The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Well Lugo is Dominican. And everyone from that area of the world ends up with the Mets at one time or another, so why not?

I'm now firmly in the camp that we need Buccholz up here in place of Smoltz. I'm wondering if Smoltz wouldn't work out better in the pen, he only seems to go about 4 or 5 decent innings now anyway.

To answer Warbird's title, I'd give up Smoltz, Penny and throw in Lugo for good measure to get Roy Halladay.

Well 1/2 of my wish came through......Buchholz is up......but Wake is on the DL. Boy did that come out of left field. Wake seemed perfectly fine, virtually had the entire All Star break off and still has a back strain. This is not good considering our recent hitting problems. Instead of replacing one weak link with a potentially strong link, we've gone strong for potentially strong and still have Penny and Smoltz, two guys who you aren't sure can get you past the 5th or 6th.

I'm hoping Wake and Dice K can come back strong and take spots in the rotation down the stretch, but our hitting has got to step up now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4348069' target="_blank">Red Sox call up Adam LaRoche from AAA Pittsburgh.[/post]

Actually it was a nice trade. LaRoche will cover 1st when Youk moves to 3rd to cover for Lowell. A couple of good prospects going the other way that dont even dent the Red Sox farm club.

From Dirtdogs.com:

According to WEEI's Alex Speier, the Pirates will receive shortstop Argenis Diaz and right-hander Hunter Strickland from the Red Sox for Adam LaRoche.

Diaz, a 22-year-old Venezuelan, was batting .253/.309/.310 with no home runs, 24 RBI and seven stolen bases this season for Double-A Portland. He has a great glove, but may never be a good enough hitter to land a starting gig in the majors. Strickland, 20, was 5-4 with a 3.35 ERA and a 51/13 K/BB ratio for Single-A Greenville. It's a nice inpouring of youth for the Pirates, but we're definitely not dealing with top prospects here.

Adam LaRoche - PIT According to Dejan Kovacevic of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, the Red Sox have acquired Pirates first baseman Adam LaRoche.

The 29-year-old is batting .247/.329/.441 this season with 12 home runs and 40 RBI. He can man first base for the Red Sox on days when Mike Lowell (hip) needs to be spelled by Kevin Youkilis at third.

You are telling me, Adam LaRoche is going to sit on the bench on the days when Youkalis and Lowell are in the lineup. LaRoche has been a starter since he came with the Braves and even when he was traded to the Pirates. Now he is going to being a bench player. Oh that is going to sit real well with him.

He was one of the biggest complainers on the Pirates when McLouth was traded, who knows how he acted when Morgan was traded, now he has been traded.

This is not the same Adam that was in Atlanta. Who knows how he is going to react to the pressure of Boston? He does have Jason Bay there so the transition probably won't be bad and Smoltz also.

Just don't get this trade at all. You got David Ortiz and Mark Kotsay who can spell Kevin Youkalis at 1B, so making a trade for Adam LaRoche isn't making much sense at all.

I am a Braves fan, having seen Adam come up in the Braves organization, if he isn't producing, you Red Sox fans will be all over him in a heart beat, we Braves fans were. He has mental lapses so expect it. Just giving you a heads up on what to expect from him.

Sox desperately need hitting right now and I think Lowell is more hurt than we're being told. Kotsay was the back up 1st baseman but he can also play right for JD Drew, so bringing in a bat who can play 1st makes good sense. Did you get that?

Sox fans are tough but as long as he comes in just trying to fit in, they get behind him until he proves otherwise. Bay has been in a huge slump, Pedroia was in a big slump and Papi still is in a slump but the fans keep rallying behind them.

LaRoche will be THRILLED to be the first bat off the bench and injury sub so long as he's out of Pittsburgh.

Ok, I didnt want say this but yeah, that too.

From Dirtdogs.com:

A brief breakdown of what the Red Sox' acquisition of Adam LaRoche means:

WHAT THEY GOT

With the Sox staggering after the All-Star, the need for an additional bat became more glaring. The Sox have hit .194 since the All-Star break while scoring 12 runs in five games and falling a game behind the New York Yankees in the American League East. The Sox have lost four straight; they haven’t lost five straight since April 23 to April 27 last year.

LaRoche’s substandard stats so far this season -- a .247 batting average, a .329 on-base percentage, and a .441 slugging percentage -- should not be taken as cause for alarm based on his career history. Before the All-Star break in his career, LaRoche has batted .252 with a .326 on-base and a .447 slugging. After the break, he is .296/.357/.544, which equates to an OPS jump of .773 to .901. Simply: LaRoche has been nearly a minor league player before the break and virtually an All-Star after it. LaRoche could add also some power. He has 12 home runs this season, and in 2006 with the Atlanta Braves, he hit a career-best 32 home runs.

In adding LaRoche, the Red Sox will have to alter their major league roster, meaning a Red Sox position player will likely be optioned or placed on the disabled list whenever LaRoche arrives. This is purely speculative, but Mark Kotsay has been battling a calf injury, and while it improved over the All-Star break, the Sox could give him more rest without sacrificing any infield versatility by putting him on the DL.

WHAT THEY GAVE

Neither Argenis Diaz nor Hunter Strickland were considered cornerstones of the Red Sox farm system. Diaz, 22, was on the 40-man roster. Diaz entered spring training in major league widely considered the best defensive player in the Red Sox system. He proved able at making flashy plays, but he consistently failed to make routine plays, a problem that followed him to Double A Portland. Diaz committed 18 errors this year.

Trading Diaz, in one sense, shows the Red Sox’ faith in Yamaico Navarro, who was promoted from Class A Salem this afternoon to take over in Portland. The Red Sox signed Navarro, 21, out of the Dominican Republic in 2005. In 23 games with Salem this season, Navarro hit .319 with a .915 OPS and made five errors. The Red Sox also recently Cuban defector Jose Iglesias, which might have helped make Diaz expendable.

Strickland, 20, had pitched for Greenville this year. The Red Sox drafted him out of high school in the 18th round in 2007. Strickland, who is 6-feet-5-inches, went 5-4 with Greenville this year with a 3.35 ERA and a 51-13 strikeout-to-walk ratio. He throws his fastball in the low-to-mid 90s.

Lugo to the Cardinals :o

The Red Sox today acquired outfielder Chris Duncan and a player to be named later (or cash) from the St. Louis Cardinals for shortstop Julio Lugo and cash considerations. Duncan will be optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket.

Busy day for Theo.

This has an eerie feeling like the beginning of the season. We win the first, then lose a whole bunch. Hopefully we can go on a big streak and take some games back since the Yanks have proven to be a very streaky team this year.

What really worries me is that in the past when we get in slumps we have at least been getting on base and scratching across some runs. Lately they haven't been walking either. We also have the big problem with Ellsbury. We need to get JD out of leadoff, but Ellsbury swings at everything so he has a horrible OBP. Getting a legit leadoff, and moving JD farther down the lineup where is hits better would solve some of our problems. Also even if Lowell is hurt more than we know then we've got his bat gone, Bay hasn't hit since the end of June, JD is batting .230, Papi has flatlined again around .220, and while Youk/Pedrioa are doing okay, they aren't doing well enough to carry the team. It sucks, but right now our lineup's age is showing.

Buerhleurlhele owes Wise dinner for the rest of the season after that catch in the 9th.

That was awesome. The Red Sox owe the White Sox dinner for holding back the Rays.

That is the one thing I love about baseball. When a no-no or perfect game is looming, everyone in the league (other than the opposing team and their fans) are cheering for that one player.

I was ecstatic when Wise made that catch. That was awesome!!

Do you think he'll stay in St. Louis though? While I'm no fan of all the money they've spent this offseason on the free agents, I would much rather have them do that, then trade away the farm all the time. They've made a small trade here and there, which really hasn't been bad so far. If we can find a way to get rid of Bruney for another struggling RP that might need a new setting, things will certainly by improving. Can't complain though, 7 straight I think. I'll take that all the time please. We're bound to lose a couple though playing on the west coast. Free Agency is almost to an end, so it'll be interesting where other bodies land.

Thank you Oakland, this is going to be a nail biter from here on out.

Adam LaRoche makes his Red Sox debut tonight.

Pretty good start for LaRoche I'd say ;)

I'd say too. Lugo is tearing up the NL and the Sox look to have found their groove again. If Bay is heating up again, the offense will be fine. Hopefully Smoltz has a good outing today

So I've got my torch and pitchfork ready.....anyone else ready to run Smoltz out of Boston???? ;)

Right when the offense looks like it'll get going again, he goes out and gives up 4 runs in one inning! It is SOOOO frustrating to watch him pitch right now. We need Wake back soon. Francona keeps preaching patience, but patience with a 42 year old pitcher who is long past his best days will kill you in a pennant race when you get a guaranteed loss every 5 days.

Only a few more days left in the trade agency. Rays talking trade with Kazmir (would love the Yanks to get him.) ... be interesting to see who the Sox get, where Doc goes (Philly??) or who the Yanks bring in.

The Sox offense seems to have a pulse at least. I still think a trade for a bat would be necessary to put us past the Yanks in the division race, but if we can sweep the A's we'll pick up ground on either the Yanks or Rays with their series. Rumor has it that the Sox are working on a big trade to go down, who knows what though.

I also don't think Tampa or Toronto will trade their ace pitchers within the division, it just seems counteractive to their goals of eventually supplanting the Sox/Yanks in the long term.

The Halladay saga is almost as bad as the Babchuk saga. I cant wait till the deadline passes on Friday.

Sources from both the Red Sox and Blue Jays tonight denied to the Globe that Boston had offered pitchers Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden and outfielder Ryan Westmoreland to Toronto for ace Roy Halladay, which had been reported this afternoon by Yahoo! Sports

Sources from both the Red Sox and Blue Jays tonight denied to the Globe that Boston had offered pitchers Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden and outfielder Ryan Westmoreland to Toronto for ace Roy Halladay, which had been reported this afternoon by Yahoo! Sports