The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

If there was ever a good game to lose to the Angels, it was that one last night because that team and their fans needed something good to happen.

The Sox had better get it together today though. They seem to handle the Angels very well in the post season but not so much in the regular season. Jed Lowrie is making me very nervous and I never thought Id be so excited about Lugo returning. Hopefully he just needs a little more time to settle in. Yooooouk is on fire, thankfully. And I have to admit, without a big bat like Manny's in the order, the Red Sox are looking very average but I'm sure I'll change that opinion when things start heating up.

What a great start for the Jays and O's. If they can keep it up, the AL East will be a very scary place.

Good thing they play 162 games.

Yeah :huh: Jays and O's in the front, with the Yanks and Sox at the bottom. Everyone else's dream of the East. lol. Like ya said, 162 games, no need to worry... yet.

Yeah :huh: Jays and O's in the front, with the Yanks and Sox at the bottom. Everyone else's dream of the East. lol. Like ya said, 162 games, no need to worry... yet.

I think it started that way last year too but the O's had the #1 spot for about a month.

swisher is a hoot being interviewed by kim jones hmm .. shes sweet.. he had another homer.. sox hold on, papelbon throws about 40 pitches in 1 and 1/3 inn, jays behing haliday stay on top

well tsa, go ahead, let me have it, a touchdown and fg for rays over yanks.. wang isnt right again...

LOL, I dont have much ground to stand on right now.

Harry Kalas died yesterday. He was the longtime broadcaster for the Phillies and also NFL Films. He collapsed in the broadcast booth before the Phillies game against the Washington Nationals. He died doing what he loved best. He was 73 yrs. old.

Harry Kalas died yesterday. He was the longtime broadcaster for the Phillies and also NFL Films. He collapsed in the broadcast booth before the Phillies game against the Washington Nationals. He died doing what he loved best. He was 73 yrs. old.

I saw that, that was so sad. RIP Harry. I remember Harrys call of Mike Schimits 500 HR it was pure magic.

Also if it was not mentioned Mark Fidrych died as well.

Wow Mark the Bird Fidrych was a huge entertainer. I vaguely remember him as a kid. RIP Mark.

I do remember this card I had of him when I was 6 markfidrych.jpg although this card looks like he is lefty when I think he was a righty which he was 184e4480.jpg

Wow. Josh Beckett suspended for 6 games due to the bench clearing argument with the Angels the other day. Now, is it 6 games of the Angels, or 6 games that he would be slated to pitch?

Wow. Josh Beckett suspended for 6 games due to the bench clearing argument with the Angels the other day. Now, is it 6 games of the Angels, or 6 games that he would be slated to pitch?

No clue, this is all I saw:

Beckett suspended for 6 games by MLB

April 14, 2009

NEW YORK --Boston pitcher Josh Beckett has been suspended for six games and fined by Major League Baseball, which determined he intentionally threw a pitch near the head of the Los Angeles Angels' Bobby Abreu last week.

Beckett also was cited for "aggressive actions" after the pitch that led to the benches clearing Sunday, according to Bob Watson, vice president for discipline in the commissioner's office.

If Beckett appeals, any penalties would be delayed until after a hearing.

Angels hitting coach Mickey Hatcher was suspended for one game and fined, and he was to serve the penalty Tuesday night. In addition, Watson fined Angels manager Mike Scioscia and players Torii Hunter and Justin Speier.

Thats a pretty hefty suspension since all they gave to Joba last year for the same thing was 3 games after the third offense. Beckett shouldnt have done that though.

Beckett shouldn't have thrown over Bobby's head, but for Beckett to get 6 when Joba actually hit Youk numerous times last year right below the neck and only got 3 is ridiculous. Also I don't see how guys like Hunter simply get a fine and Beckett gets suspended.

I don't think it was as near as bad as some had made it out to be. Beckett shouldn't have held up, he should've continued with the throw so that he would avoid possible injury, but he shouldn't have thrown it that hard over his head.

This sucks even more becasue the Sox cannot hit worth a **** right now and the only way we can win is to have someone pitch a great game. Lester has been victimized by one bad inning in each of his starts and Beckett is the only 'ace' on the team right now who hasn't completely blown a game, we need him. I think Francona needs to switch up the lineup, I'm glad to see Lowrie's hurt and it just wasn't that he couldn't cut it during the regular season, hopefully he's back soon and healthy. I think moving Bay upand Ortiz down would work for the RBI's and also Ellsbury has been a MAJOR disappointment so far. Dropping him toward the bottom, moving Drew to the 2 hole and putting Dustin at lead off may work pretty well.

burnett had a no-no through 6, rays tie it in 7th, yanks close deal with a big hit by gardner and 3 run jack by the capt..final game at rays at 4.. yanks won 7-2

I want the WBC to end, NOW!!!! Dice K is not the same pitcher he was during the WBC, he is burnt out. He's never been a complete game type of guy, but he barely made it through 5 the other day and after being spotted 3 runs against the A's he lets up 5 in the bottom of the first and isn't the game anymore. Sorry, but if you are being paid by the Boston Red Sox your priority is to them, not for a Japanese national team in a meaningless tournament. With all the stamina problems he's had the last two years he should've focused this offseason on how to throw strikes more consistently to major league hitters, not winning a ridiculously insignifigant championship for a country he doesn't play in anymore.

Thank goodness hockey season is still going on because baseball isn't looking too promising this year......rant over............

That's a full nite's sleep I wont ever get back. :angry:

The good news...the bullpen was amazing and managed to hold off the A's completely for 11 innings, they are a deep bunch.

If it were up to me, Id put Masterson in the rotation and Smoltz in the pen until he's deemed completely ready for a full start. And...Id demote Papi till he gets his swing back. Im seriously questioning if he ever will but I also questioned whether or not Rod Brind'Amour would find his game again.

Jays are playing great ball...I'll savor this month until they blow apart in May. Kind of like how I felt when the canes won like 9 in a row.

Wow, I have the Indians / yanks game on in the background surfin the web, everything the Indians swing at is going out of the park.

20-2 !