The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Stupid New England weather :angry:

Tomorrow's forcast for opening day - cold, rainy and windy. 90% chance of afternoon showers :(

And MLB hasn't learned its lesson about scheduling opening week games in cold weather stadiums because... why?

And after months and months of heart ache over not being able to see my Sox every day......we get to wait at least one more...........LONGEST 24 HOURS EVER!!!!

If UNC loses tonight then that may make the wait a little bit better though. ;)

i kind of understand the whole feel and atmosphere of ball parks and stadiums being part of the outside....... but it'd be nice if every stadium had a retractable roof like the Astros and I forget whoelse.... Open when it's beautiful out, close it when it's not.

Johan picking up where he left off last year, now he has a pen to close for him, i see 25 wins in his future.

I knew that Putz and K-Rod are going to be studs but I was really impressed with Sean Green today. They left way to many runners on base. Could've easily been a blowout but I was glad to see the pen tested against a much improved Reds team.

itake it u red sox fans are ex newenglanders..

You are correct sir.

There are three things that most all Bostonians look forward to in the Spring after a long winter:

The Patriot's Day holiday, Marathon Monday and opening day for the Red Sox at Fenway. ;)

Good, Yanks lost today.... keep them thinking we don't have it together yet <_< :lol:B)-_-^_^-_-

Wow, what was that? :blink:

I think Teixiera got a sneak preview of what his reception will be in Boston :lol:

orioles always play us and sox tough.. they will need those runs weds.. burnett shuts them down.. panic leaves the yankees boards . ha

itake it u red sox fans are ex newenglanders..

My Dad's family is. I was born here, but am not a bandwagon/fair weather fan. I've been watching nearly every game a year since '01.

I am glad LA is 1-0. Kind of a boring game on the free preview, but a win is a win.

btw SD has one of the worst offenses I think I have ever seen. They are brutal and will be lucky to win 70

games

These early season games can be painful to watch, Pelfry, who has pinpoint accuracy couldnt find the strike zone to save his life last night. Good to see the Phillies finally won a game, looks like they're trying to get rid of the hangover caused by their fluke championship.

Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart killed in hit and run accident

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart was among three people killed in a crash in Fullerton, California, early Thursday, according to a hospital spokesman.

Adenhart, 22, from Silver Spring, Maryland, died at UC Irvine Medical Center, according to spokesman John Murray.

The crash occurred just hours after Adenhart made his first start of the season for the Angels, pitching six innings of scoreless baseball in a 6-4 loss to the Athletics.

One person was arrested in connection with the three-vehicle accident occurred about 12:23 a.m. Thursday in Fullerton, south of Los Angeles. Witnesses say a red minivan ran a red light and struck two vehicles at a Fullerton intersection, police Lt. Craig Brower told CNN.

One of the vehicles, a gray Mitsubishi, slammed into a power pole, Brower said. Two of its passengers were dead at the scene, he said. The other two were transported to a hospital, where a third later died. The remaining passenger was in critical condition, Brower said.

A passenger in the minivan was taken to a hospital with minor injuries, Brower said. The third vehicle sustained minor damage, and its driver was unhurt, he said. Police did not identify any of the dead.

The minivan's driver fled the scene and was later arrested, Brower said. Andrew Thomas Gallo, 22, of Riverside will face charges of manslaughter, felony driving under the influence and hit-and-run, he said.

Footage from the scene showed the minivan with a smashed front end and the Mitsubishi, which was heavily damaged. Debris littered the intersection where the crash took place, and it was cordoned off with yellow police tape.

Adenhart was considered one of the top prospects in baseball when he graduated from Williamsport High School in Hagerstown, Maryland in 2004. He went 37-28 with a 3.87 ERA in the minor leagues and made his major league debut last May 1. He pitched in three games for the Angels in 2008, going 1-0 with a 9.00 ERA. He entered this season as the Angels top prospect, according to Baseball America, and won a spot in the starting rotation in spring training.

-- CNN's Rosalina Nieves contributed to this report.

That is awful. Kid had a fine career ahead of him.

Just awful. Tonight the Angels were supposed to have their Hall of Fame inductees ceremony but I doubt they even play a game.

Just awful. Tonight the Angels were supposed to have their Hall of Fame inductees ceremony but I doubt they even play a game.

Ya its been postponed

Ya its been postponed

Thats so awful I cant even have fun making fun of the Yankees.

This will be a very tough thing for the Angels to get through.

Thats so awful I cant even have fun making fun of the Yankees.

This will be a very tough thing for the Angels to get through.

At what expense? Sox have the same win-loss record. ;)

At what expense? Sox have the same win-loss record. ;)

Geesh, Im a Red Sox fan and Im supposed to make fun of the Yanks regardless of win-loss records. :P

In very sad news, Im not envying the Red Sox having to be the first team to play the Angels in the midst of this tragedy.

The Angels held a press conference a short time ago and said they intend to honor Adenhart with a pregame video tribute and moment of silence. The club will keep his locker intact, team officials said.

I dont know how they're going to be able to play after that, but maybe thats exactly what they need to do.

nice video tribute, sox lose, i guess tales of a early yankee demise were exeggerated, i know i spelled that wrong ha.pettite , diamond in rough this year defeats royals 4-1.. swisher also a suprise.. jays in first... i know, long way to go..

Man, I still wouldn't want to face the Angels. They seem to have Yanks numbers, and Sox too, at the most critical times it seems.