The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ivyleager

What song are you listening to right now?

Crazy old rockers... their second album is called Chickenfoot III. What happened to Chickenfoot II? I love Joe Satriani's music... especially the stuff he did with Yngwie J. Malmsteen and John Petrucci (G3) - which brings us full circle back to Dream Theater.

I like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, too! By far the best super bowl halftime show ever... no one else is even close - in fact, it's the only halftime show I enjoyed.

I like Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, too! By far the best super bowl halftime show ever... no one else is even close - in fact, it's the only halftime show I enjoyed.

I picked it for the title as I sat at my computer waiting for the season to start. I do like Petty and this version with Eddie Vedder, I really like. Of course this sent me off on a You Tube guitar safari last night. If you like Petty you might enjoy another look at R&R Hall of Fame induction of the late George Harrison. Prince stole the show. Urban legend says, no one knew what Prince was going to do. The performance is great and the out of the loop look on Tom Petty and Jeff Lynne's face is worth it. Harrison's son Dhani seemed to enjoy what some say is the best guitar solo ever.

Wow, Prince can shred! I thought he was just a funny little dude with an identity issue, I had no idea he was that talented with a guitar.

Thanks for the video!

Now I gotta throw some Malmsteen your way:

Wow, Prince can shred! I thought he was just a funny little dude with an identity issue, I had no idea he was that talented with a guitar.

Thanks for the video!

Now I gotta throw some Malmsteen your way:

AWESOME. just awesome.

If you are in a more mellow mood, nothing beats Phil Keaggy. I found out about him when I was really young and I spent many nights in the dark with his CDs playing in my earphones. He's amazing and his music is sooo smoothing. Oh, and his vocals are very similar to Paul McCartney, but I am more into his instrumentals. If you notice, he has 9 1/2 fingers - he lost part of one in a childhood accident involving a water pump of all things.

Oh yeah, he doesn't use a pick. :shock:

If you are in a more mellow mood, nothing beats Phil Keaggy. I found out about him when I was really young and I spent many nights in the dark with his CDs playing in my earphones. He's amazing and his music is sooo smoothing. Oh, and his vocals are very similar to Paul McCartney, but I am more into his instrumentals. If you notice, he has 9 1/2 fingers - he lost part of one in a childhood accident involving a water pump of all things.

Oh yeah, he doesn't use a pick. :shock:

I know Keaggy but I didn't know the accident story. I haven't listened to him in a long time. That was nice. This might not be your cup of tea. What else do we have to do waiting for either a trade or opening night. I like surprises in music. Once when visiting my sister her husband knowing I was a Motown fan rented the Funk Brothers video (they played background on most of the 60/70s hit. My sister said wait until you hear Joan Osborne. I said huh? After words I said, Who knew.

You have to click on it because it won't embed.

Motown is good, but I admit I know little about it. I like the soul in it. It seems that is something that modern music really lacks, unfortunately. I guess it's lost somewhere in between the drum machines and lyrics about shacking ones body parts to attract the contradictory gender. So she has put out some albums, have you checked those out?

Here is a band you might like, too. They're a Christian rock band originally named Pray For Rain but after being threatened by lawsuit by another band of the same name changed it to PFR. I LOVED these guys, but they only put out six real studio albums. I guess that's not bad, but it seems like they could have done so much more. The funny thing about a lot of Christian music is that most songs are vague enough that they could be about ones love of God or a personal relationship - kinda depending on what your mind is set to. Either way, they rock.

The bass player from PFR, Patrick Andrew, formed a band called Eager after PFR disbanded. Eager featured a guitar player named Mark Kloos, from Raleigh! I saw them live at Saint Marks Church in Burlington NC, where I'm from and they were so cool - after their set, they came out and mingled and watched the rest of the bands play with us. I was 15 at the time and I had to wait for my Mom to come pick me up afterwards. She was running late and I was one of the last people still hanging around the place when the whole band walked up to me. They asked if I had a ride home and I told them the situation, so they said they'd hang out with me until she got there!! Imagine my excitement, at that time PFR and Eager were at the top of my favorite bands list. I took a lot of photos with a disposable camera, but something happened in the processing and they were all lost. I hate that, but I remember everything vividly, so all is OK. Something funny - Kloos had a red sunburst Les Paul guitar and I started asking questions about where he got it and what the specs on it were... he had no idea. With a huge smile he said something along the lines of "I really don't know anything about guitars, or how they work. I just use them."

Yngie Malmsteem.. there's a name I havent heard in a while. There was a song of his i liked and it took me forever to find it and download it because no one could spell the name right (back in the old napster days).... Now that will haunt me.

Of course anything I downloaded that long ago is 5 computers ago and long since gone.

Here is a band you might like, too. They're a Christian rock band originally named Pray For Rain but after being threatened by lawsuit by another band of the same name changed it to PFR.

I did like it. I don't listen to a lot of Christian Rock but I always appreciate it. I'll have to make my case for motown another night. Its getting late. This has been fun. We started out with screaming guitars and look where it has taken us. I didn't even get a chance to touch on Robert Cray, Stevie Ray, BB King and Clapton yet.

I remembered it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMxJV1fV6Lo

When I heard this for the first time (and his rocking version of Beethoven's 5th) it was my first exposure to rock/classical blending that later grew into my love of artists like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Metallica's S&M album and rock opera type bands like Dragonforce and Avantasia.

I didn't even get a chance to touch on Robert Cray, Stevie Ray, BB King and Clapton yet.

I am looking forward to keeping this going... it has been a LOT of fun!

STP

I saw them in concert with Linkin Park, Static-X, Staind and Deadsy on the Family Values Tour in 2001. Great concert, I slapped hands with Linkin Park's lead singer - Chester Bennington. That was back when they were good.

STP was the last band to play, Scott Weiland was high as a kite and wiggling around like a worm on a hook. Kinda funny to watch.

grew into my love of artists like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Metallica's S&M album and rock opera type bands like Dragonforce and Avantasia.

You mean we could have been talking Metal all this time!? If you like Symphonic and Power Metal I have about a thousand bands I can turn you to, bro.

But first, here is another display of amazing talent, on drums this time. Ted Kirkpatrick is the heart and mind of Christian Metal band, Tourniquet. He has been their song writer, drummer and front man since their inception. I admit that I have never really liked their vocalists, but the music is very progressive and complex. Check out his drumming in this one titled Viento Borrascoso (Devastating Wind).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI93lALe3Io

You mean we could have been talking Metal all this time!? If you like Symphonic and Power Metal I have about a thousand bands I can turn you to, bro.

My favorite metal band, I guess would probably call them Metalcore is Avenged Sevenfold. They are kinda mainstream, but my A7S channel on pandora introduced me to bands like Avantasia and Trivium.

I listen to everything... Rap, Metal, Rock, Pop, Dance, Trance... even stuff in foreign languages (like Basshunter and O Zone).

Uprising by Muse I think is a an awesome hockey song.. "We will be victorioussss!"

Speaking of metal, how could I forget the Gods of Shred.. Dragonforce. This one is on the NHL2010 xBox soundtrack.

Good one Eric. Have you ever heard of Stratovarius? They are a Finnish symphonic/power metal band. They are the ones who got me into Metal - my friend gave me a copy of his CD (Stratovarius - Episode). It's a must have for any power metal fan.

I know Edguy, too. I have a ton of their stuff I just haven't gotten around to listening to yet.

Have you found Tarot yet? The lead vocalist (Marco Hietala) has also been a part of Finnish symphonic metal band Nightwish. He has an amazing voice.

I can't post the vid here due to its language but I can't get this song out of my head lately... [NSFW language, violence] Sarah Donner - Pterodactyl (its on youtube if you are so inclined)

I can't post the vid here due to its language but I can't get this song out of my head lately... [NSFW language, violence] Sarah Donner - Pterodactyl (its on youtube if you are so inclined)

There are videos that make you go "What the **** did I just watch?"

This is one of those videos.

I think that quote from the comments section of the YouTube video sums it up perfectly. :lol:

Engine - Falling Star