ECU, but if Holtz lifted the first stringers, he did it a little early (wait until you're at least four TDs ahead, preferably five) and it almost cost him the game. And since we were playing our second and third string QBs, the fact that our rally was against their second strings doesn't take as much away from it as it normally would.

If you told me before the game that we would have lost in a nailbiter, I probably would have been OK with that. If you told me that at the end of the first quarter, I wouldn't have believed you. Good showing... too bad the Mountaineers didn't show up until the second half. Anyhow, I think Cadet and Presley just swapped places on the depth chart.

Now less than an hour until the Tech/Bama game... this should be good.

Wasn't so much that he intentionally put those strings out there, but that he was being cautious. CJ Wilson and Eskridge are a big part of our defense and both got hurt one after the other when we were up by the 20 something lead. Holtz decided not to risk anything in the first game of the season.

Not sure who #7 is for App, but he tore up in the 2nd half. App ran the same QB dash over and over again and he'd continue to pick up those 6-7 yard gains. Didn't give me a lot of faith in our defensive depth, but at the end of the day, the mark was made in the right column, so it kind of smooths things over.

And yeah, I knew something was wrong when ECU was up by 24. We were playing well, but not that well. Wasn't sure if it was because App hadn't shown up yet or ECU was just that much better than them. Good to see the answer was given without any real damage. It's good to get scored on, teaches those bottom strings what not to do the next time they're out there.