The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4007993' target="_blank">Curt Schilling officially retires[/post], as announced on his blog. I had forgotten he was still going to try to pitch this year. Nevertheless, thanks for moments, Curt.

Better he doesnt try to hang on. Im sure we havent heard the last from him though.

Sad for the USA to get demolished last night but its hard not to be somewhat happy for Dicek. Just finish quick and come home quickly....please?

In other news: Sox went back-to-back-to-back-to-back homeruns today including another one for Lowell.

Not even thinking of baseball thanks to the Canes right now. Hopefully, I can squeak by until mid June without baseball (if we're lucky, HA!)

Not even thinking of baseball thanks to the Canes right now. Hopefully, I can squeak by until mid June without baseball (if we're lucky, HA!)

Awe c'mon, Yanks/Red Sox tonight, though Im not so sure we'll recognize many players on either roster.

Didn't even know. I paid attention to the WBC because we were in it... and then it was like eh....

I think once the seaosn gets under way, then I'll pay more attention. Spring training has never been much for me... I look forward to it, but I never get anything out of it... it's like Presidents day or something. :lol:

6 days and counting......

Starting roster for the Red Sox:

STARTING LINEUP

(L) Jacoby Ellsbury, CF

® Dustin Pedroia, 2B

(L) David Ortiz, DH

® Kevin Youkilis, 1B

(L) J.D. Drew, RF

® Jason Bay, LF

® Mike Lowell, 3B

(S) Jed Lowrie, SS

(S) Jason Varitek, C

BENCH

® Rocco Baldelli, OF

® Nick Green, IF-OF

(L) George Kottaras, C

(L) Chris Carter, IF-OF

STARTING ROTATION

® Josh Beckett

(L) Jon Lester

® Daisuke Matsuzaka

® Tim Wakefield

® Brad Penny

BULLPEN

® Jonathan Papelbon (closer)

® Takashi Saito

(L) Hideki Okajima

® Justin Masterson

® Manny Delcarmen

® Ramon Ramirez

(L) Javier Lopez

DISABLED LIST

® Julio Lugo, SS

® John Smoltz, P

(L) Mark Kotsay, OF

yankees with no pitching last yr win 89 games, not a reach seeing them win 100.. sorry sox fans... pitching back in the bronx! and yes i agree the sox have good pitching this year.. if *edit* -k can get out of the 5th inning, and staying under 100 pitches.. :lol:

yankees with no pitching last yr win 89 games, not a reach seeing them win 100.. sorry sox fans... pitching back in the bronx! and yes i agree the sox have good pitching this year.. if *edit* -k can get out of the 5th inning, and staying under 100 pitches.. :lol:

Haha, there's always Bucholtz and Smoltz ready to go if need be ;)

Yes, the Yanks should be much improved in the pitching dept. I just read they gave Gardner the CF positon. What happens to Cano? Did they give up on him?

Of course the Yanks pitching will be improved, it couldn't really get much worse. I still don't think CC or Burnett will end up being worth their contracts, they'll be good, but not Cy Young good. CC sucked in the AL last year and was taxed by the Brewers when the playoffs rolled around and Burnett is good when healthy, but he's hardly ever healthy.

The Sox are loaded with 7 guys for the rotation's 5 spots, and then there's Masterson as well. The Sox are the team with the greatest depth in the rotation, BP and the bench and could easily match the lineups of the Rays/Yankees if Ortiz and Lowell are close to healthy, but those are some big if's though. Also I'm expecting Ellsbury to be much improved as he just had one fatal flaw (high/inside fastball) last year and has been working on it.

Haha, there's always Bucholtz and Smoltz ready to go if need be ;)

Yes, the Yanks should be much improved in the pitching dept. I just read they gave Gardner the CF positon. What happens to Cano? Did they give up on him?

Cano? He's our 2nd baseman. Melky Cabrera was our CF. I guess Gardner wanted it more. Shame, Melky has a great arm. If he learns to hit with consistency, Gardner could be a great asset. Yanks have some pitching depth as well. Phil Hughes, Mark Melancon, Dellin Betances, Alan Horne our some of our SP/RP. Austin Jackson was great for the Yankees this spring, and I hope he continues in minor league ball, and gets a chance to show his stuff this season. And if Ramiro Pena continues to do what he did this spring as well, man, he's going to replace Jeter in the next couple of years (Jeter will be bumped over to 2nd, watch. They're not letting the Cap'n go.)

Sox have some dazzling talent too though. This should definitely be an interesting season in the AL East. Forget the rest of the MLB :lol:

Cano? He's our 2nd baseman. Melky Cabrera was our CF. I guess Gardner wanted it more. Shame, Melky has a great arm. If he learns to hit with consistency, Gardner could be a great asset. Yanks have some pitching depth as well. Phil Hughes, Mark Melancon, Dellin Betances, Alan Horne our some of our SP/RP. Austin Jackson was great for the Yankees this spring, and I hope he continues in minor league ball, and gets a chance to show his stuff this season. And if Ramiro Pena continues to do what he did this spring as well, man, he's going to replace Jeter in the next couple of years (Jeter will be bumped over to 2nd, watch. They're not letting the Cap'n go.)

Sox have some dazzling talent too though. This should definitely be an interesting season in the AL East. Forget the rest of the MLB :lol:

My bad, Melky it is. I swear I thought I heard I heard Susan say Cano.

Hope so. I also hope CC returns to Cy Young form, AJ stays healthy, Jeter is magnificent as a leadoff hitter, Gardner has a .300 average, Joba is scoreless through 200 innings, and Mo shows everyone why he's the friggin' man.

But, that's not asking for too much, is it? ;)

Hope so. I also hope CC returns to Cy Young form, AJ stays healthy, Jeter is magnificent as a leadoff hitter, Gardner has a .300 average, Joba is scoreless through 200 innings, and Mo shows everyone why he's the friggin' man.

But, that's not asking for too much, is it? ;)

We all start with such high aspirations for the new season, why not? :)

funny that it says he will see significant playing time with the Mets. I could see him taking Churchs spot in RF against lefties but thats about it. Regardless, he could be a scary pinch hitter off the bench for a league minimum $400k.

Stupid New England weather :angry:

Tomorrow's forcast for opening day - cold, rainy and windy. 90% chance of afternoon showers :(

Lowe just owned the entire Phillies team.

GO BRAVES!

Lowe will be great.

Red Sox/Rays opening day in Fenway is postponed till tomorrow @ 4:05pm. :(