The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GreatsavebyGerber

MLB Thread: Opening Day 2014

Yeah, both. He wasn't wanted there, and he was wanted else where. Peavy returns next year I believe, and so he'll get to know his teammates before hand, and the transition stage is done and over with before the beginning of the season. Still though...

I think this is one of the first years the Yanks haven't traded for someone major. Wow. :huh::blink:

I just don't get the whole Kotchman trade. I understand with Martinez and LaRoche we would have too many LH bats, but I think that we still should've looked to get a SS. I don't understand why we turned down a trade for Orlando Cabrera that was offered over the past few weeks.

Anyway, I liked Masterson, but he was struggling big time recently. I still don't get what they see that is so great about Buccholz. I mean it isn't just the Sox either, he was the centerpiece to EVERY big blockbuster trade that the Sox were involved in. The problem with the team right now is we are just inconsistent in all phases. When our pitching was keeping us in games, the offense was falling flat. Now the pitching has dipped, but the offense is picking it up.

I just don't get the whole Kotchman trade. I understand with Martinez and LaRoche we would have too many LH bats, but I think that we still should've looked to get a SS. I don't understand why we turned down a trade for Orlando Cabrera that was offered over the past few weeks.

Anyway, I liked Masterson, but he was struggling big time recently. I still don't get what they see that is so great about Buccholz. I mean it isn't just the Sox either, he was the centerpiece to EVERY big blockbuster trade that the Sox were involved in. The problem with the team right now is we are just inconsistent in all phases. When our pitching was keeping us in games, the offense was falling flat. Now the pitching has dipped, but the offense is picking it up.

If I read it right, Orlando Cabrerra refused to go back to Boston. I cant find the link where I read that earlier today.

The Twins actually added a player...stunning, I know, but true. It's not much, but plenty for a Twins fan like myself who's use to losing players instead of gaining them.

Oh I hadn't read that TSA. That's odd though. I really wish we could've ended up adding him. I would've loved to keep Green as a utility man, but I would've used Lowrie as a trade bait throw in on some deal for a starting SS.

At least the offense looks to have found its groove again. The big 2nd half story right now is what the Sox are gonna do with Smoltz........

Good insight into why Theo made the moves he did: (did I mention I love Mazz)

The day the Red Sox made their move

Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff July 31, 2009 05:47 PM

Statistically speaking, based solely on run differential, the best three teams in baseball reside in the American League East. At least one of them will not make the playoffs. Today, the Red Sox took a major step in ensuring that they will not be the odd team out.

And so, on a deadline day in which the Sox swapped Adam LaRoche for Casey Kotchman while adding Victor Martinez for a package of three players (Justin Masterson, Nick Hagadone, Bryan Price), the other good news was this: The Tampa Bay Rays did nothing and the New York Yankees added only a role player. The Red Sox addressed one of their greatest weaknesses, in the short term and the long, while their primary competitors made no significant upgrades in what is sure to be a heated competition during the final two months of the season.

Depending on the precise tweaks by Sox manager Terry Francona, the Red Sox now can put together lineups that look something like this:

VS. RIGHTHANDERS

1. Jacoby Ellsbury, CF

2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B

3. Victor Martinez, 1B

4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B

5. David Ortiz/Mike Lowell, DH

6. Jason Bay, LF

7. J.D. Drew, RF

8. Jason Varitek, C

9. Jed Lowrie, SS

Bench: Lowell

So whoever thought it was a great idea to trade Masterson our long reliever and not Mr Untouchable, Clay Bucholtz, I hope they're happy that 17 18 runs and 21 23 hits wont guarantee you a win. :angry:

The good news is that Victor Marinez has gone 5-6 with 4rbi's.

Yeah. I really don't get the league's infatuation with Buccholz. I'm hoping he proves me, and a lot of other Sox fans wrong, but he really hasn't done a single thing since that no-no. I don't think it was just the no hitter that did it either because he was the top prospect even before that. He either needs a change of scenery or is always going to be one of those tweener guys, awesome in AAA, but can barely cut at the majors.

Thank goodness our offense is back in form though to pick up Smoltz and Buccholz. I like Martinez and what he brings, but I still wish we'd acquired a SS. If we really had to give up Masterson then I would've liked to have traded Buccholz for a SS with some pop to give us an all around well rounded line up. Then we still would've had Bowden, Tazawa and Kelly in the system.

Honestly, the Yanks didn't NEED to add a high-end player, while giving up a good prospect. We're in 1st, Sox are in 2nd. Other way around, Yanks probably would have given up Ajax or Joba or Hughes, and we dont need to do that. Also, Hal gave Giriadi options. He could either get Tex now in the offseason, and not spend money during the season, or don't get tex now, and spend some cash/prospects at the deadline... supposedly.

Lots of Yanks aren't thrilled we didn't get anybody, but honestly. we don't have a TON of prospects that we can do that. We have 2 in the rotation/pen right now, who supposedly have limits on how many innings pitched. With the exception to the 2 nights we've had in Chicago, we've been clicking and really rolling, ya know? Gardners on the DL, and we need some pen help and end of rotation help. We can get that with waiver deals, so no biggie on not getting Doc Halladay, Cliff Lee, or Washburn.

I'm with you on that one TSA. I know some guys may have talked a little about roids, but Papi was so far against them in the past few years that I feel it is hard to believe that he was that stupid to know that he did them as well. The longer he goes though, the less and less faith I have in whatever story comes up with.

The andro thing is plausible though. Arroyo was quoted saying that he wouldn't be surprised if he tested positive because of the bad andro (legal in baseball until '06 from what I've read) that was lined with some steroids that no one knew of.

Also for anyone else who watched the 13 inning marathon between the Sox/Rays last night........why would you EVER pitch to Longoria in that situation. There are 2 outs and there are 2 bases open.....you walk one of the best RBI men in the league. Sorry, but that seems like a no brainer.

Also for anyone else who watched the 13 inning marathon between the Sox/Rays last night........why would you EVER pitch to Longoria in that situation. There are 2 outs and there are 2 bases open.....you walk one of the best RBI men in the league. Sorry, but that seems like a no brainer.

I loved it. :)

I loved it. :)

I didn't. :( When Eva Longoria came up to the plate, we were all screaming "walk him!"

Guess Tito didnt hear us.

I think I dread our games in Tampa more than just about anywhere else, including NY and LA. Bad *edit* always happens to us there, even when they sucked (thinking of Pedro getting into a fight w/ Gerald Williams there some years ago).

(as I type this, Pena hits a two-run shot to put them in the lead. going to Yankee Stadium will be a relief after this.)

I think I dread our games in Tampa more than just about anywhere else, including NY and LA. Bad *edit* always happens to us there, even when they sucked (thinking of Pedro getting into a fight w/ Gerald Williams there some years ago).

(as I type this, Pena hits a two-run shot to put them in the lead. going to Yankee Stadium will be a relief after this.)

I blame the stadium. Catwalks, balls stuck in equipment bags and carpet? The Durham Bulls have a much better stadium than the Rays.

....and the lack of clutch hitting by the Red Sox

What the?????

The Red Sox have signed free-agent righthander Paul Byrd to a minor league contract. Byrd, 38, is expected to pitch in the minor leagues and be ready to join the major league staff around Sept. 1 according to FoxSports.com's Ken Rosenthal. He has yet to pitch this season.

I sure hope this isnt the answer. :huh:

Who saw that one coming? Boston signing Paul Byrd. Makes you wonder what Theo is thinking about in making this signing.

Being a Braves fan is the debate whether to bring Jason Heyward up to the big club or just promote him to Triple A Gwinnett. Folks, I saw this kid last yr when he played with Rome. He was in Hickory with the Rome Braves and he had a good night including a monster HR over the Right Field wall with 2 men on. The Right Field wall at the Hickory Crawdads stadium is high with Ad Signs so he had to clear it which means it was high, long and deep. He ran the bases well too. Right now he is at Double A and hitting .422 and outrageous OPS of 1.227. He will turn 20 on Sunday. Buster Olney says he will be the next Atlanta Braves.

We aren't that far out in the WC, if bringing up Jason Heyward and his bat to assist the Braves to getting back to the playoffs, then I say do it. We did it in 05 with Mac and Frenchy ala Baby Braves. Both of them came from Double A to help this team to the playoffs, I don't see why not Heyward.

Theo is only thinking about relief pitching. Byrd wasnt the answer last season and he wont be this year. We really could have used Justin Masterson yesterday. <_<

I dont know anything about the Braves but if they're not really that close, why not bring up some new talent and see what he can do. Sometimes that might be all thats needed to spark the team a little.

Right when our offense started to turn it around, our pitching let us down again. Lester pitched a good game with little offensive help, but the 'pen let it go. Then tonight Penny did what he's been doing the last month, giving up about 4 or more runs in 5 or less innings. Then when you couple that with Smoltz and Buccholz, our losses when Beckett or Lester pitches hurt just that much more. I still don't see why we were so obstanant to trade Clay, but we let Masterson go. Masterson has had FAR better results than Buccholz. Even though I'm sick of Dice K and dread watching him pitch, I'd take him any day over Smoltz or Penny. I'd much rather have 5 innings of 2 run baseball (no matter how nerve racking it is) than 5 innings of 5 or more run baseball.

I cannot wait to see Wakefield and even Dice K back right now. I'm hoping and praying Buccholz can figure it out, but ever since his no-no, he's been an absolute mess. And I agree completely TSA, I dread games in Tampa more than anywhere right now. The Red Sox are not built for speed or stopping speed, mix that with the speed and quickness of the Rays and how their ballpark plays to their strengths and you've got some automatic losses for the Sox.

This should at least make us laugh. From dirtdogs.com:

To the tune of Yesterday (the Beatles)

Yesterday,

Pitching troubles seemed so far away,

Now it looks as though they're here to stay,

Oh, I bought in to trading Clay.

Suddenly,

Wakefield's half the man he used to be,

Penny's belly hanging over me,

Sox swept away, so suddenly.

Why he

Cannot throw I don't know, Dice wouldn't say.

Tito said,

Something's wrong, now we long for yesterday.

Yesterday,

This was such an easy game to play,

Now first place has slipped away,

Oh, I believed in Jason Bay.

Saito

Had to throw, Why? Don't know, what did Tito say?

I said,

Evan's going long, now we long for yesterday.

Yesterday,

Boston stayed out of the steroid fray,

Now Papi needs a place to hide away,

Ortiz gets grilled, at 4 today.

And old John Smoltz will pitch today

Mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm-mm.

-- With apologies to Sir Paul

Who knew that losing Wake would throw off the whole rotaion? And since Wake is on the DL, why on earth wasnt Kottaras sent down instead of Josh Reddick? Oh yeah, because its always a great idea to have a SS playing left field :rolleyes:

Funny how the rotation didnt skip a beat without Dicek, but fell apart without Wake. I fully expect the Yankees to take full advantage of the Red Sox over the next few days. With all the pitching questions, Bay being out and JD Drew in and out, I predict a good week for you Yankee fans.

Feel. The Heat. RAYS!!! Now you guys need to go into New York and take out the trash so we can bunch this thing up for the stretch run. If the Yanks take 3 of 4, let alone sweep, I think the division race is done and we'll be playing for the WC.

even when they sucked (thinking of Pedro getting into a fight w/ Gerald Williams there some years ago)

The broken cross almost psuedo-perfect game game!! Awesome. I think that night may have signified the last absolutely dominant performance by Pedro, the end of his big run as best player in baseball.

Oh, and I forgot: RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING RAH-DING

(They have cowbells here in Montgomery now for the Rays AA team - and they're no less annoying here, I promise.)

The one team I am really surprise that didn't make noise was the Mets. This team has been hit with the injury bug. As a Braves fan, finally they know what it feels like. Considering we have gone through it.

Talk to me when the Braves have $60 Million worth of players on the DL.

I dont know. The Angels have always had our number. And lately, it seems the Sox (take your pick of white or red) have had our number as well. We'll see what happens the next 4 days. Either way, I hope we can at least take 2 out of 4.

Also, Rays are unmistakably underrated. They have an incredible team that really meshes VERY well. Add to the fact Arod hasn't homered in i think 60 at bats, and there goes his pop, unless he can find it in Yankee Stadium and send a few (or 5 for that matter) over the all with RISP.