The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

2009 NCAA Football Thread

[quote name='TarheelMike wrote:

captain_jack88']Good game between USC and OSU, with USC winning it in the final 1:15.

Remember when Monday Night Football started doing the "self-intro" starting lineups several years back? "Peyton Manning, Tennessee." "LaDainian Tomlinson, TCU." "Lawrence Phillips, California State Penitentiary." And so on...? It also led to this:

"Ted Ginn, Jr, THE Ohio State University."

"Antoine Winfield, THE Ohio State University"

"A.J. Hawk, THE Ohio State University"

Seriously, the only thing more more annoying than that was the guys from Miami: "Andre Johnson, The U." But the difference between "The U" and "THE Ohio State University" is that when Miami was atop the college football world, both in the 80's-early 90's, and their late '90's-early 00's resurgence... the Hurricanes actually won big games. Often. Which brings us to last night.

After Ohio State's crushing home loss to USC, in which OSU blew a late 4th quarter lead by allowing a freshman quarterback to go 95 YARDS on Southern Cal's last drive of the game, the Buckeyes wake up today on the wrong side of the box score yet again. ESPN color analyst, and OSU grad, Kirk Herbstreit made the comment last night after the game to the effect of "you have to credit Ohio State for proving it can play and be competitive against a quality opponent like USC."

Oh really now? I have to give OSU credit because they're a top 10 team that hung with a superior opponent? The Buckeyes are top 10 and shoved down our throats every year. But I have to give them credit now? Let's look at their track record since their alleged National Title in 2002. We'll go in reverse chronological order:

2009: #3 USC at #8 OSU (18-15 LOSS) *Blew lead in final 2 minutes

2008: #10 OSU vs. #3 Texas (24-21 LOSS) *Fiesta Bowl, blew lead in final 2 minutes

2008: #3 Penn State at #9 OSU (13-6 LOSS) *Blew lead in final 7 minutes

2008: #5 OSU at #1 USC (35-3 LOSS) *One of the biggest locks in gambling history

2007: #1 OSU vs. #2 LSU (38-24 LOSS) *BCS Title Game, gave up 31 straight points after taking 10-0 early lead

2006: #1 OSU vs. #2 Florida (41-14 LOSS) *BCS Title Game, outscored 41-7 after opening kick return TD

2006: #2 Michigan vs. #1 OSU (42-39 WIN) *Michigan, after playing nobody all year to achieve their lofty ranking, promptly got whipped by USC in the Rose Bowl

2006: #1 OSU at #2 Texas (24-7 WIN) *Colt McCoy was a freshman, and this Texas team was so awesome that it went on to win the Alamo Bowl

2005: #4 OSU vs. #5 Notre Dame (34-20 WIN) *Fiesta Bowl, this was the Irish team that was overhyped due to their hard fought home loss against USC, in which after taking a late lead, they proceeded to give up the entire field in about 3.7 seconds in the final minute of the game

2005: #6 OSU at #16 Penn State (17-10 LOSS) *Everyone pretty much had this game pegged as the Big Ten game of the year, prime time in Happy Valley... and OSU can't get the job done... again

2005: #2 Texas at #4 OSU (25-22 LOSS) *Blew lead in final 3 minutes, featuring a fumble AND Troy Smith getting sacked in the end zone on two separate plays in the Buckeyes' comeback effort AFTER blowing said lead

2004: #22 Ohio State vs. (NR) Oklahoma State (33-7 WIN) *Alamo Bowl, what the hell is OSU doing in the Alamo Bowl? I know, I thought the same thing. But keep reading...

2004: #6 OSU at (NR) Northwestern (33-27 OT LOSS)

2004: #15 Wisconsin at #16 OSU (24-13 LOSS)

2004: (NR) OSU at (NR) Iowa (33-7 LOSS) *That's why, With losses in successive weeks, OSU starts Big Ten 0-3, would go on to lose to Purdue, as well. This season's obviously a write-off. ANY team who loses to Northwestern should be written off.

2003: #6 OSU vs. #10 Kansas State (35-28 WIN) *Fiesta Bowl, this was the goofy year where K-State beat Oklahoma in the Big XII title game, and OU still got to play for the BCS Title. Of the few wins I've listed here, this is, at worst, the second best of the bunch

2003: #6 OSU at #4 Michigan (35-21 LOSS) *A win would've put the Buckeyes in the BCS Title Game, but instead, they lose to the John Navarre-led Wolverines. I'm sure a talent like Navarre went on to a huge NFL career.

I'm supposed to "give credit" to that? No wonder we're in a recession.

Wow! for not liking THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY you sure know a hell of a lot about them.  You must secretly want to dot the "i" in script Ohio now don't you!  Then again you probably root for 'Bama don't you...that's got to be tough to do recently in any sport.

Um... no.  I just took 10 minutes to look up their record in big games.  Wow... OSU can beat up on Michigan when UM's been down.  Big deal.  And no... not a Bama fan.  The Tide makes me wanna puke almost as much as THE Ohio State University.  (BTW, awesome drop by Ginn tonight to cost Miami the game on MNF.)  When forced at gunpoint to choose my team when crossing the Alabama borders 17 years ago, I picked Auburn.

No, I'm a Carolina fan - and I'm cautiously optimistic about this team.  Yeah, the "late hit" was a garbage call, but it's Ron Cherry, so...  The game wasn't really in doubt in the second half - UNC was in control.  Now the Heels go to Atlanta for a big one.  Carolina SHOULD beat Tech - their defense is fast enough to shut down the option.  But then again, UNC hasn't won a nationally relevant football game since at LEAST '97, and probably before that.  Of course, you could argue whether the Carolina/Tech game is "nationally relevant" anymore after GT rolled over against Miami last week.

Um... no.  I just took 10 minutes to look up their record in big games.  Wow... OSU can beat up on Michigan when UM's been down.  Big deal.  And no... not a Bama fan.  The Tide makes me wanna puke almost as much as THE Ohio State University.  (BTW, awesome drop by Ginn tonight to cost Miami the game on MNF.)  When forced at gunpoint to choose my team when crossing the Alabama borders 17 years ago, I picked Auburn.

No, I'm a Carolina fan - and I'm cautiously optimistic about this team.  Yeah, the "late hit" was a garbage call, but it's Ron Cherry, so...  The game wasn't really in doubt in the second half - UNC was in control.  Now the Heels go to Atlanta for a big one.  Carolina SHOULD beat Tech - their defense is fast enough to shut down the option.  But then again, UNC hasn't won a nationally relevant football game since at LEAST '97, and probably before that.  Of course, you could argue whether the Carolina/Tech game is "nationally relevant" anymore after GT rolled over against Miami last week.

I'm admittedly biased but the Tech vs UNC game is a toss up. I think the game will absolutely hinge on one matchup though, the UNC D-line vs the Tech O-line. If tech can actually block, unlike against Miami, they will put up points. But if they get pushed around again its over, since Tech's defense can't stop anyone. As for national relevance, that doesn't matter, it is a huge conference game. If Tech looses they are effectively eliminated from contention, and UNC can keep on the top of the coastal with the win.

I'm admittedly biased but the Tech vs UNC game is a toss up. I think the game will absolutely hinge on one matchup though, the UNC D-line vs the Tech O-line. If tech can actually block, unlike against Miami, they will put up points. But if they get pushed around again its over, since Tech's defense can't stop anyone. As for national relevance, that doesn't matter, it is a huge conference game. If Tech looses they are effectively eliminated from contention, and UNC can keep on the top of the coastal with the win.

Yeaaah how bout that Cardiac Pack!!! Coming from behind to beat Pittsburgh 38-31!! Russell Wilson 250+ yards, 4 TDs, 0INT and 90 yards rushing.. I doubt he'll get even a sniff at the Hiesman but he is putting up hall of fame numbers... down but NEVER out!! WOLFPACK!!!

Carolina gets plastered by Ga tech.. FSU gets embarrassed by USF and Miami is getting spanked by Va Tech. BC squeaks by WFU and Clemson loses to TCU.

Atlantic Division - BC 3-1(1-1), NC State 3-1(0-0), Clemson 2-2(1-1), FSU 2-3(0-1), Wake 2-3(0-1), Maryland 1-3(0-0). Now we got 8 straight conference games for State to try and win the division.

WOLFPACK IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!

With our terrible night on Special Teams we spotted them 10 to start the game, and missed 2 field goals and we still won by a TD.  Wilson had nearly 100 rushing, and had over 300 passing with 4 TD's to boot.  That was what we've all been waiting for from him since the end of last season.  Not only was he passing, he ran all over that Pitt D.  In a side note, Pitt's coach is an absolute loser.......

WOLFPACK IN THE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!

With our terrible night on Special Teams we spotted them 10 to start the game, and missed 2 field goals and we still won by a TD.  Wilson had nearly 100 rushing, and had over 300 passing with 4 TD's to boot.  That was what we've all been waiting for from him since the end of last season.  Not only was he passing, he ran all over that Pitt D.  In a side note, Pitt's coach is an absolute loser.......

We also had two touchdowns robbed by the officals.  The Graham catch should have counted, and then after the incomplete pass with 25 seconds left, and then a penalty they run the clock when it should have been a dead ball and we have to settle for a field goal. (That was missed) It looked like State was just goofing around and going slow, but that was because the clock shouldn't have been running.. they probably didn't know.  I thought it was over after the high snap (what the heck were they doing in the shotgun on 3rd and short when all you need to do is run and kill the clock) but the defense held.. Even with Pitt scoring 2 quick TDs off the blocked FG and the next drive to take a 31-17 lead, State totally took over that game in the second half.. our defense held them when they needed to or else Pitt could have scored 3 or 4 more TDs.

What did the Pitt coach do? I didn't watch postgame, I switched to the Auburn game. 

Before the season started I estimated an 8-4 record.  The way some of the ACC have been stinking it up (Virginia, Duke, Maryland) we may can do more then that. @Wake - W, Duke - W, @BC (Must win for division title but we probably lose) L, @FSU - W(maybe?), Maryland - W,  Clemson - W, @VTech - L, UNC - W.  9-3 is in reach.. 8-4 would be great.  6-2 in conference might win the divison is BC drops a couple. 

WHAT A WIN!!! and what a game! so worth standing in the drizzle for 6 hours hahaha. Today is what being a fan is all about...and then having your team come through in the end. so awesome.

Pittsburgh isn't bad...but our offense (and Wilson specifically) is REALLY clicking right now...I mean 200 yards rushing and 300 yards passing...very nice balance. 12 penalties is a killer, special teams needs work, and the stupid mistakes (shotgun on THIRD DOWN???) were problems today, but we came through. A cleaner game from the Pack tonight and this would have been a blowout. Defense had it tough all night as Pitt literally started every drive from midfield or close to it...we gotta fix that stuff. But still a good game...so worth spending my entire Saturday at Carter Finley.

And that Dave Wandstett (sp?) IS A CRYBABY...I actually respected him from his Dolphin days, but all he did today was step out on the field and complain and holler about EVERY CALL...like his team didn't get the benefit of the doubt for 3 full quarters. Only in the 4th did we get some calls...and it was about time. Was the ref crew from the Big East tonight? Would be interested to know.

Whoo-hoo!! Wolfpack! And Russell Wilson keeping the streak alive w/ no interceptions. Anyone hear Tom O'Brien after the game? he wasn't very happy. Now the ACC begins and Wake Forest is test #1, if we can pass it I think we could some great momentum going.

Out west Oregon stomped #6 California 42-3. Way to go there Cal!! And man, FSU is losing it. Oh wow and Iowa beat Penn State for the 2nd year in a row.

WHAT A WIN!!! and what a game! so worth standing in the drizzle for 6 hours hahaha. Today is what being a fan is all about...and then having your team come through in the end. so awesome.

Pittsburgh isn't bad...but our offense (and Wilson specifically) is REALLY clicking right now...I mean 200 yards rushing and 300 yards passing...very nice balance. 12 penalties is a killer, special teams needs work, and the stupid mistakes (shotgun on THIRD DOWN???) were problems today, but we came through. A cleaner game from the Pack tonight and this would have been a blowout. Defense had it tough all night as Pitt literally started every drive from midfield or close to it...we gotta fix that stuff. But still a good game...so worth spending my entire Saturday at Carter Finley.

And that Dave Wandstett (sp?) IS A CRYBABY...I actually respected him from his Dolphin days, but all he did today was step out on the field and complain and holler about EVERY CALL...like his team didn't get the benefit of the doubt for 3 full quarters. Only in the 4th did we get some calls...and it was about time. Was the ref crew from the Big East tonight? Would be interested to know.

I assume it was a big east crew... at the very least it was a Non-ACC crew.. unless they are new, I didn't recognize the ref making the calls.. and usually I see the same 3 or 4 guys rotated around.  The one guy, a black guy with a deep voice and very deliberate hand movements.. it seems like he does every single game.. I see him everywhere! LOL

I can't find a box score that lists stuff like attendance and officals the way they do in hockey.  I'm sure there is one somewhere but not on Yahoo or CBS.Sportsline.  I'll check gopack.com   The gopack.com lists their names but doesnt say what conference they are from.  The ref shares his name with an author or musician, so a google search brought up fan pages and facebook stuff.. probably not him.  A search for ACC refs have every page about basketball.. so I don't know where you could look it up but I'm sure someone on here will find it.  Someone on here has an info source I don't know about.. never fails. :)

http://www.gopack.com/dow...=3730&DB_OEM_ID=9200

Big win for the Pack Saturday pimp.gif Defense needs to play better....

LOL yes I said that ^ and today the N&O has our defense ranked no. 1 over Bama, ASU, Gators, OLA, USC etc.....  We've givin' up the fewest yards in 4 games.....  Maybe I'll just keep mah big mouth shut laugh.gif

[quote name='harrisjl wrote:

harrisjl']Big win for the Pack Saturday
pimp.gif
 Defense needs to play better....

LOL yes I said that ^ and today the N&O has our defense ranked no. 1 over Bama, ASU, Gators, OLA, USC etc.....  We've givin' up the fewest yards in 4 games.....  Maybe I'll just keep mah big mouth shut laugh.gif

Yeah, but two of those games were against cupcakes.  Giving up something like only 35 yards of offense against Murray State and not much more against Gardner-Webb probably help the averages.  Sure those other teams have their own cupcakes they play against, but giving up 31 to Pitt and needing last minute heroics to win is a concern.  Wake Forest and Duke should be pretty good games.  Boston College (our main competition to win the divison) has Florida State(who was ranked till last week) and Virginia Tech the next two weeks, and they are already 1-1 in the conference with the loss to Clemson.  They could be 1-3 in conference while we could be 2-0 in that time.  I thought the State vs BC game could decide the division, but not if BC drops the next couple.  Clemson is also already 1-1, with Maryland and Wake the next two weeks.  They could be 2-2 in 2 weeks.  The tough part now for State is having 8 conference games in a row.. no more cupcakes.  We need 5 or 6 conference wins most likely to win the division and play in the title game.  I think our toughest two games are going to be the last two, which are not in divison.  @VaTech and vs UNC.  @BC and @FSU will be tough also.  @FSU is always a challenge no matter how "good" or "bad" the Noles are.

I was really impressed with our defense vs SC though, even in the loss.  Giving up only 7 points to a team that demolished you for 34 the year before is a big step up.

Big game on the road @ Wake Forest tomorrow for the 'Pack. That stadium hasn't been kind to us lately, I think just one win there since 1997, and that win came when Philip Rivers was playing. Hopefully we can break that streak tomorrow, Go 'Pack!!

If nothing changes.. UNC is about to lose to Virginia. Virginia is 0-3, but this win will make them 1-0 in the Conference. Carolina was 3-0 before a drubbing at the hands of Ga Tech, and if they lose today they will drop to 0-2 in the conference, perhaps dashing any hopes of a Coastal Division title? *(Virgina just drove the ball to the 7 yard line and is probably going to get a TD). **Touchdown Virginia - 16-3.

Va Tech is struggling to beat Duke.. ahead 20-16 with 10 minutes left in the ballgame.

Maryland and Clemson are slugging it out... Maryland up 24-21 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

captain-jack, I'm expecting State to take care of business today @Wake, but we'll have to wait and see.. gametime in about 45 minutes.

How bout the Duke Blue Devils putting up 26 points on #6 ranked Va Tech? Sure they end up losing 34-26 but they stayed in that ball game the whole time.. even lead 7-0 to start the game. Duke keeps getting better and better.. Coach Cutcliffe will have them winning before long as long as they don't let him go.

Carolina got stomped for the second week in a row and Maryland barely squeezed past Clemson.

How bout the Duke Blue Devils putting up 26 points on #6 ranked Va Tech? Sure they end up losing 34-26 but they stayed in that ball game the whole time.. even lead 7-0 to start the game. Duke keeps getting better and better.. Coach Cutcliffe will have them winning before long as long as they don't let him go.

Carolina got stomped for the second week in a row and Maryland barely squeezed past Clemson.

Amen to that last part (about Carolina). I was at Southpoint and walked by one of the big TVs, saw Groh celebrating, saw the score, and immediately started texting my friends about it haha. A real stunner, but a good one. 

Meanwhile, State is down 10 with about 10 minutes left in the 4th. Oye. Another Wilson comeback!?!? 

EDIT: It's 27-24 now. Oh yea Russell. 

GO PACK. (and Auburn in about an hour)

It's not to be... Wilson finally decides to throw a pick at the worst possible time (forgive the first one since it didnt lead to points)... Owens was open for the game winning TD and Wilson under threw him.... *sigh* Close ball game.. lot of back and forth.. looked like another come from behind win but fell about 6 inches short.

Auburn's got Tennessee... think they can go 5-0? That's gonna be a tough game.. certainly gonna be switching between the Canes and that Auburn game.

Oh thank god.. I thought they were gonna keep showing New Mexico vs Texas Tech on FSN, like anyone in NC gives a hoot.. but I hear Johnny Forslund.. LOL... Hockey time and then more football!!!

Florida State tied it 21-21 after BC was whooping up on them, but to no avail.. BC wins 28-21. FSU falls to 0-2 in the conference.

I was at the State game yesterday, basically it came down to the fact that we had to have Russell be absolutely perfect yet again for us to have a shot to win. Our special teams allowed them to have an average field position of the 50 and ours always seemed to be no better than the 20. Our kicking game/kick coverage put us in horrible position all night, especially the defense. But the D didn't do itself any favors by lining up 10 yards from the receivers and never blitzing. I mean we lined up 10 yards off the recievers so each time Skinner wanted to after the hike, he could just dump it to a WR and with our terrible tackling we'd get burnt for a first down every time. Our defense got put in bad positions time after time, but the defensive playcalling was awful regardless.

Russell played a solid, but not outstanding game. It seemed he was hesitant to run in some key moments where instead of running for a gain after he broke numerous tackles or realized no one was open, he would continue to look down field and either throw it away or force something. On that last play Baker was wide open in the flat to the right, but instead he forced a throw downfield that Bowens likely should've given a little more effort for.

It is really disheartening to realize that this team should be 5-0 if it played penalty free, fundamentally sound football. These things are things that should and can be fixed, but after seeing ZERO progress in these areas since the Pitt game who knows how much we'll improve as a team before the Dookies roll in.

yeah.. those same kicking woes almost cost us the Pitt game... long long long kick returns and punt returns.. I'm surprised they didnt return one to the house.

You're right about the 5-0. The winning TD was on the FINGERS of the receiver for the SC game.. and the Wake game should have been won too if not for a dropped TD pass. Normally I wouldnt be worried about Duke... but they hung 26 on Va tech in a losing effort and they always save their best gadget plays for us. We could be in trouble if we don't play defense.

The division is still up for grabs though I think.. I'm not sure if it's based on overall record with division record as a tiebreak, or if it's all based on conference/division record.

Maryland ahead at 1-0, but 2-3 overall tells me they will lose some. BC is still in the drivers seat at 2-1 and 4-1 overall... Wake is 1-1 in the conference and 3-2 overall, Clemson falls to 1-2 in conf, 2-3 overall.. State still hanging in there at 3-2 overall, even though now 0-1 in conf. FSU 0-2 in Conf and 2-3 overall not looking good.

I'm sorry, but after 3 weeks of the same %@!% I have no idea why we even pay our coaches. I'm not saying that we can do much about the talent we have in our secondary, but this is inexcusable. We cannot tackle, that comes down to fundamentals, and good football coaches and staff coach fundamentals. That is something that should be addressed after weeks of this and honestly should've been addressed in the spring. Archer was awful at Kentucky and apparently is even worse here. We simply cannot line up any worse, we allow teams to always dump it off to the WR's because of how far we line up off of them, then we cannot tackle in open space and that just confounds the problem. Losing to Duke is straight up embarrassing for a team that has enough talent to win the ACC. I know our D is bad, but Archer never adjust a SINGLE issue and it has been like this for 3 straight weeks. Wilson has to have a superhuman effort to keep up with this D.

yea nothing to say today about anything. a total blowout loss with Duke visiting, and literally beaten by the quarterback. absolutely shameful. we were 3-1 two weeks ago and lookin' good, and then boom acc season starts and we suck it up. ridiculous.

oh, and auburn got mauled by arkansas. even tuberville's teams had trouble up in fayetteville. hogs just pull off some crazy wins against us. what an awful day as a sports fan.

could get better/worse with 'canes finish tonight.

Actually Capt Jack, we havent lost to Duke since 1984 according to what they said last night. Last 11 meetings (obviously not playing every year).

Those two muffed punts for TDs really killed us... the way the defense's were playing there is two offensive series that we can assume we probably would have scored on.

Duke was up one score when the first one happened, there goes our chance to tie the game.. Now they are up two scores. The one at the end maybe didn't matter, but the first one certainly did. SPECIAL TEAMS!!! Yes, we had the kick return for a TD, but two muffed punts for TDs totally cancel that out and whats with our kicker?? Duke had the ball every series at the 40 yard line.

FA, yesterday totally sucked.. Auburn gets creamed State gets bounced UNC wins a BIG gimme from GaSouthern, but they will be all puffing their feathers about it and the Canes lost too.

It only get's worse from here.. Wake and Duke were they two we should have one.. now BC, FSU, UNC coming up. BC and FSU have both looked awful this year, but that doesnt mean we won't lose to them. It seems like every year they predict us to be conference champs we cave under the pressure. I hope we can recruit some guys for next year, it feels like Wilson is having to do it all by himself. Amazing he had no turnovers for over a year.