The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Well instead of Halladay I'd LOVE the Victor Martinez/Cliff Lee deal a lot more because we'd get an impact bat and pitcher, but it seems the Rays are more willing to make that happen right now. I like Buchholz a lot, but I haven't seen anything from him other than that no-hitter that really makes me believe he'll ever evolve into a top of the rotation guy.

At this point, if the Sox don't win the division/World series, I don't see Pap staying. Personally, I think he's a schmuck, and his attitude reminds me of John Rocker, if anyone remembers that POS. I can't place my finger on an individual thing, but he just reminds me of him.

BTW, what was UP with the game last night? A's come back and win it in 11th. Helped the Yanks keep their place, since they lost. Thanks Paps ;)

Well instead of Halladay I'd LOVE the Victor Martinez/Cliff Lee deal a lot more because we'd get an impact bat and pitcher, but it seems the Rays are more willing to make that happen right now. I like Buchholz a lot, but I haven't seen anything from him other than that no-hitter that really makes me believe he'll ever evolve into a top of the rotation guy.

I'm with you, Im not that impressed with Buchlotz and I think getting that no hitter actually hurt his development. He's shown he can excel at the minor league level but except for that one game, his consistency hasnt been great and hasnt shown much improvement to me. I'd be more than willing to package him up for a trade if it meant keeping Bard and Masterson in tact.

With Papelbon's contract concerns, I wonder if having a young Daniel Bard right behind him is making him uneasy. It should.

C23, with Mo in his last year or so, Papelbon is just the guy I see the Yankees pouncing on. If that ends up being the case, god speed. I know that primadonnas that think they are above the team dont sit well with Theo and company, and eventually dont find themselves in Boston anymore (see Pedro, Nomar and Manny). The Red Sox seem to always have a stash of young talent ready to replace those who think the team needs them more than they need the team.

In other news, the Dicek saga is starting to really heat up. I bet the Red Sox would be more than happy to get out from under his contract.

The Dice K situation is very interesting. I could see where he was coming from a little bit the past 2 years, he'd been healthy velocity wise and everything and I may have tended to believe the whole "let me do my own training regimen from Japan and I'll do better". However after the WBC he fell apart. And what did he do in the WBC? His own training regimen. He's got to realize that the lineups of the teams in Japan are only comparable to teams like KC and Pittsburgh. He hasn't been willing to just challenge hitters with his stuff and that has earned him the nick name in Boston of "The Nibbler". If he isn't going to work on improving his performance of the past 2 years and is simply going to rip the Red Sox organization and practically the whole of American baseball, then I'd love for him to pull a Bartolo Colon and go AWOL so we can void ourselves of the remainder of his contract.

Phillies are looking pretty tough with the addition of Cliff Lee, that would take them out of the Halliday sweepstakes.

Tito taking a tough stance with DiceK:

Manager Terry Francona spoke with Daisuke Matsuzaka on Wednesday and said afterward that the recent saga with the pitcher blaming the team for his shoulder trouble will "blow over."

Francona says he was "disappointed" that Matsuzaka had revealed details of a closed-door meeting, but added, "I talked to Daisuke again today on the way to the ballpark and explained to him how this is going to work. And the thing I said is, not everybody is perfect... we all make mistakes. What is important is how we move on after we make those mistakes. He was actually great. I think he owned up to the fact that he made the mistake."

hope yanks dont move out of panic , reacting to possible red sox move for doc, . i like to get washburn, but looks like seattle are buyers not sellers..

kasmir to yanks.. love to see that..cant see tampa doing that.. i too believe theo is going to pull a mega deal..

With Lee off the market now it looks like if you want an ace Halladay is the way to go. Personally I would prefer to stay away from Halladay because of the number of prospects we'd have to give up to address something I don't think we need. I feel fine with a staff of Beckett, Lester, Wakefield, Buccholz and Penny if that is how it shakes out. I think we need more production from someone like Adrien Gonzalez of the Padres to help to jump start Jason Bay and/or a shortstop with some offensive upside like Toronto's Scutaro.

I agree we need a bat more than another arm. I can see a justification for going after Halladay or whoever. You can never have enough pitching, and I don't see any truly sure bets in our rotation after Beckett and Lester. Wake's been good, certainly, but his next meltdown game could always be just around the corner, if he even gets back to where he was. Hopefully at least a couple of Buchholz, Penny, Smoltz, or even DiceK (lol) can rise to the occasion, but I can see wanting to add insurance. But yeah I'd be a lot more interested in adding a bat. Problem is, there aren't a lot of openings. If we got Victor Martinez, who goes to the bench? Wouldn't be Tek. He could play first, so you'd have to work him, Youk, Lowell and Papi in between 1B/3B/DH, at least until Lowell gets hurt again. SS is the most obvious place to plug a new guy, not sure who's available there though.

All that said, I gotta believe Theo's gonna do something. How often has he stood pat at deadlines? Some of his moves work (O. Cabrera, Bay), some don't (Jeff Suppan, Eric Gagne), but I think his track record says to expect him to try something.

As for Papelbon, he does seem to have gone from being the class clown to a primadonna over the last year or so. But we've shown with Manny we'll give primadonnas a lot of rope until their antics go over the top. On the other hand, Manny's production didn't really decline nor was there an obvious in-house replacement for him like Bard is for Papelbon. Still, hard for me to us trying to break in a rookie closer in the middle of a pennant race.

I agree we need a bat more than another arm. I can see a justification for going after Halladay or whoever. You can never have enough pitching, and I don't see any truly sure bets in our rotation after Beckett and Lester. Wake's been good, certainly, but his next meltdown game could always be just around the corner, if he even gets back to where he was. Hopefully at least a couple of Buchholz, Penny, Smoltz, or even DiceK (lol) can rise to the occasion, but I can see wanting to add insurance. But yeah I'd be a lot more interested in adding a bat. Problem is, there aren't a lot of openings. If we got Victor Martinez, who goes to the bench? Wouldn't be Tek. He could play first, so you'd have to work him, Youk, Lowell and Papi in between 1B/3B/DH, at least until Lowell gets hurt again. SS is the most obvious place to plug a new guy, not sure who's available there though.

All that said, I gotta believe Theo's gonna do something. How often has he stood pat at deadlines? Some of his moves work (O. Cabrera, Bay), some don't (Jeff Suppan, Eric Gagne), but I think his track record says to expect him to try something.

As for Papelbon, he does seem to have gone from being the class clown to a primadonna over the last year or so. But we've shown with Manny we'll give primadonnas a lot of rope until their antics go over the top. On the other hand, Manny's production didn't really decline nor was there an obvious in-house replacement for him like Bard is for Papelbon. Still, hard for me to us trying to break in a rookie closer in the middle of a pennant race.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. With Manny, he was producing and we had no viable back up for him. With Pap, he's struggling and a youngster with just a little more seasoning needed is knocking on the door.

I've been talking and emailing with friends in Boston and the whole city (and potentially the team too) seems to be waiting for Theo's big move. After watching Brad Penny tonight, I'm all for Halliday....and sign him to a nice extension while Theo's at it. Valiant effort tonight but when you start out down 5 runs in the 1st inning, its just not going to be your night.

Side note: I loved Mike Lowell getting some DH time. 5 rbi's says he did too.

Yeah, after Penny's breakdown tonight I'm all in favor of going after Halladay. I also think getting their SS, Scutaro, would be perfect for the Sox. He sees a lot of pitches, plays Gold Glove defense, and can slide into the leadoff spot if Ellsbury gets in a slump although he's been hitting well lately.

If we don't get Halladay, I see Theo getting someone completely off the radar that SportsCenter doesn't have plastered all over their airwaves.

EDIT: Well it is out the bag now. Papi and Manny tested positive in '03. I feel terrible. This guy was one of the most beloved figures in all of sports history and his legitimacy is all into question now. Yankee fans are going to have an absolute field day today. You cannot call into question the '04 or '07 championships like you can't take away the Yankees championships with Clemens/Pettite and others on those teams. The accomplishments of the teams are valid because now it seems that every damn star in the MLB then were on them, but everyone of these players who tested positive need to have an asterisk by all their records. This saddens me beyond belief and I simply am in shock that Papi was named.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

According to the New York Times, David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs in 2003.

The now-infamous 2003 list of positive tests is slowly trickling out. It's not a huge surprise that Manny tested positive, but Ortiz was not mentioned in the Mitchell Report and has not been linked to performance-enhancers until now. In fact, he told reporters this winter that he felt convicted steroid users should be banned for an entire year. "So what would I do? I won't use it," Ortiz said back in February, "and I'm pretty sure that everybody is on the same page."

Please tell me the Albert was clean. :(

Sadly, Im not that suprised but I was holding out hope. Its a common theme, once elite all time great player slowly breaks down and numbers decrease each season...all too soon and too quickly to make any sense.

Maybe now it wont be as hard to cut ties with him when his contract expires, maybe Theo has found his out with him? Just what the Red Sox need right now, another distraction. Curious how the NYTimes picked right now to break the story, Id look for the media war between these two ball clubs to be an all out fight now. Look for some new unsettling story about Arod's personal life to be printed next. <_<

I'm not a huge baseball fan but I think a lot more big names will be on this 2003 list. Ortiz, Ramirez and Rodriguze are not going to be the only big players on it.

I will hold out hope that Albert Pujols is, and always has been clean. :angry:

Lets hope so. We still haven't seen any other big name pitchers caught using steroids besides Clemens.

Nomar was just interviewed on NESN and he said something interesting. He said that players he knew refused the test and told them to just add their names to list to make ure the final # of positive tests was over 5%. If so, then the league would make testing madatory which is what the majority of players wanted. They were told the list would be destroyed once they had all their numbers.

I never heard that one and if its true that players had their names added without even taking the test, this is going to be more of a circus than it already is. I hope Papi just comes clean and does what Andy Pettite did. Seems like the best way for a little damage control. And Manny better keep his trap shut, he's already shown that he continued to take...something...even after 03 so he better just keep quiet till he needs to speak.

Wow. I hadn't heard that TSA. That is just another thing that is going to get lost in all of this. Everyone is declaring Ortiz dirty as they come (he very well could be and likely is as dirty as Bonds/Manny/Clemens/ARod and the rest of the gang, but until the entire truth comes out - like it did in A-Rod's case - I'm reserving some judgment even though I'm still very disappointed in Ortiz for allowing this to happen)

The one thing I want ASAP is for Ortiz to find out and release what exactly he tested positive for. This was in '03, before the PED's were banned in baseball. The fact that neither Ortiz or Manny (or A-Rod/Pettite for that matter) tested positive after the fact (until Manny did earlier this year) makes this whole thing much more complicated as well. There is an article on Boston Globe which quoted Arroyo about how tainted andro (not banned til '06) was widely used back then and could've caused positive tests. This whole thing continues to lead to the whole, put asterisks by the player's records, but you cannot call into question the accomplishments of a single team.

Quite frankly, until the list is completely released, and the drugs that each individual player was on, I don't think we can make any assumptions about who is or isn't on that list. These slimeball lawyers need to be quieted through the release all of the info on the list so specific players aren't targeted. I mean right now they hold leverage over the entire sport. What if the Cards play in the WS, and they happen to choose right before Game 1 to 'leak' Pujols' name? This whole thing is very messy and until all the info is public we won't ever know the truth. It is time for Selig to step down though, I don't think anything substantial will ever be done under him to uncover the skeleton's in baseball's past.

Is anyone following the trade dealine stuff today? I hope Theo doesnt lose his mind and deal the whole farm for a rental or two. The asking prices are just rediculous if you believe what's written.

3:21 p.m. Yahoo! Sports's Gordon Edes reports that the Red Sox have dealt Adam LaRoche to the Braves for first baseman Casey Kotchman. Kotchman, 26, is batting .282 with six homers and 41 RBIs this season. LaRoche spent the first three years of his career with the Braves. He was acquired by the Red Sox on July 22 from the Pirates for a pair of prospects.

3:19 p.m. The Globe's Tony Massarotti confirms that, according to a baseball source, the Red Sox have traded Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone and Bryan Price to the Indians for Victor Martinez.

thats not bad for martinez. But do you think he'll stay in Boston?

Who knows. I have a feeling there's more to this deal coming. I also would have liked to have kept Masterson and traded Bucholtz, they must see something Im missing with Bucholtz.

A no hitter, ;)

LOL, sadly you're probably right.

3:25 p.m. The New York Post's Joel Sherman confirms that the Yankees have acquired utilityman Jerry Hairston Jr. from the Reds.

Yeah, i saw that earlier, but didn't feel like mentioning anything. Lots of yank fans in forums are PO'd that we didn't make some big name trade. I'm glad we haven't. Our team is clicking right now, we're tied with the dodgers for the best record in MLB right now (or we did last night anyway), and this is a nice little pick up. He can play CF/OF until Gardner comes back, and he can be INF as well. Good UTIL man. Hinkse is a good PH, Hairston is a good fielder, nuff said.

I dont think the Yanks need to do anything either, they did it all last winter and it just took a while to click.

Im kind of hoping Smoltz may agree to pitch long relief out of the pen with Masterson now gone. Not sure the future Hall of Famer will go for that.

Boston sent Adam LaRoche to the Braves for Casey Kotchman, who is probably going to come off the bench for the Sox.

As for Smoltz, I am not sure he is going to want to go to the bullpen. When he return from the last major surgery, when with the Braves, he wanted to start, not return to the Bullpen.

I can tell you, as a Braves fan, I am not thrilled with this trade. Kotchman might not hit a ton of HR's but he didn't have ONE error while with the Braves. Now that is what you call GG play. He had saved several of the guys errors with his outstanding glove play.

What do you all think of the possible Dodgers/Padres blockbuster deal of Gonzalez/Bell for Loney and others (unsure of who)? Kevin Towers wants a boat load of players for these two.

Between the Pirates and Padres, they are holding a major fire sale that have made what the Marlins did after winning their 2 WS mild in comparison.

Peavy ain't pitching again this yr and yet Towers trades him for the White Sox 2 top prospects and two other prospects. :huh: Peavy gives his approval on this deal but wouldn't in May, what changed in 2 months, an injury or playing for a winner?

Both.