The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

anaheim is house of horrors, 5-1 lead, yanks lose 10-6, and i stayed up to 130am, lets hope they win on fox today... derek j droppinga a popup?? crazy

They said he's just coming up for one game to ease the rotation and allow Beckett and Wake enough time before their next starts. Im anxious to see what he can do too.

AL or NL? Call it now....

AL 9-8

I like seeing Buccholz get a start. I really want to see what he can do with his head on straight and his mechanics back in sync. It definitely should help in case we need some pitchers down the stretch, that and if Dice K could ever get back to 100% this year.

I'm calling American League 8-5 tonight.

Tight game, extra innings? Better not with Beckett and Wake <_<

Edit: 3 more outs, lets go AL! What a catch by Carl Crawford to save Papelbon's cookies.

WooHoo! AL wins 4-3, Mariano shuts the door.

So....which one of our teams gets to take advantage of home field for the World Series? B)

great game, i think francona told madden not to pitched beckett or wake, beckett had that complete game sunday.. i still say yanks- bosox ALCS

Was kinda hoping the AL would lose so that when the Red Sox sweep the WS again this year, we could win it at home this time. [/sarcasm]

:lol: glad you said it.

I think it is funny that Paps got by by the skin of his teeth....like he's been doing all year......

BDD_CC_allstar_71409_reu.jpg

Crawford should get the save.

papelbon hasnt been the same pitcher

He's trying to add too many pitches and not really commanding any of them. The past couple of games he went back to his bread and butter and was lights out, he needs to stay with his fast ball and just mix in the others just to change things up. Mariano made his living out of one pitch, the cutter. Successful closers dont need variety, just perfect command.

Im concerned that upcoming contract talks this off season may be clouding his brain. :rolleyes:

Nice to see my man Crawford get the MVP nod to that hideously boring game.

Ya know, "THIS TIME IT COUNTS" is so stupid. Not only is home field advantage to the World Series such a stupid thing to put at stake on an exhibition game, but since the rule was instituted in 2003, the WS has only reached even a sixth game once. If you want to put something on it... how about the winning league plays by their DH/non-DH rule in the WS? Or better yet, both leagues play by the same rule for the remainder of the season. You wanna mix things up, that's what I'd go for.

Those are interesting Mike. I'm not too big on the winning the All star gets you home field advantage. I enjoy the Yanks getting as many breaks as possible, but I especially like the "how about the winning league plays by their DH/non-DH rule in the WS?" quote.

Report: Sox 'desperate' to trade Lugo

Globe Staff July 16, 2009 04:26 PM

With shortstop Jed Lowrie and third baseman Mike Lowell set to return from injuries this weekend and pitcher Clay Buchholz coming up from Pawtucket to start tomorrow , the Red Sox will need to make some alterations to their 25-man roster.

Logic suggests that the return of Lowrie spells the end in Boston for disappointing shortstop Julio Lugo, who signed a four-year, $36 million contract before the 2007 season.

This afternoon, FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal confirmed the obvious: The Red Sox are thinking the same way.

The Red Sox ... are "desperately" trying to trade shortstop Julio Lugo, according to a major-league source.

The Sox can demote first baseman Aaron Bates to clear a spot for Buchholz, then demote Buchholz to clear a spot for Lowell or Lowrie. But under virtually every scenario, Lugo would be the odd man out. If no deal is made, the Sox could release him, the source said.

The Red Sox have been trying to deal the erratic Lugo since last offseason, according to Rosenthal. But he has little appeal to teams in trade because he is due $9 million next season as well as the remainder of his $9 million salary this year.

As Rosenthal points out, while Lugo is batting .284 in limited time this season, the Sox are 11-16 when he starts at short, compared to a 42-15 record when Nick Green is in the lineup.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...t_sox_desp.html

What does that do to your payroll? Also, how likely is it that the Sox get Halladay or Holiday? I've been thinking of who we can deal and get in return. I know the Yanks would LOVE to trade Matsui, and Damon and Bruney as well. I think Damon has done just fine for us as a hitter, but defensively, he's not very reliable anymore, and they should of thought of that before signing him. Melky and Gardner are doing OK, I feel, until they can get a more reliable OF'r. Some relief help would be nice as well.

What does that do to your payroll? Also, how likely is it that the Sox get Halladay or Holiday?

Nothing, Lugo is still due his $9 mil for this year as well as next year too. I think we can assume the club wont pick up his option after that. The best case scenario is that he;ll clear waivers and some team will take a chance on him for low$. No way will any other team be willing to give anything up for him with his contract. I cant remember what the total was but today on XM they said that the Red Sox have wasted somewhere arouns $72 million on both Lugo and Rentaria. Both players didnt work out but at least they won a World Series with Lugo. Does $72 million even buy you a CC Sabbathia or Teixeira? :P

I think the Sox or the Yanks are unlikely to get Halliday because TO would be just stupid to deal within the division. Now Holliday..... I think we'll see him Red sooner than later. Damon has been a good hitter for the Yanks but his injuries and declining defense were why the Red Sox werent willing to sign him long term like the Yanks did. If the Yanks are willing to give up the farm for Holliday, I would seriously question their sanity.

I don't see where we'd have room for Holliday. He's not a CF, and unless one of Bay or Drew goes down, there's no room in the corner OF. I think it's more likely Theo would make a play for Halladay, but yeah I can't believe the Jays would trade him to the within the division, even though I've heard some talking heads say they would.

Looks like I have my Halliday/Hollidays mixed up :ph34r:

Btw, what happened to Ellsbury?

Looks like I have my Halliday/Hollidays mixed up :ph34r:

Btw, what happened to Ellsbury?

They said in the pregame show on the TOR network that Ellsbury was sick before the game.

I though Buchholz looked great tonight considering it was his first start back in a long while. I'd love to see him get another shot at the rotation as soon as possible.

Lugo to the Mets?

From DirtDogs.com:

Mets GM Omar Minaya said Sunday that he'll wait until Julio Lugo becomes a free agent before attempting to sign him.

Makes sense to us. Lugo is still owed over $13 million on his current deal with the Red Sox, and the Mets would probably have to assume some of that money if a deal was struck today. The shortstop was designated for assignment on July 17 and won't become an official free agent for another week.