The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TarheelMike

2009 NCAA Football Thread

I am convinced that State will win next week, simply because it's a "big game" for Carolina (bowl implications, revenge, possible 10 win season, etc.) and Carolina NEVER wins big games, particularly those against teams they're supposed to beat.

1) So I missed Auburn losing to Georgia...wow first time I've literally forgotten about an Auburn game in years...shows how busy I am. But of course, Auburn built up a lead only to lose in the final quarter. That's 4 straight for the Dawgs, and that's a problem. We should have won this year.

2) I think I'm going to the UNC game next weekend. Hope we win, but the tailgating is why I'm going haha.

Well TarheelMike, I hope you're right about State winning wink.gif. But it's been kind of a downer season, I honestly thought this team would be fine after the Pittsburgh win but that started a downfall w/ everything.

1) So I missed Auburn losing to Georgia...wow first time I've literally forgotten about an Auburn game in years...shows how busy I am. But of course, Auburn built up a lead only to lose in the final quarter. That's 4 straight for the Dawgs, and that's a problem. We should have won this year.

2) I think I'm going to the UNC game next weekend. Hope we win, but the tailgating is why I'm going haha.

2) So yea I'm actually not going to the game this Saturday. Chose to work instead. Tells you all about my enthusiasm for Wolfpack football these days. 

Definitely excited for bball though!

Well I was traveling but just got home to see the score. Sweet, even though we are not going bowling I'll take the win, esp being how the season turned out and that it's senior day. No turnovers by the 'Pack either. Now if we could just keep guys healthy for an entire season we might have something good going for us. Wonder now if Wilson decides to stay or go to the MLB, I hope he comes back for at least another year.

Now, whoever plays the Florida Gators please just beat the ever-loving crap out of them, thanks.

If we can get Russell back next year then the offense shouldn't skip a beat and the defense could only improve with some of the talent TOB is bringing in.  The Heels got spanked today by a team with one of the worst D-1 defenses I've ever seen and being there to see it only made it sweeter.  We have sucked in basketball the last 20 years and they've come up with the whole 'you're not our rival', but you can tell during any other sporting season just how much they get hyped for games vs the Pack and their whining during/after this one just continues to prove that.  I just hope that TOB has enough sense to fire Archer, his special teams coordinator and his strength coach.  If we had a decent strength coach and stayed healthy for the majority of a year (getting Irving back next year will be HUGE) then I think we'd have a more than decent year, same goes for his coordinators. 

This is ridiculous, Notre Dame just finished yet another mediocre season and ESPN still won't stop talking about them, who freaking cares?

But speaking of the Irish, we were supposed to play them this season, it was scheduled back in 2001 I think, what happened? Did they get too scared because of the beat down we gave them in the 2002 Gator Bowl?

While I was attending my high school's multi-class get-together at Yard House last night and having a fantastic time, USC upended UCLA. Although I'll always have a soft spot for the latter, having been accepted there -- I chose CSU Fullerton instead for its then-stellar journalism/communications program -- Mr. G and I cheer for those pesky Trojans.

Jan/GSBG

What a stomping, ha ha, glad to see the Gators and Tim Tebow go down hard. Maybe this finally ends the love-fest the media has with him.
Yep, seeing Tebow cry was fulfilling personally. But, he is a decent guy and pretty good QB. He gives good face during interviews so he'll continue to garner media attention.

Figured I'd post this here, since it may have something to do with the future of the ACC (as this thread appears to have become).

ECU won their second consecutive CUSA championship, the first time a CUSA team has done it since the split.  They'll likely play Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl.  In both last year and this year, they managed to outscore the #1 offense in college football (Tulsa last year and Houston this year).

If ECU has a good showing in the bowl, especially if they win it, there's serious talk about ECU moving into the ACC.  It'd make sense as the majority of Carolina teams are in the ACC, and ECU would be a mid-level talent in that conference at the level they've been playing at lately.

Figured I'd post this here, since it may have something to do with the future of the ACC (as this thread appears to have become).

ECU won their second consecutive CUSA championship, the first time a CUSA team has done it since the split.  They'll likely play Arkansas in the Liberty Bowl.  In both last year and this year, they managed to outscore the #1 offense in college football (Tulsa last year and Houston this year).

If ECU has a good showing in the bowl, especially if they win it, there's serious talk about ECU moving into the ACC.  It'd make sense as the majority of Carolina teams are in the ACC, and ECU would be a mid-level talent in that conference at the level they've been playing at lately.

I seriously doubt this will happen. They could be competitive in football and give a fair number of the teams a run for their money. But, least we forget about the basketball component of the ACC. ECU BB stinks. 

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

IceFrog999']Figured I'd post this here, since it may have something to do with the future of the ACC (as this thread appears to have become).

I seriously doubt this will happen. They could be competitive in football and give a fair number of the teams a run for their money. But, least we forget about the basketball component of the ACC. ECU BB stinks. 

I think the bigger issue would be having 13 teams in the conference... it's already screwy enough with 12.  I know some conference have odd numbers (doesn't the big ten have 11?).  I didn't like the expansion from 9... with 8 conference games (in football) you played every team once, every year. 

Not every ACC team is good in Basketball... FSU stunk for a long time, I don't know if Miami is any good.. Not sure about Virginia Tech... UNC, Duke Wake Forest (and sometimes NC State) get most of the press and you don't hear much about the other teams.   They added BC, VTech and Miami purely for Football reasons and to have the ACC Football Championship game..

I think it makes sense, since ECU is a natural rival for NC State and UNC.. but at the same time, I'm not sure it makes sense for ECU.  Part of the allure is being a non-confernce rival game, which means it's an all out slugfest with nothing but pride on the line, and plus they can continue to dominate the C-USA year in and year out and be a powerhouse in that conference (if they aren't already). 

Oh and my last post got swallowed by the forum having problems, so I know its a week late but HOW BOUT THAT WOLFPACK!!!! LOL... Of course we can win the one's that don't matter, but I'll take a win over UNC whether it wins or not. 

On a non-ACC note... how about that Texas Nebraska game... is it really fair that a offical review determined the game? Texas blew that by not taking thier timeout and then the refs give them one more second (essentially to kick the field goal) did they deserve it?? I know Husker nation is fuming.  The refs are supposed to enforce the game.. not affect the game.  It won't matter though, I have a feeling Alabama will crush them in the title game.

[quote name='ericncsu wrote:

ivyleager wrote:

IceFrog999']Figured I'd post this here, since it may have something to do with the future of the ACC (as this thread appears to have become).

Not every ACC team is good in Basketball... FSU stunk for a long time, I don't know if Miami is any good.. Not sure about Virginia Tech... UNC, Duke Wake Forest (and sometimes NC State) get most of the press and you don't hear much about the other teams.   They added BC, VTech and Miami purely for Football reasons and to have the ACC Football Championship game..

I think it makes sense, since ECU is a natural rival for NC State and UNC.. but at the same time, I'm not sure it makes sense for ECU.  Part of the allure is being a non-confernce rival game, which means it's an all out slugfest with nothing but pride on the line, and plus they can continue to dominate the C-USA year in and year out and be a powerhouse in that conference (if they aren't already). 

ECU doesn't really follow the basketball scene, mostly because we suck.  A more prestigious conference might help get recruits to make it so we don't suck, but I doubt that'll change much.  ECU's about football and baseball.

As for the second part, does being in the same conference as UNC change the rivalry between them and State?  If it doesn't, why would it change between UNC/ECU or State/ECU?  And while getting the wins in CUSA helps, the better conference is what the school's looking for.  We need the recruits and that's not happening unless we get out of CUSA.

[quote name='IceFrog999 wrote:

ericncsu wrote:

ivyleager']I seriously doubt this will happen. They could be competitive in football and give a fair number of the teams a run for their money. But, least we forget about the basketball component of the ACC. ECU BB stinks. 

ECU doesn't really follow the basketball scene, mostly because we suck.  A more prestigious conference might help get recruits to make it so we don't suck, but I doubt that'll change much.  ECU's about football and baseball.

As for the second part, does being in the same conference as UNC change the rivalry between them and State?  If it doesn't, why would it change between UNC/ECU or State/ECU?  And while getting the wins in CUSA helps, the better conference is what the school's looking for.  We need the recruits and that's not happening unless we get out of CUSA.

You're probably right.. it would probably still be a grudge match and an in state rival.  I still think the concern is the number of teams in the league.. if they wanted to add ECU, they would have to add a 14th team also to keep the divisions even for the championship games.. who else would want to join? Some of our old friends from the southern conference like South Carolina are now in the SEC, so you know they wouldn't move.  One of the small Florida schools that's looking for a bigger stage? UCF? USF? It raises some interesting questions for sure.

[quote name='ivyleager wrote:

captain_jack88']What a stomping, ha ha, glad to see the Gators and Tim Tebow go down hard. Maybe this finally ends the love-fest the media has with him.

Yep, seeing Tebow cry was fulfilling personally. But, he is a decent guy and pretty good QB. He gives good face during interviews so he'll continue to garner media attention.

He seems like a nice guy off the field but on the field not so much. His taunting of his opponets with that stupid gator chomp made me happy to see him lose. Florida will probably destory Cincinnatti in their bowl game, but at least they won't win this year's National Championship.

I don't think NCAA conferences can have more than 12 teams in it, again I'm not sure of this. If this is true and ECU seriously wanted to join the ACC then someone would have to drop out and frankly I don't see that going over too well.

There was some really good bowl games yesterday. The Auburn/Northwestern game was probably the best one. The Blowout game had to be the Florida/Cincy game. With all the distraction surrounding the Florida Gators, you would have thought it would have thrown them off, all it did was fire them up. On the other hand, Cincy had a "lame duck" head coach, who was going to the University of Buffalo after the game. For all the hype that Gilyard and Pike got all year, it just seem they couldn't find their rhythm.

Whether you like him or not, Tebow put on a show. He set a BCS record for throw yds and total yds. This is just the start of the "real" bowl games.

ECU suspends two players for, none other than a food fight. Yes, they had a food fight where both teams, coaches and the Liberty Bowl committee members were having lunch, it was over a piece of dessert. HOW STUPID!

Congrats to Bobby Bowden on his last win as the coach of the FSU Seminoles. 389 Wins. FSU did him wrong.

In the National Championship game, I am taking Texas over Alabama. Can't stand Nick Saban.