The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

2009 NCAA Football Thread

Not sure who #7 is for App, but he tore up in the 2nd half. App ran the same QB dash over and over again and he'd continue to pick up those 6-7 yard gains. Didn't give me a lot of faith in our defensive depth, but at the end of the day, the mark was made in the right column, so it kind of smooths things over.

Wait....I thought by watching the NCSU game the other night that QB runs/dashes were outlawed this year?....... ;)

The Wake game really surprised me. I lurk over at Pack Pride message boards and saw where some Wake fans gave NCSU fans a pretty good ribbing for the terrible game we played Thursday, well what goes around comes around. Skinner didn't play a particularly good game, but the Baylor QB played pretty solidly.

Wasn't so much that he intentionally put those strings out there, but that he was being cautious. CJ Wilson and Eskridge are a big part of our defense and both got hurt one after the other when we were up by the 20 something lead. Holtz decided not to risk anything in the first game of the season.

Not sure who #7 is for App, but he tore up in the 2nd half. App ran the same QB dash over and over again and he'd continue to pick up those 6-7 yard gains. Didn't give me a lot of faith in our defensive depth, but at the end of the day, the mark was made in the right column, so it kind of smooths things over.

#7 is Cadet. He's a transfer and had never worn an ASU jersey before. Funny, that's not the first time a QB wearing #7 came into an ASU game halfway through and did big things. His passes looked pretty sloppy, so I don't think he'll compete for Armanti's job, but he'll challenge Presley for the starter's job after Armanti is done.

I didn't know who #95 for the Pirates was, but I do now. That guy is some other kind of gritty; I was impressed. It looked like he hurt both of his hamstrings and then had to be helped off the field for some other leg injury. Holtz pretty much had to duct tape him to the bench. Hopefully for their sake he didn't knock himself out for a few weeks.

That'd be CJ Wilson, and yeah, he's a major cog for the team. Guy's a beast in every sense of the word. I haven't heard anything about the injuries so far, which I suppose is good news. No news is good news and all that.

Bama leading Va Tech by 10 now late in the 4th... sadly this ones probably over. SEC 2 - ACC 0 this weekend.

*Well maybe not... Va Tech just returned the kickoff to the 50, and got a 15 yard penalty, so 1st and 10 on the Bama 35.

First play from the 35 is a TD run.... 27-24 with 9 minutes left.. not as late in the 4th as I thought, plenty of time... Go Hokies!

And VT goes down. Hopefully they'll lose enough to not be ranked by the time ECU faces them. Then when we get stomped, it won't be so bad. Or would the other way around work out better?

Good game, and I was pulling for the Hokies, but Alabama deserved to win that one.

And Frog, if you're going to get stomped, you definitely want it to be at the hands (or feet?) of a ranked team, haha.

As for UVA... looks like they'll compete with Duke for the right to be called the biggest laughing stock in the ACC. Is W&M even I-A? I know Richmond isn't, and that didn't stop them from beating Duke... again.

Edit: W&M is, in fact, a I-AA team. They actually play in the same conference as Richmond.

Jimmy Clausen and Notre Dame looked pretty good against the Wolfpack(NV). We'll see what happens next week at Michigan.

Haven't looked to see if the game is in South Bend or Ann Arbor.

Hopefully all the critics not named Lou Holtz will continue to beat down the Irish, I like the we've got something to prove attitude.

Hopefully GT got the fumbles out of their system yesterday before the game against Clemson on Thursday.

But yesterday was not a good day for the ACC who went 4-5. The only teams who won beat 1-AA schools, and UVA and Duke then embarrassed themselves loosing to 1-AA teams. Throw in State's loss and the conference is 0-2 against the SEC, 0-1 against the pac 10 and big 12, and 4-2 against 1-AA schools.

Yeah Wolfpack!! but seriously, next time save some points for next game.
Yeah, What a game.. big win, as to be expected against a team with only 36 yards of offense.  I wonder how ECU feel's right now since they could have played us instead of losing to West Virginia.  I wonder how that game would have turned out.

[quote name='EricNCSU wrote:

captain_jack88']Yeah Wolfpack!! but seriously, next time save some points for next game.

Yeah, What a game.. big win, as to be expected against a team with only 36 yards of offense.  I wonder how ECU feel's right now since they could have played us instead of losing to West Virginia.  I wonder how that game would have turned out.

No idea how the game would have turned out, but putting up a lot of points against a crappy team doesn't really mean much.  As for the West Virginia loss, I predicted a loss after watching the App State game.  West Virginia may have lost Pat White, but the way our secondary was letting up passes, they could have had a high school freshman QB out there and been fine.

Oh, and this won't mean much to anyone but ECU fans, but I hate Ben Hartman with a passion.  He has to have something on Holtz, because he should not be getting playtime.

Good game between USC and OSU, with USC winning it in the final 1:15.

Remember when Monday Night Football started doing the "self-intro"starting lineups several years back? "Peyton Manning, Tennessee.""LaDainian Tomlinson, TCU." "Lawrence Phillips, California StatePenitentiary." And so on...? It also led to this:

"Ted Ginn, Jr, THE Ohio State University."

"Antoine Winfield, THE Ohio State University"

"A.J. Hawk, THE Ohio State University"

Seriously,the only thing more more annoying than that was the guys from Miami:"Andre Johnson, The U." But the difference between "The U" and "THEOhio State University" is that when Miami was atop the college footballworld, both in the 80's-early 90's, and their late '90's-early 00'sresurgence... the Hurricanes actually won big games. Often. Whichbrings us to last night.

After Ohio State's crushing home lossto USC, in which OSU blew a late 4th quarter lead by allowing afreshman quarterback to go 95 YARDS on Southern Cal's last drive of thegame, the Buckeyes wake up today on the wrong side of the box score yetagain. ESPN color analyst, and OSU grad, Kirk Herbstreit made thecomment last night after the game to the effect of "you have to creditOhio State for proving it can play and be competitive against a qualityopponent like USC."

Oh really now? I have to give OSU creditbecause they're a top 10 team that hung with a superior opponent? TheBuckeyes are top 10 and shoved down our throats every year. But I haveto give them credit now? Let's look at their track record since theiralleged National Title in 2002. We'll go in reverse chronological order:

2009: #3 USC at #8 OSU (18-15 LOSS) *Blew lead in final 2 minutes

2008: #10 OSU vs. #3 Texas (24-21 LOSS) *Fiesta Bowl, blew lead in final 2 minutes

2008: #3 Penn State at #9 OSU (13-6 LOSS) *Blew lead in final 7 minutes

2008: #5 OSU at #1 USC (35-3 LOSS) *One of the biggest locks in gambling history

2007: #1 OSU vs. #2 LSU (38-24 LOSS) *BCS Title Game, gave up 31 straight points after taking 10-0 early lead

2006: #1 OSU vs. #2 Florida (41-14 LOSS) *BCS Title Game, outscored 41-7 after opening kick return TD

2006:#2 Michigan vs. #1 OSU (42-39 WIN) *Michigan, after playing nobody allyear to achieve their lofty ranking, promptly got whipped by USC in theRose Bowl

2006: #1 OSU at #2 Texas (24-7 WIN) *Colt McCoy was afreshman, and this Texas team was so awesome that it went on to win theAlamo Bowl

2005: #4 OSU vs. #5 Notre Dame (34-20 WIN) *FiestaBowl, this was the Irish team that was overhyped due to their hardfought home loss against USC, in which after taking a late lead, they proceeded to give up theentire field in about 3.7 seconds in the final minute of the game

2005:#6 OSU at #16 Penn State (17-10 LOSS) *Everyone pretty much had thisgame pegged as the Big Ten game of the year, prime time in HappyValley... and OSU can't get the job done... again

2005: #2 Texasat #4 OSU (25-22 LOSS) *Blew lead in final 3 minutes, featuring afumble AND Troy Smith getting sacked in the end zone on two separateplays in the Buckeyes' comeback effort AFTER blowing said lead

2004:#22 Ohio State vs. (NR) Oklahoma State (33-7 WIN) *Alamo Bowl, what thehell is OSU doing in the Alamo Bowl? I know, I thought the same thing.But keep reading...

2004: #6 OSU at (NR) Northwestern (33-27 OT LOSS)

2004: #15 Wisconsin at #16 OSU (24-13 LOSS)

2004:(NR) OSU at (NR) Iowa (33-7 LOSS) *That's why, With losses insuccessive weeks, OSU starts Big Ten 0-3, would go on to lose toPurdue, as well. This season's obviously a write-off. ANY team wholoses to Northwestern should be written off.

2003: #6 OSU vs.#10 Kansas State (35-28 WIN) *Fiesta Bowl, this was the goofy yearwhere K-State beat Oklahoma in the Big XII title game, and OU still gotto play for the BCS Title. Of the few wins I've listed here, this is,at worst, the second best of the bunch

2003: #6 OSU at #4Michigan (35-21 LOSS) *A win would've put the Buckeyes in the BCS TitleGame, but instead, they lose to the John Navarre-led Wolverines. I'msure a talent like Navarre went on to a huge NFL career.

I'm supposed to "give credit" to that? No wonder we're in a recession.

[quote name='IceFrog999 wrote:

EricNCSU wrote:

captain_jack88']Yeah Wolfpack!! but seriously, next time save some points for next game.

No idea how the game would have turned out, but putting up a lot of points against a crappy team doesn't really mean much.  As for the West Virginia loss, I predicted a loss after watching the App State game.  West Virginia may have lost Pat White, but the way our secondary was letting up passes, they could have had a high school freshman QB out there and been fine.

Oh, and this won't mean much to anyone but ECU fans, but I hate Ben Hartman with a passion.  He has to have something on Holtz, because he should not be getting playtime.

Yeah, that's very true.  What made me happy about the 65-7 is that's what we SHOULD have done against a team like that.  It's not really impressive in it's own right, but a 10-7 win, or god forbid a loss would have been major cause for concern.  I don't expect us to put up that many points against anyone else, but the fact that we were handed a very weak team and we had our way with them is good.  Trust me, we have lost powderpuff games in the past, to see a utter blow out is a relief.

Next week, the mighty *insert mascot name here* of Gardner-Webb.. should be another barn burner. LOL.

The encouraging thing is so far it is looking like State could be the best team in our division.  The 4 ranked teams are in the other division and Florida State and Clemson now have loses in the Conference which puts them below us in the Division.  Of course we have to win most of our conference games also, so I'm not counting the chickens before they are hatched, but needless to say, it helps us. UNC, Duke and VaTech are our cross division games this year. Wake, Duke, Maryland and Clemson I think we can beat, Florida State, BC, UNC and VaTech will all be tough. 6-2 in the division or better will probably be the mark to win the division.

Just curious here, but are any 'Pack fans going to be attending Saturday's game? I'll be there.

I was going to, but then realized it was Gardner Webb haha. Passssssssssss. 

I'll be at the Pittsburgh game next week though! 

The Boise State/Fresno State game has turned into a slugfest. Looked like Boise was running away with it 24-3, Fresno comes roaring back and its 27-17 at half. Frenso scores to make it 27-24, Boise comes right back and scores to make it 34-24, then Fresno with a FG to make it a 7 point game at 34-27. Boise has the ball inside the 10 again looking to score.

This one looked like a rout, but Boise's not out of the woods yet.. Fresno is making them earn it.

*They've traded TDs once again.. Boise still up by 7, now its 41-34.

Unreal... 51-34... almost 1000 yards combined offense.. over 1000 if you count the pick-6 and the huge kick returns.  Neither team playing defense.. Boise lucky to take this one home.  That early 24-3 hole was too deep to dig out of. 

Here's what I don't get though.. the announcers are talking about how easy Boise's schedule is.. pretty much saying after week 1 when they beat Oregon (who was ranked 10th at the time) that they will go undefeated.  How is it that they can even get a BCS nod with THAT easy of a schedule? I know it sucks to go undefeated and have a one loss team be ranked higher then you.. happens all the time.. but does strength of schedule mean nothing anymore? It sounds like Boise's SOS is pitiful.. people expect them to go 13-0 against 13 pushovers.  They don't play any ranked teams the rest of the season.  Best offense in the country is pretty easy when you can rack up 51 points and 500 yards of offense ever week against HS caliber defenses.

Is it really that great to be the best team in a bottom feeding conference or would you rather be in the ACC where anyone can beat anyone and people finish a hard fought year 5-3 or 6-2 and win the conference.  I'll take the ACC any day.  I've never been that impressed with USC because they play a cupcake schedule.. they are a great team in a lousy conference.. who cares if you win the conference ever year when there is no competition.

#3 USC loses to Washington.... #8 BYU gets plastered by FSU.. a title contender and a BCS buster go down in flames.

Slightly better week for the ACC but still rough. Carolina whoops up on ECU... State rolls over Gardner-Webb, Duke loses to Kansas but scoring 16 on a ranked team is probably a half-win.. Miami moves to 2-0 with a win over Ga Tech, Tech drops to 1-1. Virginia gives up 21 unanswered to lose to Southern Miss.. Hokies rally to beat Nebraska by 1 point.. Maryland loses to Middle Tenn on a short FG. BC Loses to Clemson. Wake Forest trounces Elon, and the aforementioned FSU win gives us 7 wins and 5 losses in conference (2 conference losses, 3 non-conf)

Auburn/WVa 21-20 WVa at the half.. looked like WVU was gonna run away with it up 14-0 but turnovers cost them.. turning into a good game.

Russell Wilson broke the NCAA record for most consecutive pass attempts w/out throwing an interception tonight. And the 'Pack won btw.

lol @USC losing to Washington, glad to see the Trojans fall. And Texas got their revenge on Texas Tech tonight. And wow @FSU blowing out BYU.

btw, if this gets posted several times, I'm sorry. The computer I'm using isn't used to this kickapps stuff.

Russell Wilson broke the NCAA record for most consecutive pass attempts w/out throwing an interception tonight. And the 'Pack won btw.

lol @USC losing to Washington, glad to see the Trojans fall. And Texas got their revenge on Texas Tech tonight. And wow @FSU blowing out BYU.

btw, if this gets posted several times, I'm sorry. The computer I'm using isn't used to this kickapps stuff.

You only have to look at the Auburn/WVU game that just ended to see why that makes Russell such a special athlete..Turnovers will KILL YOU... WVU threw 2 INTs late that Auburn turned into touchdowns.. they gave that game away.  4 INTs and a fumble by the quarterback.. 5 turnovers by one guy led to 4 TDs and a FG.  Auburn defense rolled after getting down early and wrestled that game away from West Virginia.

NC State is a better team now then in the last couple of years for that reason alone.. less turnovers... now if we can just get the RB's to not fumble.

Yeaaaa Auburn 41-30. Almost had to turn it off after that start haha, but they came through. Definitely though is a different team, giving up 500 yards on defense but passing for 300 yards on offense. Whatever works.

And now I look forward to State v. Pittsburgh next week. A real team, and a real matchup. How will we do?