The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Lets see....

He forced his way out of Boston because he thought he was worth more than 2 years at 20 million for a total of $40 million.

He asked for $100 million at $25million/year for 4 years.....but nobody wanted him :(.

He was offered $45 million for 2 years, $25 million guaranteed the first year, with a chance to re-enter the free agent market if he so chooses after the first year is up. Or, he could opt to stay and collect another $20 million dollars for year 2 guaranteed.....not good enough for Manny.

He has a proven history of being a distracton in non-contract years, asking for high dollar contract extentions and pouting when he doesn't get his way. Or worse, refusing to play.

And he wonders why he's still sitting at home and no one wants him?

Manny, Manny, sitting on his fanny.

Gotta say, my 11 year old thought up these rhymes.

That is the most ridiculous, stupid, moronic thing any person could do period [ manny rejecting the offer ] If the guy is lucky he won't be stoned, tarred and feathered and burned on the stake for his greed at a time when there are millions of jobless families just trying to get by day to day. I hope no one offers him a contract and goes jobless, but I am sure the yankees will pick him up :rolleyes:

as ayankees fan, dont want manny, but u know manny, i bet this is aploy to sit out spring training, then he signs with dodgers a day or so before opeing day.. watch.. its a given...

Dodgers owner declines to consider new offer from Manny Ramirez's agent

On Sunday afternoon, the Ramirez camp responded to McCourt's earlier comments by publicly revealing that it had made another counteroffer Saturday morning. Boras said this one bridged the gap between his most recent proposal Thursday and the offer the Dodgers had made Wednesday. The Saturday proposal was for another two-year, $45-million contract that included deferred payments with interest, Boras said.

The basic structure was the same as the proposals Boras and McCourt made last week, calling for a $25-million salary this year and a $20-million player option for 2010.

In an e-mail sent to reporters, Boras said the proposed contract had a "net present value" of $43.5 million. The Dodgers' last offer, according to Boras, had a net present value of $42 million. Boras' previous offer, which had no deferrals, had a net present value of $45 million. Boras said he met the Dodgers at the midpoint of their two offers at the direction of Ramirez. He also noted that the Dodgers hadn't responded to their last three offers.

Ramirez was quoted in the news release as saying: "I would not allow negotiations to take place without being involved and talk to Scott nearly every day. I have given Scott offers that he has given to the Dodgers and he has given me all offers from the team."

That comment's inclusion in the news release appeared to be a response to McCourt's implication that the Dodgers made their offers known to the public out of fear Boras might hide them from Ramirez.

"The purpose" of revealing their offers "is to let Manny know that we want him to be a Dodger," McCourt said.

Boras also downplayed the importance of whether payments were deferred.

"There is no issue with deferral money being part of the deal; just want to make sure the value is stated accurately and appropriately," read the statement, which was written in Boras' voice.

That wasn't what McCourt said.

"The agent encouraged us to include that," McCourt said of the deferred payments. "It was a way for him to get a higher number."

Boras' first counteroffer to McCourt's Wednesday proposal was for a two-year, $55-million deal and included substantial no-interest deferrals. McCourt went so far as to say he did Boras a favor by offering deferrals, which players and agents generally frown upon, especially in cases where no interest is added.

"We didn't have to agree to anything," McCourt said.

McCourt acknowledged that deferring parts of players' salaries was beneficial to the club because it provided financial flexibility, which, he said, "is a great thing to have in this economy."

McCourt challenged the notion that the importance he placed on deferred payments was an indication that he couldn't afford to pay Ramirez without them. He noted that he offered Ramirez arbitration, which probably would have resulted in the player's receiving a raise from the $20 million he made last year. That money would not have been deferred.

Full article: http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb...,0,962266.story

Can't wait for opening day. The $1Billion dollar team. Can they save the us all from "The Nation of Domination"???

Yeah, I'm that loopy right now... ;)

Manny Ramirez to T.J. Simers: "No, gas isn't up any more, but the price of milk is the same... Two years is fine with me... the economy is making me adjust. That's just the way it is." ... "The economy is making everyone adjust. I will be happy to play for L.A.... Tell everyone Mannywood is coming," -- 3.4.09, Los Angeles Times

Tranlated: No one wanted me because Im a spoiled child who misjudged my self worth. I've insulted the US people with my greed and insulted the only team and fans that were willing to take a chance on me, knowing my history and that Im already not happy about my contract. Because of this, I love LA! I want to be a Dodger! I want to retire a Dodger! The fans here are the best in the world! Oh and Joe (Torre), mind if I dont show up for a few more days, my grandma is sick.

Whatever you say Manny, bwahahahahahhahahahhhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, the Dodgers will have to see which Manny they get, the happy one or the unhappy Manny who pouts because he thinks he was short changed. Lets see, he's already gotten out of most of spring training :lol:

Stay tuned.....

Manny Ramirez to T.J. Simers: "No, gas isn't up any more, but the price of milk is the same... Two years is fine with me... the economy is making me adjust. That's just the way it is." ... "The economy is making everyone adjust. I will be happy to play for L.A.... Tell everyone Mannywood is coming," -- 3.4.09, Los Angeles Times

Tranlated: No one wanted me because Im a spoiled child who misjudged my self worth. I've insulted the US people with my greed and insulted the only team and fans that were willing to take a chance on me, knowing my history and that Im already not happy about my contract. Because of this, I love LA! I want to be a Dodger! I want to retire a Dodger! The fans here are the best in the world! Oh and Joe (Torre), mind if I dont show up for a few more days, my grandma is sick.

Whatever you say Manny, bwahahahahahhahahahhhaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, the Dodgers will have to see which Manny they get, the happy one or the unhappy Manny who pouts because he thinks he was short changed. Lets see, he's already gotten out of most of spring training :lol:

Stay tuned.....

I hate him but if he helps my team win another division I guess I will look the other way :lol:

Finally, glad that's over. Here's hoping to a great ST, and then a great season (all of us, no major injuries please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Finally, glad that's over. Here's hoping to a great ST, and then a great season (all of us, no major injuries please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Amen, but it looks like the Red Sox are getting an early jump on that. :(

anyone else getting up early for China vs. Japan tomorrow? Should be a blowout, but hey baseball is baseball.

edit: if you're not getting up, I would at least DVR it. Yu Darvish is supposed to pitch for Japan, he's supposed to the next huge Japanese pitching sensation.

anyone else getting up early for China vs. Japan tomorrow? Should be a blowout, but hey baseball is baseball.

You're a die hard Warbird.

I will catch them on MLB Network :P

How about that! Great addition to the DirectTV line up.

Is Arod trying to make me feel bad for him now? Surgery might be his best option for ducking all the trash that may be hurled his way once the season gets under way. I wonder if all the steroid drama will be on the back burner by the time he's ready to play?

Isnt this the same exact injury that Mike Lowell tried to play through and ended up in surgery for? And he's still not quite ready or at 100%.

I think so TSA. But now, they're (Yanks) starting to look at other 3B options. Yeah, same problem Lowell had. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the team too much. Teixeira is really going to have to pull his weight now. Arod was our only real "power" bat, post HGH/Roids era ;) . So, there goes an injury free season so far.

I think so TSA. But now, they're (Yanks) starting to look at other 3B options. Yeah, same problem Lowell had. I'm hoping it doesn't affect the team too much. Teixeira is really going to have to pull his weight now. Arod was our only real "power" bat, post HGH/Roids era ;) . So, there goes an injury free season so far.

The Rays are drooling watching the Yanks and the Sox with their injuries in ST. Bet they're thinking about getting a big jump from the start.

C23, seems to me that the new stadium has been a curse to the team since they broke ground. Did Papi have another shirt buried they overlooked?

and joba got rocked, didnt get out of first inning.. i still say make him the 8th inning guy.. whos going to play 3rd? sure cashman is non stop on phone

The Rays are drooling watching the Yanks and the Sox with their injuries in ST. Bet they're thinking about getting a big jump from the start.

C23, seems to me that the new stadium has been a curse to the team since they broke ground. Did Papi have another shirt buried they overlooked?

What, you don't read the reports that are out there?! Apparently there were 'several' placed in various parts underneath... :huh:

What, you don't read the reports that are out there?! Apparently there were 'several' placed in various parts underneath... :huh:

i may have mentioned this, sorry if i did, but tessa construction from Boston won the bid to construct yankee stadium... holy *edit*!

i may have mentioned this, sorry if i did, but tessa construction from Boston won the bid to construct yankee stadium... holy *edit*!

Hehe.

In Arod news, looks like Arod cant stand Manny stealing his spotlight so he decided to publicly insult his own teamates, Jeter and Damon. If Im that high $ PR firm that Arod hired to help with his image, I'd just quit.

I know this may be a stretch but is it possible that his "hip issues" have come at a convenient time to allow the Yanks to get him out of the spotlight and basically keep his mouth shut? Seems a little odd that his brother broke the story from the Dominican Republic.

Hehe.

In Arod news, looks like Arod cant stand Manny stealing his spotlight so he decided to publicly insult his own teamates, Jeter and Damon. If Im that high $ PR firm that Arod hired to help with his image, I'd just quit.

I know this may be a stretch but is it possible that his "hip issues" have come at a convenient time to allow the Yanks to get him out of the spotlight and basically keep his mouth shut? Seems a little odd that his brother broke the story from the Dominican Republic.

Kind of like Michael Jordan "retiring" to play baseball so he would not be supsended for a year :o