The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Wow, a 1st place tie with Boston for the Yanks. Better cherish it, don't know when we'll see ourselves in 1st again! lol :P

Wow, Fallen Apostle, that was a strange one today and I can understand why both catchers and managers lost it on that umpire. Red Sox got a gift with that 3rd run but thankfully it wasnt the game winner.

Onto Toronto....if the Red Sox take that series, the AL East is starting to look more and more like a two horse race again. At least for now.

Wow, Fallen Apostle, that was a strange one today and I can understand why both catchers and managers lost it on that umpire. Red Sox got a gift with that 3rd run but thankfully it wasnt the game winner.

Onto Toronto....if the Red Sox take that series, the AL East is starting to look more and more like a two horse race again. At least for now.

lol little league umpire had a short fuse didn't he! Hell just approaching him got you ejected...my goodness. But Beckett was gooood today...such a great stater. I'm surprised Crede got the HR off him. Beckett and Varitek were enough to get the BoSox the win.

I like Swarzak's effort though...another one of our no-name pitching prospects...seems to be solid though.

I'll take a series split anytime with the Red Sox. Soon as I complained we won two straight haha...gotta remind to speak out next time we play the Yanks! ;)

lol little league umpire had a short fuse didn't he! Hell just approaching him got you ejected...my goodness. But Beckett was gooood today...such a great stater. I'm surprised Crede got the HR off him. Beckett and Varitek were enough to get the BoSox the win.

I like Swarzak's effort though...another one of our no-name pitching prospects...seems to be solid though.

I'll take a series split anytime with the Red Sox. Soon as I complained we won two straight haha...gotta remind to speak out next time we play the Yanks! ;)

Thats ok. No need to voice your opinion. lol ;)

Went to the Durham Bulls game today and it was like old home week for the Red Sox. Kyle Snyder was on the mound for the Bisons, Willie Mo was playing left field and Alex Cora was the DH.

Im guessing Alex Cora was on a rehab stint but Willie Mo and Kyle Snyder proved once again what genius Theo is.

Rays have a great prospect in Justin Ruggiano (CF). Not sure what his numbers ended up looking like tonight but he was very impressive.

In Red Sox news: Lester had an amazing outing today and Beckett looked like Beckett in his last one. If Dicek can give us 6 innings on a regular basis, looks like the starting pitching may have finally settled in, just in time for John Smoltz to join the ranks.

Lester and Beckett seem to have settled a bit, but Dice K is giving me absolute fits watching him. I cannot stand to watch his games. Normally he'll get out of a bases loaded, 0 out problem with regularity, but this year he has an ERA above 8 and has only been slightly better since his DL stint. I heard that the Sox are shopping Penny to make way for Smoltz and/or Buccholz, but I would hold onto Penny as long as Dice K's struggles keep going on.

yanks trying to win 3 of 4 from tibe, gardner not running may have cost them yesterday, hughes gave up 4 runs.. wang getting it done in relief, pettite not feeling too hot, hopefully he wont go on DL..

What a catch by Joba today! MAN! Big guy had some air, caught it, and then threw it to second for the double play.

I love your avatar. I like the Braves. But I abhor Larry Jones.

Moving on... how can the Pirates deal Nate McClouth on June 3rd during their best start in forever? They're only 6 games out of first when they're usually 35 games out by now.

Seriously, if Pittsburgh's set on dealing their best young player, why not wait til the deadline when the market would likely drive the value up? No, they get C-H-A-R-L-I-E "Main Man" Morton and two prospects. This is how you continue a neverending phase of rebuilding. You're supposed to build around talented young guys, not trade them.

The Pirates organization is a joke.

I love your avatar. I like the Braves. But I abhor Larry Jones.

Moving on... how can the Pirates deal Nate McClouth on June 3rd during their best start in forever? They're only 6 games out of first when they're usually 35 games out by now.

Seriously, if Pittsburgh's set on dealing their best young player, why not wait til the deadline when the market would likely drive the value up? No, they get C-H-A-R-L-I-E "Main Man" Morton and two prospects. This is how you continue a neverending phase of rebuilding. You're supposed to build around talented young guys, not trade them.

The Pirates organization is a joke.

We're very happy with Jason Bay :)

Interesting move by the Pirates and Braves. I think we have at least 1 Braves fan here.

What the heck happened with the Yanks/Rangers? AJ Burnett is suspended 6 games, Padilla has been put on waivers and has been accused of Teixeira taking out the 2nd baseman with intent to injure?

I know my eyes must be deceiving me... did the Pirates just sweep the Mets?

Speaking of sweeps... the Rays finished off the Royals, and are finally back to .500. I think we're gonna end up with another three team race in the East, because Toronto isn't gonna be able to keep up.

How about the Texas Rangers so far? 1st in AL West for the first time in probably their history considering how bad the franchise has been, hope they keep it going.

How about the Texas Rangers so far? 1st in AL West for the first time in probably their history considering how bad the franchise has been, hope they keep it going.

They won the division a few times in the late 90s, then got swept in the playoffs by the Yankees pretty much every year. Looks like they finally realized they need pitching and defense even in that park of theirs.

How about that Big Papi, eh? Maybe he'll crack double digits afterall.

They won the division a few times in the late 90s, then got swept in the playoffs by the Yankees pretty much every year. Looks like they finally realized they need pitching and defense even in that park of theirs.

How about that Big Papi, eh? Maybe he'll crack double digits afterall.

That was a great and timely shot, now he's on pace for 10 HR's. Woo.

It does look like the starters have finally settled in though and even if DiceK keeps struggling, Smoltz is just about ready to go. If Papi only can find some consistency, we'll finally have a line up thats pitching, hitting, and fielding and a solid bullpen.

Oh, and Lugo is on the trade block per Tony Mazzerotti :).

I hate how the braves are just constantly hovering around .500

I think John Smoltz's Red Sox debut will be against your Braves.

I dont have a very good feeling about Penny vs Sabbathia tonight but the series has been interesting so far, good pitching beats good hitting. Sorry Yanks fans but I think Wang is done, I'd put Hughs in the rotation over Wang anyday.

Arod's Fenway reception:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0dQCKHjng&feature=player_embedded' target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR0dQCKHjng...player_embedded[/post]

And speaking of steroids...

"I didn't kill nobody, I didn't rape nobody, so that's it. I'm just going to come and play the game." -- 6.10.09, Manny Ramirez

Game news: Ellsbury still out tonight, Kotsay in.

Draft news: Red Sox draft the grandson of Yaz, Michael Yazstremski (outfielder), in the 36th round. Pretty cool if he ever makes it to the big club.

Yeah, Im bored with work. :lol:

OMG!!! I just can't believe how the Sox have our number this year! 8-0 against us?!?!?! *edit* is up with that?!?! We can play into 1st place, and then we face the Sox and everything just unwinds! :angry:

I like sweeps........a lot........

Penny looked good tonight and it will be very interesting to see what happens with the log jam for the spot with him, Smoltz and Buchholz. Obviously Buchholz is the guy who will likely get it next year, but Penny had his best outing of the season right when teams seem to be inquiring about him. Honestly I'd rather see Dice K lose his spot.....

Penny looked good tonight and it will be very interesting to see what happens with the log jam for the spot with him, Smoltz and Buchholz. Obviously Buchholz is the guy who will likely get it next year, but Penny had his best outing of the season right when teams seem to be inquiring about him. Honestly I'd rather see Dice K lose his spot.....

I feel the same way but with Dicek's salary, that wont happen but its possible with a bad next outing, he'll be put on the DL. That would buy them at least 2 outings in the rotation to see where Smoltz will fit in. I hope they dont trade Penny but if they can package him with Lugo for a top SS, I'd at least listen.

OMG!!! I just can't believe how the Sox have our number this year! 8-0 against us?!?!?! *edit* is up with that?!?! We can play into 1st place, and then we face the Sox and everything just unwinds! :angry:

Sabbathia was awesome but cant go 9 innings all season, especially against good teams. Yanks have no bull pen and its obvious Girardi doesnt trust any of them. The Red Sox have 2 things things the Yanks dont have now, a strong bullpen where even if one guy is having an off night they can still hold the fort, and the quiet confidence and gritty blue collar ethic that keeps them in games till the last out. Looking at some of the Yanks faces after the 8th inning, they just looked shell shocked.

The Red Sox have 2 things things the Yanks dont have now, a strong bullpen where even if one guy is having an off night they can still hold the fort, and the quiet confidence and gritty blue collar ethic that keeps them in games till the last out. Looking at some of the Yanks faces after the 8th inning, they just looked shell shocked.

I have to completely disagree right there. The Yankees have the most comeback wins for the season. Yanks have really done a good job trying to go until the final out. But I think it must be something about the new stadium, the season... I don't know. But' you're right about the pen. They suck.

I have to completely disagree right there. The Yankees have the most comeback wins for the season. Yanks have really done a good job trying to go until the final out. But I think it must be something about the new stadium, the season... I don't know. But' you're right about the pen. They suck.

Yanks do have a lot of comeback wins but the confidence only seem to grow in the recent stretch of play since Arod returned. I wonder if that stadium will end up hurting them with all the home runs allowed. They've had a ton of HR's but have also given up the most in the league (I heard on XM). With pitching being in question to start, is it possible that all the HR's could end up really hurting them?

Cashman will find bullpen relief somewhere, winning the AL East isn't just an option after spending all that money on Free Agents this past winter.

I heard on XM that Tampa may be looking at Pedro, whats a few more million for his services? If...he'll pitch out the pen.