The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

ur right tsa, the main announcer for nats is one of the best,and i have lannen andnick johnson on fantasy team, the yanks dont play as ateam

ur right tsa, the main announcer for nats is one of the best,and i have lannen andnick johnson on fantasy team, the yanks dont play as ateam

I really enjoyed listening to the Nats announcers last night for a change. I love Don Orsillo and Dave Roberts but its fun getting another call now and then. I listen to Dibble on XM too with Kevin Kennedy and they really give you a good feel for whats going on with the other teams.

Poor Coco Crisp:

HOUSTON -- Royals center fielder Coco Crisp will undergo right shoulder surgery on Wednesday and will miss the rest of the season, manager Trey Hillman said on Tuesday. Dr. James Andrews will perform the surgery to repair a labrum tear at Birmingham, Ala.

"So he's out for the season and, obviously, that's not what we were looking for, but it's something that needs to be done," Hillman said. "They don't know exactly what they're going to have to do until they get in there, but they've got a pretty good idea."

Crisp is on the third year of a three-year deal he signed with the Red Sox, making $5.75 million. There also is a club option for 2010 at a salary of $8 million with a buyout of $500,000.

Full Article: http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090623&content_id=5485036&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc' target="_blank">http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/news/arti...jsp&c_id=kc[/post]

I feel bad for him and the Royals, they were really off to a good start till all the injuries hit. Coco was nothing but a team player in Boston and deserved an everyday position somewhere. This said...Theo is a genius, again.

I too feel so bad for Coco. He is still one of my favorite players. I wish he had still been with the Red Sox but like you said TSA he deserved a chance to play every day. Was looking forward to see the kind of reseption he would have got in a couple of weeks when the Royals come to Fenway.

Yanks aquire utility outfield guy Eric Hinske from the Pirates. He's no stranger to the AL East after playing for the Jays, Red Sox and Rays.

Does that mean the Nick Swisher may be more hurt than they're letting on? Hinske is a good left handed hitter.

Relieved to hear we got Hinske. I think he'll pay off. Hope Swisher isn't as hurt as it may seem.

Relieved to hear we got Hinske. I think he'll pay off. Hope Swisher isn't as hurt as it may seem.

The announcers for the O's/Red Sox game said the signing was more for Mastui (spelling). His knees have been hurting him and they're afraid he may not make it through the season. Hinske is a good player, I was really suprised the Rays didnt re-sign him.

Speaking of the O's/Red Sox....yikes, what a collapse. Poor Smoltz, he left the game for the rain delay with a 9-1 lead which you would think was pretty safe. When the entire team leaves the field in the 6th after only 2 outs, you know their heads weren't in the game. That'll teach them <_<

On the Hinske and Morgan trades... I'm just waiting for Zach Duke to start wearing skull and crossbone glasses, Andrew McCutchen to buy batting gloves in bulk, and announcer Bob Walk to take up drinking while on the air. Seriously, the P's are like 5 games out and they're still dealing guys away? Does Rachel Phelps own this team?

And on the Sawx... don't look now, but those Tampa Bay Rays are coming on STRONG! If the Rays rotation can get going, they're not looking at the wild card, they're looking at the division title.

On the Hinske and Morgan trades... I'm just waiting for Zach Duke to start wearing skull and crossbone glasses, Andrew McCutchen to buy batting gloves in bulk, and announcer Bob Walk to take up drinking while on the air. Seriously, the P's are like 5 games out and they're still dealing guys away? Does Rachel Phelps own this team?

And on the Sawx... don't look now, but those Tampa Bay Rays are coming on STRONG! If the Rays rotation can get going, they're not looking at the wild card, they're looking at the division title.

The Rays have been on my radar all season. They're a lot better than they've been playing and the Sox biggest threat IMO. Not discrediting the Yanks as a threat, I just think a healthy Rays team is more of a threat.

3 team race will come down to final weekend, yanks win 7th in row, andy looked dandy, we own seattle in ny.. guess baseball gods shined on sox today after last nigths fiasco :rolleyes:

3 team race will come down to final weekend, yanks win 7th in row, andy looked dandy, we own seattle in ny.. guess baseball gods shined on sox today after last nigths fiasco :rolleyes:

fiasco is putting it nicely. What a crazy three game series. If you're a baseball fan it was awesome, but if you're a Sox or O's fan....not so much. I dont blame either team for being frustrated with the umpires all series long. I listened to the O's announcers and they were pretty disgusted by today with the calls for both sides.

Jason Bay has hit his first official slump with the Red Sox. He's been given a Mulligan by dirtdogs.com :lol:

Congrats to Papelbon with the most Red Sox saves.. you think he'll stay with Boston, or has he signed a contract extension?

Congrats to Papelbon with the most Red Sox saves.. you think he'll stay with Boston, or has he signed a contract extension?

I'm betting he'll sign an extention but Jason Bay is the first priority. You never know with Papelbon though, he's said he wouldnt mind playing for any other team if Theo and him dont see eye to eye. The Red Sox organization doesnt usually cater to primadonnas who think they are above the team. Manny was the last of the primadonnas that Theo and company inherited and look how that worked out. :0

I was at the 10-11 Baltimore game the other day......I went to Camden a day early if I do say so myself..... ;)

Camden is great, Fenway South. If Im an O's fan or player, it probably wouldnt be so much fun but the Red Sox fans do spend lots of money there.

All Star votes are in:

American League

East

BLUE JAYS (2): Roy Halladay, P; Aaron Hill, 2B;

ORIOLES (1): Adam Jones, OF;

RAYS (4): Evan Longoria, 3B; Jason Bartlett, SS; Carl Crawford, OF; Ben Zobrist, OF;

RED SOX (6): Dustin Pedroia, 2B; Jason Bay, OF; Josh Beckett, P; Jonathan Papelbon, P; Tim Wakefield, P; Kevin Youkilis, 1B;

YANKEES (3): Mark Teixeira, 1B; Derek Jeter, SS; Mariano Rivera, P;

Central

INDIANS (1): Victor Martinez, C;

ROYALS (1): Zack Greinke, P;

TIGERS (3): Edwin Jackson, P; Justin Verlander, P; Curtis Granderson, OF;

TWINS (3): Joe Mauer, C; Joe Nathan, P; Justin Morneau, 1B;

WHITE SOX (1): Mark Buehrle, P;

West

ANGELS (2): Brian Fuentes, P; Torii Hunter, OF;

ATHLETICS (1): Andrew Bailey, P;

MARINERS (2): Ichiro Suzuki, OF; Felix Hernandez, P;

RANGERS (2): Josh Hamilton, OF; Michael Young, 3B;

National League

East

BRAVES (1): Brian McCann, C;

MARLINS (2): Hanley Ramirez, SS; Josh Johnson, P;

METS (4): David Wright, 3B; Carlos Beltran, OF; Francisco Rodriguez, P; Johan Santana, P;

NATIONALS (1): Ryan Zimmerman, 3B;

PHILLIES (3): Chase Utley, 2B; Raul Ibanez, OF; Ryan Howard, 1B;

Central

ASTROS (2): Miguel Tejada, SS; Hunter Pence, OF;

BREWERS (2): Ryan Braun, OF; Prince Fielder, 1B;

CARDINALS (3): Yadier Molina, C; Albert Pujols, 1B; Ryan Franklin, P;

CUBS (1): Ted Lilly, P;

PIRATES (1): Freddy Sanchez, 2B;

REDS (1): Francisco Cordero, P;

West

D-BACKS (2): Dan Haren, P; Justin Upton, OF;

DODGERS (3): Chad Billingsley, P; Jonathan Broxton, P; Orlando Hudson, 2B;

GIANTS (2): Matt Cain, P; Tim Lincecum, P;

PADRES (2): Heath Bell, P; Adrian Gonzalez, 1B;

ROCKIES (2): Jason Marquis, P; Brad Hawpe, OF;

No Manny or Arod thankfully. Very classy of John Madden to pick Tim Wakefield and Josh Beckett for the team and Im glad both Teixeira and Youk are going because they both deserve it, Teixeira earned the start with what he's done for the Yankees this season.

Man am I glad that the All-Star break is coming up soon. The Sox are having serious hitting problems with Youk, Pedrioa, Bay, Green all not hitting and Lowell being out. Lowell gives our offense much more balance so getting him back would help considerably, but the break should help some of the other guys get their legs back under them. Also if I were management I'd seriously look at Buccholz being inserted into the 5 spot if Smoltz cannot battle back from his recent struggles. He's tearing it up at AAA, while Smoltz is having trouble with some light hitting offensive teams.

I had a wishful thought last night, is it possible Aaron Bates was put in to showcase for a possible trade for Matt Halliday? Jason Giambi isnt exctly panning out for them and Bates would be a good young prospect in return with probably some cash too.

And thankfully Manny is still being Manny for Joe Torre and not Terry Francona anymore. Sure didnt take him very long to be himself. Only problem for Manny is that the Dodgers have proved that they can play fine without him. :lol:

HIT AND RUN RETURN FOR MANNY

By BRIAN COSTELLO - NY Post

INJECTOR EJECTED: Manny Ramirez, in his fourth game back since a 50-game suspension for taking a women's fertility drug typically used by steroid users, looks incredulous after being called out on strikes. Moments later, after he had already driven in three runs in the Dodgers' 8-0 win, Ramirez was tossed for arguing the call.

Forgive Manny Ramirez if he's a bit emotional these days. Pregnancy does strange things to your hormones.

Ramirez, the fertile fielder, was tossed from last night's game at Citi Field after striking out to end the fifth inning with the bases loaded. Home plate umpire John Hirschbeck threw Ramirez out after the Dodgers slugger protested the called third strike by flipping an elbow pad over his head toward home plate.

The ejection ended Ramirez's first game at Citi Field since serving his 50-game suspension for taking a women's fertility drug often used by steroid users. He inflicted plenty of damage on the Mets before he left, going 2-for-4 with three RBIs.

"I was coming out in the fifth anyway, so it wasn't a big deal," Ramirez said.

The fans greeted Ramirez with a mix of boos and cheers every time he came to bat, with the boos growing louder as the night went on. A few signs were scattered around the ballpark, some welcoming him others with syringes or asterisks.

"There's no question there's going to be more ammunition," Dodgers manager Joe Torre said of the boos. "That's a given but, again, I think he's able to block those things out."

Ramirez struck out looking in his first at-bat, arguing with Hirschbeck briefly on his way to the dugout. Ramirez hit a two-run, broken-bat single over shortstop Alex Cora's head in the second and an RBI single to right in the fourth.

In the fifth, Elmer Dessens struck him out on a slider to end the inning. Ramirez, disgusted at the call, threw his bat and helmet toward the dugout as he walked to left field. He then tossed his elbow pad over his head back toward home plate. Hirschbeck had his head down but when he saw where the pad landed, he immediately ejected Ramirez.

"He's human," Ramirez said of the umpire. "He makes mistakes. That's a ball, but he's a good guy. I just threw my pad and I was walking to left field."

Before the game, Manny being Manny became Manny being McGwire.

Stealing a page from another cheating slugger, Ramirez clammed up when offered a chance to talk about his reasons for using performance-enhancing drugs that led to his suspension.

"You guys want to talk about the game, we talk about the game," Ramirez said about three hours before the game. "I'm not talking about anything that I talked [about] in San Diego."

Ramirez returned to the Dodgers on Friday in San Diego and gave a press conference that didn't bring any clarity to the circumstances surrounding his suspension.

When asked why he wouldn't discuss anything other than the game he said, "Because that's in the past."

Sitting in front of his locker, which had a bottle of supplements and a trophy that read "Best Lover" on the top shelf, Ramirez ducked nearly every question directed at him.

Give Manny a pass -- pregnancy makes you moody.

I know it's a little late, but what a joke that game was with Derek Jeter getting called out stealing 3rd base. The officiating REALLY stunk. Needed to vent that. Otherwise, go Yanks! Just haven't been able to catch a break until now Maybe the Yanks can continue on their good success lately. The bullpen for Boston looks shaky now. Any problems there TSA? Our's has just been lucky, not so much skill ;)

I know it's a little late, but what a joke that game was with Derek Jeter getting called out stealing 3rd base. The officiating REALLY stunk. Needed to vent that. Otherwise, go Yanks! Just haven't been able to catch a break until now Maybe the Yanks can continue on their good success lately. The bullpen for Boston looks shaky now. Any problems there TSA? Our's has just been lucky, not so much skill ;)

Yanks have looked good and yes, the Red Sox bullpen has looked shaky. I knew they were due for a let down at some point but this is not good timing. Rays are still making me nervous and they seem to be getting their pitching back on track which is what I was afraid of.

The AllStar break is coming at a good time, the Red Sox need to get healthy and find another bat somewhere.

Pedroia might sit out the Allstar game because of his wife's pregnancy complications. Hope everything works out well for them.

c23, did you hear the rumor that the Yanks might be trying to get into the Holliday sweepstakes and are consdiering offering up Joba in a deal?

Yeah TSA, the All Star break is coming up just in time. I said this last week, but it is true now more so than ever. Our Bullpen has been so incredible all year, but they've now blown 2 games for us against the O's and KC. Two very light hitting teams. Masterson has been especially shaky.

Also getting Lowell back would help a lot, but they've said that he probably played too much the first half of the season and won't be able to play every game of the week now. We do need to look at getting another bat and we've got the pieces to do it with Lugo, Saito, Penny and some of our other minor leaguers being expendable right now.

Penny has been solid as a number 5 guy, but Smoltz absolutley has to be better right now. If he is not then I'd seriously consider calling up Buccholz for a start, seeing how he does and then try to work him into the rotation.

Luckily though it seems that Youk, Bay, Papi and Pedroia are heating up a bit.

Penny has been solid as a number 5 guy, but Smoltz absolutley has to be better right now. If he is not then I'd seriously consider calling up Buccholz for a start, seeing how he does and then try to work him into the rotation.

Luckily though it seems that Youk, Bay, Papi and Pedroia are heating up a bit.

I felt so bad for Brad Penny last night, he deserved that win leaving with a 4 run lead. He just doesnt get the breaks.

Papi and Pedroia look like they're back now and you know Youk and JBay wont be far behind. I'd still would really like to see what this team looks like when its firing on all cylinders.

im not giving up hughes for anyone... hes been lights out... only run in like 15 innins he gave up was to sox..maybea homer? cant remeber.. but now we go to house of horrors, vlad and hunter are both out i believe, mixed thoughts here, i have vlad on fantasy team, but this is the most confident as a yankee

fan i am going in there to play them in quite a few years.. big confidence builder for joba tonight, and u know they will run on posada.. i hated seeing cevelli go down, he brings alot of juice to the team

I've read the Yanks are NOT in the running for Holliday. They don't want to give up the prospects and the cash as well.

Man, I hate these West coast games. Always up so late, and with the Yanks, it's not like swing at everything. It's take our time, make em sweat, yada yada... come from behind, tie game, get the game going, slow it down.... sheesh.

3 things.

Congrats Jon Sanchez, congrats medford for the Dodgers still being in 1st place after all this time, and man, I hate playing the Angels.